What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

I've actually taken to doing some "2 a days" depending on what my wife's schedule is - I'll either do some lifting/strength stuff at lunch and then go run after dinner from the Y while she rides the bike there or go run at lunch and then lift with her at the Y after dinner. The lift then run days leads to the "spicy food running plan" that I mentioned before. 

Man, awesome run for me this afternoon.  Never been this "excited" for a slow run, but here we are.

We had some crazy thunderstorms early this morning and temps cooled off drastically.  I would have loved to get out this morning as I'm dropping one of my kids off and I'm seeing a temp of 71 and a dew point of 63.  What?!?  Perfect running weather but I couldn't get out.  This afternoon opened up and my wife and I were able to get out to the park.  While it was 80 degrees at the start and a dew point of 66, it was cloudy without any significant sun and a lovely breeze.  It felt amazing out there.  Plus, the park route, with the exception of a couple of spots, is flat or has some nice long downhills. 

Got 5.5 miles in at a 10:47 pace and it felt so comfortable.  Rarely set off my HR alarm.  Average HR of 136 for the whole run with the first couple miles at 131 and 134.  Consistent pacing, felt great, and even had a decent cadence of 170 for that speed.  Same run as yesterday and a difference of ~ 1 min/mile.  Just goes to show how much weather can affect a run.

Heat training (and MAF training) showing its benefits. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, awesome run for me this afternoon.  Never been this "excited" for a slow run, but here we are.

We had some crazy thunderstorms early this morning and temps cooled off drastically.  I would have loved to get out this morning as I'm dropping one of my kids off and I'm seeing a temp of 71 and a dew point of 63.  What?!?  Perfect running weather but I couldn't get out.  This afternoon opened up and my wife and I were able to get out to the park.  While it was 80 degrees at the start and a dew point of 66, it was cloudy without any significant sun and a lovely breeze.  It felt amazing out there.  Plus, the park route, with the exception of a couple of spots, is flat or has some nice long downhills. 

Got 5.5 miles in at a 10:47 pace and it felt so comfortable.  Rarely set off my HR alarm.  Average HR of 136 for the whole run with the first couple miles at 131 and 134.  Consistent pacing, felt great, and even had a decent cadence of 170 for that speed.  Same run as yesterday and a difference of ~ 1 min/mile.  Just goes to show how much weather can affect a run.

Heat training (and MAF training) showing its benefits. 
Yeah, we are getting that here too. Beautiful day - was like running in air conditioning. Gonna be that way for the next few days.

Amazing what low humidity will do to a guy. I think I ran with a boner.

Popped into a local running shoe store to see if they had any high mileage max cushion shoes that I’ve looked at online.... they didn’t but they had an R8 Recovery Roll. So I tried it.  And now I have one.  

Thanks for the suggestion @SFBayDuck

Stirred up some bad stuff in my right leg (rear outside knee and lower hammy, maybe IT). Speed session last week was first blip and then had massage and did a lower body workout on Monday.  Easy run last night after feeling good fired it up more than it should have. Off day today and probably take tomorrow too to see if I can get things calmed down. I’ll be doing clamshells, band walks and chugging tart cherry juice in the meantime. 

So I found my bike this week.  Got sick of the 60+ hour work weeks and basically said F it - going riding.  Got in 40 miles or so and didn't die, so not horrible for not riding for at least 4 months (and not much before that, either).

Lost 6 pounds on the week.  Lots more to go there.

I've always said that I'm a "work to live" rather than "live to work" kind of guy. Sometimes the hours might belie that axiom but I try to minimize those times.
On the other side of the coin, I've been here more than 4 hours and done nothing productive for the last 3 hours and 20some minutes.

Had a breakthrough run of sorts last night - or at least a breakthrough for me and other mere mortals.

Had planned to head over to my favorite running trail and do 1 or 2 slow loops and then get back home to help with the kids.  Wife calls and asks me to pickup dinner and then I need to take my younger son over to his friends house to spend the night (I'm friends with that Dad).  No problem, pickup dinner on the way home, eat and then put my running stuff on - kids house is basically on the way so working out as planned so far.  I get to their house and my buddy insists on showing me some clips on Netflix from the Seinfeld Coffee with Comedians in Cars (or whatever it's called).  I protest that I have to get to my run but he insists.  No big deal, should just be a few minutes and then I'm off.  20 minutes later he's opening me a beer (and then 2 more) again while I'm "protesting".  Anyway, I stick around and shoot the #### and play bsketball with the boy.  Get home about 9 and plan to catch the end of the Royals game (hi > @ChiefD).  As I pull in the driveway - I'm like, f this, I need to HTFU (just a little at least) and go run.  So I head out in the dark through the neighborhood to do a 5k. 

Now IMO, my neighborhood is hilly.  You flatlanders may think I live in the Alps and Duck would think I live in Kansas but it's pretty hilly for me.  But, with it being dark I somewhat stupidly decide it's a good idea to runner faster so I'm not out as long (still a little unsure my logic on this).  I decide to not turn on my heart rate monitor and just run.  I'm working hard for me and get to the first big hill - I'm in the low 9 minute mile pace at that point - knowing I'm not going to keep that up - I decide at that point that I'm going to be under 10 minute miles or puke trying.  I get to the 1 mile mark in 9:37.  I'm thinking that's about as slow as I could be to have a chance during the first mile.  The next mile is mostly flat with one big hill so I decide to try and stay around 9:30 pace for everything but the hill and just do my best to get up it as quick as I can.  Hit 2 mile mark and I'm at 9:47 pace.  Damn - I was think I needed to be a little lower to have a chance.  My HR I'm sure was in the 170s at this point and I'm laboring but able to maintain pace on the flat and slight inclines.  I know this last 1.1 miles has a long slight incline and then the steepest section of the route.  I know I have to be 20-30 seconds under before I get to that hill.  And I am but I'm really laboring to get to that point.  That .1 mile up that incline was the hardest I've worked running in many years.  Problem is the end of that climb still let me .3 mile to go but thankfully almost perfectly flat.  I get up the hill and dead on 9:57 pace - in my head I'm thinking I've got this and I'll be able to bring that down 1 or 2 seconds.  Instead I just barely hung on and finished at that same 9:57 pace - 30:51 with 346 ft of elevation.

I was :pickle: when I was done, mainly because I was done but also, that's the first time in probably 13 years that I've run a 5k in under 10 minute mile pace.  Also, in my mind, 115 ft. elevation per mile is somewhat significant - don't know if there's any kind of pace calculator that estimate pace without elevation but I'm thinking I could maybe do a 9:30 pace on a flat track (maybe faster?).  Anyway, it's nothing compared to most of you guys but I was really happy when I got home - no boner like Chief but happy nonetheless.

I was :pickle: when I was done, mainly because I was done but also, that's the first time in probably 13 years that I've run a 5k in under 10 minute mile pace.  Also, in my mind, 115 ft. elevation per mile is somewhat significant - don't know if there's any kind of pace calculator that estimate pace without elevation but I'm thinking I could maybe do a 9:30 pace on a flat track (maybe faster?).  Anyway, it's nothing compared to most of you guys but I was really happy when I got home - no boner like Chief but happy nonetheless
Congrats, you have been getting serious the last 2 months with the running.  Do you have any races planned?  I bet that you could run even faster in an actual race and without the beer. 

Also, in my mind, 115 ft. elevation per mile is somewhat significant - don't know if there's any kind of pace calculator that estimate pace without elevation but I'm thinking I could maybe do a 9:30 pace on a flat track (maybe faster?).  Anyway, it's nothing compared to most of you guys but I was really happy when I got home - no boner like Chief but happy nonetheless.
If you are on strava, they have a gap adjusted pace that accounts for elevation. 

Congrats, you have been getting serious the last 2 months with the running.  Do you have any races planned?  I bet that you could run even faster in an actual race and without the beer. 
Thanks - yes, I've run a lot (again, for me) the last few months.  Really enjoying it and definitely thinking about a race - but I'm leaning towards a sprint tri.  I had been hesitant to commit to anything because of my leg but I think the last few months have shown it's good enough to handle a race.  I was talking with a buddy of mine about doing the last tri of a local sprint series in September so I need to make a decision.

Good point on the beer - didn't even factor that in when thinking about my run.  Obviously 3 beers 1.5 hours before a run is not ideal so it probably did make a difference, not sure how much.

Is that part of the pay subscription or maybe the web version?  I don't think I know how to access it.
It's on the free version. I usually see it when logged in at my computer. Never checked on the phone. Should be when you click on your run and it shows your mile splits. the GAP is right next to those.

Is that part of the pay subscription or maybe the web version?  I don't think I know how to access it.
Your GAP (grade adjusted pace) for the run was 9:27.  Splits were 9:09/9:40/9:32/9:47 (last 1/10th).  That's really significant elevation for 3 miles. 

Great work and love reading that.

As for not having the boner like @ChiefD, there are meds for that.

I think we should employ the ChiefD Boner rating system for runs.

Huge PRs should register as a 10/10 on the ChiefBonerRatingScale.  Solid runs in the 6-8 range.  Difficult runs in the 2-3 range.  You get the picture.

My run yesterday morning was definitely a 6/10 on the ChiefBonerRatingScale, for example.

I think we should employ the ChiefD Boner rating system for runs.

Huge PRs should register as a 10/10 on the ChiefBonerRatingScale.  Solid runs in the 6-8 range.  Difficult runs in the 2-3 range.  You get the picture.

My run yesterday morning was definitely a 6/10 on the ChiefBonerRatingScale, for example.
Something less numeric, and more descriptive would probably be better for a ChiefBonerRatingScale.

Like a PR is "Megan Fox in stockings/garter with a craft beer in a frosted mug".

An aborted ER with a mid-run poop would be "Ann Coulter in a radiation suit with prune juice in a used dixie cup".

And then a host of others in-between.

Last edited by a moderator:
If overeating is an issue, check out intermittent fasting. On top of being Vegan, I also only eat one huge meal a day. Before I started this journey, I was 235 pounds. Overeating was my biggest issue. 3 years ago, I started doing IF to combat that. The best thing about it was the lifestyle change. Good luck on whatever road you decide to take. 
I did IF before tri.  It was awesome for me.  However, once I started tri I couldnt keep my energy levels up with it.  I know calroies-in/calories-out but with how much food I did need to consume it didnt work.

Had a breakthrough run of sorts last night - or at least a breakthrough for me and other mere mortals.

Had planned to head over to my favorite running trail and do 1 or 2 slow loops and then get back home to help with the kids.  Wife calls and asks me to pickup dinner and then I need to take my younger son over to his friends house to spend the night (I'm friends with that Dad).  No problem, pickup dinner on the way home, eat and then put my running stuff on - kids house is basically on the way so working out as planned so far.  I get to their house and my buddy insists on showing me some clips on Netflix from the Seinfeld Coffee with Comedians in Cars (or whatever it's called).  I protest that I have to get to my run but he insists.  No big deal, should just be a few minutes and then I'm off.  20 minutes later he's opening me a beer (and then 2 more) again while I'm "protesting".  Anyway, I stick around and shoot the #### and play bsketball with the boy.  Get home about 9 and plan to catch the end of the Royals game (hi > @ChiefD).  As I pull in the driveway - I'm like, f this, I need to HTFU (just a little at least) and go run.  So I head out in the dark through the neighborhood to do a 5k. 

Now IMO, my neighborhood is hilly.  You flatlanders may think I live in the Alps and Duck would think I live in Kansas but it's pretty hilly for me.  But, with it being dark I somewhat stupidly decide it's a good idea to runner faster so I'm not out as long (still a little unsure my logic on this).  I decide to not turn on my heart rate monitor and just run.  I'm working hard for me and get to the first big hill - I'm in the low 9 minute mile pace at that point - knowing I'm not going to keep that up - I decide at that point that I'm going to be under 10 minute miles or puke trying.  I get to the 1 mile mark in 9:37.  I'm thinking that's about as slow as I could be to have a chance during the first mile.  The next mile is mostly flat with one big hill so I decide to try and stay around 9:30 pace for everything but the hill and just do my best to get up it as quick as I can.  Hit 2 mile mark and I'm at 9:47 pace.  Damn - I was think I needed to be a little lower to have a chance.  My HR I'm sure was in the 170s at this point and I'm laboring but able to maintain pace on the flat and slight inclines.  I know this last 1.1 miles has a long slight incline and then the steepest section of the route.  I know I have to be 20-30 seconds under before I get to that hill.  And I am but I'm really laboring to get to that point.  That .1 mile up that incline was the hardest I've worked running in many years.  Problem is the end of that climb still let me .3 mile to go but thankfully almost perfectly flat.  I get up the hill and dead on 9:57 pace - in my head I'm thinking I've got this and I'll be able to bring that down 1 or 2 seconds.  Instead I just barely hung on and finished at that same 9:57 pace - 30:51 with 346 ft of elevation.

I was :pickle: when I was done, mainly because I was done but also, that's the first time in probably 13 years that I've run a 5k in under 10 minute mile pace.  Also, in my mind, 115 ft. elevation per mile is somewhat significant - don't know if there's any kind of pace calculator that estimate pace without elevation but I'm thinking I could maybe do a 9:30 pace on a flat track (maybe faster?).  Anyway, it's nothing compared to most of you guys but I was really happy when I got home - no boner like Chief but happy nonetheless.
tl;dr - beer makes you run faster.

I have an exciting biking day coming up

One of my biking buddies, he is more of a tour-er (read: bikes slow), have decided to take a biking tour of Martha's Vineyard.  He is a pilot and we will load up our bikes on his plane and fly over in the morning.  Take the 50ish mile tour at a meandering pace while taking in the sites.  Once done we will stop for food and beverages and enjoy the afternoon.  Ive never been to the vineyard so this will be a fun experience for me.

It's on the free version. I usually see it when logged in at my computer. Never checked on the phone. Should be when you click on your run and it shows your mile splits. the GAP is right next to those.
I see it on web version - awesome, thanks!

Your GAP (grade adjusted pace) for the run was 9:27.  Splits were 9:09/9:40/9:32/9:47 (last 1/10th).  That's really significant elevation for 3 miles. 
cool - that jives my perceived effort.

Assuming you started and ended at the same place that's 4.5% up and then down.  It's significant.
Actually I intentionally ran out 2 miles and then back the 1.1 and stopped for the 5k distance.  In that last .5 mile is a big ### hill that just kills me every time.  Best I've managed is a jog up it.  :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread