What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (4 Viewers)

You’re in AZ right?  You ever get back up to MSP?  Seriously let me know if/when you are in town. 
Yep I do. But with kids it’s not as often. Will definitely let you know though. If it’s summer I always bring my clubs. 

Do you remember that comment from Tiger after a poor round somewhere?  That he couldn't get his "glutes activated."  To me that's always been a reference to getting his hips involved in the back and down swing so you can square the face.  I have always struggled with hooking the ball.  Bringing the club too far inside too quickly and then using my arms to square it.  Kind of sounds like what you're struggling with.  Once I realized how to consistently open up (rotate) my back hip to get that extra little pull straight back instead of to the inside I got significantly more consistently straight, longer shots.

I realized that at address I had my weight on the balls of my feet. Always had an issue with early extension (firing my hips forward toward the ball/losing my posture). 

Went to the range and worked on keeping my weight more directly over my ankle joint. Was hitting everything pure. 

As long as I don't slide on my takeaway I'm usually fine.  I have a tendency to slide the right hip instead of turn

Shot an 85 tonight with 4 freaking lipouts inside 10 feet and a HORRENDOUS bounce on a tee shot that put me OB (although it was definitely a bad shot that deserved to be punished)

Pretty sure its gonna put my index under 14 for the first time, as its replacing a 91.

SOOO close to mediocrity.

Sure, part of it was playing an easier course and the new covid hole helps, but I just finished my first under par round in more than a decade. Maybe I should do scrambles only from this day-on.

Chaska town course ⛳
Played there before Ryder Cup. Fun. Then went to some bar and they had pull tabs. We’re from CA. We don’t know what those are. Guy starts flirting with the bartender, buys $20 worth and tells her she’ll get 1/2 of what he wins. She laughs. 1st tab - a grand. She was happy getting 5 crisp C notes. Fun times

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
If I could put it all together I'd be on fire.

Driver was erratic, irons ok. Chipping and putting were fantastic.

Worst driving day all year

This is all of us :lol:
Lol....yes I know that. I just meant in general I feel like I'm so close but every week it's something different, not the same :)

i had 2 birdies and 2 really dumb doubles. And one really stupid bogey.  Overall played great most consistent I've been in a long time

I should have taken a cue from the first 9 of the year and done like Costanza, going out on the high note. Irons and putting were fine, but the driver was wild and short game a total mess. That last part being the biggest issue - @mr roboto's 72 being attributed to it reminded me how much more important it is than everything else. I'm not sure I added much to the scorecard because of the wild driver, but I easily left at least 7-8 strokes out there due to the short game. Still came out with an 85 because I hit the green with enough irons and adjusted to that day's reality on the back nine, but otherwise it was a cavalcade of bogeys that shoulda been pars and doubles that shoulda been bogeys.

I should have taken a cue from the first 9 of the year and done like Costanza, going out on the high note. Irons and putting were fine, but the driver was wild and short game a total mess. That last part being the biggest issue - @mr roboto's 72 being attributed to it reminded me how much more important it is than everything else. I'm not sure I added much to the scorecard because of the wild driver, but I easily left at least 7-8 strokes out there due to the short game. Still came out with an 85 because I hit the green with enough irons and adjusted to that day's reality on the back nine, but otherwise it was a cavalcade of bogeys that shoulda been pars and doubles that shoulda been bogeys.
Honestly my irons were off yesterday but my chipping was immaculate.  Almost all of my 1-putts were chips to 3ft. 

I did have a part where I bladed a chip over the green and then chipped in for par lol

Played a few days ago. First time in over a year. Up at Victory Links in Blaine - had a free round cause of a friend who is a sports news anchor in town. This was probably only the 10th time in the past 3 or 4 years. Also got myself some new clubs (succumbed to the one length marketing so picked up some Cobra F9 one length). Only had 5-SW and Driver and 3W. Others hadn't arrived, so I was missing anything that hit between 170 and 210 or so.

Not strange that I was terrible on the front - 48. I had never hit a one length iron before nor had I hit a ball with any of these clubs until that day on the course. But turned it around on the back for a 41. All in all I will take it, but I can't remember the last time I was 13 over on a 9. Kinda got the itch now though. And the rest of my clubs came the other day so I have less of an excuse.

Must say, I enjoyed hitting that 5 iron that was cut to a 7 iron length. Felt good. The PW and GW and SW felt weird as #### though.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I've played more golf over the past two months than I have in the past three years combined, playing 9 every Monday and Thursday evenings and 18 most weekends. It was mostly horrendous/frustrating as hell golf though, spraying it all over the place, which drove me to take my first lesson since I first picked up a club 25 years ago. Thirty minutes on the range with a guy who knows his #### turned everything around. Two words: knuckles down. Awkward at first but holy crap, changed everything...hitting all my clubs longer and straighter at 50 than I was at 30. I swear I'm a much happier person on and off the golf course as a result - it was eating me up. 

I'm on the waiting list to become a member at a local course. There was a lottery last spring where there were 50 or so folks entered and I drew #42. Typically that translates to a 4 or 5 year wait but in one year I'm already up to 18...I guess Covid ain't all bad. Should be in by summer of 2022. 

I've played more golf over the past two months than I have in the past three years combined, playing 9 every Monday and Thursday evenings and 18 most weekends. It was mostly horrendous/frustrating as hell golf though, spraying it all over the place, which drove me to take my first lesson since I first picked up a club 25 years ago. Thirty minutes on the range with a guy who knows his #### turned everything around. Two words: knuckles down. Awkward at first but holy crap, changed everything...hitting all my clubs longer and straighter at 50 than I was at 30. I swear I'm a much happier person on and off the golf course as a result - it was eating me up. 

I'm on the waiting list to become a member at a local course. There was a lottery last spring where there were 50 or so folks entered and I drew #42. Typically that translates to a 4 or 5 year wait but in one year I'm already up to 18...I guess Covid ain't all bad. Should be in by summer of 2022. 
I think I might do that, I'm having huge mental issues right now with my grip. My irons just don't feel right at address and I find myself closing my face a lot because of it.

I'm still struggling a little bit to put it all together.  I'm grinding my way to good scores (for me, which is mid-high 80's) but I feel like I just haven't had a day where EVERYTHING is working.  On days my lag putting is good, my driver is all over the place. On days I'm hitting great off the tee, I'm pulling short irons.

That being said, my round last night got my 20 round average under 90 for the first time ever (and it should continue to drop, as the next 4 rounds to drop off are my 4 worst) and my index is down to a 13.3 (I was a 21 at the start of last season and a 17.3 a year ago)

At the start of the year, my goals were to get my average under 90, get my handicap under 12.5 and make an eagle.  So I've done 2 of 3 and I think I'll hit the 3rd. My other goal was to play a lot more courses, but COVID put the hurt on that.

Gonna try to take a lesson at some point in the next month. I haven't had one since before I broke 100, so there's got to be some room for improvement there.

Hitting more 3 woods and less drivers has helped me to limit blow up holes, which has certainly helped. But its also leaving me some longer irons on some longer par 4's, which puts a lot of pressure on my short game.

Rule scenario question.  Played with brother and a couple of friends a few weeks ago.  

Friend hits drive OOB.  Cart path rides along fairway houses/back yards.  White stakes mark OB.  Trees line side along cart path.  Tournament play he would have certainly hit a provisional off the tee.  He said he didn't think it was OB so he drove on up to location.

We're all sitting there to see what he's going to do.  The ball is in the back yard but several feet out of bounds.  I'm thinking he's going to bring the ball out and drop it back in play in the line of entry, no closer to the hole.  This is okay to us since he didn't hit a provisional and to save time, etc.  

Instead of bringing the ball out and dropping, thus lying 2 hitting 3... he bangs the ball out of the back yard with his club narrowly missing a tree and ending up well out into the fairway, many yards up closer to the hole.  

He and his playing partner claims he is now lying 2 and will be hitting 3.  This can't be right because it would essentially mean no penalty for hitting it OB.  

I say "If you're going to hit it from out of the back yard, then you are hitting 3 because your tee shot is OOB, so you have to at least drop for your second shot."  His "drop" shot was a 9 iron smacked 30 yards up the fairway.  

What is the call here?  What he did was basically like punching out from behind a tree (that's still in bounds) out into the fairway.  No penalty for hitting OB.

It wasn't really a big deal since no money was on the line and we're all friends and all.  But my own brother argued with me (we rode same cart).  It wasn't mentioned again during or after the round but I was curious what you think.  Thanks.  

Rule scenario question.  Played with brother and a couple of friends a few weeks ago.  

Friend hits drive OOB.  Cart path rides along fairway houses/back yards.  White stakes mark OB.  Trees line side along cart path.  Tournament play he would have certainly hit a provisional off the tee.  He said he didn't think it was OB so he drove on up to location.

We're all sitting there to see what he's going to do.  The ball is in the back yard but several feet out of bounds.  I'm thinking he's going to bring the ball out and drop it back in play in the line of entry, no closer to the hole.  This is okay to us since he didn't hit a provisional and to save time, etc.  

Instead of bringing the ball out and dropping, thus lying 2 hitting 3... he bangs the ball out of the back yard with his club narrowly missing a tree and ending up well out into the fairway, many yards up closer to the hole.  

He and his playing partner claims he is now lying 2 and will be hitting 3.  This can't be right because it would essentially mean no penalty for hitting it OB.  

I say "If you're going to hit it from out of the back yard, then you are hitting 3 because your tee shot is OOB, so you have to at least drop for your second shot."  His "drop" shot was a 9 iron smacked 30 yards up the fairway.  

What is the call here?  What he did was basically like punching out from behind a tree (that's still in bounds) out into the fairway.  No penalty for hitting OB.

It wasn't really a big deal since no money was on the line and we're all friends and all.  But my own brother argued with me (we rode same cart).  It wasn't mentioned again during or after the round but I was curious what you think.  Thanks.  
You already know the rule.  This is more of a dbag scenario.  Rule-wise he should've gone back and hit from the tee.  If you're gonna allow him to hit the ball in order to speed up play he at the very least has to take a penalty stroke.

I honestly probably wouldn't play with these guys again.  I know you said they're friends, but I can't stand cheating at golf, even if it's only a "little" cheating.  Tells me exactly what kind of person that is.

You already know the rule.  This is more of a dbag scenario.  Rule-wise he should've gone back and hit from the tee.  If you're gonna allow him to hit the ball in order to speed up play he at the very least has to take a penalty stroke.

I honestly probably wouldn't play with these guys again.  I know you said they're friends, but I can't stand cheating at golf, even if it's only a "little" cheating.  Tells me exactly what kind of person that is.
My brother is the one that psst me off.  He was adamant that what the guy did was correct.  The other guy is often a dbag.  Full disclosure, he is my brother's son in law.  I was playing with my son in law.  

OB is OB 

It's a penalty.

Now with local rules instead of retee he can do this and be hitting 4

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/new-stroke-distance-local-rule-save-strokes/
Thanks.

New rule: A new local rule was introduced with the newest edition of the Rules of Golf when they were released in 2019. The new stroke-and-distance local rule allows players the option of dropping in the fairway if they so choose. Players must find where their ball went out of bounds and create an imaginary perpendicular to the fairway, no closer to the hole. From there, you can now drop anywhere within two club-lengths behind the line. The next shot will be your fourth. This rule keeps groups moving and speeds up play.
He sort of did this (except for the bolded) in my brother's mind.  He took it out into the fairway and dropped... only with his club, not his hands... and it was up fairway a good way!  But the bolded was not talked about.  They claimed he was hitting his third. 

They are claiming that he basically played his second shot from OB which you can't do 

A hazard you can not OB

Starting over. Banning myself from looking at YouTube videos. Going to a golf specific physical therapist/trainer and lessons from a pro who had me hitting it good for years. Hopefully I can get back to trusting something. I don’t know where my club face is. Over rotate with lower body I go left. Not enough and it goes right. Inconsistent backswing/turn. Just a ball struggling mess. Still can shoot even low 80’s with terrible GIR just with short game but I hate playing that way. 

Was playing my best ever. Was confident driving. Swinging easy, only thinking about a thing or two to get myself on track. If I could putt at all could have shaved 3-4 strokes easily.

Heading into summer and was going to get to play a ton.

At the range and my lower back blows up. 

Have “thrown it out” about 4 times over the last 7 years or so but never during a swing. This is going to suck. I know the drill to get better, have a great PT, and improving quickly but gonna be out at least a couple weeks. 

The last thing I need is to be thinking about my back on a swing.

I hope it rains every day until I get back :lol:

Due to COVID, I haven't been driving to work (no gas) or going out to eat for lunch every day, as well as a multitude of other stuff I'm not doing regularly.  That lead to a build of up discretionary funds.  So, I broke down, got my wife and two boys (16 and 18) clubs, and we've been going out for the last few weeks once a week.  I haven't played in years, but it is a fun outing with the family with limited options of fun things to do.  Total hack, and just played a short 9 most of the time.

My wife is looking at lessons.  I should probably do that, but not until I'm not treating for the whole family.  I remember why I never got into it in my younger days.  It sure is an expensive hobby.

https://vetsmobiledentalunit.org/social-distance-shotgun-golf-tournament/

my buddy has put together a golf tourney to support military veterans that can be played from anywhere, the donation fee puts you in the drawings to win the prizes, the leader board is for bragging rights since it would be impossible to catch cheaters. I take credit for the idea but mine was much simpler. Thank you for reading.
Still time to partake in this, there is a live leaderboard on the GolfStatus app. @MrPack on there now playing live, I’ll be on there tomorrow. Benefits an important cause and prizes are based on entry, not score.

So isn't really golf related, but its happening at my golf course, so I was hoping to get some opinions.

I've been a member at my club for 3 years now. Our club has a restaurant that is open to the public, so there's no restaurant mins for the members. (part of the appeal to me, as I just want to pay for golf).  There's also a really nice outdoor tent/bar area where all the members congregate after their rounds, hang and have a drink, etc.  But I generally play in the evening, so by the time I'm done, everyone is gone. So me racking up any sort of bar bill is very rare.  Occasionally I'll grab a drink or snack at the turn, but not that often.

At least 5 or 6 times now, I've checked my monthly statement to find a fairly sizable bar bill that is not mine.   A few of them have been $150+.  I've never gotten any push back when I've called/emailed to dispute, but its starting to become a PITA.  No other members know my member # and I'm not even sure that many even know my last name.  So the odds that another member is charging to my tab seems very minimal. 

So the only other possible solution is that the club is just randomly dropping bar tabs onto my account to boost profits. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just find it hard to believe that someone is just making a mistake over and over and over again. At what point do you say something beyond just calling and correcting them?

So isn't really golf related, but its happening at my golf course, so I was hoping to get some opinions.

I've been a member at my club for 3 years now. Our club has a restaurant that is open to the public, so there's no restaurant mins for the members. (part of the appeal to me, as I just want to pay for golf).  There's also a really nice outdoor tent/bar area where all the members congregate after their rounds, hang and have a drink, etc.  But I generally play in the evening, so by the time I'm done, everyone is gone. So me racking up any sort of bar bill is very rare.  Occasionally I'll grab a drink or snack at the turn, but not that often.

At least 5 or 6 times now, I've checked my monthly statement to find a fairly sizable bar bill that is not mine.   A few of them have been $150+.  I've never gotten any push back when I've called/emailed to dispute, but its starting to become a PITA.  No other members know my member # and I'm not even sure that many even know my last name.  So the odds that another member is charging to my tab seems very minimal. 

So the only other possible solution is that the club is just randomly dropping bar tabs onto my account to boost profits. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just find it hard to believe that someone is just making a mistake over and over and over again. At what point do you say something beyond just calling and correcting them?
Personally after the second time it happened I would have requested a new member number :shrug:  I wouldn’t want to pay to be a member and have headaches like this.

Did somebody happen to catch your member number in any way? That's the only thing I can think of other than the even uglier alternative that the course is tryng to pad a bill. 

Did somebody happen to catch your member number in any way? That's the only thing I can think of other than the even uglier alternative that the course is tryng to pad a bill. 

I guess its possible, but it just seems very unlikely. I very rarely stop at the bar and when I do, they dont always ask for my number (since some of them know me)  I've MAYBE stopped at the turn 5 times all year.

Its more likely than the club trying to pull a fast one, but why would someone who can afford to belong there risk getting booted just to get 9 free Stella Artois on a Friday afternoon?

The whole thing is just so odd. One time? Sure. 2 or 3 MAYBE. But this is probably the 6th time this has happened.   My brother belongs as well and his number is one off from mine, but these aren't his bills either.  We're not above messing with each other, but he'd tell me if this was a gag at this point. And he didn't play on the day in question (let alone drink NINE beers at noon)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread