What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

I'm in a win now and I'm not too keen on what's-his-face at quarterback. Dak was on record pace to support Amari's decent production as is. I figured somebody not in contention this year would find him more valuable than I do.  
He is a pretty good buy low for someone rebuilding

I'm in a win now and I'm not too keen on what's-his-face at quarterback. Dak was on record pace to support Amari's decent production as is. I figured somebody not in contention this year would find him more valuable than I do.  
What was your asking price?

What was your asking price?
Why is Amari constantly marginalized? It sucks Dak is out and that will directly effect his ROS #'s. I'll be watching closely and buying if people start treating him like a Jarvis Landry later in his career. Some guys are good at football (fantasy and IRL). Amari fits into that category. And Lamb help Amari, IMO. 

It may be to do with high volume of plays Dallas have per game and giving them rest

was he shadowed yesterday? Going against top shadow CBs they don’t target him, unless they are behind (rams game).

last year it happened vs Rams, Ne and Jets (

Amari Cooper caught 7-of-10 targets for 79 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

This was fueled heavily by garbage time. Cooper was stuck on zero targets pretty deep into the first half but started to get peppered with them well after the game was out of hand. And that includes his meaningless one-yard touchdown catch with 2:48 left to play in the fourth quarter. Still, fantasy managers don't care how the numbers happen, so it was a nice rebound box score for Cooper after his 2-23 line in Week 5. Cooper will be a back-end WR2 for Week 7 at Washington.

Oct 19, 2020, 11:50 PM ET

Cooper will be a back-end WR2 for Week 7 at Washington.
Who are the 16 or so WR ranked ahead of him?

He is WR 5 in total points and WR 9 in PPG right now Washington is not a difficult match up. This doesn't add up.

That garbage TD gave me 2 wins last night in leagues that were truly must win games. I love when Dallas loses and still gives me garbage time points in FF! ;)

That garbage TD gave me 2 wins last night in leagues that were truly must win games. I love when Dallas loses and still gives me garbage time points in FF! ;)
I lost due to that late TD.  Terrible.  I needed a huge game out of Buddha Baker and he obliged and got me the lead.  The only thing to kill me was a late TD.  Ugh! I hate Amari Cooper

There will be plenty. 
I commented in the Game Thread last night which is loaded with some gems from a lot of different posters but...

Dalton even stunk at garbage time point as I posted...he had almost the entire 2nd half and didn't hit nothing until late int he 4th and Cooper was pretty non-existent. 

Look at the 18 play 60 yd Drive that ate up 6:00 in the 4th Down 31-3 at that time mind you. 

I would not want to be a Cooper owner right about now. And you have Lamb and Gallup and Schultz and Elliott that need targets and the Red Rifle is throwing 55 passes for 200 yds, good luck with that. 

I lost due to that late TD.  Terrible.  I needed a huge game out of Buddha Baker and he obliged and got me the lead.  The only thing to kill me was a late TD.  Ugh! I hate Amari Cooper
Sorry man, I hate losing like that, and honestly sometimes feel guilty winning like that as well. And I hate all things Dallas for the record ;)

Amari Cooper caught 1-of-5 targets for five yards in Week 8 against the Eagles.

It’s just the second time Cooper has been held under 75 yards this year. The entire Cowboys offense was held back by Ben DiNucci, who averaged 4.5 YPA. That should change with Andy Dalton expected back for a Week 9 matchup against the Steelers. Cooper is on pace for 108 catches, 1,176 yards and four touchdowns through the first half of the season.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:54 PM ET

I'm thinking of benching him but depends on Tim Patrick's health. The new QB is more encouraging than Dinucci but not by much since it's the Steelers they're going against. 

I lost last week because of Cooper.  No chance I play him this week.  I will play Jeudy and Shepard over him this week.
[I almost always pick badly.]
I am gambling on Amari and the unproven "minor league" (AAF) qb... against the ferocious Pitt defense...   
[/I almost always pick badly.]

Rest of the details: Amari was on the wire in a short-bench league and I'm on the playoff fringe and needing long-term help if I manage to sneak into the playoffs.  PPR but Need 65 yards minimum for yardage points. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Amari Cooper caught 6-of-8 targets for 112 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 12 loss to Washington.

Cooper arguably was the only Cowboys player to have a good game. His eight targets tied for the team high with Michael Gallup, but unlike Gallup, Cooper was able to make big plays down the field. Cooper roasted Bradley Roby down the sideline for a 54-yard touchdown, his third of the season. With the Cowboys losing their two starting offensive tackles on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys offense likely remains limited for the rest of 2020. Cooper is the best bet of the Cowboys' receivers to stay in fantasy starting lineups, but he'll only be a WR3 against the Ravens in Week 13. 

Nov 26, 2020, 8:13 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 5-of-9 targets for 53 yards and one touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 13 loss to the Ravens.

Cooper and CB Marcus Peters had a great one-on-one matchup for a large chunk of the contest. It was an even battle until the fourth quarter when Cooper left Peters running the wrong direction in the end zone for an easy Cooper touchdown. It was his fourth of 2020. While Cooper lost his path to WR1 production the second Dak Prescott went down with his ankle injury, the No. 1 receiver has been a worthwhile fantasy WR2/3 in Andy Dalton starts. That will be the case again in Week 14 against the Bengals. 

Dec 8, 2020, 11:44 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 2-of-3 targets for 10 yards in the Cowboys' Week 15 win over the 49ers.

Cooper also "added" two carries for -7 yards. The Dallas offense couldn't get much going and Cooper felt the full effects of their slow day. Including the negative yardage from his rush attempts, it was his worst day of the year by total yards. If the Cowboys can get in a rhythm versus the Eagles next week, Cooper should return to WR2 numbers in the final week of the fantasy season.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

Amari Cooper caught 6-of-9 targets for 41 yards in the Cowboys' Week 17 loss to the Giants.

Cooper's 130 targets this season were his most since 2016 in Oakland, and the 92 catches were easily a career high. He turned those into 1,114 yards and five touchdowns, leading Dallas in targets. Cooper was really the only Cowboys skill player to overcome the loss of Dak Prescott (ankle), topping 50 yards and/or a touchdown in 8-of-11 games following Prescott's injury. Cooper has four years left on his five-year deal signed last offseason and will return as a fantasy WR1 with better quarterback play in a healthier offense. Cooper turns 27 in the summer.

- Rotoworld

Amari Cooper (ankle) is not participating in this week's minicamp.

Cooper required a cleanup procedure on the ankle following last season, and it still isn't ready to go. Coach Mike McCarthy is "hopeful" Cooper is ready for the start of training camp. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cooper needs at least another 2-3 weeks of recovery. It sounds a little more severe than a mere ankle scope, but in the grand scheme of things, Cooper shouldn't have any setbacks for the games that matter.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jun 10, 2021, 12:12 AM ET

Sports Illustrated's Mike Fisher reports Amari Cooper will be "cutting it close" to start training camp as he recovers from ankle surgery. 

Cooper, who didn't participate in the team's offseason practices after undergoing foot/ankle surgery in January, isn't behind schedule, but could conceivably miss the first days of Cowboys training camp, which starts July 22. Dallas head coach Mike McCarthy said in early June that Cooper is "still working through" his recovery process. His status will be worth monitoring in the final weeks of July and into the preseason. Cooper led the Cowboys last year with 92 receptions for 1,114 yards and five touchdowns, dominating targets in Dak Prescott's four full games. His average draft position -- nearly identical to teammate CeeDee Lamb's -- could dip if he's limited or held out of training camp. Lamb's ADP would probably rise considerably. 

SOURCE: SI.com 

Jul 7, 2021, 11:54 AM ET

Cowboys placed WR Amari Cooper (ankle) on the PUP list.

This was expected as coach Mike McCarthy said in early June that Cooper is "still working through" his recovery process following a cleanup procedure on his ankle, which forced him to miss all of minicamp and OTAs. Though the 27-year-old's exact timeline is unclear, Cooper was reportedly "2-3 weeks" away from returning to the field in mid-June. His ADP (32.7) as the WR14, while costly, should only be viewed as egregious if he's still sidelined mid-August.

RELATED: 

CeeDee Lamb

, Michael Gallup

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he expects Amari Cooper (ankle) to begin practicing after the team's August 13 preseason game. 

Cooper's practice timeline could shift in the coming days and weeks, but it appears the Cowboys will be cautious in bringing back their stud receiver as he recovers from an ankle cleanup procedure he had in June. ESPN's Todd Archer said Jones expects Cooper to get "at least a little game action" before Dallas kicks off the NFL season against Tampa. Cooper's role as the team's unquestioned WR1 -- he dominated targets during Dak Prescott's four 2020 starts -- is in serious question with the development of CeeDee Lamb and the ankle issue that will wipe out his training camp. Cooper's ADP is going to fall in the coming month while Lamb's ADP is likely to climb. We could see Lamb drafted as a top-12 wideout in 12-team leagues due largely to Cooper's summertime absence. 

RELATED: 

CeeDee Lamb

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter 

Jul 26, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Amari Cooper (PUP) "looks great" after undergoing offseason ankle surgery. 

McCarthy added that everything from the strength staff has been "extremely positive." Cowboys owner Jerry Jones previously said that Cooper is expected to return to practice after the team's August 13th preseason game. It sounds like Cooper should have no complications or setbacks after undergoing ankle surgery just after the 2020 season ended. Cooper will return to a Dallas offense that projects to be among the highest-scoring in the league as long as Dak Prescott is healthy. He'll be competing with CeeDee Lamb to lead the team in targets but both players should have no problem posting impressive numbers through a mix of volume and efficiency. Barring any changes in Cooper's health, he projects as a high-end WR2 for fantasy purposes. 

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Aug 1, 2021, 1:28 PM ET

Michael Gehlken @GehlkenNFL

Cowboys WR Amari Cooper passed his physical and has been removed from PUP list, team announced. Move doesn’t mean Cooper will practice right away, although he could join team in its “mock games” (walkthroughs). Next one today at 11 a.m. PT.
https://twitter.com/gehlkennfl/status/1425133356266655744?s=21

Michael Gehlken @GehlkenNFL

Amari Cooper had Jan. arthroscopic ankle surgery. Hasn’t practiced since. Dealing with bone inflammation while “very Vitamin D deficient,” he said. Hence the rest and Vitamin D pills he’s been prescribed. Ankle not at 100%, but a lighter Cooper considered to be in great shape.
https://twitter.com/gehlkennfl/status/1425134971455295490?s=21

I'm not convinced he's the best receiver on his own team. 
Amari Cooper is pretty damn good.  CeeDee Lamb is a stud, but I think Amari is still the best receiver on that team.  Of course, we haven't started the season yet and Lamb could have an incredible year.  With that being said, Dak loves him and his route running is one of the best in the league. 

Amari Cooper is pretty damn good.  CeeDee Lamb is a stud, but I think Amari is still the best receiver on that team.  Of course, we haven't started the season yet and Lamb could have an incredible year.  With that being said, Dak loves him and his route running is one of the best in the league. 
I can't argue with that. But the fact that we could even have the discussion shows how silly the "best in the league" comment was. He's "arguably" the best on his own team. 

Not that I blame him for saying it. He knows Lamb is getting more pub and he has a chip on his shoulder. Now he wants to go out there and show what he can do with a full season (hopefully) with his QB. Good for him. 

Well, I'm targeting CeeDee everywhere as I think he has top 5 potential, but I would have no problem taking Cooper a round or two later.

Well, I'm targeting CeeDee everywhere as I think he has top 5 potential, but I would have no problem taking Cooper a round or two later.

I am a big fan of CeeDee.  Would take him over Amari because of health issues.  I think both can be WR1 on a team and since CD was taken in round 3 before me I got Amari and Woods in the turn rounds 3-4 on a 12 team league. 

I do think until/unless something goes wrong Cooper is still #1 in DAL because of connection between he and Dak.  But the gap is so small as to not matter and as the season progresses CD might take over as top dog.  He is a beast.

I got CD last year in round 9 or 10.  This year he was taken 3:6 in a 12 team redraft.

Hard for a team to produce two WR1's and a top 5 RB no? 

I don't think Cooper, Dak or McCarthy are ready to pass the torch just yet. Give me Cooper.

Users who are viewing this thread