What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (4 Viewers)

Jordan Howard practiced with the Eagles starters this week. 

It's the latest sign that Howard -- elevated from the practice squad on Tuesday -- could see real usage in Week 8 against Detroit. With Miles Sanders (ankle) on IR, Howard, Kenneth Gainwell, and Boston Scott will be the Eagles' running backs this week. Howard could split carries with Scott and might take short yardage and (possibly) goal line work. 

RELATED: 

Boston Scott

, Kenneth Gainwell

SOURCE: Dave Zangaro on Twitter 

Oct 29, 2021, 12:54 PM ET

As far as I know teams can activate guys on the day of a game. However, unless I'm misunderstanding, players can get signed by other teams while on the PS.

Jordan Howard rushed 12 times for 57 yards and two touchdowns in Detroit's Week 8 win over the Lions.

Elevated to the active roster this week, Howard had a 25% snap share in a committee with Boston Scott (45%) and Kenneth Gainwell (30%). The Eagles started Scott, with Howard the No. 2 back through the rotation. All three of Philly's backs finished with double-digit carries in the blowout win. Howard scored both of his touchdowns in the red-zone, though the Eagles also used Scott near the goal-line. With Miles Sanders (ankle, IR) out at least the next two games, there's value to Howard in the Eagles' run-heavy offense. Howard is worth a look on waivers ahead of a Week 9 matchup with the Chargers.

- NBC SportsEDGE
I underlined that because it's a real trap statement. Iggles went run-heavy because it was a blowout very early in the game. How many times in the next 2 games will have a similar script (Chargers, @ Broncos)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I'm not a believer.  I don't see long term value.

ETA:  When I say long term I mean beyond a week or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagles protected 4 players from the practice squad yesterday, including Howard. After this next game, they can't protect him anymore, so they will have to sign him, or leave him on the PS, and risk losing him. I can't see them signing him, since they'll have 4 backs when Sanders returns. 

NBC Sports' Rueben Frank said Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni "has to make [Jordan] Howard a permanent part of the offense even after Miles Sanders gets back."

Toiling on the Philadelphia practice squad just a few weeks ago, Howard is now the Eagles' de facto lead back after seeing 17 carries to Boston Scott's ten attempts in Week 9 against the Chargers. Howard has now rushed 29 times for 128 yards and three touchdowns over two games in his early-down banger role. Philadelphia's newfound commitment to establishing the run is a major boon for Howard's fantasy usefulness, and his showing over the past two weeks could further muddy the Eagles' backfield when Miles Sanders returns from his ankle injury. Howard should be added in all leagues this week and will shape up as a low-end RB2 in Week 10 against Denver. 

RELATED: 

Boston Scott

, Miles Sanders

, Kenneth Gainwell

SOURCE: NBCSports.com 

Nov 8, 2021, 8:11 AM ET

Eagles protected 4 players from the practice squad yesterday, including Howard. After this next game, they can't protect him anymore, so they will have to sign him, or leave him on the PS, and risk losing him. I can't see them signing him, since they'll have 4 backs when Sanders returns. 
interesting

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/will-eagles-jordan-howard-have-role-rest-season

Because the last two weeks, they have used a standard elevation to bring Howard up from the practice squad to play against the Lions and Chargers. And teams are allowed to use just two standard elevations on an individual player per season. So unless the Eagles have someone go to the COVID-19 list (COVID elevations are unlimited) they’re going to have to sign Howard to the 53-man roster if they want him to play this weekend in Denver.
It sounds like they will sign him after all, and carry 4 backs? 

JORDAN HOWARD RB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Eagles over the past three weeks have a neutral rush rate of 68 percent. 

Nick Sirianni is establishing it like no other. The Eagles, one of just four teams with a neutral pass rate lower than 50 percent of the past three weeks, have been able to keep the ball on the ground thanks to solid defensive play that has kept games close throughout. Philadelphia's pass rate while leading over the past few weeks is a microscopic 31 percent. Jordan Howard, a practice squad player in October, has come out of nowhere to handle 41 carries over that three-game stretch; Boston Scott has seen 33 rushing attempts over that stretch. Unless the Eagles are forced out of their preferred preferred approach, it appears they're going to be among the NFL's run heaviest offenses for the remainder of the season. That will naturally quash target volume for Philly pass catchers. 

RELATED: 

Boston Scott

Nov 16, 2021, 9:04 AM ET

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said Jordan Howard suffered a knee sprain and is expected to miss Week 12 against the Giants.

Howard went down in the third quarter of his Week 11 game against the Saints and did not return. He out-carried Miles Sanders 9-8 in the first half before exiting the game. Howard's absence should lock in Sanders for a solid workload versus the Giants this week. Boston Scott will back up Sanders while Kenneth Gainwell should be made active after getting bumped from the gameday roster last week. 

SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter

Nov 22, 2021, 3:00 PM ET

Jordan Howard (knee) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice. 

The Eagles have already said Howard is unlikely to suit up against the Giants. Miles Sanders will start, Boston Scott will change the pace, and Kenneth Gainwell could mix in for the odd touch or two. As long as Howard does not land on injured reserve Saturday, he should be back by Week 14 at the latest. 

Nov 25, 2021, 1:02 PM ET

Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni said Jordan Howard (knee) is out for Week 12 against the Giants. 

Howard, the team's lead back for a few weeks, will be sidelined against New York, leaving Miles Sanders as the Eagles' primary ball carrier against a Giants defense that's third worst in expected points added (EPA) against the run in 2021. Last week against the Saints, Sanders led the backfield with 16 rushes for 94 yards against New Orleans. Jalen Hurts' mobility removes almost all of Sanders' touchdown upside though. 

RELATED: 

Miles Sanders

, Boston Scott

SOURCE: Jeff McLane on Twitter 

Nov 26, 2021, 12:57 PM ET

Didn't practice today while it looks like Sanders was limited but progressing and Scott sick?

Curious if Howard is a hold at this point. I'm holding as of this second as a lottery ticket stash for the playoffs, but feel like the odds are increasing that his value becomes zero sooner rather than later. 

Would like to hold but I'z got needzzz.

Didn't practice today while it looks like Sanders was limited but progressing and Scott sick?

Curious if Howard is a hold at this point. I'm holding as of this second as a lottery ticket stash for the playoffs, but feel like the odds are increasing that his value becomes zero sooner rather than later. 

Would like to hold but I'z got needzzz.
I get your lottery ticket stash, but he'd be a tough hold for me. I picked up Sanders after he was dropped as a lottery ticket RB 2 hopeful, at least Flex material. Well, he's a hold so far. Sometimes there is jockeying for potential going forward going on now. 

I added him, then dropped him, because I don't like RB's with 0 receiving work. I do like it if Howard split the work with Scott this weekend. But, the bye is next week and I really need to get prospects that can for sure increase their value this week vs. next.

I'd play Howard if Sanders is out but would prefer other prospects. 

Jordan Howard (knee) did not practice on Thursday for the second consecutive day. 

Howard injured his knee against the Saints in Week 11 and has not participated in a practice or a game since. With only one more day of practice for the Eagles before they face the Jets on Sunday, it seems pretty unlikely that Howard will be able to play this week. 

Dec 2, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

Jordan Howard (knee) will play in Week 15 against Washington.

Howard averaged 12.8 carries in the four games he was available for mid-season and is expected to return to that same role behind Miles Sanders on Tuesday. Given the current state of the league, Howard can be viewed as a viable RB3/4 with touchdown upside if necessary.

Dec 17, 2021, 3:12 PM ET

Jordan Howard (knee) was upgraded to a full participant in Thursday's practice.

With Miles Sanders suddenly very questionable, it could well be Howard and Boston Scott toting the load against the Giants. This is a positive sign that Howard will be ready for the opportunity, and he looked good in running for 69 yards against the Football Team on Tuesday. 

Dec 23, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

MILES SANDERSRB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Miles Sanders (ankle) was not seen at the start of practice Friday. 

It is possible the running back shows up after the portion of practice open to the media, but it seems like Sanders is headed for his third-straight DNP. If that is the case, it is difficult to see him suiting up for Week 16. Jordan Howard would be a plug-and-play starter against the Giants if Sanders cannot go. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Howard

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said the team is "hopeful" Jordan Howard (stinger) will be able to play in Week 17 against Washington.

Miles Sanders has already been ruled out with a broken hand so Howard will be in line for a starting gig if he can play through the injury. Sirianni added that Howard underwent an MRI and the result was good so we'll assume he suits up for now. The Eagles have already shown a willingness to lean on him this year. Howard is averaging 12.5 carries across six games, primarily getting work with Sanders sidelined. He'll project for RB2/3 fantasy numbers if he gets in a few limited practices this week.

Dec 27, 2021, 2:57 PM ET

Jordan Howard (stinger) is questionable for Week 17. 

Eagles head coach Nick Sirriani said the team would make a decision on Howard's status in the next couple days ahead of the team's Week 17 game against Washington. Howard would likely split carries with Boston Scott if he goes. Scott would become an RB1 in 12-team leagues if Howard is sidelined against the Football Team. The run-heavy Eagles had a 41 percent pass rate in their Week 15 defeat of the Football Team. 

RELATED: 

Boston Scott

Dec 31, 2021, 12:30 PM ET

NBC Philly's Reuben Frank reports Jordan Howard (questionable, stinger) "remains up in the air" for Week 17 against Washington.

Howard looks headed for a game-time decision after closing out the week with two limited practices. With this being a neck injury, it's not a lock that he'll be cleared. The Eagles already ruled out Miles Sanders (broken hand) for Sunday's game. Boston Scott would serve as the Eagles' lead back if Howard sits.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia

Jan 1, 2022, 11:39 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jordan Howard (stinger) is expected to play in Week 17 against Washington.

Howard logged limited practices on Thursday and Friday so he should play without any limitations. He will split the backfield with Boston Scott while Kenneth Gainwell could get some run on passing downs. Howard averaged 14 carries for 70 yards and a touchdown in three games without Sanders earlier this year. He projects for RB2 numbers versus a struggling Washington defense. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 2, 2022, 8:50 AM ET

If he is active, does anyone have the stones to put him in this week? I have to fill my RB2 slot with someone, and it’s between a hobbled James Conner, Mike Carter against a tough TB defense, and Howard, in a smash matchup but could be a complete dud if his stinger flares up. If he were healthy, I would love to play Howard, but that’s a big “if.”

I’m kind of glad this is trending this way as it’s removing the Desire for me to last minute pick up Boston Scott and try and work out if he would have started ahead of any of  Penny/Rojo/Elliot 

If he is active, does anyone have the stones to put him in this week? I have to fill my RB2 slot with someone, and it’s between a hobbled James Conner, Mike Carter against a tough TB defense, and Howard, in a smash matchup but could be a complete dud if his stinger flares up. If he were healthy, I would love to play Howard, but that’s a big “if.”
With all the injuries I have Howard is currently in my flex. It’s between him and Mike Evans, who could be a limited decoy for half the game. As soon as it’s under control he’ll be on the bench vs the Jets

Saints promoted RB Jordan Howard from the practice squad.​

Howard could actually see some decent run on Monday night with Mark Ingram sidelined. The veteran running back has bounced around a few teams since the Bears selected him in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, and last played for the Eagles in 2021. In seven games with the Eagles, Howard rushed 86 times for 406 yards and three touchdowns while averaging a solid 4.7 YPC and 3.14 YCO/ATT. Howard isn't worth considering for your season-long fantasy lineups but could be a fun flier in tonight's single-game DFS contests.
Nov 7, 2022, 4:40 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread