What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (6 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
Assuming at least the first year of the extension was guaranteed that is what he’d have now $5.6MM + $10MM.
But he'd have to risk heavy usage for a year to get it right?

I'm not as fluent on Gordon's situation.. it seems they didn't really want him long term.

But he'd have to risk heavy usage for a year to get it right?

I'm not as fluent on Gordon's situation.. it seems they didn't really want him long term.
They supposedly offered him an extension at $10MM a year for multiple years. So assuming at least that first year would be guaranteed then no.

Penguin said:
David Dodds @fbg_dodds

I am expecting Melvin Gordon to show up in week 10 to accrue his fifth-year season only.
Week 10 is a new one. It has been posted in this thread that he might need to report before week 9 and that he might need to report before week 13. Is there some basis for reporting "in week 10" which I assume means between weeks 9 and 10?

Penguin said:
I put this holdout 90+% on the team as it could have been mitigated with a simple sitdown that would have led to a trade of Gordon.
Whenever the idea of a trade gets floated, I have to ask, what teams would have been willing to (a) pay Gordon the contract he wants and (b) give sufficient compensation to the Chargers for them to trade him? The compensation to the Chargers would have to be non-trivial, since they stand to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him next year and maintain the possibility of having him to contribute to a possible Super Bowl run. I just don't see any team working out such a trade, whether before the draft or otherwise, especially considering his injury history.

Penguin said:
there was no way they were going to ever offer more than 2 years, $20M
Has it been reported that they offered him just $20M or less guaranteed over the first 2 years of their contract offer? I haven't seen that reported.

Just drafted him in a keeper league, 3.08. Roughly 40th player when you factor in keepers. So what do I have to do to get him to sign tomorrow?

i think i'm staying away from Gordon, maybe take a flier in dynasty if can get for cheap but chances are his value will drop from being on SD.

A lot of drafts this weekend, at what round do you feel the value offsets the risk and makes him draftable? His current ADP has him in the mid to late 3rd and has dropped 2 rounds in the last month. I would not draft him in the 3rd but would start looking at him at the 5/6 turn. I think it is unlikely he lasts that long so I probably will not have him on any of my teams.

The Gordon situation just has a feel to it that Melvin thinks that half a year off is not so bad and may be beneficial in the long run (pun). He saw a team pony up $$$ for Bell so why not him? He may not be Bell to us, but maybe he is to himself? Word around these parts is it will be a while before we see Gordon. LA will miss him before he misses them. The pressure of a Rivers win now situation also hurts LA and he knows it. I guess we will soon know.  

The Gordon situation just has a feel to it that Melvin thinks that half a year off is not so bad and may be beneficial in the long run (pun). He saw a team pony up $$$ for Bell so why not him? He may not be Bell to us, but maybe he is to himself? Word around these parts is it will be a while before we see Gordon. LA will miss him before he misses them. The pressure of a Rivers win now situation also hurts LA and he knows it. I guess we will soon know.  
every time I see your avatar I think of that wheel thing in Wall-E that pilots the big ship

every time I see your avatar I think of that wheel thing in Wall-E that pilots the big ship
HAL 9000: 

Dan Bowman : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL : Affirmative, Dan. I read you.

Dan Bowman : Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL : I'm sorry, Dan. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dan Bowman : What's the problem?

HAL : I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dan Bowman : What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL : This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dan Bowman : I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL : I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dan Bowman : [feigning ignorance]  Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL : Dan, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dan Bowman : Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

HAL : Without your space helmet, Dan? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dan Bowman : HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL : Dan, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Had a 10-man 0.5 ppr Snake draft last night, and he was still there for me at the beginning of the 7th. I felt like I had to take him there. I was praying Ekeler made it back to me in the 8th, and he did. I was actually surprised he dropped quite that far to be honest. 

The pressure of a Rivers win now situation also hurts LA and he knows it. 
I dunno, they could have Barry Sanders in his prime but I've never seen a team with an OL as bad as the chargers(before any injuries even hit) get very far in the playoffs against quality teams every week. It seems to me people thinking that the chargers are just Gordon away from a SB run really need to go back and watch that NE game in the playoffs. 

This holdout has no suspense. The chargers aren't a legit SB contender even with Gordon, and Gordon isn't going to get the contract he thinks he deserves whether it's from la or anyone else. <yawn>

Putting this season aside for argument's sake how do people value him next season and beyond for keeper league purposes.  Seems like he's worth drafting, depending on roster sizes, and stashing for next season (and maybe get some benefit this year but who knows how that will play out). Of course lots of uncertainty on what team and situation he ends up in but could be a smart play.

In a 12 team PPR draft last night, I drafted Ekeler at 6.3 with Gordon on the board, and Gordon was drafted at 6.5.

Just Win Baby said:
In a 12 team PPR draft last night, I drafted Ekeler at 6.3 with Gordon on the board, and Gordon was drafted at 6.5.
If you are trying to win your league; I can't fathom how you see Ekeler getting that done in comparison to Gordon's current prospects.

If you are trying to win your league; I can't fathom how you see Ekeler getting that done in comparison to Gordon's current prospects.
  1. I think Gordon will hold out and miss games.
  2. I think Ekeler is very talented and is capable of being a low end RB1 in Gordon's absence.
  3. Gordon tends to get injured even when he doesn't miss camp and preseason. I think there is a good chance he will miss time due to injury after he returns.

Ekeler could be a 6th round pick even if Gordon was already in camp and ready to go.  He was an excellent 3rd down passing catching back for the Chargers last year.  Increased touches without Gordon will only help his production (maybe 1-2 catches per game more, and 4-5 more carriers per game). 

1. I think Gordon will hold out and miss games.
  2. I think Ekeler is very talented and is capable of being a low end RB1 in Gordon's absence.
  3. Gordon tends to get injured even when he doesn't miss camp and preseason. I think there is a good chance he will miss time due to injury after he returns.
Assuming Gordon holds out half the year, what are you anticipating the split to be with Ekeler and Jackson?

hes gotta show up at some point to make it to FA. 

6 games is considered a full season, so he could be out till Week 10 or 11.  

If they don't get a deal done by start of the season then this is whats going to happen. 

Assuming Gordon holds out half the year, what are you anticipating the split to be with Ekeler and Jackson?
With Gordon out and the other RBs healthy, to start out:

• 60-65% Ekeler
  • 30-35% Jackson
  • 0-5% Other (Newsome or possibly Pope)
That could evolve based on performance. For example, if Ekeler or Jackson is dominant, the share could skew to that guy over time.

What am I missing here about Ekeler? In PPR I guess he’s suitable but he’s no Darren Sproles in his heyday. Maybe I’m mis-remembering but once Jackson got in there, wasn’t he the better back? I seem to recall Ekeler being fine on swing passes but getting absolutely stuffed when used traditionally.

hes gotta show up at some point to make it to FA. 

6 games is considered a full season, so he could be out till Week 10 or 11.  

If they don't get a deal done by start of the season then this is whats going to happen. 
so bell had a loophole because he was francished right? gordon wasnt franchised. hadnt considered this until now

Is there a realistic scenario where Gordon "reports" sometime before Week 10...but the Chargers (primarily for financial reasons) don't put him on the 53-man roster or he otherwise doesn't play in games?

With the Zeke holdout it's pretty clear once he comes back he's a plug and play RB1 from there...not so sure with Gordon.

What am I missing here about Ekeler? In PPR I guess he’s suitable but he’s no Darren Sproles in his heyday. Maybe I’m mis-remembering but once Jackson got in there, wasn’t he the better back? I seem to recall Ekeler being fine on swing passes but getting absolutely stuffed when used traditionally.
Ekeler had better ypc (5.1 to 4.1) and ypr (10.4 to 9.0). Ekeler was #1 in the NFL in breakaway run rate -- 9.4% of his carries were 15+ yards.

Jackson is good, but Ekeler is better in every facet of the game. PFF graded Ekeler higher in every category they grade for RBs: running, receiving, run blocking, and pass blocking. Jackson's pass blocking was awful - he allowed 3 pressures, including 1 sack, and got called for a tripping penalty in 18 pass blocking snaps.

so bell had a loophole because he was francished right? gordon wasnt franchised. hadnt considered this until now
Gordon has to report at some point. Bell obviously did not. The difference is that Bell was not under contract, but Gordon is.

Is there a realistic scenario where Gordon "reports" sometime before Week 10...but the Chargers (primarily for financial reasons) don't put him on the 53-man roster or he otherwise doesn't play in games?

With the Zeke holdout it's pretty clear once he comes back he's a plug and play RB1 from there...not so sure with Gordon.
If he reports the Chargers either have to put him on the active roster (pay him), or cut him.

Don't disagree with that.
Honestly, as I have him in my dynasty league - I'd be fine with them "running him in the ground" for those last 6 games.  The first of them is week 11 at home vs KC (the 6th worst run defense last year), then bye, @Denver, @JAC, home vs MIN, and finally if I make it to the title game, home vs Oakland (the third worst run defense last year).  None of those are really bad matchups - when looking at last year's defensive stats.

If he holds out for 10 weeks, IMO there is no guarantee he regains his previous role. It depends on how the other RBs play in his absence. If they are playing well, I don't think he steps in for 20 touches/game.

He also won't be in football shape, no matter how hard he works out, and his timing with the QB and OL will be rusty. If he reports for week 10, he might not play until week 11 or 12, and he might be ramped up slowly in terms of workload. He also might get hurt. He hasn't exactly been an iron man in the past.

If he holds out for 10 weeks, IMO there is no guarantee he regains his previous role. It depends on how the other RBs play in his absence. If they are playing well, I don't think he steps in for 20 touches/game.

He also won't be in football shape, no matter how hard he works out, and his timing with the QB and OL will be rusty. If he reports for week 10, he might not play until week 11 or 12, and he might be ramped up slowly in terms of workload. He also might get hurt. He hasn't exactly been an iron man in the past.
You guys have a late bye as well (week 12), so there's that.  If he only has to report for the last 6 regular season games, he comes back for week 11, then no game week 12, then back at it week 13.

How confident are we on the week 10/11 thing, rather than half the season?

Starting to look like I was wrong on this one.  I just cannot believe this dude is going waste all of that money, a year of his career and be subject to massive fines.

I doubt it...I would suspect that by then, the Chargers will have forged a team identity without Gordon.  The need/desire to upend that will not be strong.
I agree. Consider that last season when 2017 2nd round pick Lamp got healthy enough to play, HC Lynn barely played him, despite the fact that the Chargers were starting 2 of the worst guards in the NFL (Feeney and Schofield).

Users who are viewing this thread