What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (3 Viewers)

Has Duke Johnson shown anything to this point that would lead anyone to believe he is a three down back and capable of grinding out the tough yards? I understand getting him out in space. It suits his slight frame and delicate build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Duke Johnson shown anything to this point that would lead anyone to believe he is a three down back and capable of grinding out the tough yards? I understand getting him out in space. It suits his slight frame and delicate build.
He just needs carries. He is uber talented.

Chargers defense have given up the 2nd most (depending on scoring) RB fantasy production so far. Give the kid some touches this week, and I bet he puts up RB2'ish numbers at worst.

I don't think he is. He's pretty small. I wouldn't expect much goal line work for him even if he becomes the lead back.

Any chance this guy becomes the lead back?
This Browns blog thinks so:

"After a pretty good showing in Week 2, Isaiah Crowell missed some opportunities in Week 3 and didn't seem to finish runs as well. His inability to convert at the goal line was a momentum-killer in the first half last week, and if Robert Turbin is able to go against the Ravens next week, don't be surprised to see him get opportunities right away. The Chargers are vulnerable against the run, but I think this could be the week that Duke Johnson is given the reigns as the team's lead back to see how he can perform."

Damn. Just stuffed with a run from the 1 to punch it in. Would have been nice.

Not getting the TD was ok for those trying to acquire him.

Any concerns moving forward? - Was this a one week situation with the Browns falling behind and vs SD at that? - Will Turbin start getting time?

I can see the 8/31 being the norm, but he looks explosive as a receiver. How will teams stop that?

Lol @ that LB huffing and puffing on that TD reception.

Dion Lewis Lite.

I think he's a must start flex player in PPR leagues today.
God bless this post. It was basically the last thing I looked at before setting my lineup after agonizing between Duke and Rawls, so I decided to go with Duke. Would have lost one of my matchups and sweated the other one down to the wire last night with a 1-point win.

Congrats on your thought leadership.

God bless this post. It was basically the last thing I looked at before setting my lineup after agonizing between Duke and Rawls, so I decided to go with Duke. Would have lost one of my matchups and sweated the other one down to the wire last night with a 1-point win.

Yea I listened to Bloom and went Rawls.

I spent 25 ####### $ on Rawls so I had an RB2 this week meanwhile I had this guy on my bench all along. Im not bitter at all. But at least I won anyway.

Yea I listened to Bloom and went Rawls.
Always win or lose based on your own gut calls. Bloom and every other "expert" can only speculate as to what any player will do on any given week.

Listen to their collective analysis but always form your own judgements and opinions based on your gut instinct and analysis. That way, when you make the wrong choice, or the right choice, you can only attribute it to you.

It's a really crappy feeling to bench a player based on someone else's thought process only to watch that player explode on your bench.

Trying to sell high in .5 ppr redraft. I agree, his week 4 outburst was a match-up-specific thing. I also figure when (probably not if, I guess) Manziel takes over, the pass targets will dry up. Not sure I'll be able to get anything done, but I'm trying.

It was a great post but it also might mean his big day was just specific to playing San Diego.
That was much of my thinking (I'm a Charger homer). But regardless, you had to like what you saw from him if you're an owner. That goal line opportunity really surprised me. I doubt he gets many more of those - I figure Crowell or Turbin would get most of those chances. Seemed like they were going with the hot hand/and or trying to keep the Chargers from subbing in a goal line defensive package there.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to start this guy in PPR leagues this season. And if Crowell misses time, Johnson could be a solid RB 2.

Think he should be a flex option in PPR at the least going forward. Dave Richard said the way they are using him he is going to get like 6-7 receptions a game. Any RB that gets that many receptions will have value. Duke has good upside if they use him enough in the run game because he will pile up yards through the air as well.

Pettine on Sirius radio this morning:

"He's everything we thought he would be when he was drafted"

"More than capable to be our first down and second down back"

...and then all the usual positive comments on pass-catching.

Its strange that there seems to be more hype for Duke than Melvin Gordon.

1. Gordon is already the lead back. Duke isn't.

2. Gordon doesn't have the injury history. Duke gets hurt a lot.

3. Gordon catches a lot of balls, so you aren't losing anything there.

If you can, try to trade Duke for Gordon. Gordon's value seems pretty low right now.

If you can, try to trade Duke for Gordon. Gordon's value seems pretty low right now.
Yeah Id much rather have Duke

thinking of offering Woodhead for him.
In a redraft Id rather have Woodhead. Duke is basically a poor man's Woodhead.
I agree right now but I think Duke has a more realistic path to be more of a consistent workhorse than Woodhead does. Duke's snapcount has pretty consistently increased...31, 26, 40, 43 to a high of 54 (61% to Crowell's 34)...On the flipside in Woodhead's situation you have a rookie (Gordon) that like Duke is getting more comfortable and taking a bigger lionshare of the snapcount. Woodhead and Gordon's snapcount has been 42/36, 32/29, 34/28, 36/30 and this week 29/46. So it was basically a pretty even split until this week where Gordon got 61% of the snaps.

The staff seems to like Duke better than Crow and Turbin is an X factor at this point. I like the trend and the usage of Duke. Duke will hopefully never hit my lineup as he'd be my 4/5 RB but I think he's got a higher potential upside if things break right.

Woodhead owner here and thinking about dealing him even though he's traditionally been money in PPR. Gordon seems to be coming on more and was actually targeted more than Woodhead against PIT last Monday.

I think Duke's arrow is trending up whereas Woodhead is staying the same or even pointing slightly down with Gordon coming on. That said Duke's not "the man" yet and it might not happen until next year with Crow playing well and Turbin coming on...so I think he's going to have a lot of up and down games.

Woodhead owner here and thinking about dealing him even though he's traditionally been money in PPR. Gordon seems to be coming on more and was actually targeted more than Woodhead against PIT last Monday.

I think Duke's arrow is trending up whereas Woodhead is staying the same or even pointing slightly down with Gordon coming on. That said Duke's not "the man" yet and it might not happen until next year with Crow playing well and Turbin coming on...so I think he's going to have a lot of up and down games.
I just offered Woodhead for Duke and got turned down...we have a dynasty aspect and rookies have a bit more value.

I drafted both in both my leagues. Now I just have Duke left in one league, not because I don't like Woodhead. That's just how my trades have turned out. Surprisingly, people actually valued Woodhead as much as I did. I do like them both in PPR, and I see Duke as a Woodhead-lite. However, I will say that I think Duke has the higher upside this year with the bigger chance to end up the lead back.

Matchups have no impact on receiving backs imo. As a matter if fact a case can be made that the tougher the run defense the more the team will have to utilize their pass catching rb

Matchups have no impact on receiving backs imo. As a matter if fact a case can be made that the tougher the run defense the more the team will have to utilize their pass catching rb
They do (IMO), but not in the traditional sense. Looking at the receptions/receiving yards/rec TDs a team has allowed to opposing RBs can be helpful when making lineup decisions with regards to receiving backs.

A lot like Matt Jones in that he doesn't have a whole lot of value in redraft leagues unless Crowell (or Alf Morris) gets hurt. Love both of them in Dynasty.

shadyridr said:
Riversco said:

Yeah Id much rather have Duke
Stick with Duke and you'll probably wind up cutting him once he gets injured.

Gordon is getting better every week.

You could sell high on Duke / buy low on Gordon this week, and at some point probably will be able to sell high on Gordon and get another upgrade if you really dislike Gordon that much, because at some point Gordon is going to have a huge day.

A lot like Matt Jones in that he doesn't have a whole lot of value in redraft leagues unless Crowell (or Alf Morris) gets hurt. Love both of them in Dynasty.
Over the last three weeks he's the number 8 RB in my PPR league, and he's getting more involved each week. I would say there's pretty decent value in redraft leagues.

Over the last three weeks he's the number 8 RB in my PPR league, and he's getting more involved each week. I would say there's pretty decent value in redraft leagues.
yeah, Johnson has value in PPR leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread