What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (5 Viewers)

iamkoza said:
so bell had a loophole because he was francished right? gordon wasnt franchised. hadnt considered this until now
yes, Bell was a FA who was franchised... it didn't matter if he played or not because he would be an FA the following yr.  Gordon has to be available the min 6 games or else hes not a FA.  I don't see the Chargers increasing the offer and at this point its looking like a week 11 FF Return will be the case.

yes, Bell was a FA who was franchised... it didn't matter if he played or not because he would be an FA the following yr.  Gordon has to be available the min 6 games or else hes not a FA.  I don't see the Chargers increasing the offer and at this point its looking like a week 11 FF Return will be the case.
I do not believe the bolded is correct. It has been posted in this thread that he might need to report for as little as a single gamemight need to report before week 9, or might need to report before week 13. There is no scenario I am aware of that forces him to report for a minimum of 6 games. That number is usually associated with players who need to accrue another season towards free agency. Gordon does not need to do that.

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

I do not believe the bolded is correct. It has been posted in this thread that he might need to report for as little as a single gamemight need to report before week 9, or might need to report before week 13. There is no scenario I am aware of that forces him to report for a minimum of 6 games. That number is usually associated with players who need to accrue another season towards free agency. Gordon does not need to do that.
I keep wondering about this myself.  Thinking logically (tough to do here), he'd get 1/16th of his salary this year, roughly $350k, if he only played one game, and would be giving up about 5.25m.  Does he really think he'll get 5.25m more guaranteed next year by doing this?

So what does he "need to do" to be an UFA next year, if that's his goal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep wondering about this myself.  Thinking logically (tough to do here), he'd get 1/16th of his salary this year, roughly $350k, if he only played one game, and would be giving up about 5.25m.  Does he really think he'll get 5.25m more guaranteed next year by doing this?

So what does he "need to do" to be an UFA next year, if that's his goal?
He has to report to the team at some point to avoid his contract tolling and carrying over to next year. All of those links give rationales for why he might need to report for just 1 game, might need to report with 8 games remaining, or might need to report at least 30 days prior to the end of the regular season, which would be prior to week 13. Given that there is seemingly ambiguity, it seems likely that he and his agent will be conservative, and the most conservative of these is to hold out for no more than 8 games.

If he does that, he would lose 1/17 of his salary (not 1/16) for each of the 8 regular season games for sure. He would also be subject to fines of $630K for missing training camp and 1/17 of his salary for each of the 4 missed preseason games. If the team upheld the fines, and he did indeed report after week 8, he would make just $1,018,529 of his $5,605,000 salary this year.

In his 53-man roster projection Wednesday, ESPN's Eric Williams wrote to "expect" Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

Williams had nothing more to add to it than that, so it remains a bit mysterious. However, this is the real first sign of hope we've seen regarding Gordon possibly reporting to the team. He just doesn't seem to have much leverage here. It doesn't sound like the Chargers haven't budged much with their offer. Gordon might just be forced to play out the final year of his deal and look for a big-money contract elsewhere next offseason. This is different than the Le'Veon Bell situation because Bell wasn't technically even under contract during his holdout. Gordon has routinely been going around the fourth round in fantasy drafts of late.

im surprised how loosely this beat reporter is reporting this. considering how 75% of his twitter followers are only looking to him for fantasy news on the chargers. this appears to be a total hunch to which he replied in his tweet thread that the $330k game checks are his reason for thnking he'll report

im surprised how loosely this beat reporter is reporting this. considering how 75% of his twitter followers are only looking to him for fantasy news on the chargers. this appears to be a total hunch to which he replied in his tweet thread that the $330k game checks are his reason for thnking he'll report
yeah he might be right, but that seems a little flimsy.

He is a Chargers ESPN beat writer so he could have inside information but can't divulge his source.  At least I would hope that is the case.

prob looking to unload him from his fantasy team.

As a dynasty owner, I like week 8 much more than before week 13. 
I hear ya man... try owning Gordon AND Zeke... yikes.

I'm hoping one of them signs if not both.

I live and work mere miles from Chargers camp and haven't heard anything locally as of this morning.  

Crossing my fingers it happens in the next few days.  

Update from Eric Williams:

Updating a previous item, ESPN's Eric Williams said it's "just a hunch" that he expects Melvin Gordon to end his holdout in time for Week 1.

In his latest 53-man roster projection for the Chargers, Williams wrote that he "expects" Gordon to end his holdout in time for the season opener. Williams left it at that and failed to expand on the statement. When pressed on Twitter, Williams stated it was "just a hunch" based on the fact Gordon would be forfeiting hundreds of thousands of dollars in game checks if he starts missing real action. It's been quiet on the Gordon front. Talks don't seem to be any closer, however.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter

Aug 28, 2019, 4:09 PM ET

This one is truly up in the air. He will or won't. Just seems to me that some other team will pay him next year. Full year or not. Other options include Carlos Hyde who is hanging on by a tenuous thread in KC. Gordon will be a sought out resource at season's end. Like it or not.  

This one is truly up in the air. He will or won't. Just seems to me that some other team will pay him next year. Full year or not. Other options include Carlos Hyde who is hanging on by a tenuous thread in KC. Gordon will be a sought out resource at season's end. Like it or not.  
Sought after, yes. At the price he wants, no. 

Tell Gurley. He with all the question marks and all but vanishing when needed most. The Rams MAY have overpaid. Do we know? No. Will we soon know yes. They still paid it. and he has more question marks than Gordon...At this moment. Like I said we'll see. Bell cashed in as well and many will want to see how his running style works in NY/Jersey. They paid him handsomely to find out though. Question marks do not mean certainty. There lies the Risk. Gordon will be above the risk line for some teams I'd think.

Probably the worst bit of reporting I've ever seen.  "yeah idk I think he shows" "PRINT IT JOHNNY!"

fark me

The reporter might have gotten a phone call from Melvin asking him what the hell he thinks he's doing.  Melvin does not want the Chargers thinking that he is going to cave.  Melvin wants the Chargers to up their offer one last time before he agrees to whatever is on the table come Monday.

While I agree it’s just one mans opinion with no apparent substance, it is coming from a guy who’s followed the team for years. It’s possible he’s exposed to sources or been told information that most wouldn’t be aware of. 

He came out after with a follow up tweet saying "it's just a hunch".  Seems like he shouldn't have tweeted it all but that's the media environment we live in.

Tell Gurley. He with all the question marks and all but vanishing when needed most. The Rams MAY have overpaid. Do we know? No. Will we soon know yes. They still paid it. and he has more question marks than Gordon...At this moment. Like I said we'll see. Bell cashed in as well and many will want to see how his running style works in NY/Jersey. They paid him handsomely to find out though. Question marks do not mean certainty. There lies the Risk. Gordon will be above the risk line for some teams I'd think.
The last 5 big RB contracts were for Gurley, Freeman, Johnson, McKinnon, and Bell. The first four of those look like bad deals for the teams, and Bell's own head coach questioned giving him his contract this offseason. Looking at that recent track record, any team that pays a RB money comparable to those guys is likely going to regret it.

Chargers will run him into the ground if/when he shows up around week 10.
If the chargers hadn't run him in the ground his numbers would have looked pretty pedestrian and the case that he somehow deserves Gurley/Bell/DJ money would look even more silly than it does now. Running him into the ground is the only reason the fantasy community thinks that he is much more talented than he really is. 

If the chargers hadn't run him in the ground his numbers would have looked pretty pedestrian and the case that he somehow deserves Gurley/Bell/DJ money would look even more silly than it does now. Running him into the ground is the only reason the fantasy community thinks that he is much more talented than he really is. 
I'm not saying he is Gurly just that some team will overpay.

Gordon should take his 10MM a year guaranteed and thank the heavens. Dude is not some elite talent. Is he a good back? Yeah absolutely. But RB’s and their agents are really delusional as it has become quite apparent the league (owners) have driven down the value of most RB’s. RBBC’s, shelf life, all playing a major factor.

Now I understand the players point of view knowing their shelf life is the shortest of any position (they touch the ball the most other than the QB), but the owners and coaches have succeeded in to getting a RB’s pay scale down to the “mule” level vs the elite levels of WR’s and QB’s. In a free market system, supply and demand rule. There are ton’s of RB’s out there willing to play for less that can give similar production in years 1-3. Typically by year 4 or 5 the tread is getting worn and that is when a player typically wants cash in......nope. Unless you are super elite (Zeke, Kamara, and soon Barkley) you are not getting the monster contracts of yester year. 

And before last season Gurley was elite. You can’t predict injury. 

Gordon has never been Elite. He is not even in the same class as a Barkley, Kamara, Zeke, Bell and yes pre-injury Gurley. 10MM a year is a fair offer for his track history.

Tool said:
He came out after with a follow up tweet saying "it's just a hunch".  Seems like he shouldn't have tweeted it all but that's the media environment we live in.
If he's putting out his projections for the final roster - there's going to be some speculation involved.

... think Leveon got his center to come over with him. Could be wrong. But I think there’s going to be more continuity there than we expect.

sorry about the lev bell talk.

Gordon dynasty owner here, and I’m expecting another Bell type holdout. Well he can’t do the same, but week 8 or 10 ... however long he has to sit to accrue a league year, is what I expect to happen.

Sucks.

You are wrong.
Cool. Thanks for the insight.

I swear there was some connection in that offense In regards to Bell. Coaching staff? Someone on the offensive line? 

Im Googling around ... but I was sure there was SOMETHING in the offense that was a plus for Bell’s outlook.

Please feel free to type 3 words again if I’m wrong. 

Cool. Thanks for the insight.

I swear there was some connection in that offense In regards to Bell. Coaching staff? Someone on the offensive line? 

Im Googling around ... but I was sure there was SOMETHING in the offense that was a plus for Bell’s outlook.

Please feel free to type 3 words again if I’m wrong. 
Well he didn’t take the Pitt Center with him. Jets just signed Khalil out of retirement recently. 

I don’t know of any connection.

GM quote from last night

https://twitter.com/eric_d_williams/status/1167284936379965440

Tom Telesco on Melvin Gordon holdout: "I'm disappointed it has lasted this long. I pride myself in having solutions to problems, and I haven't solved this one yet. We know what he means to our team, and even bigger than that what he means to our organization But the other side is we have a big game coming up this week with the Colts, and I'm confident in the players that we have on the field right now will play well
:shrug:

Pretty vanilla.  Not upset at anyone really, maybe other than himself.  Not nearly the drama we're seeing with Zeke.  I've gotten the feeling that Gordon was just going to hold out as long as he could to get the biggest deal he could from the team, but that he'd end up reporting.  Honestly, if he was offered a Freeman type deal, he should take it.  Should have taken it weeks ago.

Sounds like a guy that doesn't even realize the biggest problem on the team is at LT. Rivers reads at the LOS have covered up the telesco incompetence at building even an average OL for years but the current group is the worst in a very long time. If(when) the chargers disappoint this season the mouth breathers and talking heads will say it is because of Gordon but the folks with half a brain will realize that the OL is pure trash.

I don't have an exact figure to quote, but it seems once permission to seek a trade is given, a trade usually follows like 90% of the time.

Tampa Bay makes the most sense, they'd need to structure a Gordon deal so that he'd almost make less money this year, but he'd likely be ok with that, if the long term money was top notch. 

Who else makes sense?

Houston(Hyde isn't stopping interest)

Green Bay maybe(I like Jones, but they have the money, and Gordon is a local)

Jacksonville(no secret Fournette is on thin ice, though reports have been positive of late)

Miami(have money, don't seem to have a plan)

I don't have an exact figure to quote, but it seems once permission to seek a trade is given, a trade usually follows like 90% of the time.

Tampa Bay makes the most sense, they'd need to structure a Gordon deal so that he'd almost make less money this year, but he'd likely be ok with that, if the long term money was top notch. 

Who else makes sense?

Houston(Hyde isn't stopping interest)

Green Bay maybe(I like Jones, but they have the money, and Gordon is a local)

Jacksonville(no secret Fournette is on thin ice, though reports have been positive of late)

Miami(have money, don't seem to have a plan)
Giving ARod Flash seems unfair. That could be a very good fit 

Users who are viewing this thread