What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (14 Viewers)

I don't know who this woman is - she sounds like a professor or academic of some kind in a non foreign affairs field - but she seems to have done some damn good shoework:

Caroline O.‏ @RVAwonk

#Sessions met w/ Kislyak for the 2nd time on Sept. 8. I did a LexisNexis search to see what was going on at that time. Here we go... 1/

Three days before #Sessions met w/Kislyak in September [Sept. 5], Obama met w/Putin at the G20 summit. .. 2/

At the G20 summit, Obama & Putin discussed sanctions that US imposed on Sept 1, which Putin said were inconsistent w/future cooperation. 3/

On Sept 7, Dir. of National Intelligence James Clapper publicly suggested for the first time that Russia was behind the DNC hack. 4/

Then, on Sept. 8 - the day of the #Sessions/Kislyak meeting - Trump told a Russian TV network he didn't think Russia was behind the hack. 5/ [Note - Russia Today interview]

The same day (9/8) that #Sessions met w/Kislyak, Trump suggested it would be "wonderful" if we had a relationship with Russia... 6/ [Note this is a RFE interview]

Also on the same day (9/8) that #Sessions met w/Kislyak, both Trump AND Pence heaped praise on Putin & his leadership style. 7/ [NYT interview]

So at the start of the wk, Russia wasn't optimistic abt cooperation. After #Sessions-Kislyak mtg, that changed, 9/

And then, 5 days after [Sept. 13]  #Sessions-Kislyak meeting, guess what happened? Hacked DNC emails were released. 10/

- Links and sources are here.

Nice work IMO.

- The G20 meeting was the famous Obama-Putin staredown.

- So, Obama says no-go on lowering the sanctions.

Then Clapper announces the Russian connection to the hacks.

Then next day Trump is on three different interviews with distribution in Russia, Europe and the US to tamp down Russian concerns.

And the same day Sessions meets with the Russian ambassador.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/breaking-down-why-jeff-sessions-recused-himself-from-russian-investigation/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=35070426

Eric O’Neill, a former counterintelligence officer for the FBI, who now works for the cybersecurity firm Carbon Black, says everyone at the Russian embassy is part of the Kremlin’s spy network.

“There has to be that understanding that you’re not just talking to a politician or a diplomat, you are talking to someone who will feed into intelligence,” O’Neill says. 

We now know other Trump associates also met with Kislyak either during or after the campaign.

They include Michael Flynn, adviser Carter Page, and Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. The White House described the Kushner meeting as an “inconsequential hello.”

I don't know - it really depends on Russia's end game here.  Destabilizing the US is not the end game- its just one piece on the board.

I think people should be thinking about this from Russia's perspective, and try to understand where they are going here.  Its unlikely to be much of a land grab - they already grabbed the important piece - Crimea.

I have to think there is really only one of two possible motives here.  First, seems petty, but can not be ruled out.  That would be to see the US suffer the same type of economic consequences Russia suffered at the end of the Cold War - pure revenge angle.

The second, and probably more likely, motive is Russia is positioning itself to be a world economic super power.  Russia seems to be moving pieces in place to exploit its gas and oil resources.  They need a few things to fall their way - namely the US to remove sanctions to allow western countries in to harvest more oil.  Russia also wants to corner the market on gas supplies to Europe - via its ports in Crimea, Syria, and with a pipeline through a now friendly Turkey.  I think Russia still wants to move OPEC off the US$, but does not yet have the clout.  That is where an increased Russian presence and a US in disarray could be a factor.  If that all happened, Russia and China would be the major global players, and Europe and Asia would have to fall in line with their leadership.

So - why would Russia interfere in the election?  Why would they leave breadcrumbs if they simply wanted to influence the election via wiki-leaks.  Outside of owing money to Russia Oligarchs/Putin/Mafia - why would Trump get involved, other than taking advantage of the leaks?

A lot of questions, and I doubt we get satisfactory answers to many of them. 
I think Putin's goal (aside from personal enrichment) is to Make Russia Great Again.  Russia is a very proud nation, used to being a world superpower and suffering in near humiliation for the last twenty odd years as they've fallen out of power.  Takimg Crimea, having a weak/distracted/(if not complicit) US, a weakened NATO, EU destabilization, higher oil prices, access to Middle East oil and other factors all help to fuel that resurgence to prominence.

I think the miscalculation may be that much of the world is happy to have a weak Russia after seeing what happened under the Soviet Union.  Europe, China and even many countries in the Middle East, I'm sure, have their eyes and ears on Russia.

I don't know who this woman is - she sounds like a professor or academic of some kind in a non foreign affairs field - but she seems to have done some damn good shoework:

Caroline O.‏ @RVAwonk

#Sessions met w/ Kislyak for the 2nd time on Sept. 8. I did a LexisNexis search to see what was going on at that time. Here we go... 1/

Three days before #Sessions met w/Kislyak in September [Sept. 5], Obama met w/Putin at the G20 summit. .. 2/

At the G20 summit, Obama & Putin discussed sanctions that US imposed on Sept 1, which Putin said were inconsistent w/future cooperation. 3/

On Sept 7, Dir. of National Intelligence James Clapper publicly suggested for the first time that Russia was behind the DNC hack. 4/

Then, on Sept. 8 - the day of the #Sessions/Kislyak meeting - Trump told a Russian TV network he didn't think Russia was behind the hack. 5/ [Note - Russia Today interview]

The same day (9/8) that #Sessions met w/Kislyak, Trump suggested it would be "wonderful" if we had a relationship with Russia... 6/ [Note this is a RFE interview]

Also on the same day (9/8) that #Sessions met w/Kislyak, both Trump AND Pence heaped praise on Putin & his leadership style. 7/ [NYT interview]

So at the start of the wk, Russia wasn't optimistic abt cooperation. After #Sessions-Kislyak mtg, that changed, 9/

And then, 5 days after [Sept. 13]  #Sessions-Kislyak meeting, guess what happened? Hacked DNC emails were released. 10/

- Links and sources are here.

Nice work IMO.

- The G20 meeting was the famous Obama-Putin staredown.

- So, Obama says no-go on lowering the sanctions.

Then Clapper announces the Russian connection to the hacks.

Then next day Trump is on three different interviews with distribution in Russia, Europe and the US to tamp down Russian concerns.

And the same day Sessions meets with the Russian ambassador.
This is good work.

I think there is a megafraction more meat on this story than the Jeff Sessions story (up until the point where the stories can be tied to one another).
Yep and that point is Carter Page.
When Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak traveled to the GOP convention last summer, he met with then Sen. Jeff Sessions, as well as with two other Trump campaign advisers, including oil industry consultant Carter Page.

Page, at the time an unpaid foreign policy adviser to Trump, engaged in a conversation with the ambassador at the same July 20 luncheon in Cleveland where Sessions, now attorney general, and Kislyak chatted, according to J.D. Gordon, a national security adviser to the Trump campaign who was also present at the lunch.

Page declined to comment Thursday about what he and the Russian ambassador discussed, saying it was a private, off-the-record conversation. "Everyone assumes everything is nefarious!" Page said a text message.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/carter-page-russian-ambassador-meeting-235626

Gordon, a retired Navy commander, said Page and Kislyak spoke at some length about how to improve relations between the two countries on issues like counterterrorism and energy security. "Carter told him we should have a new chapter of U.S.-Russia relations that build on mutual respect and common goals and that there is no need to keep up this hostility," Gordon said. "He said we should have better relations with Russia."

He added that Kislyek suggested the two countries should share intelligence "so that we don’t have problems like the Tsarnaev brothers," the Chechen-Americans who set off two pressure-cooker bombs at the 2013 Boston Marathon, more than a year after Russia tried to warn U.S. officials about one of them.
Well, duh.

Officially, Page's role was "advising Mr. Trump on energy policy and Russia," according to a campaign release at the time. Throughout the spring and summer, Page sent policy memos to the campaign and kept in contact with Trump’s national security advisory board, including Sessions, Gordon said. "He wanted access to Trump, he wanted his policy memos to be reflected in Trump speeches, he was always calling. And he wanted to go to Russia, which we thought was a bad idea," he added.

He said Page was denied permission for that trip from some campaign officials but went anyway after others in the campaign approved the trip, though he was told he could not represent the campaign.
"Don't let them know you're with the campaign. Wear sunglasses or something. Nobody will know."

So, what are we to make of Comey withholding from congressional inquiries?  Collusion/cahoots with DOJ/Trump or not wanting to compromise investigation of *big* #### going down involving lots of big-time folks?

So, what are we to make of Comey withholding from congressional inquiries?  Collusion/cahoots with DOJ/Trump or not wanting to compromise investigation of *big* #### going down involving lots of big-time folks?
Purely a guess but I'd bet on the former.

Gotta love Tucker Carlson. He's talking about Bakers who refused to make cakes for same sex couples.  Way to be hard hitting, Tucker. 
I caught a little of his show earlier, he had a female reporter on that just came back Sweden. Seems there's a pretty big problem with refugees there that isn't being reported on. At least according to her

Generally the feds wait until they can really nail someone. But this comey guy seems like hes under trumps thumb. Even though he was appointed by obama so how knows

Straining credibility here to the point of breaking that Trump was not involved in communications with Russia during the campaign.  

Nearly every...single...person...around him has been publicly shown, many times after trying to hide the fact, that they indeed had interactions with russians.  This is just insane.

At what point does FOX just switch over to the old placard of the dog pulling the television plug out of the outlet with the title "SORRY...WE'RE EXPERIENCING TEMPORARY DIFFICULTIES"  for primetime?

That would be less embarrasing that the #### that they've been showing....and we still have Hannity to go.*

* Although I do think that he'll stem the tide of this Sessions/Russian thing with his repeating of the phrase "Al Frankenstein"......

ETA: HITS US WITH IT....2 MINUTES INTO IN "OPEN MONOLOGUE", HANNITY IS ABOUT AS FRESH AND ORIGINAL AS A FOGHAT CONCERT!.......

At what point does FOX just switch over to the old placard of the dog pulling the television plug out of the outlet with the title "SORRY...WE'RE EXPERIENCING TEMPORARY DIFFICULTIES"  for primetime?

That would be less embarrasing that the #### that they've been showing....and we still have Hannity to go.*

* Although I do think that he'll stem the tide of this Sessions/Russian thing with his repeating of the phrase "Al Frankenstein"......

ETA: HITS US WITH IT....2 MINUTES INTO IN "OPEN MONOLOGUE", HANNITY IS ABOUT AS FRESH AND ORIGINAL AS A FOGHAT CONCERT!.......
Carlson had Sessions on

:shrug:

I'm not gonna link it but the Brietbart explain this morning is in context Franken was asking Sessions if there was a continuous dialogue between the Trump Campaign and Russia. The story concluded AG Sessions was being truthful when he answered no.
Whelp, that's good enough for me.  Let's get back to that wall, folks.

i am leaning towards the latter here..

For an old man, can you explain these words?
@realDonaldTrump tweetstorm about an hour ago:

Jeff Sessions is an honest man. He did not say anything wrong. He could have stated his response more accurately, but it was clearly not....

...intentional. This whole narrative is a way of saving face for Democrats losing an election that everyone thought they were supposed.....

...intentional. This whole narrative is a way of saving face for Democrats losing an election that everyone thought they were supposed.....

...is all of the illegal leaks of classified and other information. It is a total "witch hunt!"

I'm of the mind that if Trump is forced out, the Russia stink will stick to Pence as well.  At this point, everyone involved in the campaign is tainted.  
The stink is there, but I think Pence is probably the freshest turd.  And he is a monstrous turd.

i am leaning towards the latter here..
Yeah...I lean more that way as well since there is no telling what came up in the F1SA warrants.  For all we know one of the Trump guys is already saved his bacon and working for them on the inside (they do this a lot in insider trading cases/mob stuff).

I'd also add the Sessions story source was the "Justice Department".  The only people besides Sessions lackies that could possibly know about it would be FBI/IC guys watching Kislyak.  Shocking that they would be doing their jobs.

I'm not gonna link it but the Brietbart explain this morning is in context Franken was asking Sessions if there was a continuous dialogue between the Trump Campaign and Russia. The story concluded AG Sessions was being truthful when he answered no.
Whelp, that's good enough for me.  Let's get back to that wall, folks.
That talking point has appeared in at least one post here today.

Users who are viewing this thread