What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

Can not wait for him to discuss the Pats/Eagles game. I know as an Eagles fan they're not built for a run of any kind this year, but I can imagine the smoke coming out of his ears during this game based upon how he reacted to the OT loss @ Denver in Week 12. Salty BS is funny BS, and I have to think Cousin Sal will egg him on too as a Cowboys fan when they bring up either team for Week 14.

Can not wait for him to discuss the Pats/Eagles game. I know as an Eagles fan they're not built for a run of any kind this year, but I can imagine the smoke coming out of his ears during this game based upon how he reacted to the OT loss @ Denver in Week 12. Salty BS is funny BS, and I have to think Cousin Sal will egg him on too as a Cowboys fan when they bring up either team for Week 14.
Seems kind of childish imo.

simmons rant last week about not getting calls was a joke, they've been getting almost every call for the past 10 years, good thing Sal was not buying it.. Sal is what makes it a fun listen.

Cousin Sal: "it's better that 2 kids get presents than none, right?"

On selling a third kid on the black market because he got buried this week. I can relate.

:lmao: :lmao:

"I looked deep into his eyes, and wondered how much could I get for you on the black market" :lmao:

And the kid looked back at you and said "daddy, what the #### were you doing this weekend"

Sal alluded to losing "way more" than 20k this past weekend. I know Simmons makes millions but I didn't realize Sal had that level of coin.

Been with kimmel since the man show. Jimmy kimmel live for 12 years now.

Even at 600k he's made 7.2 milliom.

And I'm sure his cousin hooks him up

I was more surprised to hear Simmons bought a $7.5 million beach house. Even making multi millions, that's some serious scratch on a second home.

I loved everything about the Al Michaels interview except for Bill's rant about Collinsworth. There's nothing wrong with being a Brady homer, but to confront Al Michaels with an irrational rant about Chris Collinsworth (just because Collinsworth had the nerve to question Saint Tom) is kind of embarrassing. Michaels handled it with grace but Simmons came off looking like a total jackhole.

The self-involvement of Simmons is fascinating. I really enjoy his podcasts for the most part, but it feels like he's constantly referring back to his teams at the drop of a hat. "Reminds me of of the 94 Pats", "They are the 86 Red Sox of field hockey", etc. During the Haralabob interview he asked Bob who the best owners in the NBA are. After giving Bob 3 seconds to hmmm and haww and think, Bill blurts out "The Celtics have a great structure!" Oh really Bill? I'm shocked you think so. It's almost like he asked the question just to talk about his team again.

He's one of those guys that, while you are talking, he's thinking of how he's going to bring the conversation back to him and his interests. I remember a couple of weeks ago when Sal was on for the SB podcast Sal said to play "No extra points missed" prop because no kickers ever miss extra points. He was obviously poking fun at Gostkowski missing in the AFC championship. He said it a couple of times. But the only person who didn't get it was Simmons because he was too busy thinking of more ways to defend New England or attack Manning or whatever.

Mostly this is just pointless birching because I love the podcast and listen to most of them. Hmmm...I also love Kornheiser's podcast. Maybe I'm just into self-involved talkers. Takes one to know one? :)

I loved everything about the Al Michaels interview except for Bill's rant about Collinsworth. There's nothing wrong with being a Brady homer, but to confront Al Michaels with an irrational rant about Chris Collinsworth (just because Collinsworth had the nerve to question Saint Tom) is kind of embarrassing. Michaels handled it with grace but Simmons came off looking like a total jackhole.
Michaels with the call back to that when Simmons asked him for his best Collinsworth impression was hilarious.

Does the average Boston fan feel as persecuted as whiny Bill makes them out to be? He has lived in LA for nearly 15 years so I would guess hes maybe a little out of touch with the average Boston fan? Im a Midwest guy so I have no idea how the average guy in the Boston area feels other than what LA Bill tells me.

This. I also laughed at Simmons' indignation at people calling him difficult to deal with - I'm a long time fan but it doesn't surprise me at all that someone would think he's a PIA to work with.

But none of that overshadows what a great interview Michaels was.

I take it with a grain as I think he schticks it up a little. Also he used to LOVE Collingsworth so it has taken an odd turn.

I think he's letting out all his frustrations NOW from when he had to toe the line at ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd certainly be pissed on some level if I were a Pats fan-- your QB gets raked over the coals over air pressure in a football yet his biggest rival has HGH shipped directly to his house and you don't hear a peep about it after a week?

The self-involvement of Simmons is fascinating. I really enjoy his podcasts for the most part, but it feels like he's constantly referring back to his teams at the drop of a hat. "Reminds me of of the 94 Pats", "They are the 86 Red Sox of field hockey", etc. During the Haralabob interview he asked Bob who the best owners in the NBA are. After giving Bob 3 seconds to hmmm and haww and think, Bill blurts out "The Celtics have a great structure!" Oh really Bill? I'm shocked you think so. It's almost like he asked the question just to talk about his team again.

He's one of those guys that, while you are talking, he's thinking of how he's going to bring the conversation back to him and his interests. I remember a couple of weeks ago when Sal was on for the SB podcast Sal said to play "No extra points missed" prop because no kickers ever miss extra points. He was obviously poking fun at Gostkowski missing in the AFC championship. He said it a couple of times. But the only person who didn't get it was Simmons because he was too busy thinking of more ways to defend New England or attack Manning or whatever.

Mostly this is just pointless birching because I love the podcast and listen to most of them. Hmmm...I also love Kornheiser's podcast. Maybe I'm just into self-involved talkers. Takes one to know one? :)
Simmons is an only child. That explains a lot.

Did he manage to shoehorn his deflate-gate rant into the Michael's interview like he does in every other interview?

I usually don't mind the homerism too much, but it did tick me off that he spent most of the Tom Thibodeau interview doing a Chris Farley-esque "Remember that time in Boston when we won the championship, that was awesome". No time spent on Thib's head coaching in Chicago.

thecatch said:
Joe Summer said:
This. I also laughed at Simmons' indignation at people calling him difficult to deal with - I'm a long time fan but it doesn't surprise me at all that someone would think he's a PIA to work with.

But none of that overshadows what a great interview Michaels was.
His point regarding the way employees tend to be portrayed once ESPN is done with them was spot on. Simmons is not objective in this regard but that doesn't mean his statement was inaccurate. ESPN appears to smear people out the door for whatever reason.

The second half of the cousin Sal podcast with Rappaport was awesome, and I despise the NBA. He's a funny *******, I might have to check out his podcast.

Joe T said:
Did he manage to shoehorn his deflate-gate rant into the Michael's interview like he does in every other interview?
Yep, and Michaels didn't punch back hard, but punched back. This was after BS got done dumping on Collinsworth. Michaels handled it extremely well, almost gracefully to the point where I was impressed with Al.

facook said:
He started as a guy writing from a fans perspective so he has always brought in his view of his teams and used that as much of the basis for his arguments or discussions. I am not a fan of any of the Boston teams but I have always enjoyed the way he talks/views/discusses like most fans and their teams.

I can see where people don't like the his methods but I always go at it from the perspective of entertainment and take it as that. Its amusing and as long as you don't take it serious and more as listening in to some friends talking crap with each other it serves the purpose.

I think everyone here can agree they wish they were able to take the track Simmons did and make the kind of money he has by basically talking about your favorite teams/pop culture/etc with your friends. It's kind of incredible he has made such a living doing that. I give him all the credit in the world for making it work.

He started as a guy writing from a fans perspective so he has always brought in his view of his teams and used that as much of the basis for his arguments or discussions.
Sure. But most sports fans are childish cretins. Flip on local sports talk radio and try to get through three calls. If you're going to write about/talk about/analyze sports for a living, I think it makes way more sense if you're not homering constantly, or if you can set it aside and speak objectively. Like Lowe!

facook said:
He started as a guy writing from a fans perspective so he has always brought in his view of his teams and used that as much of the basis for his arguments or discussions. I am not a fan of any of the Boston teams but I have always enjoyed the way he talks/views/discusses like most fans and their teams.

I can see where people don't like the his methods but I always go at it from the perspective of entertainment and take it as that. Its amusing and as long as you don't take it serious and more as listening in to some friends talking crap with each other it serves the purpose.

I think everyone here can agree they wish they were able to take the track Simmons did and make the kind of money he has by basically talking about your favorite teams/pop culture/etc with your friends. It's kind of incredible he has made such a living doing that. I give him all the credit in the world for making it work.
This sums up how I view him.

I understand why his Boston outlook rubs people the wrong way and why he's mocked and why he makes people roll their eyes. Clearly he knows how to get clicks. He doesn't seem to mind that he's polarizing because he hasn't changed in over two decades.

facook said:

Absolutely agree and would love to be in his shoes. Just gets old having everything brought back to four teams ALL the time. If he at least tried to be objective once in a while it would go a long way.

facook said:

yes exactly. it's like those big red machine teams from the 70s. it all started with bench, then you had concepcion and perez doing their thing, meanwhile rose is hustling all over the place. man those teams were fun to watch. hey isn't this great?

Ladsud said:
Does the average Boston fan feel as persecuted as whiny Bill makes them out to be? He has lived in LA for nearly 15 years so I would guess hes maybe a little out of touch with the average Boston fan? Im a Midwest guy so I have no idea how the average guy in the Boston area feels other than what LA Bill tells me.
People from Boston are just generally terrible.

Klosterman was on a few weeks ago and said that he always thought that the whole mass-hole idea and supposed hypersensitive Boston archetype was a played up myth and their fans were no different Than anywhere else, but then he did the gq story on Brady and a bunch of Bostonians freaked out and he realized that they were much crazier.

Really like Gladwell and Klosterman :shrug:
I used to like gladwell on the podcasts even though I found his books a little undewhelming, but his last podcast appearance, he really had very little to say and now I wonder if he was tricking me all along with previous appearances.

Klosterman still rules to fill my contrarian, hypertheoretical, alternative, borderline pseudo-intellectual cravings. Especially since Bret Easton Ellis barely puts out new episodes anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread