What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (2 Viewers)

I don't own any Howard stock. I won't deny cohen has looked great and earned carries, but it's one week. I didn't see the game, but it seems like a bit of overreaction. 
Bears homer here, it really isn't an overreaction.  He looked like this in every preseason game too.  

agree, but Howard is not returning RB1 value this year with a dynamic option like that stealing carries. 

His owners are nervous.  And rightfully so.  
I actually see the presence of Cohen being a big benefit for Howard.  Any player on the offense that can take the attention away from Howard is helpful.  Some of the big concerns about Howard was that he's the only threat on a bad offense so teams will focus solely on him.  With Cohen now Howard will not be the sole focus for defenses.  To me this just allows Howard more opportunity for bigger plays and to stay fresh the entire season.  Maybe I'm just way too optimistic but I just don't see the presence of Cohen hurting Howard all that much.

I actually see the presence of Cohen being a big benefit for Howard.  Any player on the offense that can take the attention away from Howard is helpful.  Some of the big concerns about Howard was that he's the only threat on a bad offense so teams will focus solely on him.  With Cohen now Howard will not be the sole focus for defenses.  To me this just allows Howard more opportunity for bigger plays and to stay fresh the entire season.  Maybe I'm just way too optimistic but I just don't see the presence of Cohen hurting Howard all that much.
Were they on the field together a lot?

I could understand this argument if Cohen and Howard played at the same time. But what actually happens, Cohen goes on the field in Howard's stead.

Were they on the field together a lot?
No, but they did have a couple plays together.  The ran a wildcat formation where Cohen was the QB and ran an option toss to Howard.  I think there was another play where Howard was in the backfield and Cohen was split out as a WR.  Cohen offers the offense a lot more options and a real threat compared to the rest of the players on the team.

I could understand this argument if Cohen and Howard played at the same time. But what actually happens, Cohen goes on the field in Howard's stead.
But they did have a couple plays on the field together and there will most likely be more.  Howard is not going to be on the field every play regardless so I don't see a big issue.

But they did have a couple plays on the field together and there will most likely be more.  Howard is not going to be on the field every play regardless so I don't see a big issue.
Right, no running back is on the field every play. Wouldn't you agree that Cohen's existence takes Howard off the field more than expected? 

The game script often dictates how these RBBC situations work out. My concern is that Chicago sucks really bad and will not keep games close, despite their performance against Atlanta. The pass catching running back might see the field a lot more. We might have a 2016 Isaiah Crowell situation for Howard. 

Also, even in a close game Cohen saw the field a lot more than Howard owners feel comfortable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This situation will be a lot like any other thunder/lightning time share.  The value of the starter will be inflated in games that the team wins, when they attempt to run the ball with a lead.  The value of the 3rd down back will be higher in games in which they trail and need to throw late. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Right, no running back is on the field every play. Wouldn't you agree that Cohen's existence takes Howard off the field even more? 

The game script often dictates how these RBBC situations work out. My concern is that Chicago sucks really bad and will not keep games close, despite their performance against Atlanta. The pass catching running back might see the field a lot more. We might have a 2016 Isaiah Crowell situation for Howard. 

Also, even in a close game Cohen saw the field a lot more than Howard owners feel comfortable. 
The coaching staff will affect Howard more than Cohen will I think.  The Bears only ran the ball 19 times yesterday which is on pace for 304 attempts on the year.  Gross.  Here is the rushing breakdown

Howard - 13

Cohen - 5

Burton - 1

There were 26 receptions on 40 targets.  Cohen led the team with targets and receptions but Howard was third on the team.

Cohen - 8 catches on 12 targets

Miller - 4 catches on 6 targets

Howard - 3 catches on 5 targets

Bellamy and Wright - 3 catches on 4 targets

Then a few other guys not worth mentioning.

This situation will be a lot like any other thunder/lightning time share.  The value of the starter will be inflated in games that the team wins, when they attempt to run the ball with a lead.  The value of the 3rd down back will be higher in games in which they trail and need to throw late. 
Don't forget that the Bears threw to Howard at the end of the game to come back and win also.  I know he dropped it but had he caught it people would have a lot of praise for Howard's game.

Don't forget that the Bears threw to Howard at the end of the game to come back and win also.  I know he dropped it but had he caught it people would have a lot of praise for Howard's game.
That drop concerns me more than Cohen's presence alone.

If the PRK didn't help Howard's drop rate I could see him being used less-and-less in the passing game as the season progresses.

Either way yesterday's game losing drop will absolutely impact the coaching staff's confidence in Howard as a receiver. 

Howard appears to be pretty good after he catches the ball.  His hands aren't great.  I saw Bears fans going nuts about that late drop.  He definitely should have had it.  But watch again and you'll see he got smashed by the defender and wouldn't have scored even if he caught it.  It didn't cost the Bears the game, like many Bears fans are saying.

So... Cohen

Howard appears to be pretty good after he catches the ball.  His hands aren't great.  I saw Bears fans going nuts about that late drop.  He definitely should have had it.  But watch again and you'll see he got smashed by the defender and wouldn't have scored even if he caught it.  It didn't cost the Bears the game, like many Bears fans are saying.
I worried if he would've gotten in if he caught it as well.  He should've but not a guarantee.  The pass was thrown late and seemed slow to me so I feel Glennon should take a little blame but that needed to be caught regardless.  When I saw the replay it almost seemed that the pass was so late and slow that Howard was just sitting there waiting to catch it and get hit.  The anticipation of that his is why he missed it.

As a Howard owner (3.10  in a 12 team PPR) I will be disappointed if he finishes the season with only 256 touches. That would be 44 touches below my expectations when I drafted him. Particularly as Gurley, who is on pace for 384 touches, was still on the board.

Decisions like that, in the moment, are the reason I love this hobby. 20/20 hindsight about those decisions are the reason I hate this hobby.

Well, I think that's the thrust of the issue. With all of the standard one game disclaimers in place, I think Cohen seems to be clearly staking a role. Will the Bears choose to build in a direction including both Howard and him, or will they tend to separate them in sets? Hard to have much of an answer yet, IMO.

Well, I think that's the thrust of the issue. With all of the standard one game disclaimers in place, I think Cohen seems to be clearly staking a role. Will the Bears choose to build in a direction including both Howard and him, or will they tend to separate them in sets? Hard to have much of an answer yet, IMO.
I don't think it's worth stressing out about right now.  For those who drafted Howard he's still a must start.  If you drafted Cohen or picked him up then he should strongly be considered as a flex play.

Well the Bears are going to be a negative game script team a majority of the season, so the value should be on Cohen going forward. 

As a Howard owner (3.10  in a 12 team PPR) I will be disappointed if he finishes the season with only 256 touches. That would be 44 touches below my expectations when I drafted him. Particularly as Gurley, who is on pace for 384 touches, was still on the board.

Decisions like that, in the moment, are the reason I love this hobby. 20/20 hindsight about those decisions are the reason I hate this hobby.
I'm in the same boat. I expected Howard to serve as a bell cow and get most of the passing work also. For Gurley, I did not see him getting many targets in the passing game, which is a windfall for week 1. Not sure how long Dunbar is out, but I still don't see Gurley getting much of the receptions out of the back field.

But at least we can say Howard didn't average 2.1 ypc. :hifive:

The touch opportunities were about equal in this game for Howard/Cohen.

Going forward it should shift to Cohen getting more if the coaches have eyes, Cohen is better and now that White is out, Cohen is their only quick twitch player.

Well the Bears are going to be a negative game script team a majority of the season, so the value should be on Cohen going forward. 
Good point. I'm probably starting Cohen in the flex next week over C. Coleman, but it's close.

I own Jordan in a couple leagues and I picked up Cohen before week 1 in a couple so I am invested in both.  I think Cohen will have a role and is a decent pickup but the fever may be a little too high. It appears to me that you have two very different types of RB and both will be utilized. Howard is the big banger and you need that and I still think he gets his carries every week. The Cohen performance limits his upside a bit because while I was thinking before yesterday he may get a fair amount of work in passing downs I can't see this happening with how Cohen looked. Cohen looks like a pretty dynamic kind of guy that I think can be mixed in for a few carries and featured in the passing game some.  He should be good for half dozen carries and a lot of pass targets each week.  This may actually be a pretty big role with the loss of Kevin White.  That may mean even more targets available for Cohen. Cohen becomes a decent flex type option in ppr leagues.  That is my take after week 1.

I was at the game last night, when Tarik was playing the Bears offense was electric and when he was out it was pretty bland. The other thing is that when he was drafted he was projected as being a gadget player but the Fox is making it a point to run him between the tackles, which he has has success with. I think he is going to get more playing time then people realize, he is a dynamic playmaker. I for one will not be touching Howard this year.

The Bears can not afford to NOT have Cohen in the game. He creates a buzz and you get the sense that he can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He is a dynamic playmaker as evidenced by Fox lining him up at QB and WR as well yesterday.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Blow a High draft pick, and woe is me?  One week, Coach's got a Look see, against what type Defense exactly.. Think Howard was PO'd, for all the effort, in the past.. Think that drop, was Sorry Coach, mind not in game?  Believe Coach, now gonna depart from banning Rook's. Watch some film on this YR's Elite #1 Rushing Title RB  aka Howard..

Ya could say, who ya willing too trade for?  AZ Owner maybe all too Happy too talk, but post your *hit plz n TY

Blow a High draft pick, and woe is me?  One week, Coach's got a Look see, against what type Defense exactly.. Think Howard was PO'd, for all the effort, in the past.. Think that drop, was Sorry Coach, mind not in game?  Believe Coach, now gonna depart from banning Rook's. Watch some film on this YR's Elite #1 Rushing Title RB  aka Howard..

Ya could say, who ya willing too trade for?  AZ Owner maybe all too Happy too talk, but post your *hit plz n TY
What?

the first 4 lines are poetry or rap, I believe...

"Blow a High draft pick, and woe is me?

One week, Coach's got a Look see,

against what type Defense exactly.."

I was kinda disappointed when the rest of the post didn't rhyme.

No clue, (maybe no concern) What ya mean, ya confused about?  YOU watched game, Right..  Ready too tell ROS now?  I miss something..

I'd appreciate a response Brother  OR  I may just need too ignore ya..  Off Subject, define your last fluke 1 wk Playa  (Yes I no answer, but humor me)

No clue, (maybe no concern) What ya mean, ya confused about?  YOU watched game, Right..  Ready too tell ROS now?  I miss something..

I'd appreciate a response Brother  OR  I may just need too ignore ya..  Off Subject, define your last fluke 1 wk Playa  (Yes I no answer, but humor me)
he did it again!!!

"No clue, (maybe no concern) What ya mean, ya confused about?

YOU watched game, Right.. Ready too tell ROS now?

I'd appreciate a response Brother

OR  I may just need too ignore ya"

I did watch the game.  Cohen was great and Howard did just fine but didn't get the amount of attempts I think he should have had.  I think I answered your question but I don't understand everything you're asking.  Sounds cool though.

That drop concerns me more than Cohen's presence alone.

If the PRK didn't help Howard's drop rate I could see him being used less-and-less in the passing game as the season progresses.

Either way yesterday's game losing drop will absolutely impact the coaching staff's confidence in Howard as a receiver. 
Glennon and Trubinsky's too

I don't think it's worth stressing out about right now.  For those who drafted Howard he's still a must start.  If you drafted Cohen or picked him up then he should strongly be considered as a flex play.
The question is, if you're a Howard owner, is the shark move to go in big with FAAB for Cohen?  And if an owner of both, who starts for you?  If you're going to still start Howard then maybe it makes sense to let someone else blow their FAAB dollars on Cohen.

Howard scored 15.60 in ppr yesterday. He was one dropped TD away from his 2nd TD and a big game against a decent defense. Very importantly, he caught 3 passes even when Cohen was catching a ton of passes. As you all know the Bears have very few receivers so Howard could still end up catching 40-50 passes. He will definitely get a ton of carries in that offense and most of the goal line. Conclusion = Howard is just fine going forward.

The question is, if you're a Howard owner, is the shark move to go in big with FAAB for Cohen?  And if an owner of both, who starts for you?  If you're going to still start Howard then maybe it makes sense to let someone else blow their FAAB dollars on Cohen.
I still stand with treating them as two separate players and not one being a handcuff.  If you can use Cohen on your roster then get him but if you feel you can only start one of them then I'm not so sure.  If the rest of the games go similar to yesterday then I think you could start Howard and Cohen both depending on roster and it being PPR.

As a Howard owner, I'll for sure be adding Cohen, but I'm not too worried about Howard. He played relatively well yesterday. Averaged 4.0ypc, which is pretty good. If he catches that TD pass, I don't think anyone would be doubting him. I still think he's a fine low-end RB1/high-end RB2.

As a Howard owner, I'll for sure be adding Cohen, but I'm not too worried about Howard. He played relatively well yesterday. Averaged 4.0ypc, which is pretty good. If he catches that TD pass, I don't think anyone would be doubting him. I still think he's a fine low-end RB1/high-end RB2.
I honestly still think people would be panicking. It's amazing, because he's going to finish the week as a low-end RB1/high-end RB2 and the sky is literally falling.

I am torn on this one.  He still looks the part to me, and passes the eye test with flying colors.  However there just isn't enough production to support two RBs in the Chicago offense.  At least not enough to support them at the level Howard is still being valued at (basically as a RB1).

I am torn on this one.  He still looks the part to me, and passes the eye test with flying colors.  However there just isn't enough production to support two RBs in the Chicago offense.  At least not enough to support them at the level Howard is still being valued at (basically as a RB1).
this is an offense that is desperately short on playmakers. Howard and Cohen should be considered as such for this team. The team is still figuring out the offense - Glennon, the WRs, etc - but they can lean on both of these guys a lot until then. 

this is an offense that is desperately short on playmakers. Howard and Cohen should be considered as such for this team. The team is still figuring out the offense - Glennon, the WRs, etc - but they can lean on both of these guys a lot until then. 
Yeah fair enough.  I just foresee a lot of 12-54 rushing, 1-5 receiving line type of games going forward.

Yeah fair enough.  I just foresee a lot of 12-54 rushing, 1-5 receiving line type of games going forward.
Do you own him in any leagues and if you do, what are you selling him for because his perceived value on the open market must be higher than what you foresee.

Users who are viewing this thread