What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but ever since my Nexus 5 updated to the latest android, the battery life is the suck. And, it charges really slowly.

I don't think it was this bad before the upgrade.

Anyone else experience this, and is there a fix?

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but ever since my Nexus 5 updated to the latest android, the battery life is the suck. And, it charges really slowly.

I don't think it was this bad before the upgrade.

Anyone else experience this, and is there a fix?
no, not normal.

should charge approx 1% a minute.

not sure if there's a fix, but I assume that a factory reset is not the most of ideal situations for you.... but may work?

Id suggest the ROM/custom kernel route, but not everyone is comfy with that route

So the S6 won't have a microsd card slot or a user replaceable battery from what I'm reading? That seems like two nice selling points that are going bye bye.

So the S6 won't have a microsd card slot or a user replaceable battery from what I'm reading? That seems like two nice selling points that are going bye bye.
correct.

tho the battery is supposed to get crazy life, and wireless charging as well.. and something like a 10min charge will give you 3-4hr battery life

correct.

tho the battery is supposed to get crazy life, and wireless charging as well.. and something like a 10min charge will give you 3-4hr battery life
have the s5 and its just so easy to carry an extra battery for a long day. i really liked being able to do that. I can't imagine how much better the battery life could be.

ETA: You got a link that talks about how good the battery life will be. From what I'm seeing, the battery will actually be smaller, but with the same life as the s5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing in that about battery life being any better than it is now. I'm not upgrading now regardless especially since there's nothing really new in that phone so hopefully they take a lot of slack for this and revert back to the removable battery in the s7.

Oh no, the apple guys are back to the "Samsung copied blah blah blah" schtick. I thought that was retired years ago when apple was making cute little toys for women and children while Samsung/HTC/LG were producing phones for grown ### men.
Wasn't this thread created because all the Apple guys were whining about non-Apple guys in the Apple thread? :lol:

Definitely disappointed in the S6. The removable battery and SD card aren't a deal breaker since my Moto X doesn't have either. I'm up for an upgrade in November and was definitely looking forward to the S6. Now, I hope something better comes out between now and November.

MattFancy said:
Definitely disappointed in the S6. The removable battery and SD card aren't a deal breaker since my Moto X doesn't have either. I'm up for an upgrade in November and was definitely looking forward to the S6. Now, I hope something better comes out between now and November.
Something better is already out with the Nexus 6. Bigger is better.

Android and Apple Browsers a Security Risk

About a third of all encrypted websites were vulnerable as of Tuesday, including sites operated by American Express, Groupon, Kohl's, Marriott and some government agencies, the researchers said. University of Michigan computer scientist Zakir Durumeric said the vulnerability affects Apple web browsers and the browser built into Google's Android software, but not Google's Chrome browser or current browsers from Microsoft or Firefox-maker Mozilla.
Times are certainly changing when Microsoft isn't the one behind on security.

No removable battery? I'm out.
agreed. but i fear the removable battery is a dying breed. I don't get it.. it's awesome, you're down to like 10%, you're on the go, you pull your spare charged battery out of your pocket, pop it in, and you're at 100% for the rest of the day until you can get back to your on the wall battery charger... and your phone is never a slave to a wall plug in

agreed. but i fear the removable battery is a dying breed. I don't get it.. it's awesome, you're down to like 10%, you're on the go, you pull your spare charged battery out of your pocket, pop it in, and you're at 100% for the rest of the day until you can get back to your on the wall battery charger... and your phone is never a slave to a wall plug in
I'm guessing now that portable chargers are so small and easily carried that they are the alternative. I have a small one but I have to keep that charge and have the small cable. I don't agree with it but I guess that is a thought process. Just stupid IMO

About a third of all encrypted websites were vulnerable as of Tuesday, including sites operated by American Express, Groupon, Kohl's, Marriott and some government agencies, the researchers said. University of Michigan computer scientist Zakir Durumeric said the vulnerability affects Apple web browsers and the browser built into Google's Android software, but not Google's Chrome browser or current browsers from Microsoft or Firefox-maker Mozilla.
Um, my android phone uses Chrome. I'm guessing the ones who don't are still back on Android 3.something. Meaning they're years old and not being updated.

seriously? i've got a droid turbo with an insane battery life to begin with. the charger i have with it is specially designed to do a superfast re-charge. something like 25% in like 15 mins.

Um, my android phone uses Chrome. I'm guessing the ones who don't are still back on Android 3.something. Meaning they're years old and not being updated.
Well, my first smartphone was a Galaxy S5 so you may be right. I was under the impression that the OS had a browser as part of the install so you didn't have to download other browsers etc. I've never looked on my phone to try and find one though. That would be the browser they are talking about. They may have nixed that now in favor of all Chrome all the time. It wouldn't surprise me at all. If true, that leaves Apple flapping in the wind. I've always used Chrome simply because it makes sense for a seamless experience between computer and phone.

seriously? i've got a droid turbo with an insane battery life to begin with. the charger i have with it is specially designed to do a superfast re-charge. something like 25% in like 15 mins.
yeah, i'm dead serious. 15 min for 25% doesn't impress me at all. I don't want to be plugged to the wall ever.. maybe if i'm asleep or porking.

Well who knows when/if ever it will come to Verizon

yeah, i'm dead serious. 15 min for 25% doesn't impress me at all. I don't want to be plugged to the wall ever.. maybe if i'm asleep or porking.
Dentist is the 1%.

for this phone, that's like 8 hours of usage.

What kind of voodoo do you do that doesn't require charging via a plug plugged in somewhere?

What kind of voodoo do you do that doesn't require charging via a plug plugged in somewhere?
I don't think he counts charging his back up battery stash.

for this phone, that's like 8 hours of usage.
Maybe right now.

What about 2 years from now when the phone has had 6 hacked together android updates and a 2+ year old battery?

Part of the reason I'm still happy with my three year old S3 is that I have a basically brand new battery and can instantly boost back to 100% (with a simple battery change) any time I get low. The original battery in this phone will barely hold a charge for 3 hours now even at 100%.

my battery may be plugged into the wall, but i have 4 batteries, and so if i come home from a long day and my battery is down to 20% or so and I'm headed out for the night i'll switch out the battery, put a fresh one in the phone and another one in my pocket and I'll never be "that guy" who has his phone plugged into the wall or complains that their phone is dying, or has to use the "power station" at the airport or the ballpark... I'm always running hot

Well, my first smartphone was a Galaxy S5 so you may be right. I was under the impression that the OS had a browser as part of the install so you didn't have to download other browsers etc. I've never looked on my phone to try and find one though. That would be the browser they are talking about. They may have nixed that now in favor of all Chrome all the time. It wouldn't surprise me at all. If true, that leaves Apple flapping in the wind. I've always used Chrome simply because it makes sense for a seamless experience between computer and phone.
I don't know what Hulk is talking about. If you set Chrome to default the built browser will never get used.

My phone is 18 months old and updated. My Note 3 has a built in browser and chrome. I don't use either

totally agree. i got 2 batteries and the charger for 25 bucks from amazon for my s5. I had an external charger prior to that but its just too damn big, you need to carry around a cord as well and its just ridiculous trying to use the phone while plugged in. So much easier with just the spare batteries.

my battery may be plugged into the wall, but i have 4 batteries, and so if i come home from a long day and my battery is down to 20% or so and I'm headed out for the night i'll switch out the battery, put a fresh one in the phone and another one in my pocket and I'll never be "that guy" who has his phone plugged into the wall or complains that their phone is dying, or has to use the "power station" at the airport or the ballpark... I'm always running hot
I really can't envision you, of all the posters here, with $80-$100 wrapped up in batteries :oldunsure:

I don't know what Hulk is talking about. If you set Chrome to default the built browser will never get used.

My phone is 18 months old and updated. My Note 3 has a built in browser and chrome. I don't use either
Yeah...I found the built in browser on my wife's phone...it's an s4. She got an update notice today and I told her to do it. Based on my readings if they can get to the phone (which really isn't hard in today's world of slack users) they can get in. Doesn't rely on one using the browser (though that would make it simpler)

Or you can just get a battery case for the phone that is the equivalent of 2x extra batteries, plus a protective casing. No need to carry or charge extra batteries. Just plug it in at night and go in the AM. Marginal added size over most normal protective cases. As a result my phone battery doesn't even see use/cycles until well after I've left work for the day.

I can kill the case and the phone, but it usually involves a low signal on top of higher than normal use. I'm a power-user though... I'll kill my iPhone 6 in ~4-5 hours on average if I don't have a battery case on it.

I'm talking about how Chrome is the default browser for Android. The old Android browser has been dead for over a year. Of course it has security holes. The original article was ridiculous for pointing that out.

ETA: My Nexus 5 doesn't even have the old android browser. Just chrome. The article says "browser built into Android software" = hacked, Chrome = not hacked. The browser built into Android IS Chrome, and has been for a long while.

What is a long while? I'm just curious. As we have the built in browsers we never used but our phone aren't that old.

You are on NEXUS but most other phones have a stock browser still, AFAIK

Or you can just get a battery case for the phone that is the equivalent of 2x extra batteries, plus a protective casing. No need to carry or charge extra batteries. Just plug it in at night and go in the AM. Marginal added size over most normal protective cases. As a result my phone battery doesn't even see use/cycles until well after I've left work for the day.

I can kill the case and the phone, but it usually involves a low signal on top of higher than normal use. I'm a power-user though... I'll kill my iPhone 6 in ~4-5 hours on average if I don't have a battery case on it.
thanks, but no thanks. one I can buy a whole lot of batteries for that price two I don't even use a protective case, I usually buy the "mini" version of like a samsung s3 because i don't want it taking up much room in my pocket and i like my pant lines clean... there's no room for that type of hardware in my skinny jeans.

Pass.

What is a long while? I'm just curious. As we have the built in browsers we never used but our phone aren't that old.

I looked it up, it was Feb of 2012. All Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and higher have Chrome as their one and only stock browser.

So, the original article was pointing out that something that has been dead for 2 years has security holes. Ridiculous.

I looked it up, it was Feb of 2012. All Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and higher have Chrome as their one and only stock browser.

So, the original article was pointing out that something that has been dead for 2 years has security holes. Ridiculous.
Ok so the stock browser on my phone is from Samsung?

Not schitck.

Well who knows when/if ever it will come to Verizon
Coming March 12.

thanks, but no thanks. one I can buy a whole lot of batteries for that price two I don't even use a protective case, I usually buy the "mini" version of like a samsung s3 because i don't want it taking up much room in my pocket and i like my pant lines clean... there's no room for that type of hardware in my skinny jeans.

Pass.
What kind of phone do you have? Most batteries are in the $15-$20 range...if you have four (plus the one in your phone) you're well over that price.

Not schitck.
Should be chrome.

Pass.
What kind of phone do you have? Most batteries are in the $15-$20 range...if you have four (plus the one in your phone) you're well over that price.
s3 mini - i got my batteries at like 3 for $20 and that includes the charger. Wife is on the same program with her s3 regular

Not schitck.
Should be chrome.
I don't think it is. That's why I'm confused. Unless it is and the other one is also third party from Samsung and they set it up as default, My phone was released 2013 and is running 4.4.4.

Not being difficult just trying to learn.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz7IpOfeJJAqRXd1MVV4YldpeFE/view?usp=sharing

EDit: After some googling that looks like that's Samsungs browser not Android.

Sorry for my confusion

Soulfly3 said:
MattFancy said:
It's been really annoying lately not getting group texts from people
Never have this issue.

phone/os/carrier pls
Verizon Moto X (2013). Seems like it's a common Android problem when in a group text with iPhoners
Are you an old iPhone user? I'm guessing you've seen solutions like this, but just in case you haven't...

I've never had the problem, either, even after having had an iPhone before my Note 3. Of course, I never had iMessage turned on on my iphone. Never saw the point, since texts were unlimited anyway and I didn't have any other i devices.

Users who are viewing this thread