What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I look at the Manchester United lineup from today and I realize that they are really just a shell of what they were. Pogba not in the lineup contributes to this, however, if you put that lineup behind the name Crystal Palace or West Ham, no one would think anything of it. Just a lot of "players".

I look at the Manchester United lineup from today and I realize that they are really just a shell of what they were. Pogba not in the lineup contributes to this, however, if you put that lineup behind the name Crystal Palace or West Ham, no one would think anything of it. Just a lot of "players".
Absolutely. There's nobody in that lineup that makes you say "oh ####, we better watch out for THAT guy"

DeGea is still a top 5 keeper, Wan-Bissaka has big time upside. McGuire is excellent. Lindelof is still getting better but absolutely sucks in the air.

Everyone else that was out there today is basically just a JAG in the EPL at this point. I like Rashford, but I dont think he's some sort of big difference maker unless there are other ELITE players up front with him to take the pressure and attention.  James is obviously up to a nice start with a few goals, but I dont see a special talent.

Guys like Young, Mata, Matic (at this point) McTominay, Lingaard and Pereira are about as vanilla and nonthreatening as it gets.

They (and my fantasy team)  need Pogba and Martial back out there in the worst way. And they need to go out and buy at least 2 more impact attackers/midfielders.

Did people really think Fred was good at some point?

Heck of a 6 week run here...after the League Cup and away to Sheffield, it's 3 CL games and matches against four of the top eight teams in the league:

• CL
  • Leicester
  • @United
  • CL
  • Tottenham
  • @Villa
  • CL
  • City
Depth is going to be an issue by the time we get to City.  After these next two there aren't a lot of places you can rest guys.

Not to beat a dead horse here but United are absolutely terrible.  They are just about unwatchable.  After 4 goals in their opener, 4 goals in their next 4?  1 goal against FC Astana ffs.   And IF Rashford is out for awhile, not a clue where they are going to get any goals from.  

Rashford is absolutely a difference maker, but he obviously can't be starting at the ball from midfield.  He needs service.  Ole is ####### clueless and I knew this was going to happen.  Starting Mata, Matic and McTominay is offensive suicide.  I know he has some injury concerns, but dude, come on.  They have whiffed on so many attacking players the past few years it's ridiculous.  Yet they still trot out Mata.  Matic is a nice player.  I prefer McTominay.  But they should never be STARTING together.  Maybe play them if you're up 1-0, 2-0 to try to hold a lead.  But then again, that would require them scoring.  Good thing they shipped of Lukaku and replaced him with nothing.  Yeah, there's a ton of talented younger guys but they need to be worked in while surrounded by top talent, not relied upon.  

Finishing 8-10th is certainly realistic at this point.  And for a team with these resources, that's not even close to acceptable.  CEO should be fired.  Manager should be fired.  Mourinho is sitting back laughing his ### off right now.

United is in total rebuild mode.  I think it had to get worse before it could get better.  Just wish it wasn't this bad.

I feel like Arsenal may have been the big winners on the weekend.

Man United, Chelsea, Spurs all dropped points and Arsenal down a man and down a goal in second half grabbed full points.  Might be the kind of thing the team can build on.

Ole's major problem is ED WOODWARD.  Ed is so worried about upsetting and losing Pogba he wouldnt spend the money on more midfield help.  Bruno, SMS, Dybala.  Any of them would be helpful right now. They need a director of football.  

Ole's next issue is the belief in Lingard.  Need a goal and your striker gets hurt, Lingard is the last person I put on.  Also having to start Matic, Young and Mata is a disgrace.  Fred would have been better.  Gomes or Chong would have been better.  He keeps going back to players that don't perform (Lingard, Perreira, Matic, etc).

I am wondering if Rashford isnt a natural goal scorer.  He can score.  But it isnt a natural thing for him.  Some people are goal scorers.  Some people can score goals.
He had a chance to go 1v1 and he failed.  He also tries to beat everyone with speed and you just cant.  Play the one two with Mata and you are in with ease.  

All too often United is waiting for a moment of brilliance from someone instead of creating it as a team.  

They have some players to build around (AWB, Lindelof, McGuire, McTominay, Martial, James, Pogba, De Gea) but they aren't complete and don't have depth.  

Ole has dropped some of the dead weight (Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez) but Woodward didn't bring in replacements.  And Sadly let their best MF go (Herrera).  I can only hope they are tearing it down and will invest in Jan and summer to replace with better players.  The 3 that came in are a good start.  Need 5 more.

Ole's major problem is ED WOODWARD.  Ed is so worried about upsetting and losing Pogba he wouldnt spend the money on more midfield help.  Bruno, SMS, Dybala.  Any of them would be helpful right now. They need a director of football.  

Ole's next issue is the belief in Lingard.  Need a goal and your striker gets hurt, Lingard is the last person I put on.  Also having to start Matic, Young and Mata is a disgrace.  Fred would have been better.  Gomes or Chong would have been better.  He keeps going back to players that don't perform (Lingard, Perreira, Matic, etc).

I am wondering if Rashford isnt a natural goal scorer.  He can score.  But it isnt a natural thing for him.  Some people are goal scorers.  Some people can score goals.
He had a chance to go 1v1 and he failed.  He also tries to beat everyone with speed and you just cant.  Play the one two with Mata and you are in with ease.  

All too often United is waiting for a moment of brilliance from someone instead of creating it as a team.  

They have some players to build around (AWB, Lindelof, McGuire, McTominay, Martial, James, Pogba, De Gea) but they aren't complete and don't have depth.  

Ole has dropped some of the dead weight (Fellaini, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez) but Woodward didn't bring in replacements.  And Sadly let their best MF go (Herrera).  I can only hope they are tearing it down and will invest in Jan and summer to replace with better players.  The 3 that came in are a good start.  Need 5 more.
It was Ole that rejected Dybala and Bruno, not Woodward--and I commend him. He's done adding players thinking "I guess I can't play where I want but United will give me a big pay day so I guess I'll play there".  Just has not worked out. He's only adding people that grew up dreaming about playing for Manchester United. With United going further down the ranks these players will be more and more difficult to find, but they've still got a fan base of over 600 million people so it shouldn't be too difficult. I'll take Lingard all day over a big name signing that fizzles out in a couple years.

Meanwhile on Spurs Wheel-of-Misfortune . Poch talks about one day managing at RM.... :wall:

The way he, and Spurs, are going right now, he and Eriksen will be lucky if Southampton will take them next season.

Congratulations Leeds (Leeds Leeds) on your FIFA Fair Play award.  It could not have gone to a nicer group of lads.  Oh, and suck it #SpyGate

Bonzai said:
It was Ole that rejected Dybala and Bruno, not Woodward--and I commend him. He's done adding players thinking "I guess I can't play where I want but United will give me a big pay day so I guess I'll play there".  Just has not worked out. He's only adding people that grew up dreaming about playing for Manchester United. With United going further down the ranks these players will be more and more difficult to find, but they've still got a fan base of over 600 million people so it shouldn't be too difficult. I'll take Lingard all day over a big name signing that fizzles out in a couple years.
Woodward and the board decided not to pay out anymore after DJ, AWB and McGuire despite needing players and also knowing some might leave (and some needed to be sold) with the euopean windows still open.

I do agree on Dybala and I am glad they are not going for the bid name big wages guys that just agree to join United for the $$. But the report on Bruno was he didn't take care of the ball as well as they liked.  Complete BS.  Imagine him in front of Pogba and McT unlocking a D that is packing it in.  Or a creative force while Pogba is out injured or needs a rest.   

I've also seen reports saying Ole wanted them and Woodward/The Board said no.

And settling for Lingard is why this team is not going to challenge for anything anytime soon.  Ave player who's best trait is his ball chasing.  Oh but he's English..... 

Dear Spurs, Chelsea are currently leading their League 2 opponent by a score of 6-1.  I like the 1:1 goals to teenagers on the pitch ratio.

P.S. lol @ ManU giving up a late equilizer and needing PKs against a League1 team.  Also lol at Bubbles United
Greenwood and Tuanzbee were good.  AWB, James, Rojo, Mata all fine.  The rest?  meh.  

United is reactionary when the ball is played.  They don't make the runs and attack the ball, they wait for the ball to be played then try and get it.

Lingard another game showing why he isn't good enough.  Was hoping with some games Perreira would show more, but nope.  I am done with both of them.  

Good statement game for NYC heading into the playoffs
They’re clicking now and that was without 2.5 of their preferred starting 11.  I wrote this back in April, but the combo of Man City’s Euro scouts and Dome’s tactical knowledge is really entertaining.  

Sounds like the playoffs may be at Citifield.

NYCFC playing in Yankee stadium continues to be a cluster ####.

Not only are they going to have scheduling issues in the playoffs with the Yankees who are also in the playoffs, the Yankees brilliantly scheduled a college football game to be played in Yankee stadium which might cause NYCFC to move their home playoff game.

Not only are they going to have scheduling issues in the playoffs with the Yankees who are also in the playoffs, the Yankees brilliantly scheduled a college football game to be played in Yankee stadium which might cause NYCFC to move their home playoff game.
@Sammy3469 any news on stadium locations? Willets point? Anywhere but there?

Bad enough having to play on that field in that stadium, but having to get bounced for college football? Wtf.

El Floppo said:
@Sammy3469 any news on stadium locations? Willets point? Anywhere but there?

Bad enough having to play on that field in that stadium, but having to get bounced for college football? Wtf.
Surely you jest. Nothing really besides they’re going to have play some (maybe all) their playoff matches at Citifield (which is actually a good stadium to watch a game in).

For the nerds out there... 538's predictive soccer area is fantastic.  You can see W/D/L odds for each match ahead of time and then see detailed stat nerd taeks afterwards in the "completed matches" area.

I like the latter to get a feel for how what I watched lines up with reality.

I use an average of Shot Based xG (expected goals) and non-Shot Based xG as a good measure of what "should" have happened.

After yesterday's match I felt like Liverpool were a goal better than Sheffield U, even if the goal itself was wonky.  And using the idea above it worked out to Liverpool 2.1 - 1.3 Sheffield United.  So, just about a goal better.  It's a nice reality check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, they announces yesterday didn't mention it, but Wijnaldum's shot was deflected down by the defender trying to block it -- almost like a hockey player tipping the puck off the ice after someone's shot it from the point.  If you watch again you can see the GK hitch as the trajectory changes slightly and the ball bounces.  Pretty sure that bobble is what did him in -- messed up his timing just a tiny bit.

Oh, and Divok Origi may make me eat my words yet again.  Partly it was just having four attacking players, with Firmino dropping into more of a true 10 role, but he was fantastic once he came on. 

Henderson, Wijanldum and Fab never make runs beyond the forwards and don't scare anyone when they do.  Having someone(s) in the midfield that has to be accounted by the defense for is what separates City from Liverpool in attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't post it because it is creepy/gross, you can find it easy enough if you want.

Gio Dos Santos suffered one of the worst looking, non broken bone injuries, last night I have ever seen in a soccer game.

Ball bounces between players, Gio goes in to get ball,  defender spikes him over ball and hits his thigh.

Camera shows the wound which looks worse than a magnum 44 bullet hole at close range.  Just tore an opening in his thigh that was horrendous.  Players on both teams had to hold Gio in place while the trainers came on. 

it was a long time coming.  Looks like they finally got across the finish line

==========

Major League Soccer is set to add a fourth team to the state of California, and an announcement could come soon. Just weeks after awarding a franchise to the city of St. Louis, MLS is expected to do the same for the city of Sacramento, sources tell CBS Sports.

A source said that an announcement was initially planned for this week but had to be pushed back. Sacramento will become the 29th franchise as commissioner Don Garber pushes for his goal of expanding the league to 30 teams, which was announced back in April. 

"It's 100 percent done. They would begin play in 2022," a source told CBS Sports. 
Sounds like a perfect time to talk about possible having a relegation in MLS like every other country but I doubt MLS owners will go for it. Take away the super draft too. 

I won't post it because it is creepy/gross, you can find it easy enough if you want.

Gio Dos Santos suffered one of the worst looking, non broken bone injuries, last night I have ever seen in a soccer game.

Ball bounces between players, Gio goes in to get ball,  defender spikes him over ball and hits his thigh.

Camera shows the wound which looks worse than a magnum 44 bullet hole at close range.  Just tore an opening in his thigh that was horrendous.  Players on both teams had to hold Gio in place while the trainers came on. 
Ugh..and no way I'm looking at that.

By all accounts he was playing well back in Mex...always enjoyed his game, even if it was always for the wrong team. Sucks for him...hope he can come back.

Went to the Newcastle / Brighton game today. Match was meh, but I did like the stadium and the fans are passionate. Crowd was light as 10k regulars are staying away in protest that they sacked Rafa. He seems to be well liked here, which I can't really understand...
There was no reason to ask him other then CA$hley not wanting to open his purse strings to keep him. He did very well reorganizing the academy and was well liked by players. CA$hley didn't want to open the purse to not only keep him on as manager but get him some better talent. Rafa wasn't asking for Messi/Ronaldo MBappe types. He wanted competent talent that could actually start. Rafa also wanted more control over transfer and player decision then NewCastle wanted to give him. CA$hley loves the control of everything and Rafa wasn't a Yes Man to him. The supporters loved Rafa for the very reasons he was anti Mike Ashley and want him to sell the club but he refuses too.  

No idea why they ever decided to play there. It's so small and most MLS players complain about playing there 

Can someone tell me why Bloody Lampard refuses to play Pulusic? This was what I was afraid of when the transfer was rumored and then happened. For his development and playing time he was better off staying at Dortmund and refusing the transfer. 

Played pickup soccer this morning for the first time in a decade or so with some of the other SG members. Tyson Wahl also played with us for a bit. May need a wheelchair this week.

Can someone tell me why Bloody Lampard refuses to play Pulusic? This was what I was afraid of when the transfer was rumored and then happened. For his development and playing time he was better off staying at Dortmund and refusing the transfer. 
He has played himself into the bench- can't really blame lampard, who gave him the early opportunities and has declared him "not ready". 

It remains to be seen about his development. He was already in and out of the 11 at Dortmund and was never going to play ahead of Sancho. With William and Pedro in their 30s, there's room for him to grow at Chelsea and find long term success as they get phased out. But barring some injuries or some rapid assimilation, we might have to look at this year as a big growth curve leading to better things in the future for him.

I think he was in a tough spot - with no great solutions.  He was losing his spot at Dortmund, and if he went to a "lesser" team, people would be asking different questions.  The top teams are very competitive.  I think he is a little unlucky with Lampard pushing for more English youth, but remember, Sarri wasn't convinced either, when the deal was first announced.

I don't think he gets much more playing time had he gone to Spurs or Arsenal.  I think he would be facing stiff competition at Man United, and he is not cracking the line-up at Liverpool or Man City.  If he went anywhere else in Germany, it would look like a step down.  And, I suppose its possible, he really wasn't looking to go to Italy or France.  

I think he was in a tough spot - with no great solutions.  He was losing his spot at Dortmund, and if he went to a "lesser" team, people would be asking different questions.  The top teams are very competitive.  I think he is a little unlucky with Lampard pushing for more English youth, but remember, Sarri wasn't convinced either, when the deal was first announced.

I don't think he gets much more playing time had he gone to Spurs or Arsenal.  I think he would be facing stiff competition at Man United, and he is not cracking the line-up at Liverpool or Man City.  If he went anywhere else in Germany, it would look like a step down.  And, I suppose its possible, he really wasn't looking to go to Italy or France.  
Also, I feel like people underestimate how long it takes players to adapt to a new league with different styles.  It will take him time, but the opportunities will come.

About a year ago, there were strong reports that Bayern wanted him and that Klopp wanted to bring him to Liverpool, in addition to Chelsea's interest.  Maybe those reports were wrong, or maybe those clubs backed off when Chelsea took the bidding way above what most expected.  If he had any say in it, which seems likely, Chelsea is probably the best spot for him career-wise. 

Amazing stats

====

After six rounds in Serie A, #ACMilan rank

1st in no. of red cards (3)

2nd in no. of yellow cards (18)

3rd in players dispossessed (64)

4th in percentage of shots from outside box (51%)

Last in goals from open play (2)

Last in shots on target (16)

Amazing stats

====

After six rounds in Serie A, #ACMilan rank

1st in no. of red cards (3)

2nd in no. of yellow cards (18)

3rd in players dispossessed (64)

4th in percentage of shots from outside box (51%)

Last in goals from open play (2)

Last in shots on target (16)
Sounds right.

I wonder how Inter's doing  :whistle:

My Italian brothers continue to sadden me.  look at this idiotic quote from the president of the Lazio supporters group.

=========

"It's not racism.  We also boo players with normal skin colors"

CletiusMaximus said:
About a year ago, there were strong reports that Bayern wanted him and that Klopp wanted to bring him to Liverpool, in addition to Chelsea's interest.  Maybe those reports were wrong, or maybe those clubs backed off when Chelsea took the bidding way above what most expected.  If he had any say in it, which seems likely, Chelsea is probably the best spot for him career-wise. 
That was about 2-3 years ago. Journo's kept bringing it up again speculating during the last 2 or so windows. I believe at the time both Liverpool and Dortmund was too far apart in their evaluation, and the player and Liverpool were too far apart in the role and money.

My Italian brothers continue to sadden me.  look at this idiotic quote from the president of the Lazio supporters group.

=========

"It's not racism.  We also boo players with normal skin colors"
On par with the Inter curva Nord supporter group response.

One of the more overtly racist places I've lived...still love the country and people, but this part is new to them. 

Users who are viewing this thread