What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (7 Viewers)

This thing is so toxic to the mainstream media that they'll ignore it until Hillary gets dragged into court.  Because of that you'll see right leaning, Fox, and maybe some middle of the road (WSJ, etc.) give this some coverage.

I look forward to seeing the court papers that back this up and not concern myself so much with who is covering it.  
Do you want to wager on Hillary "getting dragged into court"?  I'll give you 5:1 odds.

No argument there.  I do think that legacy media will fade anything that comes out here, though. 
You think AP/Reuters types will not report actual indictments?

CNN, MSNBC maybe will downplay.

ABC, NBC, CBS...they will report actual indictments if they are high up.

dozer said:
First!! Read the Governments Motion I linked above. IT IS the document in question. Not some partisan hacks version of it. (Durham is biased, but I would stop short of calling him a hack)

Then read this ridiculous statement by Kash Patel. Patel is a Trump pardon recipient, who played a key role in US national security for the entirety of the Trump Administration.

Then, please, I’m begging you, read this article from Marcy Wheeler as she calmly explains that statements like:

“… the Hillary Campaign, ordered … lawyers at Perkins Coie to orchestrate a criminal enterprise to fabricate a connection between President Trump and Russia.” 

…are absurdly false.

Then, please read this short twitter thread on the technology involved. This is really where the rubber hits the road in the outlandish accusations going on right now.
 Welcome to two days ago…

Reuters Article FEBRUARY 7, 2019

The Aug. 2, 2016 meeting between Manafort and Konstantin Kilimnik was one of several at which the two discussed a topic related to Ukraine, according to the transcript of a sealed Feb. 4 court hearing in Manafort’s criminal case in Washington.

Mueller contends that Manafort lied about the number of times he and Kilimnik discussed the topic, the description of which is mostly redacted in the transcript.

Judging by previous court filings the topic at issue appears to be a “Ukrainian peace plan” that was reportedly aimed at lifting U.S. sanctions on Russia - long an important objective of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s government.

--

From Marcy Wheeler at emptywheel (Twitter Thread)

"Lots of people are forgetting a key detail about the August 2, 2016 meeting between Trump's campaign manager and a Russian spy."

YES, Manafort told Kilimnik how Trump planned to win the swing states.

YES, Manafort took the meeting expecting $20M in benefit for him personally.

But the TRADE was that Manafort would help Kilimnik carve up Ukraine.

How to get Trump elected

How to make Manafort solvent

How to carve up Ukraine

Here's the SSCI Report on the "peace plan."

Emptywheel Article, December 9, 2019

Trump "cares" About Corruption in Ukraine Becuase it Ensures Paul Manafort Will Keep his Secrets...

Remember a couple of years ago when we learned that the Trump Campaign clearly, plainly, and obviously colluded with the Russians during the 2016 election?

Now Trumps head colluder and Campaign Manager, Paul Manafort, has been denied boarding a flight to Dubai, and had (one of) his passport revoked.

“Officials with Miami-Dade police confirmed that Manafort was denied travel by the Customs and Bureau Protection at Miami International Airport. Police said he could not take the flight and his U.S. Passport was revoked.”

A Republican-led Senate group found that Manafort was a “grave counterintelligence threat,” according to USA Today. He had longstanding ties to people affiliated with Russian intelligence and had a willingness to share information with them during the 2016 presidential race.”

“The panel found that Manafort’s presence on the campaign created opportunities for Russian intelligence to have influence over and inquire information about the Trump campaign.”

Dubai, where Syria’s Bashar Al-Assad visited last week. 

Dubai, where multiple Russian oligarch jets and yachts fled over the past few weeks. 

Remember a couple of years ago when we learned that the Trump Campaign clearly, plainly, and obviously colluded with the Russians during the 2016 election?

Now Trumps head colluder and Campaign Manager, Paul Manafort, has been denied boarding a flight to Dubai, and had (one of) his passport revoked.

“Officials with Miami-Dade police confirmed that Manafort was denied travel by the Customs and Bureau Protection at Miami International Airport. Police said he could not take the flight and his U.S. Passport was revoked.”

A Republican-led Senate group found that Manafort was a “grave counterintelligence threat,” according to USA Today. He had longstanding ties to people affiliated with Russian intelligence and had a willingness to share information with them during the 2016 presidential race.”

“The panel found that Manafort’s presence on the campaign created opportunities for Russian intelligence to have influence over and inquire information about the Trump campaign.”

Dubai, where multiple Russian oligarch jets and yachts fled over the past few weeks. 

Only the best people....

Just working on his tan.

Fitting he is trying to travel to the scam capital of the world. 

This is a weird story.  Trying to fly on a revoked passport is dumb enough to think he'd never try it.  And if he were desperate I'd guess he has enough money and Best Quality Vacuum options that he wouldn't need to use a revoked passport. 

I thought claiming an election was stolen was lunatic conspiracy theory territory. 

Oh. Then the evidence of the 2020 election is just as credible as yours. So we're good to move on then as both were stolen then right?
No…there is no such evidence for 2020.  In addition…there can be collusion without having it affected the outcome.

IMO, Mueller laid out plenty of evidence of collusion by members of the Trump campaign.  But nothing that affected the outcome of the election at all.  Still really bad, still made those who acted poorly basically criminals…and should make Trump both unfit for office again and should disqualify him from holding office again.

IMO, Mueller laid out plenty of evidence of collusion by members of the Trump campaign.
I don't think Mueller would agree with that characterization. The Russians illegally interfered in the election, and the Trump campaign welcomed the interference, but that's different from colluding with (or conspiring with) the Russians. The Trump campaign didn't take affirmative steps to knowingly help the Russians interfere, as far as Mueller was able to conclude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Mueller would agree with that characterization. The Russians illegally interfered in the election, and the Trump campaign welcomed the interference, but that's different from colluding with (or conspiring with) the Russians. The Trump campaign didn't take affirmative steps to knowingly help the Russians interfere, as far as Mueller was able to conclude.
Fair enough.  I read into it to where i felt he laid out enough of that connection.  I did not mean to infer Mueller concluded that...he didn't.  But to me he showed enough of a connection.

No…there is no such evidence for 2020.  In addition…there can be collusion without having it affected the outcome.

IMO, Mueller laid out plenty of evidence of collusion by members of the Trump campaign.  But nothing that affected the outcome of the election at all.  Still really bad, still made those who acted poorly basically criminals…and should make Trump both unfit for office again and should disqualify him from holding office again.
The evidence of 2020 collusion is just as real as 2016. But I get it. Go team and all. 

IMO, Mueller laid out plenty of evidence of collusion by members of the Trump campaign.
Mueller:

“The president was not exculpated for the acts that he allegedly committed,” Mueller told the House judiciary committee, adding that Trump could theoretically be indicted after he leaves office.

“We did not address ‘collusion,’ which is not a legal term,” Mueller added. “Rather, we focused on whether the evidence was sufficient to charge any member of the campaign with taking part in a criminal conspiracy. It was not.”

****************************************************************************************************************

Seems to me that Mueller is saying there isn't sufficient evidence to charge conspiracy. The claim that he laid out some evidence of conspiracy (collusion) in Sho Nuff's post doesn't seem inconsistent with these others statements. Happy to see where that thinking is wrong.

Mueller:

“The president was not exculpated for the acts that he allegedly committed,” Mueller told the House judiciary committee, adding that Trump could theoretically be indicted after he leaves office.

“We did not address ‘collusion,’ which is not a legal term,” Mueller added. “Rather, we focused on whether the evidence was sufficient to charge any member of the campaign with taking part in a criminal conspiracy. It was not.”

****************************************************************************************************************

Seems to me that Mueller is saying there isn't sufficient evidence to charge conspiracy. The claim that he laid out some evidence of conspiracy (collusion) in Sho Nuff's post doesn't seem inconsistent with these others statements. Happy to see where that thinking is wrong.
I don't think Mueller laid out evidence of conspiracy (by the Trump campaign). He laid out evidence of obstruction.

What would you call claiming that a presidential candidate colluded with outside interference during an election?
It's a claim of collusion. Its a claim that DJT and his campaign were ready and willing to accept dirt on the opposition. This is proven by the fact that a meeting occured in which several attendees from DJT's campaign admitted to Mueller they were expecting to receive dirt on Clinton. It's not a claim that the election in 2016 was stolen.

Another point of contention I have is that DJT outright asked for outside interference from the Ukrainian president in the form of dirt being thrown on his next opponent while threatening to withhold congressionally approved military aid in the run-up to the 2020 election. A transcript of the recorded phone call exists to prove this occured. 

He didn't even get a slap on the wrist the first time so it's no surprise he attempted it again. The shame of it is, he was rightfully impeached for his actions the second time but Republicans in the Senate failed to hold him accountable. 

Of course of course. Technically none of the 2020 has been disproven either then by your standard. 
It absolutely has been disproven over and over again by the standards of the US Justice Department and many judges whom DJT himself appointed. 60+ court cases lost, to date, say otherwise. The next time there is proof the Democrats stole the 2020 election it will be the very first time. 

Keeping in mind that "collusion" is not a crime....

Collusion is just collusion. As in, politicians colluding...

You don't consider the Trump Campaign manager sharing internal polling data with Konstantin Kilimnik, who had long had ties to Russian military intelligence, to be collusive behavior?

Kilimnik was "Person A" Alex Van Der Zwann's Sentancing Memorandum.

NYT: Trump Aide Spoke During Campaign to Associate Tied to Russian Intelligence

"The individual is identified only as “Person A,” and the document describes him as someone who worked for Mr. Gates and Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman, as part of their earlier representation of Russia-aligned parties and politicians in Ukraine, including the former president of Ukraine. A person with knowledge of the matter identified Person A as Konstantin V. Kilimnik, who for years was Mr. Manafort’s right-hand man in Ukraine."

Also...

You don't consider the June 9th, 2016 Trump Tower meeting to be collusive behavior?

The offer:

In his June 3 email to Trump Jr., Rob Goldstone wrote:

Emin (Agalarov) just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting.

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras (Agalarov) this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump – helped along by Aras and Emin.

The Acceptance:

Trump Jr. responded:

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

The Action:

In a June 7 email, it was agreed that the material would be delivered to Trump Jr. by an unnamed "Russian government attorney". At the meeting, Goldstone introduced this person as Moscow-based attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya. She stated that she was not a government official, however she is known to have ties to the Russian government and later described herself as an "informant" to the office of the Russian prosecutor general.

The arranged meeting took place at Trump Tower in the afternoon of June 9, 2016. At least eight people attended.

They tried like hell to conspire, but they were too incompetent to pull it off.

The Atlantic: Donald Trump Jr.'s Email Exchange With Rob Goldstone

NPR: Lawyer Who Met With Trump Jr. Has Ties To Russian Government

FactCheck.Org: What the Mueller Report Says About Russian Contacts

And those are just the easy ones...

Reuters August 18, 2020: Senate committee concludes Russia used Manafort, WikiLeaks to boost Trump in 2016.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Russia used Republican political operative Paul Manafort and the WikiLeaks website to try to help now-U.S. President Donald Trump win the 2016 election, a Republican-led Senate committee said in its final review of the matter on Tuesday.

BuzzFeedNews June 19, 2020: New Mueller Report Details: Roger Stone Told Trump In Advance WikiLeaks Would Release Clinton Campaign Emails

"Newly unredacted portions of the Mueller report show that Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, and Michael Cohen told investigators Stone had promised the campaign damaging revelations by WikiLeaks."

Collusion...

You don't consider the Trump Campaign manager sharing internal polling data with Konstantin Kilimnik, who had long had ties to Russian military intelligence, to be collusive behavior?
I'm not saying that there was literally zero evidence of collusion.

But let's compare what Mueller found re conspiracy (call it "collusion" if you want) versus what he found re obstruction of justice.

Mueller identified numerous instances where every element of criminal obstruction by Trump was supported by strong evidence. He wasn't allowed to explicitly conclude that Trump committed a crime (according to the DOJ's interpretation of an old OLC letter) -- but he laid out evidence of all the elements of criminal behavior. It was unmistakable.

He didn't do anything remotely resembling that with conspiracy (or "collusion"). The Russians interfered in two ways: via the social-media troll farm, and via the hack-and-release operation. With regard to the troll farm, Mueller explicitly exonerated the Trump campaign. With regard to the hack-and-release operation, Mueller's findings were inconclusive. He couldn't definitively exonerate the campaign, but neither could he establish any crimes.

That's not laying out evidence of collusion, IMO. If you want to see what laying out evidence looks like, see the section on obstruction, which was very different.

I'm not saying that there was literally zero evidence of collusion.

But let's compare what Mueller found re conspiracy (call it "collusion" if you want) versus what he found re obstruction of justice.

Mueller identified numerous instances where every element of criminal obstruction by Trump was supported by strong evidence. He wasn't allowed to explicitly conclude that Trump committed a crime (according to the DOJ's interpretation of an old OLC letter) -- but he laid out evidence of all the elements of criminal behavior. It was unmistakable.

He didn't do anything remotely resembling that with conspiracy (or "collusion"). The Russians interfered in two ways: via the social-media troll farm, and via the hack-and-release operation. With regard to the troll farm, Mueller explicitly exonerated the Trump campaign. With regard to the hack-and-release operation, Mueller's findings were inconclusive. He couldn't definitively exonerate the campaign, but neither could he establish any crimes.

That's not laying out evidence of collusion, IMO. If you want to see what laying out evidence looks like, see the section on obstruction, which was very different.
Thank you.

I’ve read the Mueller report and the … what… 11 instances of obstruction of justice that Mueller lays out?

I agree, its thorough and indisputable that Trump was guilty of Obstruction.

I prefer to cut through all this by saying that Russia and Trump cooperated to help Trump win the election.  

And I don't care if it was legal or not.  Or whether it was decisive.

Well, ok, I care -- but it's kind of irrelevant when weighing whether someone is fit to be President.

I prefer to cut through all this by saying that Russia and Trump cooperated to help Trump win the election.  

Well, ok, I care -- but it's kind of irrelevant when weighing whether someone is fit to be President.
Agreed.  And it seems to me Trump supporters have gone the way of either denying it in total, or accepting the "cooperation" cause the result was a "W".  Perhaps they also fall into the Russia / Putin sympathizing group. 

It's a claim of collusion. Its a claim that DJT and his campaign were ready and willing to accept dirt on the opposition. This is proven by the fact that a meeting occured in which several attendees from DJT's campaign admitted to Mueller they were expecting to receive dirt on Clinton. It's not a claim that the election in 2016 was stolen.

Another point of contention I have is that DJT outright asked for outside interference from the Ukrainian president in the form of dirt being thrown on his next opponent while threatening to withhold congressionally approved military aid in the run-up to the 2020 election. A transcript of the recorded phone call exists to prove this occured. 

He didn't even get a slap on the wrist the first time so it's no surprise he attempted it again. The shame of it is, he was rightfully impeached for his actions the second time but Republicans in the Senate failed to hold him accountable. 

It absolutely has been disproven over and over again by the standards of the US Justice Department and many judges whom DJT himself appointed. 60+ court cases lost, to date, say otherwise. The next time there is proof the Democrats stole the 2020 election it will be the very first time. 
Court cases thrown out on procedural violations are not disproving the validity. The evidence was never disproven. It was denied because it wasn't filed in time. 

So again same level as Mueller report and all the other proof of the 2016 collusion

Exactly. To continually claim otherwise is disingenuous at best when there is plenty of proof.

This proof is also a blip on the radar when compared to the mounds of other evidence clearly indicating he is unfit to ever hold any political office again. Ever.

Court cases thrown out on procedural violations are not disproving the validity. The evidence was never disproven. It was denied because it wasn't filed in time. 

So again same level as Mueller report and all the other proof of the 2016 collusion
Some cases? Sure, maybe. There were other cases where his own representation admitted in open court that they had no proof. Something doesn't need to be disproven when no proof is provided.

So noble to stand up for the rule of law. So proudly standing up for DOJ investigations.

I’m sure you are equally angered when you reflect on all the lies told, all the justice obstructed, all the laws broken, and the massive deceit to our country that we all witnessed from Donald Trump and his closest allies.

You must be seething still about the 11 cases of obstruction found clearly described in the Mueller Report.

How angry you must have been as Trump and his political team, even as they claimed there was nothing involving Trump and Russia for anyone in federal law enforcement to investigate, often refused to participate in voluntary interviews.

How angry you must be when you reflect on how Hillary Clinton testified all day long on live TV to argue against the accusations against her, when in the case of Donald Trump, we were lucky to get only written answers that he couldn’t be cross examined about, and that also contained lies that could never be addressed.

I bet you were livid when you heard that Steve Bannon, Eric Prince, and Don Jr. destroyed evidence on their phones and defied subpoenas, and were then protect by the DOJ, and the new definition of a joint defense agreement.

When Congress issued a criminal referral to the DOJ charging that Prince willfully mislead Congress, I’ll bet you were up in arms when William Barr refused to seek the truth.

And all those other criminal referrals? Against Jared Kushner, Don Jr., Eric Trump, Bannon, Sam Clovis?  Holy Cow! I’ll bet you were shaking mad when William Barr ignored all these criminal referrals.

Then, how happy and relieved you must have been to find that there is truth in our justice system when criminals Roger Stone, Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn finally were prosecuted and found guilty of many crimes against the United States of America. I can only imagine your dismay and heartbreak when those seditious traitors were pardoned for these crimes we know they committed.

As Durham goes after peripheral characters such as Clinesmith and Michael Sussman, who basically flubbed details that would not have altered the Russia investigation in any way, and now this weak indictment of Danchenko, we are being fed the ridiculous notion that once again there is a massive deep state cabal of criminals lead by….. THE CLINTONS!!!

The indictment against Danchenko attacks precisely NONE of the raw intelligence that Danchenko provided to Steele, though it mentions in passing and WITHOUT PROOF, and as it happens, inaccurately, that much of that intelligence turned out to be incorrect.
Bump.

Isn't Danchenko about all Durham has left?

Going back in this thread is revealing…

Keeping in mind that "collusion" is not a crime....

Collusion is just collusion. As in, politicians colluding...

Kilimnik was "Person A" Alex Van Der Zwann's Sentancing Memorandum.

NYT: Trump Aide Spoke During Campaign to Associate Tied to Russian Intelligence

"The individual is identified only as “Person A,” and the document describes him as someone who worked for Mr. Gates and Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman, as part of their earlier representation of Russia-aligned parties and politicians in Ukraine, including the former president of Ukraine. A person with knowledge of the matter identified Person A as Konstantin V. Kilimnik, who for years was Mr. Manafort’s right-hand man in Ukraine."

Also...

You don't consider the June 9th, 2016 Trump Tower meeting to be collusive behavior?

The offer:

In his June 3 email to Trump Jr., Rob Goldstone wrote:

Emin (Agalarov) just called and asked me to contact you with something very interesting.

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras (Agalarov) this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump – helped along by Aras and Emin.

The Acceptance:

Trump Jr. responded:

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it’s what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

The Action:

In a June 7 email, it was agreed that the material would be delivered to Trump Jr. by an unnamed "Russian government attorney". At the meeting, Goldstone introduced this person as Moscow-based attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya. She stated that she was not a government official, however she is known to have ties to the Russian government and later described herself as an "informant" to the office of the Russian prosecutor general.

The arranged meeting took place at Trump Tower in the afternoon of June 9, 2016. At least eight people attended.

They tried like hell to conspire, but they were too incompetent to pull it off.

The Atlantic: Donald Trump Jr.'s Email Exchange With Rob Goldstone

NPR: Lawyer Who Met With Trump Jr. Has Ties To Russian Government

FactCheck.Org: What the Mueller Report Says About Russian Contacts

And those are just the easy ones...
Bump.

The Trump Campaign bungles one of its MANY attempts to collude with Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread