What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is "Hombre" a racial slur against someone who may or may not be Mexicaned? (1 Viewer)

In this day and age, just assume everything you say including the words "the" and "I" are offensive and expressions of some sort of microagression. You have been warned. Proceed accordingly. 

Siri says "A man, a fellow"

"The man who cuts my lawn is a good hombre"  "The man who stole my car is a bad hombre"

So I guess you can be a good hombre, or a bad hombre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you use it in a sentence please?  Preferably the one that you used to piss said hombre off?
"He wires money from thousands of convenient locations throughout the US to all of his hombres back home via MoneyGram."

I think that would be an example of a micro-aggressive usage of the word hombre.

You microagressioned him.

Microagressions cause stress that can lead to cancer.

Cancer can lead to death.

You could be charged with micropersonslaughter in MA, OR, or CA.

From Media Matters but quoting/links to CNN, Geraldo on Fox and Univision:

https://mediamatters.org/research/2016/10/20/why-donald-trump-s-bad-hombres-comment-offensive-latinos/213995  [...]

Why Donald Trump’s “Bad Hombres” Comment Is Offensive To Latinos

[...] Republican Presidential Nominee Donald Trump Refers To Immigrants As “Bad Hombres”

[...] Media Figures Explain: “Bad Hombres” Is An Offensive Smear And Stereotype Of Latinos

CNN’s Van Jones: Trump “Spoke A Spanish Word Only To Insult And Smear And Stereotype Latino Immigrants.” During CNN’s post-debate coverage, CNN political commentator Van Jones explained that Trump saying “we have some bad hombres here” in the context of immigration was offensive because it was used “to stereotype and smear” Latino immigrants in particular. From CNN’s October 19 post-debate coverage:

VAN JONES: There’s one thing we haven't talked about, and we need to talk about it, which is, for the first time Donald Trump used Spanish. He spoke a Spanish word only to insult and smear and stereotype Latino immigrants, and no other immigrants. He said “we have some bad hombres.” The only time this man has used Spanish in the entire election was used to stereotype and smear Latino immigrants. Not all immigrants, but Latino immigrants. I thought that was horrible and if you look at Twitter, that’s going to be another reason that he -- that the Republican Party is going to have a very difficult time being a party for all of the country. [CNN, Debate Night in America, 10/19/16]

Fox’s Geraldo Rivera: Saying “Bad Hombres” Is Like Saying “Drunken Irish Or Greedy Jew.” While appearing as a guest on Fox News’ Fox & Friends, Geraldo Rivera said Trump’s “bad hombres” was a “dumb remark,” comparing it to other stereotypes like "'drunken Irish' or 'greedy jew.'" From the October 20 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends:

BRIAN KILMEADE (CO-HOST): Geraldo Rivera, known to be a bad hombre at some point.

GERALDO RIVERA: The baddest of hombres. Baddest of hombres.

KILMEADE: Are you insulted by that?

RIVERA: I love Trump, but what a dumb remark.

KILMEADE: Really?

STEVE DOOCY (CO-HOST): Why?

RIVERA: Really. I mean, seriously. How do you like "drunken Irish" or "greedy Jew"? I mean it seriously. Bad hombre? I understand. The reason -- people ask me why don't I hate him with some of these positions. I don't hate him because I don't think he has a malicious bone in his body. I really don't. He's of my era, the Mad Men era. [Fox News, Fox & Friends, 10/20/16]

Univision’s Ezequiel Hernández: Bad Hombres Had A “Racist Tone.” Univision legal contributor Ezequiel Hernández said “there was a racist tone” in Trump’s remarks because he blamed the “Mexican man” for the problems of “undocumented immigration and crime.” Translated from the October 19 edition of Univision’s post-debate coverage:

[...]

If a Mexican calls another Mexican hombre, it is a perfectly fine term.

If a white guy calls a Mexican hombre, it is condescending.

Just like when a Mexican calls a white guy, "gringo" - condescending.

Last month at a resort in Cancun I was called "the friendly gringo" . I was given a heavy pour by this guy every time . First day at the main pool bar I drop a $20 telling the bartender me and him were hombres .

So if "hombre" is somehow upsetting to a Hispanic person, then I should probably get upset if a non-white calls me "guy?" Just trying to keep the PC speak straight in my head. It's growing so rapidly that it's hard to keep up.

What if a black guy calls a mexican hombre?

Users who are viewing this thread