What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orleans Opoku-Darkwa is an American football running back who is currently a free agent (4 Viewers)

Rainey and Perkins may factor in as well and hard to say when Jennings comes back.  Interesting though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennings has a broken hand and Vereen is done for season. If this isnt the definition of a must add, what is?

I have the number one waiver and I don't think I'm going to burn it on darkwa. Anyone want to convince me?

Rashad Jennings (thumb) isn't expected to play Monday versus the Vikings, which could place Darkwa into a more featured role with Shane Vereen (triceps) also on injured reserve, NJ.com reports.

Spin: 
Jennings emerged from Week 2 with a left thumb injury that has already forced one DNP. Another domino in Darkwa's path to increased touches fell this past Sunday in the form of Vereen, who suffered a triceps injury and was placed on injured reserve. Splitting the carries almost 50-50 in Week 3 -- Darkwa received 10 to Vereen's 11 -- the former could handle most of those if Jennings is sidelined, as fellow reserve Bobby Rainey is more adept as a pass-catcher. Darkwa could also face competition from Paul Perkins, but the rookie has yet to receive his first NFL touch. Nevertheless, the situation could receive clarity after the Giants' final practice of the week Saturday.

http://www.rotowire.com/users/ad_jump.asp?id=8
Thu, Sep 29

Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports Orleans Darkwa is "splitting first-team reps" with Paul Perkins.

Darkwa was not tendered as a restricted free agent -- the Giants re-signed him to a one-year deal in March -- but the coaching staff has always seemed to have an affinity for the former UDFA. Darkwa also got first-team run during minicamp, so this does not look to be a fluke. It will be interesting to see how he is used in the preseason opener Friday night. If Darkwa really is making a play for carries, that is bad news for Paul Perkins' fantasy value.
Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/orleans-darkwa-emerging-valuable-running-option-giants-article-1.3381793

Guy deserves a shot. Perkins is trash and Vereen is strictly a recieving RB. He has the physical skill set to be a decent RB and if Beckham is going to be gimpy another 4-6 weeks NYG needs to try something.

Guy deserves a shot. Perkins is trash and Vereen is strictly a recieving RB. He has the physical skill set to be a decent RB and if Beckham is going to be gimpy another 4-6 weeks NYG needs to try something.
Seems like everyone except for McAdoo is saying this.

But who are we to question the consistency of Perkins' 1.9 YPC performance and his inability to create any yardage whatsoever on his own?

Seriously though, maybe McAdoo doesn't think that Darkwa can be the bellcow either. Maybe Gallman gets a chance? :shrug:

ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan thinks "this might actually be the week" New York features Orleans Darkwa instead of Paul Perkins at running back.

The Giants are considering major changes on offense after their 0-2 start. Coach Ben McAdoo is considering giving up play-calling duties, there may be an offensive line shakeup, and Perkins could get benched. Perkins has managed a pitiful 26 yards on 14 carries (1.86 YPC) through two games, while Darkwa has 31 yards on six carries (5.2 YPC). Darkwa clearly needs more reps.

Related: Paul Perkins

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 20 - 9:18 AM

I've always liked what I've seen of Darkwa. If you're the Giants it can't hurt to give him a chance to fail. Perkins is clearly not NFL material.

Added him in deep dynasty on this news.

Weebs210 said:
This is who I'm interested in. We know Perkins and Darkwa are not the answer.
Got any info on this guy that shows he could/should be their bell cow?

I think all we have on Gallman right now is that he's not Perkins or Darkwa. I would agree that Perkins isn't the answer, but I don't think we know whether Darkwa is. He's performed well in limited opportunities, but could be for valid reasons - we don't watch these guys in practice.

Next week will be interesting, particularly if Gallman is activated.

Unfortunately there hasn't been much on the subject besides the beat writer who is speculating Darkwa will be featured. All I know is he is not Perkins or Darkwa so he has that going for him. At the moment I'm going to take shots on other lotto tickets like Collins. Giants are just a dumpster fire right now.

When I watch Paul Perkins, I'm struck not only by his inability to break arm tackles...but the fact that he can be stonewalled by them.  No falling forward for the extra 1-3 yards.  If I'm a defense playing the Giants, not only do I know I can generate pressure with my front 4, I can likely close run gap lanes via a single DE/DT's arm.

Darkwa at least has some physical component a defense has to deal with. 

25 years old.  Entering prime.  Their goal line back.  Best in between tackler runner they have.  That's all the Giants need in order to take the pressure off the passing game.

25 years old.  Entering prime.  Their goal line back.  Best in between tackler runner they have.  That's all the Giants need in order to take the pressure off the passing game.
They need a helluva lot more than that. Their O-line is absolutely atrocious. One of the worst I've seen in at least 5 years, if not a decade. Their LT Flowers is probably the worst starting lineman I've EVER seen. Anyone running behind that line is a punching bag waiting to be cut down. A stationary target. 

Maybe Gallman is better than Darkwa (anyone is better than Perkins), but behind that O-line he better be praying to whatever God he ascribes to that he isn't cut down in his prime. 

They need a helluva lot more than that. Their O-line is absolutely atrocious. One of the worst I've seen in at least 5 years, if not a decade. Their LT Flowers is probably the worst starting lineman I've EVER seen. Anyone running behind that line is a punching bag waiting to be cut down. A stationary target. 

Maybe Gallman is better than Darkwa (anyone is better than Perkins), but behind that O-line he better be praying to whatever God he ascribes to that he isn't cut down in his prime. 
Their O-line is atrocious when they ask Eli to drop back and throw.  But they are decent at running the ball with Darkwa in there.  Two different concepts there.  Two different roles.  Pushing up field for run plays vs dropping back for down field strikes.  It's why I'm calling it now.  Expect to see a more run oriented offense with slants and play action down field strikes.

The reason Darkwa hasn't gotten a shot is his inconsistent ability to pass block. He misreads where to go and when he does Eli usually pays for it.

What is Orleans Darkwa?

according to Wikpedia darkwa is the grainlike seeds of the quinoa, used as food and in the production of alcoholic drinks

Orleans Darkwa I would assume is a "cajun" spiced version of said grain.

Well, it looks like that JAG is about to get more carries.  Giants reporters and coaches saying that there will be major overhaul of the offense, including featuring darkwa more.  This could be the last opportunity to get him for free on your ww.  

He could end up sucking big time.  Or he could be a nice flex play all year.  Or dare I say end up becoming that rare Peyton Hillis type out of nowhere league winners!  

A giants fan can dream, RT?  Lol 

I like the optimism, but as we're both Giants' fans, we're both watching the implosion of the franchise...you know it, I know it..it's not getting any better..it's like a cat 5 hurricane is coming and it's time to evacuate.sell all your giants players while you still have time..now's NOT the time to be adding players from that team, it's time to run FROM it..

Hey you don't have to add him if you don't want to.  I did.  End of bench stash.  Not even dreaming of playing him unless he first breaks out on my bench.  In my leagues rbs are king BC of how sparse they are and injuries. They go for a huge premium.  So I spend the first half of the season stocking up on guys like darkwa that have a chance at meaningful touches for their team. If I have 3-4 guys like that on my bench all I need is for one of them to pop and I've got major trade bait.  

Well, guys.  This is it. Perkins is out. The entire fantasy community was falling over gallman all week.  Now Darkwa is active and the starter today.  Giants expected to mix gallman in but also to go with the hot hand.  

This is Darkwa's shot.  Personally, I'm not surprised that he is getting the starting nod over gallman. He deserves it.  He's done nothing to suggest he doesn't all season.  He's produced in limited work.  I think that mcadoo is doing the right thing to see what he's really got in Darkwa before giving the reigns to the shiny new toy in gallman (who I don't honk is anything more special than Darkwa as a prospect). 

He's got a plus matchup.  He's healthy.  And he's getting the start.  The rest is up to him.  If he's on your wire right now, snatch him up just in case he blows up and takes this job.  

If he doesn't, drop him back to the pile next week!

Well, guys.  This is it. Perkins is out. The entire fantasy community was falling over gallman all week.  Now Darkwa is active and the starter today.  Giants expected to mix gallman in but also to go with the hot hand.  

This is Darkwa's shot.  Personally, I'm not surprised that he is getting the starting nod over gallman. He deserves it.  He's done nothing to suggest he doesn't all season.  He's produced in limited work.  I think that mcadoo is doing the right thing to see what he's really got in Darkwa before giving the reigns to the shiny new toy in gallman (who I don't honk is anything more special than Darkwa as a prospect). 

He's got a plus matchup.  He's healthy.  And he's getting the start.  The rest is up to him.  If he's on your wire right now, snatch him up just in case he blows up and takes this job.  

He hasn’t produced, though.

Exactly -- make or break moment for Darkwa and his career here.

Darkwa definitely deserves it, but its SUCH a massive gutpunch to Gallman owners because they never started him when he was clearly better than Perkins, and now that Gallman showed the most juice he just leapfrogs him?

Giants are alternating series with Gallman and Darkwa. Both are looking good on their series. Chargers are that bad on Run D.

He may, but it will most likely be alternating series again with Gallman getting much more usage in the passing game. If I had to pick one, it's be Gallman due to a higher floor. Both are going to get stymied by the Denver D, but Gallman will get targets and dumpoffs.

Ok is this trip really necessary?  The original thread title was kind of funny, it's cool to see what people were thinking when players first got noticed... the Philip Rivers thread is like that.

Ok is this trip really necessary?  The original thread title was kind of funny, it's cool to see what people were thinking when players first got noticed... the Philip Rivers thread is like that.
lol I actually think this new title pretty much sums him up at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread