What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeper Alert: Rob Kelley - RB - WAS (2 Viewers)

I think the CS likes Thompson in his role. I do think it will expand a little in the event MJ goes down but I don't think they'll be running him 15-20 times a game. 

I think Kelley would be the main beneficiary in regards to a role expansion. 

I'm picking up Kelley but here's the breakdown..

First set of data is a snap percentage, second utilization and third RZ utilization.

Thompson is great but his body won't hold up if he's being utilized 19 times a game.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Target

Rush

Total

Jones

33%

58%

46%

66%

56%

41%

30%

Kelley

0%

0%

0%

0%

0%

12%

14%

Thom

67%

42%

48%

32%

32%

49%

59%

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking up Kelley but here's the breakdown..

First set of data is a snap percentage, second utilization and third RZ utilization.

Thompson is great but his body won't hold up if he's being utilized 19 times a game.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

Week 7

Target

Rush

Total

Jones

33%

58%

46%

66%

56%

41%

30%

Kelley

0%

0%

0%

0%

0%

12%

14%

Thom

67%

42%

48%

32%

32%

49%

59%

In today's NFL it seems like it's more a matter of who's getting it done rather than "who's too small to hold up".   It sure seems like the Redskins aren't concerned with his workload so long as he's carrying the mail for them.  And while 19 touches seems like a lot, he only carried the ball 12 times - and to great effect. I also don't think they're going to smash him up the middle 12 times. More likely he runs around the outside (round the outside, round the outside for any of you Slim Shady fans) 

I think Kelley will get more than the 5 touches a game he's received the last 2 games. but right now the trend seems to indicate Thompson has the most value in what really looks like a 3-headed monster. 

Now watch - Jones will come out with another 100++ game like he's done every time we try to bury the guy. :lol:  

That Washington backfield is the  :tfp:  that keeps on giving. 

In today's NFL it seems like it's more a matter of who's getting it done rather than "who's too small to hold up". It sure seems like the Redskins aren't concerned with his workload so long as he's carrying the mail for them.

I think Kelley will get more than the 5 touches a game he's received the last 2 games. but right now the trend seems to indicate Thompson has the most value in what really looks like a 3-headed monster.

Now watch - Jones will come out with another 100++ game like he's done every time we try to bury the guy. :lol:  

That Washington backfield is the :tfp: that keeps on giving.
Thompson has struggled mightily with injuries in college and in the NFL. Trust me, this guy isn't going to hold up if he's touching the ball more than what a COP back should. I'll lay out the injury history..

He had back problems all through-out college and actually broke his back his junior year.

2012 - missed 6 games with an ACL tear

2013 - knee problems, ankle problems, torn labrum (missed 7 games)

2014 - ankle sprain

2015 - back contusion (missed 1 game but this bothered him), shoulder contusion, torn labrum (missed 2 games)

If I know this then the coaching staff sure as hell knows this.

Thompson has struggled mightily with injuries in college and in the NFL. Trust me, this guy isn't going to hold up if he's touching the ball more than what a COP back should. I'll lay out the injury history..

He had back problems all through-out college and actually broke his back his junior year.

2012 - missed 6 games with an ACL tear

2013 - knee problems, ankle problems, torn labrum (missed 7 games)

2014 - ankle sprain

2015 - back contusion (missed 1 game but this bothered him), shoulder contusion, torn labrum (missed 2 games)

Yep - I've seen the list in the past as well. 

But, he's playing well right now and the WAS coaches want to win games.  I'm not going to assume responsibility or health consciousness on the part of an NFL coaching staff.  

Right now it's anyone's guess what will happen. I again wish the Kelley owners luck.  I wonder if this topic will still be as all over the place in week 14 as it is through 7 weeks. :lol:  

I'm honestly a bit shocked that WAS hasn't gone out and picked up a RB. Ridley was there for the taking, but ATL just added him. 

If I were the WAS staff and had to choose between MJones, Kelley and Thompson, I'd pick "D: none of the above".  

Per Gruden: Kelley would start and take over Jones role if he misses time.

Per Gruden: Kelly would start and take over Jones role if he misses time.
Link? 

Funny -  the  update that I am seeing says something different 

According to coach Jay Gruden, Jones has some soreness in his knee and was experiencing pain while cutting. We'll know more Thursday and Friday, but Gruden has already hinted Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson may see more work at Jones' expense. Jones has fumbled three times this season.

"If Matt has an issue where he can’t go, it would be Robert in the lead role, more likely," said Gruden. 

Just found this this little blurb.

He needs to be rostered if you're in need of a spot start this week. Long-term he has a bye and a terrible schedule but this week vs. CIN he can be useful. CIN has allowed the 3rd most PPG to RBs in the last three weeks and I cannot imagine him being much worse than Crow last week (the backfield even profiles similarly).

He needs to be rostered if you're in need of a spot start this week. Long-term he has a bye and a terrible schedule but this week vs. CIN he can be useful. CIN has allowed the 3rd most PPG to RBs in the last three weeks and I cannot imagine him being much worse than Crow last week (the backfield even profiles similarly).
Agreed. 

Grabbed him for now and dropped my defense. Will drop him most likely a minute before Sundays game as I am against the cja owner who is hurting for rb help. If Jones doesn't go he could be decent spot start for sure.

Grabbed him for now and dropped my defense. Will drop him most likely a minute before Sundays game as I am against the cja owner who is hurting for rb help. If Jones doesn't go he could be decent spot start for sure.
Just picked him up...  with blocking another team in mind. However, if it looks like he'll start, I might use him over Ingram this week.

He's not a FA in any of my leagues (Matt jones owner has had him in both for a month)

I think Thompson is the better play regardless of who's "starting". 

Especially PPR

I've been wrong before.  Likely outcome is a "hot hand" approach. 

Coach Jay Gruden said Rob Kelley would start if Matt Jones (knee) can't play this week.
"If Matt has an issue where he can’t go, it would be Robert in the lead role, more likely," said Gruden. "Chris [Thompson] has such an important role as far as third downs that we need him in that, and he’s not a very big guy." It's not a surprise that the Redskins would give Kelley carries over Thompson, but he'll need Jones to not play to have value. There should be more on Jones' status Thursday.

Hilariously enough, and I know no one gives a #### about my league but the dude I'm playing only has Quizz, CJA and Jones to choose from this week. I dropped my kicker for him in that league for obvious reason. I'll probably end up dropping him before kick-off but I am curious as to how severe Jones' injury is. 

Coach Jay Gruden said Rob Kelley would start if Matt Jones (knee) can't play this week.
"If Matt has an issue where he can’t go, it would be Robert in the lead role, more likely," said Gruden. "Chris [Thompson] has such an important role as far as third downs that we need him in that, and he’s not a very big guy." It's not a surprise that the Redskins would give Kelley carries over Thompson, but he'll need Jones to not play to have value. There should be more on Jones' status Thursday.

Yeah, even Gruden knows.

Hilariously enough, and I know no one gives a #### about my league but the dude I'm playing only has Quizz, CJA and Jones to choose from this week. I dropped my kicker for him in that league for obvious reason. I'll probably end up dropping him before kick-off but I am curious as to how severe Jones' injury is. 
Quiz & CJA is a pretty good tandem if he's strong at WR & QB.

tell us more about your league - # of teams, how many points you've scored, do you have a blog or a newsletter I can subscribe to? 

So week 8 - congrats to those who picked up & held Kelleyfor 7 weeks. He's maybe finally going to get his shot to start. 

Considering the saga that this topic has become, let's have fun & get some projections going! 

Kelley: 16 carries, 64.5 RuYd, 1 Rec, 7 yards, I give him a 20% chance at a TD (Cousins seems to love to run in the red zone) 

CThompson 8 carries, 36 RuYd, 6 receptions, 54 ReYd, 1 ReTd

Cousins 4 carries, 13 yards, 1 RuTd

because I was so down on Kelley, i'll send whoever is closest to kelly's Rushing yds, Receiving yds & TD totals a bottle of hot sauce on the house.. :)   

(Rules: US only - international shipping is insane for 1 bottle, no editing post with guess, obviously) 

(I hope this is allowed?) 

Go! 

ETA: i'll honor it whether MJones plays or not. Whoever is closest in all 3.  A bottle will be given away. The only question is to whom. 

Considering the saga that this topic has become, let's have fun & get some projections going! 

Kelley: 16 carries, 64.5 RuYd, 1 Rec, 7 yards, I give him a 20% chance at a TD (Cousins seems to love to run in the red zone)

because I was so down on Kelley, i'll send whoever is closest to kelly's Rushing yds, Receiving yds & TD totals a bottle of hot sauce on the house. :)
If Kelley starts, I'll say 14 carries, 57 yards, 1 TD; 2 rec, 18 yards.

I hope I'm the Lucky Dog!  ;)

Have the Redskins left for London yet? Are they leaving Matt Jones at home.

Think Kelley can be Alf Morris 2.0- North-South non-nonsense runner, hit the hole, no-frills.

Yeah that 53 carries for 623 yards and 49 receptions for 132 yards and 12 td can't be correct.  That's only 2.69 yards per reception.  I would think those receiving yards would be 3 times that.  Otherwise, looks good.

Yeah that 53 carries for 623 yards and 49 receptions for 132 yards and 12 td can't be correct.  That's only 2.69 yards per reception.  I would think those receiving yards would be 3 times that.  Otherwise, looks good.
To be fair, he may be projecting ROS.

:dunno:

that was not part of this contest. ;)  

They have Mack Brown on their Practice Squad. Keith Marshall is on IR right now. It was a close race between Kelley and Brown, who both surprised in preseason, for who would make the 53. That's probably why they're not rushing out trying to pick up a guy like Ridley. 

All kidding aside, I just flew out of Dulles and saw a dude in dreads, but I doubt it was him.
Gruden said they are taking everyone with them to London.

However, I believe was not on the practice field on Thursday.

Take all that for what you will.  Jones doesn't look like a "go" but they haven't "ruled him out" either...

Note: be sure to check other folks projections. In the event of a tie, the winner will be the person who posted 1st by timestamp. :)  

Redskins running back Matt Jones is not practicing today. He hurt his knee Sunday vs. Detroit and did not practice Wednesday.

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Note: be sure to check other folks projections. In the event of a tie, the winner will be the person who posted 1st by timestamp. :)  
Whoah, I just realized that I predicted almost the same statline as Bolts fan, except that we differ in receiving yards by 10.  If Kelly nabs a second reception, you know I'm gonna be screaming for the defense to get him down.  LOL

Why are people predicting stat lines? There isn't even news he's going to start over Jones...
guess that was all you read ....

Users who are viewing this thread