What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (2 Viewers)

Ravens signed RB Melvin Gordon, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year contract.

The last time we wrote about Gordon, he was being signed to the Chiefs practice squad. Gordon didn’t play a snap for the Chiefs in the regular season or postseason, but now has a chance to suit up for the Ravens if he makes the 53-man roster. Gordon appeared in 10 games for the Broncos last season, rushing 90 times for 318 yards and two scores while averaging a dismal 3.5 yards per carry. Assuming he makes the roster, Gordon would likely slot in as the third running back on Baltimore’s depth chart behind J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards. Undrafted rookie free agent Keaton Mitchell now has a slightly more difficult path to making the 53-man roster with the signing of Gordon. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Gordon can earn up to $3.1 million on his deal with the Ravens.

Considering the depressed RB market we've been discussing, that's a pretty good chunk of change for Gordon. I would have thought he'd be signed for the vet minimum (around $1.2 million IIRC).

Oh boy - he’s likely done but that backfield is pretty crowded and that’s not even counting Jackson running.
Gordon is weird, because he looked horrible last year, but was good in both 2020 and 2021. The fumbling problem was huge, but its not like he's been that guy for years, it was pretty isolated to 2022, and he's still a decent pass catcher.

I think he's still an ok backup if he can get his confidence back. I'd rather have him than Kenyan Drake or Justice Hill who combined for over 150 carries last season. That said, I think he's the clear-cut #3 behind Dobbins and Gus.

I'm starting to wonder what Kareem Hunt is asking for, if he's not even getting rumored places, I mean even Darrell Henderson is getting rumors.

Genius HC Hackett brilliantly held Gordon out of last season's game at LAC. He probably would have padded out some stats against that run defense but Hackett wanted no part in it. I remember because it's the only time I've ever been goose egged by a RB in FF. But I'm not bitter or anything...

Dobbins to start on PUP.

Need to see details of this Gordon contract, like is any guaranteed? This feels like a camp body/tryout to me more and that’s usually little to no guarantees

he's the clear-cut #3 behind Dobbins and Gus.
I would think they’d cut him before him being the 3 - but I guess maybe he could be inactive on game days. The third RB on game day usually has to play special teams, I think. Not sure Gordon does that. Maybe he’s third string in case Gus or Dobbins go down again.

Oh boy - he’s likely done but that backfield is pretty crowded and that’s not even counting Jackson running.
The fumbling problem was huge, but its not like he's been that guy for years, it was pretty isolated to 2022, and he's still a decent pass catcher.
Not to nitpick, but Gordon's fumbling problems really began in the back half of 2021

Gordon had three fumbles (all lost) in the last nine games of '21, including a notoriously boneheaded screw up inside the Chiefs' 10-yd line in the 4th qtr that was returned 91-yards for a GW TD in the last game of the season.

So that would be seven (five lost) in a 13-game span over 2021/22. Followed by still one more later in '22 that finally got him kicked to the curb.

Broncos haven't beaten the Chiefs in 15 games, so we remember these things.

Did some digging just out of curiosity.

Melvin Gordon has the 2nd most RB fumbles (17) in the NFL since 2018 (D. Cook leads with 18 but with 4 fewer games and almost 400 more carries). And by far the most since he came into the league in 2015 (26).

So Gordon's really good at fumbling and has been his entire career.

Most RB fumbles since 2018

Last edited:
This feels like a camp body/tryout to me more and that’s usually little to no guarantees
That's what I've seen speculated by the Ravens beat writer at The Athletic - almost all of the contract is based on incentives. I don't see any way he plays (or even makes the team) unless Dobbins and/or Edwards can't play. He won't play on ST as a 3rd-stringer, as the Ravens require from their backups. Justice Hill does play ST and he's good at it. This is low-cost insurance for Baltimore in case things go sideways with Dobbins and Edwards this summer.

The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec believes Ravens RB Melvin Gordon could be at risk of not making the 53-man roster.

Gordon has a few things working against him when it comes to making the Ravens’ roster. At some point, J.K. Dobbins should return to the team, and rookie Keaton Mitchell has youth, explosiveness, and special teams capabilities — none of which Gordon possesses heading into his age-30 season. Gordon rushed six times for 16 yards in Saturday’s preseason win over the Eagles and also hauled in one catch for nine yards. He’s a good veteran presence as long as Dobbins is away but could become expendable in the coming weeks.

Ravens released Melvin Gordon.
Gordon, 30, looked as un-explosive as ever in three preseason games with Baltimore, running for 59 yards on 17 carries. He had signed a one-year deal with the Ravens in July following a 2022 stint on the Kansas City practice squad. It’s safe to say Gordon is on the fast track to retirement after failing to crack the Ravens’ roster. He could end up on Baltimore’s practice squad.

When asked about the Ravens’ running back situation, HC John Harbaugh said, “Melvin Gordon is here for a reason.”

The Ravens don’t plan on signing a free agent running back at this time. Gordon is expected to be promoted to the 53-man roster before Sunday’s Week 2 matchup against the Bengals, but he’ll likely work behind Gus Edwards and Justice Hill — at least early on. Harbaugh isn’t wrong about Gordon being a proven back, but he failed to touch on the fact that Gordon averaged 3.5 YPC last season, is now 30 years old, and spent the final six weeks of last season on the Chiefs’ practice squad. If fantasy managers want to kick the tires on Gordon, we’d encourage them to do so with low expectations.

Ravens elevated RB Melvin Gordon to the active roster for Week 2 against the Bengals.

This was always thought to have been the outcome after JK Dobbins suffered yet another season-ending injury in Week 1. Baltimore moves forward with Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and Melvin Gordon in the backfield. How the workload is spread between those three backs remains to be seen, leaving all better served left on the bench in all but the deepest fantasy leagues.

Melvin Gordon rushed 10 times for 32 yards in the Ravens’ Week 3 loss to the Colts, adding two receptions for 23 yards.

Gus Edwards went down with a concussion in the second half and did not return, thrusting Melvin Gordon into the RB1 in Baltimore for the closing minutes of the game plus overtime. Gordon didn’t do much on the ground but did break off a pair of catches that went for more than 10 yards each. If Justice Hill and Gus Edwards are both out for Week 4, Gordon would [probably] get the start.

- Rotoworld
RB1 Melvin Gordon?

IN 2023??

Users who are viewing this thread