What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (2 Viewers)

Heard on Sirius that Hackett has come out and said Gordon will start the next game? What’s going on?
Trying to up his trade value?
That was my thought. Something just doesn't add up here. They basically sit the guy on Monday night. Who knows why, but perhaps to keep him healthy in some sort of trade scenario. He pouts on the sidelines throughout the whole game and afterwards in the press conference. Now they come out and say he will be starting on Sunday. Makes no sense other than to prop up his trade value.

Now they come out and say he will be starting on Sunday. Makes no sense other than to prop up his trade value.
They’re likely not getting more than a 6th round conditional pick no matter what so him getting hurt while they’re “showcasing” him is a risk that’s not with taking.
Better than nothing, but I think it would be a mistake that wouldn't sit well with the locker room. Hackett is a problem here. So is Wilson. Wilson might get it together with a new scheme, Hackett not so much. He just gets worse with each passing week. Their offense just seems so vanilla and uninspiring right now.

Heard on Sirius that Hackett has come out and said Gordon will start the next game? What’s going on?

Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett says RB Melvin Gordon will be starter Sunday vs. Jets

Hackett announced Wednesday that Gordon would start Sunday against the New York Jets. The decision comes after the coach met with Gordon following Monday night's second-half benching.

"It was a great talk," Hackett said. "Love Melvin, have so much respect for him as a pro for all he's done in this league. We'll keep all that stuff private."

Melvin Gordon rushed 11 times for 33 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 loss to the Jets, adding two receptions for 17 additional yards.

Coach Nathaniel Hackett was true to his word, giving Gordon the start. He ended up playing a little more than half of the Broncos' snaps, both out-touching and out-repping Latavius Murray. Naturally, it was Murray who got the Broncos' only goal-line looks, cashing in a two-yard score in the first quarter. Neither back seemed to have much juice. No. 3 Mike Boone mixed in for only four touches. Gordon is the closest thing Denver has to a No. 1 runner, but this will remain a "hot hand" situation. He's not an overly-compelling RB3 for Week 8 against the Jaguars.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Top of my dumpsville list.
Even if M. Gordon is considered the "No. 1 runner" in Denver, he's burning up one of my bench spots.
He has no trade value (redraft) and I have plenty of other RB2/3 that I'd start over him if necessary (A. Gibson, A.J. Dillion and D.Harris).

Last edited:

Melvin Gordon rushed nine times for 29 yards and one touchdown in the Broncos' Week 8 win over the Jaguars, adding three catches for 23 additional yards.​

Gordon continues to underwhelm fantasy managers, as the veteran running back has now rushed for 33 or fewer yards in each of his last three contests. Gordon took a back seat to Latavius Murray on the day but did manage to find the end zone on a one-yard plunge in the third quarter. The Broncos will be on bye in Week 9, but Gordon is becoming increasingly more difficult to trust. He saw four targets on the day and appears to have a leg up on Murray in the passing game, but this backfield is one to avoid if possible.
Oct 30, 2022, 1:17 PM ET

Is Gordon really the #9 ranked half back on PFF? My sub ended so I only see the top 3, but if the order is correct, he's #9.

I used to love PFF and would use their grades to search out dynasty stashes or trade targets. Not so much anymore though. I either don't understand their grading, or it gives too much of a boost to some of the situational guys that get their number called with the right play at the right time.

Is Gordon really the #9 ranked half back on PFF? My sub ended so I only see the top 3, but if the order is correct, he's #9.

I used to love PFF and would use their grades to search out dynasty stashes or trade targets. Not so much anymore though. I either don't understand their grading, or it gives too much of a boost to some of the situational guys that get their number called with the right play at the right time.
Blame Collinsworth-less

Yes, because he's the reason they're so bad.

/sarcasm
They're doing him a favor.
I can't see Gordon being relevant anymore. Certainly not someone you can trust in your fantasy lineup.
I can't see him being relevant to an NFL franchise either.

/sarcasm
I can't see Gordon being relevant anymore. Certainly not someone you can trust in your fantasy lineup.
Somebody will pick him up, but I wouldn't want him on my fantasy team.

/sarcasm
I can see him being just good enough to hurt somebody else's value though. Just like he did with Javonte Williams.

Off the top of my head: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, NYG, Sea are all landing spots where I think he could easily win the #2 job, and likely be more involved than the current #2.

Or somebody like KC or Pittsburgh who just had backup RBs get injured and would probably prefer not to give their starters 20+ touches.

/sarcasm
I can see him being just good enough to hurt somebody else's value though. Just like he did with Javonte Williams.

Off the top of my head: Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, NYG, Sea are all landing spots where I think he could easily win the #2 job, and likely be more involved than the current #2.

Or somebody like KC or Pittsburgh who just had backup RBs get injured and would probably prefer not to give their starters 20+ touches.
I don't think you have to worry about KC giving their starter 20+ carries and I don't see Indy signing him. I do agree with you however that he could be a hindrance to an established starter. I wish he would just fade away.

/sarcasm
Somebody will pick him up, but I wouldn't want him on my fantasy team.
he may get picked up but it would be foolish to give him enough carries to be relevant.

What is wrong with this team. You are adamant splitting carries with Williams and Gordon. Then, after Williams gets hurt, you decide Gordon is so bad you give more carries to Murray and eventually cut Gordon?? And on the same day Edmunds is hurt and out. Hackett is a dead man walking.

He was cut for ball security issues. Doesn't seem like a stat a lot of teams are looking to shore up. I could see a critical injury maybe forcing a team to look for a vet like Gordon, but his play this year hasn't been special in any way.
Spot on.

Because the market is fairly barren for street FA's he likely finds a job but no team is going to actually want to give him any carries because he's just not good enough to be a fumbler.

Don't see him as a threat to any RB for fantasy other then maybe someone's handcuff potentially no longer being the clear cut handcuff.

Easy signing for any Playoff team that needs to unload some carries especially when games are well in hand
He might fumble again but on a good team he has value and can help
Baltimore will bring him right in to add to their Mix
Giants could use a better RB2 behind Saquon
Seattle lost Penny and could use another RB along side Walker
The teams are endless that will want to take a look at him, even as their RB3, wouldn't mind a bit if Miami brought him in and dumped Gaskin at this point at their last RB on the bench...ok maybe not Miami but there is plenty of teams that need his services.

Easy signing for any Playoff team that needs to unload some carries especially when games are well in hand
The teams are endless that will want to take a look at him, even as their RB3, wouldn't mind a bit if Miami brought him in and dumped Gaskin at this point at their last RB on the bench...ok maybe not Miami but there is plenty of teams that need his services.
Why would a playoff team want a fumbler to ruin a playoff game?

As MoP said, someone to give carries to once the game is well in hand. But if the game is well in hand, why not give carries to that young guy at the end of the bench, or pulled off of your practice squad? Give him some playoff touches, and see what the kid can do.

at this point in his career, Melvin Gordon is a 3.5 YPC guy who fumbles every other play and gets his QB killed. I don't think there should be many teams knocking down the door for his services.

As MoP said, someone to give carries to once the game is well in hand. But if the game is well in hand, why not give carries to that young guy at the end of the bench, or pulled off of your practice squad? Give him some playoff touches, and see what the kid can do.

at this point in his career, Melvin Gordon is a 3.5 YPC guy who fumbles every other play and gets his QB killed. I don't think there should be many teams knocking down the door for his services.
Yep! He isn't running as aggressively because he is afraid to fumble. He even admitted the fumbles are in his head. He is broken. I'm shocked(sort of) that the Broncos didn't release him several games ago. He lost at least 3 games for them this year.

Yep! He isn't running as aggressively because he is afraid to fumble. He even admitted the fumbles are in his head. He is broken. I'm shocked(sort of) that the Broncos didn't release him several games ago. He lost at least 3 games for them this year.

You are talking about Nathaniel Hackett. And it was more than 3. Gordon got some assists is all.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs are expected to sign Melvin Gordon to their practice squad.​

After getting cut by the Broncos on November 21st, Gordon went unclaimed on waivers but now finds himself playing for his old AFC West rivals. Rookie Isiah Pacheco has rushed 53 times for 258 yards and one touchdown over the last three weeks and should continue to serve as the team's lead back going forward. There's a good chance Gordon is nothing more than insurance behind Jerick McKinnon with Clyde Edwards-Helaire being sidelined for at least three more games. This season with the Broncos, Gordon rushed 90 times for 318 yards and two touchdowns while also fumbling five times. Even if he's promoted to the active roster, Gordon will be hard to trust for fantasy purposes.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Nov 28, 2022, 4:17 PM ET

Super Bowl Champion

(yep, practice squad players are entitled to a SB ring per the CBA, though it can be of a lessor value)
Now that he gets a ring, albeit cheaper, he should retire so we don't have to see the threat of him taking carries away from a young running back.

Super Bowl Champion

(yep, practice squad players are entitled to a SB ring per the CBA, though it can be of a lessor value)
Now that he gets a ring, albeit cheaper, he should retire so we don't have to see the threat of him taking carries away from a young running back.

I think those days are over...he will be 30 in April, averaged 3.5 YPC in 2022 and ended the year on a practice squad...if a young RB loses carries to a player like Gordon, they probably aren't very good.

Super Bowl Champion

I think those days are over...he will be 30 in April, averaged 3.5 YPC in 2022 and ended the year on a practice squad...if a young RB loses carries to a player like Gordon, they probably aren't very good.
You got that right

Users who are viewing this thread