What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (3 Viewers)

Since Ameer is probably the #1 RB as long as Bell is out, I wonder how much he'll play tonight. Im excited to see him in action. Hoping he plays a half but guessing only a series or 2.
Since Ameer is probably the #1 RB as long as Bell is out, I wonder how much he'll play tonight. Im excited to see him in action. Hoping he plays a half but guessing only a series or 2.
I would think 2 series is the MAX you will see him in there. They will have 5 active rbs dressed tonight. I would think 1 or 2 series from him and Reddick and the other 3 guys are playing for 1 or 2 spots on the roster.
Yep. I suspect the same. As an Ameer owner in 1 dynasty league, several draftmasters/mfl10 and a few big money redrafts...I really hope he's quiet in the preseason. Double wdged sword really. I would love to see him blow up to validate my value of him but of course with many more redrafts to go, I'd prefer he stays quiet so he remains a possibility in round 5+

I get it. We've all been high on players.

I simply have a lot of questions with this dude. I don't see a true stud, but he's got the potential to be a be a nice RB2 in PPR as long as his situation holds. That said, I wouldn't even crown him a legit longterm RB2 until some questions are answered.

I usually respect FJ's call on RB prospects, but in this case I disagree. I don't see how you can question Ameer's fluidity or elusiveness. Those are two of his best traits. Not only that, but he's probably tops in the whole RB class in those categories. You can pull up pretty much any highlight reel of his college days and see multiple examples of him making people completely whiff in space.

I think he's a better pure athlete than Gurley or Gordon. Are they bigger and faster? Yes, but I would say he is more athletic in general. The fact that he crushed every drill at the combine besides the 40 supports that. He reminds me of guys like Harvin and Beckham in terms of his fluid movement and explosiveness. Obviously he plays a different position, but he has that same effortless athletic style.

I get it. We've all been high on players.

I simply have a lot of questions with this dude. I don't see a true stud, but he's got the potential to be a be a nice RB2 in PPR as long as his situation holds. That said, I wouldn't even crown him a legit longterm RB2 until some questions are answered.
It's pretty ridiculous how people are jumping all over you for expressing concerns. I like Ameer a good deal, especially in Det. I'm not sure he's a 3 down back, though. Other smallish guys have done it so there is certainly hope. I'm not holding my breath. I think the odds are he's more Sproles than anything else.

I usually respect FJ's call on RB prospects, but in this case I disagree. I don't see how you can question Ameer's fluidity or elusiveness. Those are two of his best traits. Not only that, but he's probably tops in the whole RB class in those categories. You can pull up pretty much any highlight reel of his college days and see multiple examples of him making people completely whiff in space.

I think he's a better pure athlete than Gurley or Gordon. Are they bigger and faster? Yes, but I would say he is more athletic in general. The fact that he crushed every drill at the combine besides the 40 supports that. He reminds me of guys like Harvin and Beckham in terms of his fluid movement and explosiveness. Obviously he plays a different position, but he has that same effortless athletic style.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying Abdullah will bust. I've said he's got the potential to be a nice RB2 in PPR.

Also, I'm not really bashing his fluidity or elusiveness in general. If you're specifically talking hip flexion, which I think is a much needed attribute in smaller RBs, Abdullah is very mediocre. He'll have more trouble being elusive in traffic. He's a difficult one on one matchup for defenders in space, but those situations are fairly rare in the pro game.

The stud call this early is what has me very leery.

The crux of the question is simply Bell's fitness.

Bell has been dinged on and off for 2 seasons. Bush got good numbers two years ago because Bell was less in the frame. I feel bell gained a lot of trust last year and ended well, but he was dinged up quite early and in the middle of the season when Riddick came to the fore.

Personally, I'm drafting Abdullah on the provisal that he is a bench player incase Bell doesn't appear early/Abdullah flashes early/Bells fitness continues to struggle, I which case Abdullah is a veritable RB1/2 had for good value in the 6-8 round.

If Bell returns and sticks about then Abdullah is POTENTIALLY a very good PPR flex play and prob not much more this season.

7 yarder was sweep to outside. Good blocking set it up. 4 yarder had a small move. The 45 yarder was really nice- nice plant and cut behind the line and a head bob to send him off to the races. Didn't show a higher gear though.

He looks electric. You need to see the highlights, he isn't just the going through holes, he is juking and cutting hard. Hips look really stiff though.

7 yarder was sweep to outside. Good blocking set it up. 4 yarder had a small move. The 45 yarder was really nice- nice plant and cut behind the line and a head bob to send him off to the races. Didn't show a higher gear though.
Doesn't have breakaway speed at all. However, even on the 4 yard, he did a pretty little jump cut and had a defender totally whiff.

Emmit Smith didn't have "breakaway speed."

:popcorn:

Like I said a few days ago...everybody will be on this bandwagon after a few preseason games.

Like I said a few days ago...everybody will be on this bandwagon after a few preseason games.
He's exactly as advertised and showed at combine. Tons of moves, lateral agility, but long speed is average.

BTW, Abdullah obviously has good change of direction. He can definitely plant hard & make a quick lateral move in the open field to force a missed tackle, but looser hips would help maximize that ability & make him more dynamic. Examples of loose hips for similar sized RBs would be Jamal Charles & LeSean McCoy. At that size, you've really got to have special attributes.
At this point you REALLY need to explain what you mean by "loose hips" because I feel like I'm not alone in having no clue at all what you're trying to imply beyond change of direction.
He needs to plant harder & and make a quicker lateraler move in the open field to forcer a misseder tackle, but looserer hips would help maximizer that ability & make him morer dynamicer.

He's exactly as advertised and showed at combine. Tons of moves, lateral agility, but long speed is average.
Right and people will love that highlight but it also was a move in space. We already know he can do that. Need to see the tighter quarters runs. I think Det will be able to put him in space a decent amount but still, can he be a true lead back?

I love him, but he is pretty much off my radar since I live in Detroit and have a couple big time homers in the league. I wonder how high I would have to reach to get him. If he flashes anything in preseason, it might be 4th round. It sucks because he is falling pretty far in mocks. I love everything I am hearing. Hopefully he can provide the offense with what Jahvid Best was before his career ended.
What mocks are you using? Fantasy Football calculator, he goes in the 5th of 12 team PPR drafts. The other mocks like Yahoo he goes later.
Fantasy Pros which I believe averages all the major sites together has him in the late 7th for standard.
That's going to go up at least two rounds after a few preseason games.
Could you give me some insight on why you feel so confident he is going to look so good in preseason? I like him as well and have him on a few of my teams and like his upside but you are speaking so confidently about how you feel about him I just want to know what you know or why you feel this why?
I think Abdullah is more likely than most to flash a some sick moves and break off some stunning highlight type plays against the future UPS drivers and sky caps that he will likely be facing in the preseason. Fantasy players will start salivating over his potential and start reaching for him earlier and earlier...etc.
Well, that sure didn't take long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Right and people will love that highlight but it also was a move in space. We already know he can do that. Need to see the tighter quarters runs.I think Det will be able to put him in space a decent amount but still, can he be a true lead back?
That's the question if he's going to be a stud. In short, the answer is no, IMO. I think is upside comes in with the right usage. Abdullah needs lots of receptions & a affair amount of rushes. Good news is he's in a pretty good situation right now.

All I am going to take is that he is taking advantage of his situation right now Riddick isn't doing much with his runs. Big test will be once Bell comes back. I haven't seen Abdullah get an routes either

All I am going to take is that he is taking advantage of his situation right now Riddick isn't doing much with his runs. Big test will be once Bell comes back. I haven't seen Abdullah get an routes either
:unsure:

A complete time split between him and Riddick right now. Both playing. 7 and 8 carries (Theo/Ameer).

3.66 outside of the 45 yarder for Ameer. Not discounting it (9.6 is awesome), but I think it plays to his super small size. Theo at 4.4.

A complete time split between him and Riddick right now. Both playing. 7 and 8 carries (Theo/Ameer).

3.66 outside of the 45 yarder for Ameer. Not discounting it (9.6 is awesome), but I think it plays to his super small size. Theo at 4.4.
The fact that he is making moves when I see nothing of the sort from Riddick. You have to step back and ask yourself, Could Riddick of made that 45 yard run or would he have been tackled behind the line?

I love him, but he is pretty much off my radar since I live in Detroit and have a couple big time homers in the league. I wonder how high I would have to reach to get him. If he flashes anything in preseason, it might be 4th round. It sucks because he is falling pretty far in mocks. I love everything I am hearing. Hopefully he can provide the offense with what Jahvid Best was before his career ended.
What mocks are you using? Fantasy Football calculator, he goes in the 5th of 12 team PPR drafts. The other mocks like Yahoo he goes later.
Fantasy Pros which I believe averages all the major sites together has him in the late 7th for standard.
That's going to go up at least two rounds after a few preseason games.
Could you give me some insight on why you feel so confident he is going to look so good in preseason? I like him as well and have him on a few of my teams and like his upside but you are speaking so confidently about how you feel about him I just want to know what you know or why you feel this why?
I think Abdullah is more likely than most to flash a some sick moves and break off some stunning highlight type plays against the future UPS drivers and sky caps that he will likely be facing in the preseason. Fantasy players will start salivating over his potential and start reaching for him earlier and earlier...etc.
Well, that sure didn't take long.
Revis made the tackle on the long run FYI

Kid is the real deal. He has passed every test at every turn so far.

The fact that he is making moves when I see nothing of the sort from Riddick. You have to step back and ask yourself, Could Riddick of made that 45 yard run or would he have been tackled behind the line?
I don't know who takes that run for 45 yds like Ameer did. I think 90% of the backs in the NFL make that guy at the LOS miss, though. That was a lot of space to work with and that guy was clearly playing the edge, meaning he wasn't getting beat outside. Ameer made it look easier to juke him than 90% of the backs in the NFL, though. The run does nothing to help me personally feel better about him. I want to see him run in tight spaces, not country mile spaces. I expect Ameer to make those kinds of plays in space.

Rotoworld:

Ameer Abdullah - RB - Lions

Ameer Abdullah rushed for 67 yards on seven carries in the Lions' preseason opener Thursday night.

An offseason darling, Abdullah backed it up when the lights came on against the Jets. With Joique Bell still in recovery mode from offseason knee and Achilles' issues, Abdullah ran with the starters and broke off a monster 45-yard run between the tackles, showing off his agility and cutting ability. One of the stars of the opening night of preseason, this performance will only boost Abdullah's ADP.

Aug 13 - 9:48 PM

Wouldn't overthink this.

Get him.
^This^ is the bottom line. We're all guilty of this at times, including myself.... but paralysis by analysis can be devastating and cause you to miss out on drafting AP in round 4-5 his rookie season, as an example. People want all of the tests to be perfect and that's rarely the case and when it is (J Stew) sometimes that result does not meet expectations. Ameer has 90% of what one would call ideal traits for an uber elite RB and on his 3rd carry in an NFL (preseason) game, he made a slick juke and took it 45 yards. Do yourselves a favor, draft Ameer in round 5 if he's available.

While he looked impressive I'm not drinking the kool aid yet and will most likely let someone else take him at his ADP which will certainly rise. Bell isn't going away.

Sorry for the delay; Vines aren't my style. This kid is a serious ankle-breaker.
Jahvid Best/Reggie Bush hybrid
I thought of Best because of the speed and I thought of Reggie because of the jersey number. But really he's different from both of them.
Maybe you mean quickness because Ameer has absolutely nothing on Best when it comes to speed.
Burst, yes.

Sorry for the delay; Vines aren't my style. This kid is a serious ankle-breaker.
I thought of Best because of the speed and I thought of Reggie because of the jersey number. But really he's different from both of them.
Maybe you mean quickness because Ameer has absolutely nothing on Best when it comes to speed.
Burst, yes.
Yep, definitely see the burst.

Burst, yes.
Yep, definitely see the burst.
Sorry, doing a million things between football, baseball & Twitter. I don't question his ability; I fear The Joique.

Users who are viewing this thread