Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whoknew

The Russia Investigation: Trump Commutes Stone's Sentence

7 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

I feel like this quote from Stone:

Is a pretty obvious indication that Trump did something illegal, right?

Not sure I trust anything Stone has to say.  But yeah, if there is nothing to hide there shouldn't be any issues with speaking up.

2 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Most corrupt admin in our history.

Not that it would matter at all to any Trumper but just one more reason in a long list why I would never vote for Trump

1 hour ago, Biff84 said:

Roger must have told him he’d start talking if he even saw a prison cell.

Trump makes it clear that if you commit crimes that help him out, he will take care of you. He might need more people to lie, cheat, steal for him this election season.

• Like 2

I have a suspicion that Trump is going to end up “winning” in November, under extremely unsettling circumstances. If that happens, I know people talk about it, but we’re making arrangements to leave the country formerly known as the United States. It’s currently under the thumb of a dictator, and four more years will seal the end of the Republic.

If you simply observe what’s occurring, it’s quite clear Trump is aware of his criminality and is obstructing multiple state prosecutions by installing cronies. This kind of rampant abuse of power was never supposed to happen here, and yet here it is. 

Top candidates for our family are Ireland and New Zealand. Luckily, I have a job where relocating is an option, and will execute the option if Trump isn’t ousted.

• Like 2

Bold words, Ham.

My wife just turned down a job offer in Geneva Ruth the WHO.  Hopefully we don't regret that in November.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

I have a suspicion that Trump is going to end up “winning” in November, under extremely unsettling circumstances. If that happens, I know people talk about it, but we’re making arrangements to leave the country formerly known as the United States. It’s currently under the thumb of a dictator, and four more years will seal the end of the Republic.

If you simply observe what’s occurring, it’s quite clear Trump is aware of his criminality and is obstructing multiple state prosecutions by installing cronies. This kind of rampant abuse of power was never supposed to happen here, and yet here it is. 

Top candidates for our family are Ireland and New Zealand. Luckily, I have a job where relocating is an option, and will execute the option if Trump isn’t ousted.

At some point he will realize that the presidency is the only thing preventing legal consequences that he won’t be able to escape as a private citizen. All bets are off at that point. He might cheat to win, refuse to leave if he loses or resigning to allow Pence to pardon him. The chances of him losing and leaving without a fight are probably the lowest.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Summer said:

I wonder if Trump commutes the sentence if his poll numbers were closer.

I think you missed it, the real polls show Trump is up big. He told us via Twitter this week that the ones we see on TV are fake. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shader said:

Cliff notes on what Stone did? 

Really no big deal....just threatened a witness by texting him “prepare to die”.  Lied to Congress 7 times. Stone today.... “He knows I was under enormous pressure to turn on him,” Mr. Stone told the journalist Howard Fineman on Friday shortly before the announcement. “It would have eased my situation considerably. But I didn’t.”

• Thanks 1

From the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Commmittee: 

"Imy view it would be justified if President @realDonaldTrump decided to commute Roger Stone's prison sentence. Mr. Stone is in his 70s and this was a non-violent, first-time offense."

A jury unanimously convicted Stone of lying to and obstructing Congress. And Stone is 67, not in his 70s. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

we’re making arrangements to leave the country formerly known as the United States. 

Just ride it out and vote for the other candidate the next time.  I see this as a victory for Trump supporters making the op leave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biff84 said:

At some point he will realize that the presidency is the only thing preventing legal consequences that he won’t be able to escape as a private citizen. All bets are off at that point. He might cheat to win, refuse to leave if he loses or resigning to allow Pence to pardon him. The chances of him losing and leaving without a fight are probably the lowest.

I agree with this, and he will be supported and enabled in his unconstitutional efforts, because our laws and institutions don’t matter anymore to enough Republicans to threaten one of our very fundamental norms, which is one of the great legacies of George Washington himself... a peaceful transition. If we come to this, it’s because the will of the people has been replaced by a despot. And up to 45% of the nation will shrug it off or support it, because of however Tucker Carlson spins it.

1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Just ride it out and vote for the other candidate the next time.  I see this as a victory for Trump supporters making the op leave.

I’m prepared to concede to them. I don’t want to live in a country where enough people don’t see Donald Trump for what he is to ensure we definitely turn the page and rip it out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Romney summed it up nicely:

Unprecedented, historic corruption:  an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Trey said:

Romney summed it up nicely:

Unprecedented, historic corruption:  an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president.

Obviously. Been away for awhile. Has one single Trump supporter acknowledged that Trump has abandoned any pretense that he’s not corruptly conspiring to hide his criminality?

I mean, this is the same crew that generally freaked out at every imagined or perceived action of Obama as part of a grand conspiracy to seize power.

And yet here Stone says he was under tremendous pressure to turn on Trump, and that he expected to be rewarded for not doing so. And he was, a couple days removed when Vindman was pushed out for telling the truth.

Meanwhile, Barr is removing prosecutors leading probable cases involving Trump corruption, and installing yes men. Forget party politics. This is unAmerican in every sense, and yet has a single of the remaining Trump supporters given one inch, or do they simply cover their ears and :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 2

This is probably the least shocking thing he's done...completely predictable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Wonder if this is concerning to Susan Collins?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Obviously. Been away for awhile. Has one single Trump supporter acknowledged that Trump has abandoned any pretense that he’s not corruptly conspiring to hide his criminality?

I mean, this is the same crew that generally freaked out at every imagined or perceived action of Obama as part of a grand conspiracy to seize power.

And yet here Stone says he was under tremendous pressure to turn on Trump, and that he expected to be rewarded for not doing so. And he was, a couple days removed when Vindman was pushed out for telling the truth.

Meanwhile, Barr is removing prosecutors leading probable cases involving Trump corruption, and installing yes men. Forget party politics. This is unAmerican in every sense, and yet has a single of the remaining Trump supporters given one inch, or do they simply cover their ears and :lmao::lmao::lmao:

They. Don't. Care.

• Thanks 2

Why does the president have these powers? What is the point of it? Aside from trump I always thought it was totally ridiculous. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jm192 said:

Unbelievable.

jm, You’re one of the more centered Trump “supporters” here. I’d love your thoughts on this. Are actions like this something that would sway your vote?  

* I quoted supporters here because if I remember correctly you voted for him in the past and have considered voting for him this time.  

11 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

From the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Commmittee: 

"Imy view it would be justified if President @realDonaldTrump decided to commute Roger Stone's prison sentence. Mr. Stone is in his 70s and this was a non-violent, first-time offense."

A jury unanimously convicted Stone of lying to and obstructing Congress. And Stone is 67, not in his 70s. 

Smells like some projection going on

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

No doubt,  it that doesn’t make it any less egregious.  

On 7/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, Widbil83 said:

Most of us (not the media or posters here of course) knew this to begin with. Gotta really burn up the Democrats and neocons that Colin Powell took a liquid dump on them here. 

Why was  @ren hoek post deleted? 

43 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

No doubt,  it that doesn’t make it any less egregious.  

Of course not....I think we can finally scratch "law and order" off the list of things the GOP is allegedly "all about".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Of course not....I think we can finally scratch "law and order" off the list of things the GOP is allegedly "all about".

The Democrats scratched that off their list about 50 years ago.

But, of course, I disagree with your assertion to begin with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:
9 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Neither side gives a #### about it when it comes to their own party. It’s all about power, plain and simple.  They are opposing sides of the same coin.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Sure....has nothing to do with the GOP jumping the shark here.  I'm hearing a lot of "but the Democrats" in these threads.  That's not unexpected...every time there is a shift in leadership the side that was in control always goes to "but the other guy...." shtick when the shoe's on the other foot.  What's different this time around is I see the GOP and it's supporters dusting off that excuse early and often.  The election's not even happened and you're already knee deep in it.  I don't think for a single second that if say Bill Clinton admitted under oath to shady stuff out on the tarmac and was facing jail time and Obama goes and pardons him that you'd "disagree with my assessment" when I said the same thing about him.  There's a myriad of people in these threads currently looking the other way who would be pounding the crap out of the "like" button.....you included.  

Just now, dkp993 said:

Neither side gives a #### about it when it comes to their own party. It’s all about power, plain and simple.  They are opposing sides of the same coin.  

Bingo :goodposting: 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I think you missed it, the real polls show Trump is up big. He told us via Twitter this week that the ones we see on TV are fake. 

Some reports during this pandemic more Trumplican/ Republicans are registering than Democrats . Get those friends and family who plan on voting for Biden registered and if possible do the mail in ballot option if you live in urban areas with dense populations. Your polling places are going to be so busy that many will stay home with long lines  In November, and that is what a Trump is counting on. I don’t care what any poll says I believe that too many Trump haters will stay home in November and he will be re-elected. I am tempted right now to place money on it in Las Vegas.

Edited by lazyike

40 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Banana Republic. 

:goodposting:Nothing stopping Trump from having someone take out his opponents and if caught pardon them.  Neat country.

Michael Beschloss @BeschlossDC · 3m

NBC News: Barr recommended to Trump that Stone’s sentence not be commuted.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Michael Beschloss @BeschlossDC · 3m

NBC News: Barr recommended to Trump that Stone’s sentence not be commuted.

Theater. Barr would resign if it weren’t. He won’t.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dkp993 said:

jm, You’re one of the more centered Trump “supporters” here. I’d love your thoughts on this. Are actions like this something that would sway your vote?  

* I quoted supporters here because if I remember correctly you voted for him in the past and have considered voting for him this time.  

I won't lose sleep over Stone skipping jail.  California is talking about letting thousands of prisoners out to prevent COVID-19 spread.  As far as dangers to society go, he's at the bottom of the list.

But man, what a humungous $hit on our Justice system.  You can't pardon your buddy, regardless of how badly you feel he was set up.  You can't pardon a guy whose alleged crime is lying to cover for you.  I know people are heeing and hawing that this wasn't a surprise. 

I've been trending away from Trump for a while.  Honestly, if I didn't have such disdain for high level Democrats, it would be so much easier to turn on Trump.  In 2016, Trump was the lesser of two evils.  Sadly, in 2020, Biden will be the lesser of two evils.  Beats the hell out of Bernie/Warren. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, dozer said:

It’s embarrassing that anyone who claims to love America would believe this pack of lies.

For what it's worth, I think putting 67 year old's in jail over this during a pandemic--while we're talking about releasing criminals that are already jailed--is the wrong move.  If we're putting young criminals with worse crimes free--Stone's probably not any more of a risk to society than those people.

But man it bothers me on so many levels that the President is going to go and free his buddy.  Unacceptable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I won't lose sleep over Stone skipping jail.  California is talking about letting thousands of prisoners out to prevent COVID-19 spread.  As far as dangers to society go, he's at the bottom of the list.

But man, what a humungous $hit on our Justice system.  You can't pardon your buddy, regardless of how badly you feel he was set up.  You can't pardon a guy whose alleged crime is lying to cover for you.  I know people are heeing and hawing that this wasn't a surprise. 

I've been trending away from Trump for a while.  Honestly, if I didn't have such disdain for high level Democrats, it would be so much easier to turn on Trump.  In 2016, Trump was the lesser of two evils.  Sadly, in 2020, Biden will be the lesser of two evils.  Beats the hell out of Bernie/Warren. 

Well said.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The op-ed will be another reminder that the Russia investigation was anything but a hoax.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Bill Kristol

"In Donald Trump's world Roger Stone is rewarded for lying and Lt. Col Vindman is punished for telling the truth"

Edited by lazyike
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Bill Kristol

"In Donald Trump's world Roger Stone is rewarded for lying and Lt. Col Vindman is punished for telling the truth"

And Stone is somehow a patriot while Vindman is a traitor.  Unreal.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, jm192 said:

Kudos to you.  I know many Trump supporters IRL and obviously some folks here.  I’ve lost all respect for the ones who don’t speak up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, zoonation said:

The op-ed will be another reminder that the Russia investigation was anything but a hoax.  

Sure it was.  It will be a reminder how low the Democrats stooped to overthrow a legitimate elected POTUS.

I'm sure it won't be the lowest, though.  We've seen and will see more despicable behavior from them in the future, especially if Trump gets re-elected.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 3

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Democrats stooped to overthrow a legitimate elected POTUS.

Remind me again the date the Democrats named Robert Mueller special counsel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1