What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Europa is overrated.

amirite?
I am strangely smitten with Europa. There is something about the mid-level teams from all across the continent duking it out for this second-string trophy that pleases me in a way that Champions League doesn't. Don't ask me for a deeper explanation because I don't have one; it's just visceral.
Kinda like hand jobs.
Well, I know why I like them.
I've never met a woman who could do it better than me.

Europa is overrated.

amirite?
I am strangely smitten with Europa. There is something about the mid-level teams from all across the continent duking it out for this second-string trophy that pleases me in a way that Champions League doesn't. Don't ask me for a deeper explanation because I don't have one; it's just visceral.
Kinda like hand jobs.
Well, I know why I like them.
I've never met a woman who could do it better than me.
Or as often

Out of the blue thought from this morning's commute: in addition to going up against the NFL, the winter World Cup is also going to make it pretty unlikely that those huge crowds will gather in U.S. city parks whenever the Yanks are on. Now maybe most of those folks are casual fans of the game who only come out once every four years for the international event but it still feels like it hurts progress in general.

wdcrob said:
I get it just fine. "Influencing the play" goes beyond making a play on the ball.They don't track the runners because they think they've trapped the guy offside. Which they have.

Except the stupid rule says even though they played a good offside trap they shouldn't have done it since it has them moving the wrong way from what they need to do vs the other runners.
Oh man, I love the sport of football (soccer) but I'm totally against any rule that makes it harder to score.

Changing offsides more in line with your thoughts here would cripple scoring even more.

wdcrob said:
I get it just fine. "Influencing the play" goes beyond making a play on the ball.

They don't track the runners because they think they've trapped the guy offside. Which they have.

Except the stupid rule says even though they played a good offside trap they shouldn't have done it since it has them moving the wrong way from what they need to do vs the other runners.
Oh man, I love the sport of football (soccer) but I'm totally against any rule that makes it harder to score. Changing offsides more in line with your thoughts here would cripple scoring even more.
:shrug:

This is how it was forever until 5(?) years ago?

I just don't like that the rule makes it impossible for a defender or keeper to know what to do. You can see the last defender in that gif step up and then momentarily look at the runner before holding his line. It's exactly the same for me as the keeper looking at Rooney and waiting for the touch, instead of playing the ball.

Back when I played, the Soldado play would probably have been flagged as off-side just because Eriksen was behind the defense, but the run Soldado made - from off the back line, is exactly the run we were taught to make, particularly on free kick situations. The players who were forward, and on the defenders shoulders, so to speak, would be moving toward the ball, while a midfielder (presumably unmarked) would be making the run up field - to catch the defenders going in the opposite direction trying to pull the off-side trap.

It is a little funny that those saying this is unfair to the defense, when it is the defense who is trying to pull some trickery by stepping up before the ball is played. Even if Eriksen had stepped up with the defense - keeping him in an on-side position, the defense was getting burned by Soldado's run - thats a fault of the trap, not a fault of a player like Eriksen being in an off-side position.

Where I get frustrated with the rule is closer to goal where you have a player in an off-side position who can make a play on the ball, and freezes a goal keeper who has a split second to determine what that player is doing, and as a result the goalie makes a poor attempt on the ball. Inside the box should be an automatic determination that the player is part of the play.

Coppa Italia Europa League Round of 16 Draw:

Everton(ENG) v Dynamo Kyiv(UKR)

Dnipro(UKR) v Ajax(NED)

Zenit(RUS) v Torino(ITA)

Wolfsburg(GER) v Internazionale(ITA)

Villarreal(ESP) v Sevilla(ESP)

Napoli(ITA) v Dinamo Moskva(RUS)

Club Brugge(BEL) v Beşiktaş(TUR)

Fiorentina(ITA) v Roma(ITA)

Just kidding, Spurious fans. Looking forward to your team's visit to St. Mary's in a couple of weeks.

It makes me feel good to see all of those Italian teams still alive in Europa, and Juvie, too. Serie A is full of so many bad actors, corrupt and racist, that they really need something positive. Plus I think the teams at the lower end of that table have mad skillz that the likes of Aston Villa and Leicester can only dream about.

wdcrob said:
I get it just fine. "Influencing the play" goes beyond making a play on the ball.

They don't track the runners because they think they've trapped the guy offside. Which they have.

Oh man, I love the sport of football (soccer) but I'm totally against any rule that makes it harder to score. Changing offsides more in line with your thoughts here would cripple scoring even more.

I just don't like that the rule makes it impossible for a defender or keeper to know what to do. You can see the last defender in that gif step up and then momentarily look at the runner before holding his line. It's exactly the same for me as the keeper looking at Rooney and waiting for the touch, instead of playing the ball.
I played 20+ years ago, and that play would've been called the exact same during my days- if you're in an offside position, we were taught to visibly show that you weren't involved in the play- turn your back, walk away, raise your hands- whatever. it may not have been called "passive offsides" but the game was called the same way.

except we would have scored.

wdcrob said:

I played 20+ years ago, and that play would've been called the exact same during my days- if you're in an offside position, we were taught to visibly show that you weren't involved in the play- turn your back, walk away, raise your hands- whatever. it may not have been called "passive offsides" but the game was called the same way.

except we would have scored.
Exactly right. And its completely different then the Rooney play (which I can see this argument applying too).

Shameless plug time: I've updated my list of sports franchise rankings to include MLS. Feel free to pick it apart.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/worst-best-mls-major-league-soccer-teams-franchises
Are the points for the conference title based on the regular season or the playoffs?
Regular season. Playoff conference winner can then get 15 points if they lose the MLS Cup or 25 if they win.
I am getting deja vu but did we talk about adding US Open Cup results to this process? I think we did for some reason and a case was made that they don't belong.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Source tells me RSL owner Dell Loy Hansen has been fined $150,000 for #mlscba comments. Also told fine is "by far" largest in #MLS history.

Shameless plug time: I've updated my list of sports franchise rankings to include MLS. Feel free to pick it apart.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/worst-best-mls-major-league-soccer-teams-franchises
Are the points for the conference title based on the regular season or the playoffs?
Regular season. Playoff conference winner can then get 15 points if they lose the MLS Cup or 25 if they win.
I am getting deja vu but did we talk about adding US Open Cup results to this process? I think we did for some reason and a case was made that they don't belong.
Yes that was brought up, and the feeling was that it was only fair to evaluate on performance against other teams in the league.

Huh, not sure about bartra's pen.
Not that it mattered, but it was certainly a penalty. That foul gets called about 97% of the time outside the penalty area. Not sure what is different inside the box.
Looking at the replay, I think you're right. I remembered Bartra's foot being down for longer in front of Lass.

Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't just skipped past you-know-who first, of course. I can't wait until he's gone.

They still have the transfer ban, no?

Also, the quote feature isn't working on my phone. Sorry to Hipple up this wonderful thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
@dan_bu: Officials from MLS club Sporting Kansas City were in Germany this weekend to talk to Rafael van der Vaart about a possible move to the US.

Arsenal have been cut to 1/5 for the CL after today.

So it's not quite as clear cut as United and Liverpool fighting for one spot but it's close. Current odds have them something like United 52%, Liverpool 40% to get in.

All other teams fighting over the ~25% scraps that two of the three teams above don't make it.

Looks like the Jesús Gámez experiment at left back will continue. No Mandzukic, not Torres up top, only Griezmann. Should be an interesting formation against a quality opposition.

My question is, where is Ansaldi?

Users who are viewing this thread