What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How would you handle this? (1 Viewer)

How would you handle request for funds here?

• Pay it and move on

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • Don't go to party and stay quiet

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Pay it, but let them know it was obnoxious

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Don't go and let them know it was obnoxious

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
My son was in a private preschool program this year. One of the parents in charge of communication with the rest of the parents said she wanted to have a graduation/year-end party at her house, most other parents agreed that would be nice. 

A little background on this mom - family is super rich, like Chet is probably a peasant to these people, Dad prob makes $5M a year, they have two cars each over $100k and a house and yard easily worth $7-$8M (along with a house in the Hamptons)... 

Anyways, the party is Sunday - Mom sent out an email to the other families today stating they went over budget bc they hired entertainers/musicians/and all types of other unnecessary stuff. She is asking for a contribution of $40 a family. While it is $40 and whatever, it feels extremely obnoxious, especially given their insane financial status. We've been friends with this family since each of our kids were roughly 6 months old and still participate in a lot of similar family outings with them. With that being said, I'm struggling to bite my tongue. How would you handle? I'm prob gonna pay and just bite my tongue, but WTF?

just because they are filthy rich doesn't make them responsible to pay for the entire gig..  i'm sure they are spending more than $40 a family

I'd probably pay but have a private conversation with the dad about the way it was handled.  Let him decide how to give feedback to the wife.

you're struggling to bite your tongue over $40?
Did you read what I wrote? She wanted to have a party and invite everyone to their house, and now asks for a contribution... IDK in what world that isn't obnoxious, especially for people who are insanely wealthy. 

Option 1 or 2 applies...regardless, it's not worth losing sleep over.

What's $40 when you are already paying $20,000 for fc42jr's tuition? 

you're struggling to bite your tongue over $40?
Hey, I'm having a party, it'll be a great time, come on over!!

2 weeks later:

The party is a little expensive, our helicopter flight back from the Hamptons is going to cost an extra $4k to make it in time, I need an extra $40 a family. 

It is just obnoxious IMO.

i would probably pay but do something passive aggressive like pay in dimes and nickels.  then at the party I'd probably make a bunch of snarky comments about how nice their house is, "when are we taking the 100k car for a spin, my $40 should cover gas", stuff like that.  you can't let these people get over on you like that.

If you want to go, pay it.  If you don't care about going, don't pay it.  It is obnoxious but it depends on your future dealings with these people.  If they are friends or are people that you will see on a regular basis and continue to interact with, then what's the point of telling them?  If you don't care about them and want to teach them a lesson, go ahead and open your mouth.  Not sure what good will come of it, but have at it.

If it were me, I'd think it was tacky and decide whether or not it was worth my $40 to go but wouldn't think of telling them it's tacky, because, well, lots of people do tacky things on a regular basis. 

Option 1 or 2 applies...regardless, it's not worth losing sleep over.

What's $40 when you are already paying $20,000 for fc42jr's tuition? 
It is just extremely aggressive, could've been $10 or $200... They wanted to have a party :shrug:

My wife has become good friends two other moms in the class, one is a surgeon (her husband is a surgeon too) and other is married to a dude whose dad won the ####### Powerball... Not a financial matter to these people, but they all think it is ridiculous too. 

If you want to go, pay it.  If you don't care about going, don't pay it.  It is obnoxious but it depends on your future dealings with these people.  If they are friends or are people that you will see on a regular basis and continue to interact with, then what's the point of telling them?  If you don't care about them and want to teach them a lesson, go ahead and open your mouth.  Not sure what good will come of it, but have at it.

If it were me, I'd think it was tacky and decide whether or not it was worth my $40 to go but wouldn't think of telling them it's tacky, because, well, lots of people do tacky things on a regular basis. 
This is kinda where I am... I just think it is absolutely ridiculous. My wife forwarded me this email this morning and my jaw dropped, I just couldn't believe it. 

if it really bother you, you can go to the party and drop an upper-decker in the fanciest bathroom before you leave..

Who throws a pre-k graduation party?  

Asking for $ AFTER she has made all the decisions about the party is really obnoxious, especially considering their financial situation, but whatever, you are likely just getting started with these people so pay the $40 and move on.

You could have (and probably should have) left out the part about how much money they have as it's somewhat irrelevant. For them/her to plan a party then go over budget and ask for others to pitch in is tacky. If there was an agreement before that participants would share in the cost that's a different story.

I'd pay, and thank them for all their effort organizing the event and for opening their home to all of us.  The next time she suggests celebrating the routine as if it were an accomplishment I would know what to expect and would graciously decline.

Exactly what sucks about the situation... There is no positive in saying something, but it is such a ridiculous move on their part.
If your kid is going to have a good time, just pay the $40 and don't say anything.  Their happiness should easily be worth it.

If it were a Super Bowl party or something for adults only, I would say something - not when the kids are involved.

Being basically a party that they initiated and are hosting and inviting people to- it is pretty obnoxious regardless of how much money they make to then turn around and ask for contributions. If you are hosting- then you are hosting, if you want people to contribute for whatever reason- then you ask upfront. If you go over budget- that is on you.

That all being said. Two things to weigh in.... first, are they friends or friendly? If friends, then I would bring it up in a helpful manner that they might not realize what they did. Friendly, then I would just drop it. If I go or not would really depend on my kid. If they would feel left out or they missed out then I wouldn't want $40 and how other people act to determine what happens to my kids.

You could have (and probably should have) left out the part about how much money they have as it's somewhat irrelevant. For them/her to plan a party then go over budget and ask for others to pitch in is tacky. If there was an agreement before that participants would share in the cost that's a different story.
I don't think it is... They wanted to have a party, they invited everyone to their house for a party, and there was no talk about anyone contributing to a party. If they were some middle class family, it would prob be a little obnoxious, but it wouldn't bother me that much... The fact that they're super wealthy makes it that much more obnoxious IMO.

Pay the $40.

But send a message by bringing your own cooler of 40's and drink them from a paper bag.

I bet she told her other rich friends she would build a party, and have the guests pay for it! Brilliant! 

My son was in a private preschool program this year. One of the parents in charge of communication with the rest of the parents said she wanted to have a graduation/year-end party at her house, most other parents agreed that would be nice. 

A little background on this mom - family is super rich, like Chet is probably a peasant to these people, Dad prob makes $5M a year, they have two cars each over $100k and a house and yard easily worth $7-$8M (along with a house in the Hamptons)... 

Anyways, the party is Sunday - Mom sent out an email to the other families today stating they went over budget bc they hired entertainers/musicians/and all types of other unnecessary stuff. She is asking for a contribution of $40 a family. While it is $40 and whatever, it feels extremely obnoxious, especially given their insane financial status. We've been friends with this family since each of our kids were roughly 6 months old and still participate in a lot of similar family outings with them. With that being said, I'm struggling to bite my tongue. How would you handle? I'm prob gonna pay and just bite my tongue, but WTF?
I bolded the important parts. 

i'd probably not go
Meh, that just punishes my son... It really comes down to saying something or not. As noted earlier and kind of what I was thinking, saying something creates an unnecessary enemy... Although it would feel good to just let them know WTF, I know I'm not the only one thinking it. 

They invite. You accept. They ask for money. You decline. You attend the party. Have a great time. 

Pay it & move on. The $ is the least of the problem. Get used to this crap. You think the millenials are bad now.. wait till this crop of kids hits the workforce :facepalm:

:obc:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pay, and thank them for all their effort organizing the event and for opening their home to all of us.  The next time she suggests celebrating the routine as if it were an accomplishment I would know what to expect and would graciously decline.
This. 

Did you read what I wrote? She wanted to have a party and invite everyone to their house, and now asks for a contribution... IDK in what world that isn't obnoxious, especially for people who are insanely wealthy. 
I know a ton of wealthy people and 95% of them are the cheapest people I know.  you should be used to stuff like this.

if you're going to pay the $40, at least gossip behind these people's back with all of the other parents about how tacky this is......oh, wait....looks like you've already done that :thumbup:

you travel in those circles, you must make some serious money yourself.  nice work :thumbup:
it's private pre-school in NYC. the only place they (the rich) rub elbows with the non-rich. then the rest of us head off to public school for pre-k and k, while they keep paying 40-50k/year per kid until college.

It isn't worth the headache and the drama at the party.  $40 is a reduced price already when you think about what it cost to go to the movies these days.  

Pay the $40 and say thank you for organizing.  Next time they offer something like this ask up front if there are any expenses or if you can help organize. 

Users who are viewing this thread