Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: DOJ Drops Case Against Flynn Even After He Pleads Guilty

3 minutes ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

Russians didnt care who won the election, they just wanted the American people to not trust the process/results and turn on each other. With a big assist from the MSM they have achieved this goal.

nice :fishing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystal said:

But Flynn's wrongdoing doesn't implicate Trump unless it's to say that Trump should have micromanaged his underlings more closely, like a helicopter President.

Yaknow, Flynn has been revealed as a lot of nasty things I guess. But let's also acknowledge that he was a 3-Star General with a record in the military and intelligence. You may think a guy like that flies off doing his own thing, but I don't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

How would Russian agents providing bogus Intel to a campaign and the FBI be acting against their best interest?

They wanted to sow discord in the US political process, they achieved it.

Same thing with their Facebook ads. Some of their ads targeted people sympathetic to BLM. Russian ads and bots even promoted a fake event, an anti-Trump protest in NYC, 16000 people said they were going, it was shared 65000 times, and 5k-10k people actually showed up.

The Hill link

Russians didnt care who won the election, they just wanted the American people to not trust the process/results and turn on each other. With a big assist from the MSM they have achieved this goal.

As for Hillary/DNC paying Russia for oppo research, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as no FEC violations occurred. That is what campaigns do. My only point in bringing it up is some people claiming Trump Jr meeting with some Russians for 20 minutes in NYC to get dirt on Hillary is evidence of collusion, grounds for impeachment, blah blah blah.

The fact that nobody cares about one campaign "colluding" with Russia for dirt but the other side doing it is a big deal is odd.

It isn't whataboutism. It is calling out the blatant hypocrisy.

Either Russia is the enemy and any and all contact/money exchanged with them is bad, or this whole thing has nothing to do with Russia/election and is just a 13 month temper tantrum by sore losers.

You joined last may, and only have 135 posts like this one.

Russian Bot

• Like 7

Amazing that the current right wing/ russian bot talking point is that the (alleged) DNC paying Russians for info is equivalent to (alleged) Trump altering US foreign policy for stolen emails/info.   One is dirty politics, one is treason.   

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

How would Russian agents providing bogus Intel to a campaign and the FBI be acting against their best interest?

Same thing with their Facebook ads. Some of their ads targeted people sympathetic to BLM. Russian ads and bots even promoted a fake event, an anti-Trump protest in NYC, 16000 people said they were going, it was shared 65000 times, and 5k-10k people actually showed up.

The Hill link

As for Hillary/DNC paying Russia for oppo research, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as no FEC violations occurred. That is what campaigns do. My only point in bringing it up is some people claiming Trump Jr meeting with some Russians for 20 minutes in NYC to get dirt on Hillary is evidence of collusion, grounds for impeachment, blah blah blah.

The fact that nobody cares about one campaign "colluding" with Russia for dirt but the other side doing it is a big deal is odd.

Either Russia is the enemy and any and all contact/money exchanged with them is bad, or this whole thing has nothing to do with Russia/election and is just a 13 month temper tantrum by sore losers.

The difference in Steele possibly paying his sources...and Trump campaign personnel meeting ngbwith Russian officials and possibly offering favorable treatment (sanctions and other) is quite big.  You know this...right?

One is collusion...the other isn't.

So nope...no real hypocrisy at all.  And it is purely whataboutism.

Team T colludes Russian's about releasing hacked emails, micro targeting and hacking of US citizens, voting machines, email systems, etc. in exchange for removing sanctions making many people VERY rich = employing someone to find proof that Team T colluded with Russians about releasing hacked emails and election hacking.........:loco::loco::loco:  ...sure that makes sense....

Edited by Banger
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

The Hill link

You’re being obtuse. A campaign hiring a firm which employs someone who has some Russians as sources does not even come close to equalling members of a campaign meeting with official Russian government agents, promising to remove sanctions for hacked dirt on their opponent.

I suspect your next post will be addressing Mueller’s obvious partisan hackery and conflicts of interest. That seems to be the newest talking points from the playbook.

45 minutes ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

The Hill link

Whose alias is this? Higgs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

The Hill link

You do realize that the assumption for those who favor impeachment is that there were specific policy changes given in exchange for the dirt, right?

Like, oh I don’t know, say a major change in party platform on Ukraine and a promise to ease sanctions. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 1:07 PM, Bucky86 said:

Flynn said Russian sanctions would be ripped up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/politics/michael-flynn-russia-sanctions-ripped-up-whistleblower.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=66181379&pgtype=Homepage

Reveal hidden contents

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, told a former business associate that economic sanctions against Russia would be “ripped up” as one of the Trump administration’s first acts, according to an account by a whistle-blower made public on Wednesday.

Mr. Flynn believed that ending the sanctions could allow a business project he had once participated in to move forward, according to the whistle-blower. The account is the strongest evidence to date that the Trump administration wanted to end the sanctions immediately, and suggests that Mr. Flynn had a possible economic incentive for the United States to forge a closer relationship with Russia.

Mr. Flynn had worked on a business venture to partner with Russia to build nuclear power plants in the Middle East until June 2016, but remained close with the people involved afterward. On Inauguration Day, according to the whistle-blower, Mr. Flynn texted the former business associate to say that the project was “good to go.”

The account is detailed in a letter written by Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Oversight Committee. In the letter, Mr. Cummings said that the whistle-blower contacted his office in June and has authorized him to go public with the details. He did not name the whistle-blower.

Photo

A portion of the letter Mr. Cummings sent to Mr. Gowdy.

“These grave allegations compel a full, credible and bipartisan congressional investigation,” Mr. Cummings wrote.

Mr. Flynn has been under investigation by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel investigating Russia’s attempts to disrupt last year’s election, for calls he made last December to Sergey I. Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to the United States at the time. Mr. Flynn pleaded guilty on Friday to lying to the F.B.I. about the nature of his calls, during which the men discussed the sanctions that the Obama administration had just imposed on Russia.

Continue reading the main story

Russian Hacking and Influence in the U.S. Election

Complete coverage of Russia’s campaign to disrupt the 2016 presidential election.

Prosecuting a President: Can It Be Done? Will It? DEC 5

Special Counsel Investigation Has Cost at Least $6.7 million DEC 5

Is Trump Crazy Like a Fox or Plain Old Crazy? DEC 5

Mueller’s Facts and Trump’s Make-Believe DEC 5

Manafort Associate Has Russian Intelligence Ties, Court Document Says DEC 4

See More »

RELATED COVERAGE

Michael Flynn Pleads Guilty to Lying to the F.B.I. and Will Cooperate With Russia Inquiry DEC. 1, 2017

THE DAILY 

Listen to a Special Episode of ‘The Daily’ on Flynn’s Guilty Plea DEC. 1, 2017

A Split From Trump Indicates That Flynn Is Moving to Cooperate With MuellerNOV. 23, 2017

Mueller Seeks White House Documents on Flynn AUG. 4, 2017

In his letter, Mr. Cummings also said that his staff had been in consultations with Mr. Mueller’s team, which brought the criminal charge against Mr. Flynn. Staffers for the special counsel asked Mr. Cummings not to make the whistle-blower’s account public until “they completed certain investigative steps,” he wrote.

According to the account detailed in the letter, the whistle-blower had a conversation on Inauguration Day with Alex Copson of ACU Strategic Partners, a company that hired Mr. Flynn in 2015 as an adviser to develop a plan to work with Russia to build nuclear power plants throughout the Middle East. Mr. Flynn served as an adviser until June 2016.

During the conversation, Mr. Copson told the whistle-blower that “this is the best day of my life” because it was “the start of something I’ve been working on for years, and we are good to go.” Mr. Copson told the whistle-blower that Mr. Flynn had sent him a text message during Mr. Trump’s inaugural address, directing him to tell others involved in the nuclear project to continue developing their plans.

Newsletter Sign Up

Continue reading the main story

Breaking News Emails

Get the latest on the special counsel investigation — and other major news — delivered to your email inbox.

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

PRIVACY POLICY

OPT OUT OR CONTACT US ANYTIME

“This is going to make a lot of very wealthy people,” Mr. Copson said.

Attempts to reach Mr. Copson on Wednesday were unsuccessful. A lawyer for Mr. Flynn declined to comment.

The letter went on to say that “Mr. Copson explained that General Flynn was making sure that sanctions would be ‘ripped up’ as one of his first orders of business and that this would allow money to start flowing into the project.”

President Obama first imposed economic sanctions on Russia in 2014, after Russia’s military incursions in Crimea and Ukraine, and again last December to punish Russia for its attempts to disrupt the United States presidential election.

Earlier this year, various plans to lift the Russia sanctions circulated through the Trump administration, but Mr. Trump ultimately decided not to repeal the measures. Mr. Flynn lasted just 24 days as national security adviser before he was forced out amid questions about whether he lied to administration officials about the nature of his phone calls with Mr. Kislyak.

Mr. Cummings sent the letter to the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Committee, Trey Gowdy, Republican of South Carolina, and asked him to investigate the whistle-blower’s claims. The whistle-blower, Mr. Cummings said, is willing to meet with Mr. Gowdy if he agrees to protect the person’s identity.

“I do not bring this whistle-blower to your attention lightly,” Mr. Cummings said. “I have attempted to advance this investigation without exposing individuals to personal or professional risk. But the exceptionally troubling allegations in this case — combined with ongoing obstruction from the White House and others — have made this step necessary.”

Document: Read the Letter That Cummings Sent on Flynn Whistle-Blower 

Mr. Cummings said Mr. Gowdy should subpoena the White House and the Flynn Intelligence Group, Mr. Flynn’s former company, for documents that the House committee had requested in March but had not yet been provided. The subpoena to the White House should be for “all documents — including emails and text messages sent on personal devices” about Mr. Flynn’s foreign contacts, payments and efforts to promote the proposal. Mr. Cummings said that Mr. Gowdy should subpoena Mr. Flynn, Mr. Copson and four others to testify before the panel.

Mr. Gowdy and Mr. Cummings have a long history of clashing publicly over politically charged investigations. Mr. Gowdy was the chairman of the special committee that investigated the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, and Mr. Cummings was that panel’s ranking member. As part of that investigation, Mr. Gowdy also scrutinized Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email account when she was secretary of state.

In the letter, Mr. Cummings appeared to try to anticipate an argument that Mr. Gowdy might make — that he cannot investigate the whistle-blower’s claims as long as Mr. Flynn was still under investigation by Mr. Mueller’s team.

“As chairman of the Benghazi select committee, you pursued your investigation of Hillary Clinton during an ongoing criminal investigation,” Mr. Cummings wrote.

According to twitter,  there’s some evidence today that this text message never actually happened. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Opie said:

Oh...I forgot the narrative.

TRUMP BAD!  TRUMP EVIL!  ...narcissist...egotistical...misogynist..racist...homophobe...xenophobe...draft dodger...pedophile...traitor......arrogant...idiot...Hitler...bully...deluded...dotard...etc....

Ok...I'm better now.  I just have to keep repeating the mantra and stop looking at my 401K

Opie starring in: "THE VICTIM TROLL"

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

"The precise nature of Mrs. Ohr’s duties – including whether she worked on the dossier – remains unclear"

yeah, very interesting.

Yeah I stopped reading there too. 

11 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
12 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

What’s truly atypical about Trump’s coverage is that it’s sharply negative despite the fact that he’s the source of nearly two-thirds of the sound bites surrounding his coverage. ...So why is Trump’s coverage so negative even though he does most of the talking? The fact is, he’s been on the defensive during most of his 100 days in office, trying to put the best face possible on executive orders, legislative initiatives, appointments, and other undertakings that have gone bad. Even Fox has not been able to save him from what analyst David Gergen called the “’worst 100 days we’ve ever seen.”link

Kind of a dumb graphic because they explicitly remove all "neutral" coverage, which accounts for a third of the coverage across all platforms.  We have to assume that is evenly distributed, although I don't see how it could be.  It's possible that Fox, for instance, has very little "neutral" coverage.  Or maybe they're completely evenly split with a third for each.  We don't know. 

It wasn't lost on me that one third of the coverage was neutral and almost two thirds came straight from Trump.   I'm sure Trump was occasionally neutral.

The fact that she worked for Fusion isn't even interesting...:lmao:

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

"The precise nature of Mrs. Ohr’s duties – including whether she worked on the dossier – remains unclear"

yeah, very interesting.

In a normal thread, I agree.  But I thought this was the thread where we took giant leaps and where coincidences were important.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shader said:

What do you see as the outcome of this? Ohr leads the DOJ's anti-drug fighting efforts. The administration trusts him a great deal, obviously.

One side note is that the administration's paranoia about all things dossier has led to their knocking Ohr out of the line of DOJ succession? Does it look that way to you? He was Associate Deputy AG, now he's not. I kind of wonder who is after Rosenstein & Brand now.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

2 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

What do you see as the outcome of this? Ohr leads the DOJ's anti-drug fighting efforts. The administration trusts him a great deal, obviously.

One side note is that the administration's paranoia about all things dossier has led to their knocking Ohr out of the line of DOJ succession? Does it look that way to you? He was Associate Deputy AG, now he's not. I kind of wonder who is after Rosenstein & Brand now.

Oh come on now.....he's really not going to answer either question........i applaud your efforts though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shader said:

It is.  But really has nothing to do with the evidence.  None of which has been refuted yet.  Well, they lied, but then when presented with the evidence, they've not denied it.  

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bruiser said:

The Hill link

I don't think the bolded is accurate.  I mean, sowing discord was their primary goal, sure.  But, if push came to shove, they wanted Trump to win.  Now, they win if Hillary won and they got Trump to call shenanigans on the election (as he threatened to do), so really it was a no-lose situation for them, but they wanted Trump to win.

So I am clear: the talking point here is that the dossier was completely fabricated by the Russians, feeding Steele bad info?  got it.  I understand that POV a little better.  I still think it's ridiculous, but at least I get it.

Trump’s lawyers are now demanding a new special counsel- to investigate Mueller. 

Is any of this anti-Mueller stuff in the conservative press going to work? They’re getting awfully strident. Several editorials calling on him to resign or be fired. It seems like every host on Fox is demanding it now. Is this orchestrated? Is Trump preparing to do this? 

And if he does Fire Mueller, what will Congress do? 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Trump’s lawyers are now demanding a new special counsel- to investigate Mueller. 

Is any of this anti-Mueller stuff in the conservative press going to work? They’re getting awfully strident. Several editorials calling on him to resign or be fired. It seems like every host on Fox is demanding it now. Is this orchestrated? Is Trump preparing to do this? 

Dems will :rant::hot:

GOPs will :coffee:  :yawn:

12 hours ago, shader said:

In a normal thread, I agree.  But I thought this was the thread where we took giant leaps and where coincidences were important.

Can you start pointing out the posts where people actually do this?  You always call it out generally but never in response to a specific post. And it seems to me that people don't really do this nearly as often as you think.  In fact I think this thread is pretty cautious when it comes to drawing conclusions.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, crystal said:

I don't know why Flynn lied to the FBI. I admit that's hard to explain innocently. But Flynn's wrongdoing doesn't implicate Trump unless it's to say that Trump should have micromanaged his underlings more closely, like a helicopter President. I know that Sessions and Kushner and others (Don Jr.?) have failed to disclose meetings, and they've given various explanations for those failures which will be more convincing to some people than to others. To answer your question, yes, it all seems a little weird and it's concerning. But going from "this administration is a little weird and concerning" to "Trump colluded with Russia" is a leap that I don't think the evidence supports.

So your hope, or belief, is just that Trump is incredibly stupid?  The most incompetent presidential candidate in the history of our country.  Because as time goes on and more evidence comes out, it's one or the other.  Either Trump knew about Russian collusion, or he's the most incompetent moron to ever run for President.  

6 minutes ago, thayman said:

So your hope, or belief, is just that Trump is incredibly stupid?  The most incompetent presidential candidate in the history of our country.  Because as time goes on and more evidence comes out, it's one or the other.  Either Trump knew about Russian collusion, or he's the most incompetent moron to ever run for President.  

I'll go with both.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Can you start pointing out the posts where people actually do this?  You always call it out generally but never in response to a specific post. And it seems to me that people don't really do this nearly as often as you think.  In fact I think this thread is pretty cautious when it comes to drawing conclusions.

The trap here is that there are probably a few posts that do this, which he'll find, and that will be proof in the same way that an immediately corrected tweet from a WaPo reporter is proof that all of MSM is Fake News.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, shader said:

Wouldn’t be surprising for there to be shenanigans both ways. 

4 hours ago, Josie Maran said:

How so?

It's Trump Latin for mea culpa.

15 hours ago, shader said:

I agree with you, it is worth noting, seems like too much of a coincidence. I'm not sure what it would mean if she did alert her husband to what they were finding in doing research on the Trump campaign/Russia connections though. 

Clintons/DNC pay Fusion for research -> Fusion contacts Steele -> Steele uses Russian contacts to find dirt -> Russian contacts indicate Trump campaign may be engaged in illegal activities with Russian agents -> Steele reports these findings to Fusion...

What's the right thing for Fusion, or Ohr's wife to do then? Wouldn't we expect them to alert the FBI at this point? Wouldn't that be their responsibility as U.S. citizens?

If there was impropriety in some way with Ohr and his wife, it should be investigated, and they should be charged if they committed crimes. But that is apart and separate from whether the allegations in the information that was collected are true.

If the Trump campaign, and people working on it, are guilty of illegal acts they should be charged and sentenced. In that regard it doesn't matter one whit how their transgressions were brought to light.

3 hours ago, Norman Paperman said:

Dems will :rant::hot:

GOPs will :coffee:  :yawn:

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said there would be holy hell to pay if he fired Mueller. There would be an avalanche of GOP Senators that would go along with him. McCain, Corker, Collins etc

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/30/lindsey-graham-there-will-be-holy-hell-to-pay-if-trump-fires-mueller.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lazyike said:

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said there would be holy hell to pay if he fired Mueller. There would be an avalanche of GOP Senators that would go along with him. McCain, Corker, Collins etc

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/30/lindsey-graham-there-will-be-holy-hell-to-pay-if-trump-fires-mueller.html

I think it would be a disastrous move (ask Nixon) but I'm not sure an avalanche will occur. So far the Republicans have strongly backed Trump with few exceptions.Many of them talk a good game but when the game is on the line they fall right into the party line.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, lazyike said:

That's from October. He made the loyalty pledge this weekend over golf.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

Bad feeling Congress don't do ####

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

ok but who's going to investigate the investigator of the investigator?

of course it's orchestrated as this is the only defense since Flynn is the epicenter and everyone knows it's directly in the WH now.....

If you listen to State News TV the only people qualified to investigate Trump are Republicans (we'll just ignore the fact Mueller is a Republican since none of this makes sense anyway). I'm guessing then there would be no outrage if Democrats insisted the only ones qualified to investigate their party are other Democrats.

• Like 3

Nothing-burgers.

Zack Fink‏Verified account @ZackFinkNews

FollowFollow @ZackFinkNews

More

Attorney for @Credico2016 has sent a letter to Congress saying his client will take the 5th Friday. Credico had been called to testify before House Intelligence Committee as part of the probe into Russia and the 2016 election.

10:46 AM - 12 Dec 2017

1 hour ago, lazyike said:

...which means absolutely nothing unless the House votes to impeach.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

...which means absolutely nothing unless the House votes to impeach.

Been doing a reread of A Song of Ice And Fire - the phrase that comes to mind here is "words are wind." And man, Martin really loves that particular turn of phrase.

• Like 2

Congress could reinstate the Office of Independent Counsel and appoint Mueller.  Senate Republicans have suggested that's what they'd do if he were fired by Trump but I'm dubious.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

I agree with you, it is worth noting, seems like too much of a coincidence. I'm not sure what it would mean if she did alert her husband to what they were finding in doing research on the Trump campaign/Russia connections though. 

Clintons/DNC pay Fusion for research -> Fusion contacts Steele -> Steele uses Russian contacts to find dirt -> Russian contacts indicate Trump campaign may be engaged in illegal activities with Russian agents -> Steele reports these findings to Fusion...

What's the right thing for Fusion, or Ohr's wife to do then? Wouldn't we expect them to alert the FBI at this point? Wouldn't that be their responsibility as U.S. citizens?

If there was impropriety in some way with Ohr and his wife, it should be investigated, and they should be charged if they committed crimes. But that is apart and separate from whether the allegations in the information that was collected are true.

If the Trump campaign, and people working on it, are guilty of illegal acts they should be charged and sentenced. In that regard it doesn't matter one whit how their transgressions were brought to light.

Steele also directly contacted the FBI.  One thing that gets conveniently ignored is that Steele grew frustrated because the FBI would not act on the dossier because of the political implications.  That's why he started contacting media sources (the Times, who never published it, in September and David Corn with Mother Jones in October).  He had started sharing the memos with elements in the FBI in early August, but Comey reportedly saw it for the first time in December when Mc Cain gave it to him.

• Like 2