Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Buddy Ball 2K3

The Joe Rogan Experience

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, beer 30 said:

Good for Joe, I'm not a regular but cherry pick when he has someone other than a comedian on. Does a helluva job IMO, hope the format doesn't take too much of a hit.

Interested to hear him discuss this deal. He's pretty transparent about his money/life. Earned F U money from Fear Factor, been piling it up ever since. Seems like he falls into some pretty sweet deals. Someone said the he'll be the first accidental billionaire. Pretty apt description, maybe not a billion but he's doing pretty damn well.

Quick Google shows varying estimates, probably not more than $50M. Makes $100K per podcast. Not bad for a regular Joe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pipes said:

He's not a hard hitting journalist.  He's a comedian and MMA analyst.  Not sure why you'd expect him to ask tough questions. 

I'm not even saying ask a tough question. I am saying when somebody makes a statement that's supported by flimsy logic, or just patently untrue, inquire further. I get that it's supposed to be more of a "conversation", but if I'm talking to a group of my friends and one of them starts talking about aliens visiting Earth, I don't just take them at their word.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I'm not even saying ask a tough question. I am saying when somebody makes a statement that's supported by flimsy logic, or just patently untrue, inquire further. I get that it's supposed to be more of a "conversation", but if I'm talking to a group of my friends and one of them starts talking about aliens visiting Earth, I don't just take them at their word.

 

Sometimes, that's what makes a particular episode fun.   Like when we go out to eat with my crazy, conspiracy theory uncle and he just starts going off.   The last thing I attempt to do is have a logic conversation with him.   I'm just in it for the entertainment factor.   Some of his best shows have been with that Alex Jones nut.  

Edited by NutterButter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I enjoy him ...hate that I am forced to go to spotify to get him soon ...assuming that also means no more youtube videos?

Think they'll have clips to drive traffic but that's about it.  I'm definitely going to miss the comments section.  Hopefully Spotify doesn't ruin the long form interviews with a bunch of commercials throughout the shows.  That could definitely kill the vibe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good.  I've decided I'm done with Joe this week.  I've been getting increasingly annoyed by my YT feed suggesting me 70% JRE stuff.  But his Covid talk put me over the edge.   He recently was belittling a waiter on the show that served him with a mask on in some steakhouse.  

 

He's just so mediocre, yet so successful right now, I just can't count myself as a supporter anymore. 

 

 

It doesn't sound like he made out very well on this deal though. Spotify recently bought another podcast for like 190million and it had way less listeners.  I think he was worried about being "deplatformed" or w/e by YouTube for saying wildly innacurate stuff about covid. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cockroach said:

Good.  I've decided I'm done with Joe this week.  I've been getting increasingly annoyed by my YT feed suggesting me 70% JRE stuff.  But his Covid talk put me over the edge.   He recently was belittling a waiter on the show that served him with a mask on in some steakhouse.  

 

He's just so mediocre, yet so successful right now, I just can't count myself as a supporter anymore. 

 

 

It doesn't sound like he made out very well on this deal though. Spotify recently bought another podcast for like 190million and it had way less listeners.  I think he was worried about being "deplatformed" or w/e by YouTube for saying wildly innacurate stuff about covid. 

 

 

I'm not sure I'm done with him--but I totally agree with you on his covid talk the past couple of weeks. He talks about it like it's over and it was a giant over reaction when there are lots of people dying from it everyday.   He tries to act dismissive of it--while at the same time he basically does everything in his power to avoid getting it. It gets old and maddening really quick for me.    If I was a waiter working at a restaurant where dozens (if not hundreds of people) were coming it--he should be encouraging that a mask be worn--not belittling it.    

Now with that said--today he released a podcast with Tony Hawk where the covid talk seemed to take a backseat--and that was cool.   Honestly--I think the worst covid rants tend to happen when he brings in people that are buddies/fellow comedians.    When he brings in a guy like Brendan schaub--its legit so cringeworthy that I can't even listen to it for more than like 5 minutes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Sometimes, that's what makes a particular episode fun.   Like when we go out to eat with my crazy, conspiracy theory uncle and he just starts going off.   The last thing I attempt to do is have a logic conversation with him.   I'm just in it for the entertainment factor.   Some of his best shows have been with that Alex Jones nut.  

I hear what you're saying, I find Alex Jones to be hilarious and very clearly full of ####. But there are a lot of other people he has on who are peddling much better disguised bull####, and on his show it all gets through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cockroach said:

Good.  I've decided I'm done with Joe this week.  I've been getting increasingly annoyed by my YT feed suggesting me 70% JRE stuff.  But his Covid talk put me over the edge.   He recently was belittling a waiter on the show that served him with a mask on in some steakhouse.  

 

He's just so mediocre, yet so successful right now, I just can't count myself as a supporter anymore. 

 

 

It doesn't sound like he made out very well on this deal though. Spotify recently bought another podcast for like 190million and it had way less listeners.  I think he was worried about being "deplatformed" or w/e by YouTube for saying wildly innacurate stuff about covid. 

 

 

It is definitely going to change YT's behavior in regard to how it monetizes content providers that don't align with them politically. TJDS had ad breaks in it for the first time in weeks (months?) yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cockroach said:

Good.  I've decided I'm done with Joe this week.  I've been getting increasingly annoyed by my YT feed suggesting me 70% JRE stuff.  But his Covid talk put me over the edge.   He recently was belittling a waiter on the show that served him with a mask on in some steakhouse. 

 

I'm not a podcast listener but that's dooshy. I guess I shouldn't try his show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

I'm not even saying ask a tough question. I am saying when somebody makes a statement that's supported by flimsy logic, or just patently untrue, inquire further. I get that it's supposed to be more of a "conversation", but if I'm talking to a group of my friends and one of them starts talking about aliens visiting Earth, I don't just take them at their word.

Always kind of scratch my head at these takes. You've obviously listened to a few of his shows, why keep going back? That's rhetorical, I don't really care.

Don't like him? Don't listen, pretty simple :shrug:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't listen to all of his podcasts, tend to avoid the ones with his comedian buddies but I generally like him.  Didn't hear him rip on the mask wearing waiter and agree that's dooshy.  One thing about Joe he's big on boosting ones own immune system and spends a ton of time on sauna and vitamins, especially Vitamin D.  The podcast with Dr Patrick and how vitamin D may help against Covid was fascinating.  She had some very good stats to back it up.  Didn't say it was a cure so settle down skeptics but it was interesting to say the least.  He offers a different perspective than most and I, for the most part, find it refreshing but certainly don't take everything he says as gospel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36xPWBLcG8&t=31s

Give it a listen. I found the dude to be super interesting and knowledgable.  Was a very quick three hours. Would love to hear your thoughts on it after you give it a listen. 

Took a few runs to get through since it has soo many names and dates etc but it was worthwhile and informative.

Have to wonder how many stories that have this much in-depth actual reporting that isn't on the web and is groundbreaking is out their and/or have been intentionally buried.  Twenty years of reporting with concrete documents backing the gist of LSD induced mind control.  

I've heard versions of this before from the Church Commission and others from the Watergate fallout.

The Manson Murders have gotten new light from the Tarantino flick.  I've had a decades long crush on Sharon Tate so the details about Roman Polanski video tape was ugly as the murders.  I knew their home was a place for many famous people to congregate but they threw out even more names than I was aware of.

I recently read a magazine article on other 'murders' in Topanga Canyon where Charlie's 'Ranch' was and happened upon a TV interview with a now-famous actor who was a kid in the 60s where he and his sister were out riding horses and came across Charlie and his followers and he looked in Manson's eyes and got spooked.  That obviously was before the murders.  

Back to the Rogan interview with Tom O'Neill who busted open the original Helter Skelter fantasy and the allegations against the LA DA Vincent T. Bugliosi Jr. and his disturbing stalking of the milkman who he accused of impregnating his wife and how he beat his mistress and then kidnapped her and forced her sign a statement saying she lied to the police, how he paid bribed people... Just the off-hand comments O'Neill made on that story is worthy of a mini-series and that was peripheral to the CIA LSD mind control Manchurian Candidate/Charlie Manson murders and how he had a 'protector' leading up to the public murders.  

I found it very interesting since I stumbled upon the 'other' murders directly attributed to Manson and how he was under investigation for those killings so hearing he had 'handlers' and how they were 'grooming him' for something big and how they 'protected him' from other crimes.  It all came together and O'Neill didn't even mention those murders or he 'may' not even been aware of them because the only recently leaked out.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, jvdesigns2002 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36xPWBLcG8&t=31s

Give it a listen. I found the dude to be super interesting and knowledgable.  Was a very quick three hours. Would love to hear your thoughts on it after you give it a listen. 

Whoa.  I got about 20mins in and this is going to be going down some rabbit holes I was not prepared for last night in my tired state.  Will listen more today.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beer 30 said:

Always kind of scratch my head at these takes. You've obviously listened to a few of his shows, why keep going back? That's rhetorical, I don't really care.

Don't like him? Don't listen, pretty simple :shrug:

Great question!

Sometimes he'll have a guest on that I'm interested in hearing (e.g. Tyson Fury), and I'll listen then. Sometimes he'll do an interview that makes the news, and it comes across my transom that way (e.g. Elon Musk). Other times I admit I listen out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

He's part of a trend that worries me where, to borrow a sarcastic phrase from a podcast I do listen to regularly, "facts don't matter." It's pretty unnerving when someone with his platform has patently bull#### ideas about COVID-19, for example. It just makes me sad.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Completely vexed by by people who think Rogan's a good interviewer. He has zero ability/interest in pushing back on people's BS.

I really depends on how knowledgeable or passionate he is about a topic. I just happened to be skimming through this video yesterday.

But a lot of times if Joe likes a guest or is in over his head on a topic, he'll let them say whatever they want without a followup question.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started last week's Elon Musk episode. It takes a while to get used to Elon's slow pace. This one seems less interesting than the previous appearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I just started last week's Elon Musk episode. It takes a while to get used to Elon's slow pace. This one seems less interesting than the previous appearance.

its pretty meh all the way through

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pipes said:

I don't listen to all of his podcasts, tend to avoid the ones with his comedian buddies but I generally like him.  Didn't hear him rip on the mask wearing waiter and agree that's dooshy.  One thing about Joe he's big on boosting ones own immune system and spends a ton of time on sauna and vitamins, especially Vitamin D.  The podcast with Dr Patrick and how vitamin D may help against Covid was fascinating.  She had some very good stats to back it up.  Didn't say it was a cure so settle down skeptics but it was interesting to say the least.  He offers a different perspective than most and I, for the most part, find it refreshing but certainly don't take everything he says as gospel.

Yeah, thats my move as well.  I got so tired of his crew of Comedy Store buddies where they wax poetic about the glories of the art form, etc.   Most have followed his route of starting their own podcasts and oversaturated the market.  They often come on without anything really new to say unless its to plug something and aren't that funny.   Tom Papa is the one guy who seems to follow current events and brings new topics to the show.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an infrequent Rogan listener but I generally like his interview style. When someone has crazy ideas I think it's usually a better approach to give them enough rope and let them hang themselves rather than trying to "win" the argument. The latter usually fails because it's nearly impossible to use logic to talk someone out of an illogical position.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, EYLive said:

I just started last week's Elon Musk episode. It takes a while to get used to Elon's slow pace. This one seems less interesting than the previous appearance.

I listened to it, was so enthralled by it I went back and listened tot he first one he did last year. Elon's speech is a painful listen but the dude is brilliant. Joe's style of sitting back and letting the guest do the talking doesn't translate real well with a guy that has difficulty speaking on the fly. It seemed like Elon is super efficient, with everything including speech. I didn't watch it so may have translated differently on video but it seemed like Joe was waiting for Elon to say something more and he was done. Made for some pauses that don't translate well when just listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Great question!

Sometimes he'll have a guest on that I'm interested in hearing (e.g. Tyson Fury), and I'll listen then. Sometimes he'll do an interview that makes the news, and it comes across my transom that way (e.g. Elon Musk). Other times I admit I listen out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

He's part of a trend that worries me where, to borrow a sarcastic phrase from a podcast I do listen to regularly, "facts don't matter." It's pretty unnerving when someone with his platform has patently bull#### ideas about COVID-19, for example. It just makes me sad.

But is it? I'm not arguing one way or the other on the subject, we have a COVID thread for that but it seems the jury is still out on how to combat/live with this virus. I'm not sure we can say for certainty what works and what doesn't at this point? I don't agree with people not wearing masks but I also understand the people who say they don't think they need to.

I get what you are saying, he reaches a vast audience and probably influences them to a large degree but when it comes to something like this, people have to be smarter than "well Joe said so" and do what they think is right. He railed pretty hard on the Rhonda Patrick interview but I tuned most of that out and picked up some good stuff from his guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, Good Posting Judge said:

Completely vexed by by people who think Rogan's a good interviewer. He has zero ability/interest in pushing back on people's BS.

That's the exact reason why Rogan is so popular. Guests and listeners love his show because it's a safe space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

That's the exact reason why Rogan is so popular. Guests and listeners love his show because it's a safe space.

How is being questioned/pushed on one's beliefs/assertions unsafe?

Re: Murph's point about giving his subjects enough rope to hang themselves with, I get that, but I don't think that's what he's doing. And as an example, there are some subjects where I don't really have the knowledge or understanding to be able to spot the BS.  I realize it's difficult to know something about everything (unless you're an FBG, of course), but surely he has a staff that does research?

I'll give an example, I listened to the most recent interview with Elon Musk out of morbid curiosity. I didn't get very far, but he talked about how he was selling all of his homes, because it'd become an "attack vector" for the public who hold the sentiment that billionaires are bad, but then went on to explain that people who had ideas and hustled and started companies should be able to reap the rewards.

It was patently ####### crazy. Firstly, because he wasn't giving away his wealth, he was just giving away his houses. I have a house, and I'm not super-wealthy, the pitchforks aren't out for me. And, if the issue he's being "attacked on" is the wealthy having too much wealth (as an aside, I do believe that we're far too economically imbalanced, but that's neither here nor there)...why not give it away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Great question!

Sometimes he'll have a guest on that I'm interested in hearing (e.g. Tyson Fury), and I'll listen then. Sometimes he'll do an interview that makes the news, and it comes across my transom that way (e.g. Elon Musk). Other times I admit I listen out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

He's part of a trend that worries me where, to borrow a sarcastic phrase from a podcast I do listen to regularly, "facts don't matter." It's pretty unnerving when someone with his platform has patently bull#### ideas about COVID-19, for example. It just makes me sad.

It’s his opinion. Pretty much everything covid related is still an opinion at this time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

How is being questioned/pushed on one's beliefs/assertions unsafe?

Re: Murph's point about giving his subjects enough rope to hang themselves with, I get that, but I don't think that's what he's doing. And as an example, there are some subjects where I don't really have the knowledge or understanding to be able to spot the BS.  I realize it's difficult to know something about everything (unless you're an FBG, of course), but surely he has a staff that does research?

I'll give an example, I listened to the most recent interview with Elon Musk out of morbid curiosity. I didn't get very far, but he talked about how he was selling all of his homes, because it'd become an "attack vector" for the public who hold the sentiment that billionaires are bad, but then went on to explain that people who had ideas and hustled and started companies should be able to reap the rewards.

It was patently ####### crazy. Firstly, because he wasn't giving away his wealth, he was just giving away his houses. I have a house, and I'm not super-wealthy, the pitchforks aren't out for me. And, if the issue he's being "attacked on" is the wealthy having too much wealth (as an aside, I do believe that we're far too economically imbalanced, but that's neither here nor there)...why not give it away?

Why is how Musk feels and what he’s doing about it BS?  Why would Rohan push back on that?

ive seen Rogan push back on topics he’s educated about. Personally I think it’s better to do more listening when your lack knowledge in a subject. Probably why he gets such a diverse group on guests

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

How is being questioned/pushed on one's beliefs/assertions unsafe?

Re: Murph's point about giving his subjects enough rope to hang themselves with, I get that, but I don't think that's what he's doing. And as an example, there are some subjects where I don't really have the knowledge or understanding to be able to spot the BS.  I realize it's difficult to know something about everything (unless you're an FBG, of course), but surely he has a staff that does research?

I'll give an example, I listened to the most recent interview with Elon Musk out of morbid curiosity. I didn't get very far, but he talked about how he was selling all of his homes, because it'd become an "attack vector" for the public who hold the sentiment that billionaires are bad, but then went on to explain that people who had ideas and hustled and started companies should be able to reap the rewards.

It was patently ####### crazy. Firstly, because he wasn't giving away his wealth, he was just giving away his houses. I have a house, and I'm not super-wealthy, the pitchforks aren't out for me. And, if the issue he's being "attacked on" is the wealthy having too much wealth (as an aside, I do believe that we're far too economically imbalanced, but that's neither here nor there)...why not give it away?

Dude, it's not rocket science. JR is one of the biggest podcasts in the world. If you don't get/like it, just don't watch. You have an unpopular opinion but it's valid. Not everyone has to like everything.

Edited by Warrior
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Took a few runs to get through since it has soo many names and dates etc but it was worthwhile and informative.

Have to wonder how many stories that have this much in-depth actual reporting that isn't on the web and is groundbreaking is out their and/or have been intentionally buried.  Twenty years of reporting with concrete documents backing the gist of LSD induced mind control.  

I've heard versions of this before from the Church Commission and others from the Watergate fallout.

The Manson Murders have gotten new light from the Tarantino flick.  I've had a decades long crush on Sharon Tate so the details about Roman Polanski video tape was ugly as the murders.  I knew their home was a place for many famous people to congregate but they threw out even more names than I was aware of.

I recently read a magazine article on other 'murders' in Topanga Canyon where Charlie's 'Ranch' was and happened upon a TV interview with a now-famous actor who was a kid in the 60s where he and his sister were out riding horses and came across Charlie and his followers and he looked in Manson's eyes and got spooked.  That obviously was before the murders.  

Back to the Rogan interview with Tom O'Neill who busted open the original Helter Skelter fantasy and the allegations against the LA DA Vincent T. Bugliosi Jr. and his disturbing stalking of the milkman who he accused of impregnating his wife and how he beat his mistress and then kidnapped her and forced her sign a statement saying she lied to the police, how he paid bribed people... Just the off-hand comments O'Neill made on that story is worthy of a mini-series and that was peripheral to the CIA LSD mind control Manchurian Candidate/Charlie Manson murders and how he had a 'protector' leading up to the public murders.  

I found it very interesting since I stumbled upon the 'other' murders directly attributed to Manson and how he was under investigation for those killings so hearing he had 'handlers' and how they were 'grooming him' for something big and how they 'protected him' from other crimes.  It all came together and O'Neill didn't even mention those murders or he 'may' not even been aware of them because the only recently leaked out.  

Was a fascinating interview. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Dude, it's not rocket science. JR is one of the biggest podcasts in the world. If you don't get/like it, just don't watch. You have an unpopular opinion but it's valid. Not everyone has to like everything.

Even if Rogan has 30 million regular listeners/viewers, that's still a significant minority of the US and English speaking world. The popular opinion is to not like the Joe Rogan show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Even if Rogan has 30 million regular listeners/viewers, that's still a significant minority of the US and English speaking world. The popular opinion is to not like the Joe Rogan show. 

Odd take.  Just because someone doesn’t watch/listen to something doesn’t mean they don’t like it.  

You have to judge him vs his peers.  He’s dominating the podcast market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Odd take.  Just because someone doesn’t watch/listen to something doesn’t mean they don’t like it.  

You have to judge him vs his peers.  He’s dominating the podcast market.

He is crushing the podcast/YT market. But in the grand scheme of things, his show isn't that popular. That is kind of his thing- looking at ideas and people who more on the fringe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

He is crushing the podcast/YT market. But in the grand scheme of things, his show isn't that popular. That is kind of his thing- looking at ideas and people who more on the fringe.  

How many shows have 30 million regular viewers/listeners?  I’m just using your numbers on that.  I really don’t know, but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get more views than even the most popular late night TV shows like Kimmel/etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

How many shows have 30 million regular viewers/listeners?  I’m just using your numbers on that.  I really don’t know, but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get more views than even the most popular late night TV shows like Kimmel/etc.

Jimmy Fallon Show has 24 million YouTube subscribers, Rogan has 8 for perspective. 

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Why is how Musk feels and what he’s doing about it BS?  Why would Rohan push back on that?

ive seen Rogan push back on topics he’s educated about. Personally I think it’s better to do more listening when your lack knowledge in a subject. Probably why he gets such a diverse group on guests

If someone is concerned about being criticized for being a billionaire, and in return he sells off all of his houses because of his criticism, but he's still a billionaire...that doesn't make any sense. If it really bothers you that much, start giving meaningfully to charity, e.g. Jack Dorsey. Not having a permanent place to live is just causing headaches for yourself. It's just an incoherent way of thinking, nobody's going to knock the guy for having one house. Elon Musk himself, or the number of houses he has, aren't the causes of wealth inequality (which is a real issue), they're symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

It’s his opinion. Pretty much everything covid related is still an opinion at this time

This is 100% horse####. Scientists have studied it, and know quite a bit about it, and have passed on information on how we non-scientist dum-dums can deal with it.

See! It's that easy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Took a few runs to get through since it has soo many names and dates etc but it was worthwhile and informative.

Have to wonder how many stories that have this much in-depth actual reporting that isn't on the web and is groundbreaking is out their and/or have been intentionally buried.  Twenty years of reporting with concrete documents backing the gist of LSD induced mind control.  

I've heard versions of this before from the Church Commission and others from the Watergate fallout.

The Manson Murders have gotten new light from the Tarantino flick.  I've had a decades long crush on Sharon Tate so the details about Roman Polanski video tape was ugly as the murders.  I knew their home was a place for many famous people to congregate but they threw out even more names than I was aware of.

I recently read a magazine article on other 'murders' in Topanga Canyon where Charlie's 'Ranch' was and happened upon a TV interview with a now-famous actor who was a kid in the 60s where he and his sister were out riding horses and came across Charlie and his followers and he looked in Manson's eyes and got spooked.  That obviously was before the murders.  

Back to the Rogan interview with Tom O'Neill who busted open the original Helter Skelter fantasy and the allegations against the LA DA Vincent T. Bugliosi Jr. and his disturbing stalking of the milkman who he accused of impregnating his wife and how he beat his mistress and then kidnapped her and forced her sign a statement saying she lied to the police, how he paid bribed people... Just the off-hand comments O'Neill made on that story is worthy of a mini-series and that was peripheral to the CIA LSD mind control Manchurian Candidate/Charlie Manson murders and how he had a 'protector' leading up to the public murders.  

I found it very interesting since I stumbled upon the 'other' murders directly attributed to Manson and how he was under investigation for those killings so hearing he had 'handlers' and how they were 'grooming him' for something big and how they 'protected him' from other crimes.  It all came together and O'Neill didn't even mention those murders or he 'may' not even been aware of them because the only recently leaked out.  

Yeah--you certainly have some insight on the Manson thing even more than the Rogan podcast. I have to admit--that I knew very iittle of the backstory behind some of the Manson stuff before the podcast.  I found it crazy that O'Neill basically retained all of that information--all of those names, dates, locations in a 3 hour podcast--with no notes or bulletpoints.   His depth of knowledge on the topic and some of the side and back stories is truly fascinating. I think they are going to possibly make a series from some of his findings--and I very much look forward to that.  I'm glad that you found the podcast enjoyable and informative.  I was a tad worried that if you guys spent 3 hours listening to a podcast that I kinda recommended and hated it--that I just wasted your time.  I feel better now that you guys seemed to enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Jimmy Fallon Show has 24 million YouTube subscribers, Rogan has 8 for perspective. 

Makes sense, but Rogan podcasts are like 2 hours.  Far more youtube ads in his interviews than a 2 minute Fallon clip.  

No idea who is worth more online.  I haven't watched a late night show in over 10 years.  Very possible they are still popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to miss any Eddie Bravo episodes.

I like when Joe starts wringing Eddie out on some of his crazy theories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Makes sense, but Rogan podcasts are like 2 hours.  Far more youtube ads in his interviews than a 2 minute Fallon clip.  

No idea who is worth more online.  I haven't watched a late night show in over 10 years.  Very possible they are still popular.

I’m not disparaging him over his audience size at all. He’s a massive success. I just thought the comment that not liking/getting the Joe Rogan Show was the unpopular/minority position lacked perspective on reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I try not to miss any Eddie Bravo episodes.

I like when Joe starts wringing Eddie out on some of his crazy theories.

I know I’m in the minority but I can’t stand the fight companions when Eddie is on. I like his insights on fight strategies and his analysis on fights—but outside of that—I just find his rants and conspiracy theories to be stupid and ridiculous.  Dude legit said that the advent of the morning after pill should completely solve the issue/dynamic of abortion.  I get that it can be amusing for most—but I find that it gets old after about ten minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

I know I’m in the minority but I can’t stand the fight companions when Eddie is on. I like his insights on fight strategies and his analysis on fights—but outside of that—I just find his rants and conspiracy theories to be stupid and ridiculous.  Dude legit said that the advent of the morning after pill should completely solve the issue/dynamic of abortion.  I get that it can be amusing for most—but I find that it gets old after about ten minutes. 

LOL.

I listen just to see what bull#### conspiracy theory he's currently fascinated with.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Makes sense, but Rogan podcasts are like 2 hours.  Far more youtube ads in his interviews than a 2 minute Fallon clip.  

No idea who is worth more online.  I haven't watched a late night show in over 10 years.  Very possible they are still popular.

He has like 190M downloads a month.

Edited by Navin Johnson
Rogan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Yeah--you certainly have some insight on the Manson thing even more than the Rogan podcast. I have to admit--that I knew very iittle of the backstory behind some of the Manson stuff before the podcast.  I found it crazy that O'Neill basically retained all of that information--all of those names, dates, locations in a 3 hour podcast--with no notes or bulletpoints.   His depth of knowledge on the topic and some of the side and back stories is truly fascinating. I think they are going to possibly make a series from some of his findings--and I very much look forward to that.  I'm glad that you found the podcast enjoyable and informative.  I was a tad worried that if you guys spent 3 hours listening to a podcast that I kinda recommended and hated it--that I just wasted your time.  I feel better now that you guys seemed to enjoy it. 

I mentioned the 'famous' actor who had an encounter with Charles Manson but didn't name him because I just remembered who it was.

----------------------------------------------------

Bryan Cranston@BryanCranston

Nov 20, 2017

Hearing Charles Manson is dead, I shuddered. I was within his grasp just one year before he committed brutal murder in 1969. Luck was with me when a cousin and I went horseback riding at the Span Ranch, and saw the little man with crazy eyes whom the other hippies called Charlie.

-----------------------------------

Bryan Cranston recounts chilling encounter with Charles Manson

Quote

 

Bryan Cranston recounts chilling encounter with Charles Manson

Actor Bryan Cranston says he’s lucky to be alive after a run-in with Charles Manson decades ago.

“Hearing Charles Manson is dead, I shuddered. I was within his grasp just one year before he committed brutal murder in 1969,” the “Breaking Bad” star tweeted Monday. “Luck was with me when a cousin and I went horseback riding at the Span Ranch, and saw the little man with crazy eyes whom the other hippies called Charlie.”

Cult leader Manson, who was convicted along with his Manson Family followers of killing seven people over two horrific nights in 1969, died Sunday at the age of 83.

Cranston has previously talked about running into Manson before he and and his crew committed the killings, when Cranston was a 12-year-old growing up in the Canoga Park section of Los Angeles.

The future star was riding horses with his teenage cousin at Spahn Ranch — a ranch used for filming Western movies and TV shows whose owner, George Spahn, allowed Manson and his murderous acolytes to live there rent-free in exchange for performing odd jobs.

Cranston and his cousin were checking out their horses when a man in his 20s started yelling, “Charlie’s on the hill!”

“Everybody looked around, and there was this frantic nervous energy going on, and they all jumped on horses and away they went,” Cranston told the Daily Beast last year. “We asked the old guy [Spahn] what was going on, and he said, ‘Oh, it’s nothing. It’s happened before.’ We thought, ‘Well, Charlie must be someone important.’ ”

Cranston’s cousin, who was about a year-and-a-half older than he, would have been about the same age as Dianne Lake, Manson’s youngest devotee, when she joined his “family” at the age of 14 in 1967.

Cranston and his cousin rode out to find “Charlie” and see what all the fuss was about — and there they found a drugged-out Manson, who still oozed charisma despite being whacked out of his gourd, Cranston recalled.

“There were about eight or so people, and there was a man in the middle on a horse, but he wasn’t holding his own reins — there was someone on the horse in front holding the reins — and Charlie, I guessed, was this comatose, bearded, long-haired guy with big eyes riding as if he’s just stuck to the back of a horse. Totally zoned out. You couldn’t take your eyes off him,” he said.

“My cousin turned back to me and said, ‘Wow, that guy’s weird.’ When we passed him and their whole group, she turned around again and said, ‘That must be Charlie,’ and I said, ‘Yeah … and Charlie’s freaky!’ We didn’t think anything of it.”

The kids instantly recalled Charlie when news of the murders broke.

“I saw his face on the news, and my jaw dropped,” Cranston said. “My cousin called me first and said, ‘Can you believe this?’ The picture of Charlie Manson was the guy on the back of this horse. And we thought for a second, oh my God, what if? It was very freaky, to say the least. Oh, man.”

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

He is crushing the podcast/YT market. But in the grand scheme of things, his show isn't that popular. That is kind of his thing- looking at ideas and people who more on the fringe.  

What is your criteria for "popular"? The most viewed tv broadcast of all time, SB 49, drew in 114M viewers. That's only a third of the US. Are we going to say football is not that popular in the US if only 1 in 3 people watch it? (Much less regular season games which still dominate ratings)

Edited by ShamrockPride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Jimmy Dore's video about the spotify deal.  Apparently Rogan's videos won't be up on youtube any longer.  I wonder if this means that videos uploaded by independent users will be taken down as well?  That'd be really unfortunate.  I was watching this edit of Neil deGrasse Tyson interrupting him the other day, guy's kind of a jerk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one this week with this political commentator David Parkman was great. Will be adding that Pakman dudes podcast into my rotation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 12:51 AM, ren hoek said:

Watched Jimmy Dore's video about the spotify deal.  Apparently Rogan's videos won't be up on youtube any longer.  I wonder if this means that videos uploaded by independent users will be taken down as well?  That'd be really unfortunate.  I was watching this edit of Neil deGrasse Tyson interrupting him the other day, guy's kind of a jerk.  

DeGrasse Tyson does love himself. Explaining #### to a high dude for 2 hours does probably get irritating though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only watched his podcast a few times and then only when it's someone I want to hear.  I don't find Joe Rogan to be particularly smart and I really don't think he asks good questions.  Maybe I haven't watched enough to make an informed decision but that's how I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chet said:

Only watched his podcast a few times and then only when it's someone I want to hear.  I don't find Joe Rogan to be particularly smart and I really don't think he asks good questions.  Maybe I haven't watched enough to make an informed decision but that's how I feel.

I have listened to a lot of his podcasts since this quarantine and he is good at casual BS’ing and talking to anybody which makes the interviews enjoyable even when he says some ridiculous things. 

IMO his skill is that he gets people talking for a long time. He listens well and doesn’t seem to have an agenda. Some of these things go on for hours, that’s a long time to talk to someone and hold attention of a listener.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.