What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

I'm very nervous for this year. I just went and hit balls. I know it's on a simulator but I've been having back and hip issues for a couple years now.

I've been stretching and working out but I am severely stiff with lack of range . It was brutal
I've had the same issues and was one of the reasons I stopped playing for a number of years. I started riding my bike to work about 3 years ago and it did wonders for my core, legs and golf game.

I went my doctor and got an adjustment. 100 times better. It was frustrating because I was doing yoga and workouts but nothing was working

:thumbup:

I'll post the PM here. THAT WAS A BRAND NEW GRIP :P

I haven't found a Scotty grip I like. I had a lamkin grip that was about the size of my thumb which I really liked. I can't do the super stroke grips.

I haven't had the heart to not put a scotty grip on a scotty putter yet :lol:
:lmao: Oh well...another $25 and I feel better...something about the shape was off (thin but deep?)...and I've been wanting to try a semi-fat.

We'll see though...thanks again.

So...what's new about this?

PGA Tour Superstore To Open First Experiential Store in Alabama
SportsOneSource Media Posted: 3/25/2015PGA Tour Superstore announced that it will be opening its first interactive Birmingham retail store. As the anchor tenant, PGA Tour Superstore will locate its new store at 165-A Inverness Plaza Shopping Center in Birmingham.

The PGA Tour Superstore in Birmingham is expected to open this summer and will employ more than 30 associates. The location will be staffed with PGA teaching professionals and have multiple state-of-the-art swing simulators, practice hitting bays, and a large putting green along with an in-house club making and repair facility to provide a unique, interactive experience to golf enthusiasts of all levels.

“Birmingham represents a premier market for our expansion and is an ideal place to introduce our brand,” said PGA Tour Superstore President and CEO **** Sullivan. “Our new Birmingham store will be the largest and most interactive experiential golf store in the state of Alabama, and will also have the widest selection of brand names in equipment and apparel.”

PGA Tour Superstore is owned and operated by Golf & Tennis Pro Shop, Inc., whose controlling owner and chairman is Arthur M. Blank, retired co-founder of The Home Depot and owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

Yeah we don't have pga superstores around here but everyone I have been too sounds like that one

still using and liking 962s, but this is the year. hit ap2s yesterday and going to try out a couple of the bridgestones at a demo day in a few weeks. new vokeys and a G30 driver. only thing i'm keeping is the gun metal newport 2 i've had since college that's pretty much gameday for life.

going to try to get out some this year. kept blowing it off last year to ride my bike so going to try to find a balance this year. i turn down too many opportunities to play nice tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm in the market for a new driver for the first time in about 20 years. I'm kind of a penny pincher when it comes to buying new golf equipment. But I decided this year I'd give myself a budget of $300 for a new (or used) driver. After looking at some online, I realized it's been so long, I have no clue what I'm even looking for anymore. I plan to go hit some at ****'s, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm an average golfer that would love some forgiveness off the tee. I usually shoot around 90 and driving the ball off the tee is one of my strong points. Not incredibly long, but fairly accurate. And by accurate, I mean I hit the fairway. I'm not picking my spot on the fairway.

Any suggestions on what to try out would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

TIS

I have the regular x2 hot (stiff) 9deg turned down to 8.5

I played taylor made for years but love the x2. Reason I bought the driver was how much I liked my 3 wood. Even bought a hybrid

TheIronSheik said:
So I'm in the market for a new driver for the first time in about 20 years. I'm kind of a penny pincher when it comes to buying new golf equipment. But I decided this year I'd give myself a budget of $300 for a new (or used) driver. After looking at some online, I realized it's been so long, I have no clue what I'm even looking for anymore. I plan to go hit some at ****'s, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm an average golfer that would love some forgiveness off the tee. I usually shoot around 90 and driving the ball off the tee is one of my strong points. Not incredibly long, but fairly accurate. And by accurate, I mean I hit the fairway. I'm not picking my spot on the fairway.

TIA

TIS
R11

TheIronSheik said:

TIA

TIS
R11
Can you be a little bit more specific, GB? Again, it's been 20 years since I looked at new drivers.

Taylor made r11s. I didn't like mine but that's me. R9 was probably one of the best drivers of its time

TheIronSheik said:

TIA

TIS
R11
Can you be a little bit more specific, GB? Again, it's been 20 years since I looked at new drivers.
Taylor Made R11 (the non-pro one).

I've hit it a couple of times. Ridiculously forgiving. To quote a club pro I overheard, "It's like cheating".

I play a cobra AMP and would switch over to Taylor Made if it became economically feasible to do so. Just can't justify dropping another several hundred on a driver since mine is only a year old.

Always used a Cobra.

Switched to the new Cobra BioCell last year.

Love that thing - I started hitting it longer immediately when I upgraded from my 5 year old driver.

Anyone ever hit one of those Nike Vapor drivers?
Yeah they're nice too.

To be honest, Driver technology is nearly maxed out (which is why you're seeing so many drivers with the new loft adjustments and other gadgets - so the club makers can justify some change). There probably isn't a huge difference amongst the R11s, Vapors, Amps, SLDRs, X2 Hots, etc.

Yeah they're nice too.

To be honest, Driver technology is nearly maxed out (which is why you're seeing so many drivers with the new loft adjustments and other gadgets - so the club makers can justify some change). There probably isn't a huge difference amongst the R11s, Vapors, Amps, SLDRs, X2 Hots, etc.
I always tried to steer clear of the loft adjustment equipment. I figured my game isn't nearly good enough for me to be deciding what loft I should be hitting - just give me the 10.5 and let me go to work at getting better before I start tinkering with things and hitting a 7 loft like Bubba or something

Yeah they're nice too.

I always tried to steer clear of the loft adjustment equipment. I figured my game isn't nearly good enough for me to be deciding what loft I should be hitting - just give me the 10.5 and let me go to work at getting better before I start tinkering with things and hitting a 7 loft like Bubba or something
This has been my thought, as well, but it looks like it's the norm for drivers now. Of course I say that only having looked at clubs online. Maybe it's not the norm.

It's been talked about before, but what iron sets are the ones that everyone talks about for novices? I think they were Nike and Titliest sets. Can't remember the names, though. They were quite expensive.

Yeah they're nice too.

Right.

I guess my point is that technology has maxed out. So it isn't like there is some new super-driver out there that's all better than others. All club makers can really do now is make tweaks like the loft and face adjustment stuff.

Yeah they're nice too.

This has been my thought, as well, but it looks like it's the norm for drivers now. Of course I say that only having looked at clubs online. Maybe it's not the norm.

It's been talked about before, but what iron sets are the ones that everyone talks about for novices? I think they were Nike and Titliest sets. Can't remember the names, though. They were quite expensive.
I have a set of Taylor Made Draw Irons (R7s). Very nice set.

50 bucks and they are yours. However - I would warn - they are 7 years old and meant to adjust for a slice. Once you don't have a slice anymore they become less desirable. You have to adjust every shot for hitting a draw instead of just aiming straight at your target.

(oh and the 4 iron is gripped because I smashed it against a tree after trying to throw it at a guy - don't worry, I've fixed the anger part of my game)

More simulator golf for us Northern peeps, 1:30 tee time. Almost as excited as the real thing.

Have to drive about 4+ hours south to find a course open. I don't even know if that is enough with this last batch of snow.

Better than last year when our home course didn't open until May 19th

Yeah they're nice too.

Titleist AP1s would be good.

If you're looking for a something with a huge cavity back to the extent that it is almost a hybrid, my mom's husband plays these nike clubs. I almost laughed when I saw them, but I played a round with them (I was out visiting and needed to borrow clubs) and holy crap were they ridiculously easy to hit and I was actually getting great ball flight and spin out of them. Felt like a vacation from my forged irons. Right now I'd put up a better score with them versus my clubs.

I just did a quick google search and couldn't find them. If you're interested I can ask him directly.

Yeah they're nice too.

50 bucks and they are yours. However - I would warn - they are 7 years old and meant to adjust for a slice. Once you don't have a slice anymore they become less desirable. You have to adjust every shot for hitting a draw instead of just aiming straight at your target.

(oh and the 4 iron is gripped because I smashed it against a tree after trying to throw it at a guy - don't worry, I've fixed the anger part of my game)
:lmao: what?? :lmao:

Yeah they're nice too.

:lmao: what?? :lmao:
Before I moved away used to play with 7 other guys pretty much 2 or 3 times a week (childhood friends).

One day we decided we wanted to be healthier so we decided to walk it...it was 98 degrees that day and very humid.

We split up into 2 groups. It was scramble Group 1 vs Group 2. Group 1 was ahead of us...drinking.

I am fat and was miserable all day in the heat. Really angry. After group 1 would finish a hole they'd stand around the green and heckle us while we finished the hole. Loudly - to the point where it was really bugging my entire group. My buddy JR started laughing after my tee shot on a Par 3. It was a bad tee shot...I start running at him full speed and launched the 4 iron at him...wound up broadsiding a tree and snapping it half.

lulz

I tend to hook the ball more than slice. I like the clubs I have now, but again, they're about 20 years old. I think next year I may look to replace them.

Taylor made r11s. I didn't like mine but that's me. R9 was probably one of the best drivers of its time
I've been hitting the white R11 from 2012 the last few years. I really like it, but I think I'm trying something else this year.

I haven't found a Scotty grip I like. I had a lamkin grip that was about the size of my thumb which I really liked. I can't do the super stroke grips.

:lmao: Oh well...another $25 and I feel better...something about the shape was off (thin but deep?)...and I've been wanting to try a semi-fat.We'll see though...thanks again.
Made 3 between 12-20 feet in a scramble today...good true Bermuda greens, including a 20 footer on 18 to tie for the lead...and lipped out a 50 footer. Hope it's not the New Putter Syndrome...but the feel is really good.

I bought used ap2 set last year. Love them. Replaced my 16 year old DCI 919s.

I have an orange AMP driver. Went and hit a bunch of new model drivers and my launch and spin rates were nearly identical with all of them but the G30 had a little lower backspin. Not enough for $300 though.

:lmao: Oh well...another $25 and I feel better...something about the shape was off (thin but deep?)...and I've been wanting to try a semi-fat.We'll see though...thanks again.
Made 3 between 12-20 feet in a scramble today...good true Bermuda greens, including a 20 footer on 18 to tie for the lead...and lipped out a 50 footer. Hope it's not the New Putter Syndrome...but the feel is really good.
:thumbup: I really liked the putter minus the offset. It messed up my eye from like 6 ft in. I never shook it

I really liked the putter minus the offset. It messed up my eye from like 6 ft in. I never shook it
I grew up on an Anser, so the eye is ideal.

On that note, what really has Scotty perfected that Ping can't?

My son just turned 7 and has expressed an interest in trying golf. I will probably pick up a starter set this week.

Big question - he is left handed. Do I buy left handed clubs or force him to go righty? We did T-ball and he batted left handed better. He will be out on any hand-me-down clubs later, but I want to give him the best opportunity for success.

Users who are viewing this thread