What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quit and walked out of work today (1 Viewer)

Gawain

Footballguy
Had been having a bad couple of weeks. To the point where I had to pull over while driving to the grocery store on lunch yesterday because I wasn’t sure if I was having a panic attack, a heart attack or something else.

Came in very proud today about a change I had fought for a month to implement only to be called on the carpet by my director. Reached out to the COO (who had been in the loop about the discussions) and had a meeting where for 20 minutes I kept getting dumped on. Pulled the plug at 1:50 pm.

I’m lucky enough to have 12+ months of expenses and it’s amazing to feel the stress bleeding off. Going to add a certification in the downtime and open to any tips for a mid-level supply chain / operations guy.

One piece of advice. Enjoy your time off and don’t stress about having to find something else right away.

I was let go from my company in December and have only just started looking for my next gig. I enjoyed the time traveling, spending time with my family, being able to see every single one of my son’s senior year of baseball, chilled out and didn’t have to worry about nothing., It’s been great. Like you, I was luckily enough to have the ability to enjoy the time and not have to immediately find something else.

In your working career, you will NOT have the opportunity to do this very often, and most likely never again. Enjoy it while it lasts. Get better at golf, learn a new hobby, acquire a new skill/certification, appreciate not having to wake up at 6am every morning and get home at 7p every night.

Just ENJOY…

Last edited:
Had been having a bad couple of weeks. To the point where I had to pull over while driving to the grocery store on lunch yesterday because I wasn’t sure if I was having a panic attack, a heart attack or something else.

Came in very proud today about a change I had fought for a month to implement only to be called on the carpet by my director. Reached out to the COO (who had been in the loop about the discussions) and had a meeting where for 20 minutes I kept getting dumped on. Pulled the plug at 1:50 pm.

I’m lucky enough to have 12+ months of expenses and it’s amazing to feel the stress bleeding off. Going to add a certification in the downtime and open to any tips for a mid-level supply chain / operations guy.
So how did the actual quitting go down? A simple “I quit”? Did they try to change your mind? Two weeks notice?

Best of luck GB. I'm fortunate that I'm in a job that I love, but I don't know how bad it would have to be for me to quit without having another job in hand. Just too risky for me, hope it works out well!

Don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t give notice. Pretty unprofessional, especially in a management situation.

Isn’t the employee/employer relationship mutually agreed upon?

Seems like a lot of employees resent their employers for actually expecting them to, you know, work.

Don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t give notice. Pretty unprofessional, especially in a management situation.

Seems like a lot of employees resent their employers for actually expecting them to, you know, work.

If the situation is bad enough and one can handle the consequences, I can understand leaving without the standard notice.

so u fired your entire company. nice

Not pointing fingers at you, but I lnow a lot of really subpar managers and directors who feel exactly this way. And they are usually the root cause of someone quitting without notice.

Maybe - I think there is a mutual respect component. If you are getting physically ill due to work, your contributions aren't valued, the goalposts are changing, and there is no support from multiple levels of management - it could be time to exit. Maybe there could have been a way to de-escalate and call in sick for a couple days - not sure.

We had another thread where if you are in an abusive situation, it is your responsibility to leave.

I’ve always given 2 weeks but I get it if someone doesn’t.

I’ve been laid off before, and was given zero notice
Ding ding. If they're going to let you go there's not likely to be any notice so you owe them nothing in return. Prospective future employer might be the only one to worry about if it comes up.

I have heard more than a few people in the last few years say, "You don't get any notice when you get fired, so why should we give any notice when we were quitting." Someone who asks that obviously doesn't understand the difference and how can impact them when going for future jobs, but it's becoming more and more of a theme in recent years. We had a guy quit on the spot about three weeks ago because he was emailed about a mistake he kept making and just stood up and told his supervisor, "I quit," and walked out. (the mistake he kept making might have gotten him terminated sooner rather than later, which I am sure he knew, so he was heading the boss off at the pass, I suppose)

I have heard more than a few people in the last few years say, "You don't get any notice when you get fired, so why should we give any notice when we were quitting." Someone who asks that obviously doesn't understand the difference and how can impact them when going for future jobs, but it's becoming more and more of a theme in recent years. We had a guy quit on the spot about three weeks ago because he was emailed about a mistake he kept making and just stood up and told his supervisor, "I quit," and walked out. (the mistake he kept making might have gotten him terminated sooner rather than later, which I am sure he knew, so he was heading the boss off at the pass, I suppose)
Being fired for negligence/poor work is different than getting RIF'd/being part of a workforce reduction. If a company has a bad year and decides to reduce the workforce they're not likely going to let you know in advance and many times you'll be lucky to walk out of there with anything more than your final paycheck. So I don't necessarily owe them anything more than finishing out my day assuming they let me. Two weeks notice is a courtesy and nothing more. When I leave it'll be me "retiring" and I'll give them more than 2 weeks heads up but I don't owe it to them.

Maybe - I think there is a mutual respect component. If you are getting physically ill due to work, your contributions aren't valued, the goalposts are changing, and there is no support from multiple levels of management - it could be time to exit. Maybe there could have been a way to de-escalate and call in sick for a couple days - not sure.

We had another thread where if you are in an abusive situation, it is your responsibility to leave.
Completely agree, and I don’t know all of the details here.

I do know there’s usually an employer’s side to the story though too.

Do you still get unemployment bennies if you quit? Was thinking maybe you could've just put it into cruise control collecting a paycheck until they just let you go. In NJ at least, you're looking at a max $20k in unemployment. That would've funded a few nice excursions during your transition.

Do you still get unemployment bennies if you quit?
Usually no.
I made a previous employer fire me for this exact reason. They verbally asked me to do unethical activities (obviously wouldn't put it in writing) and I said no. They called my bluff, found out I wasn't, thought I'd quit, didn't, so they had to cut the cord. I've had some toxic weeks at work before, but nothing will ever compare to that one.

I agree to a point. Management doesn’t reward good workers anymore, they protect the slackers. They are expected to cover for them and not get paid more for it.

You want two weeks notice from your employees, treat them better.

Some people won't ever give a notice, nothing you can do about that. But if you keep having employees flip over the conference table on the way out the door, perhaps you're the problem.

Where are you? I know a lot of distributors in Northern California
NY. I'd wanted to get a couple APICS certs to go along with my ASQ certs. Think I'm going to take 8 weeks to bang them out.

So how did the actual quitting go down? A simple “I quit”? Did they try to change your mind? Two weeks notice?

I was managing a Union workforce. I created and presented metrics for both DCs across all shifts. One of the biggest was Cases Received per Hour. It took two years, but I had gotten them away from cases handled which can be gamed by consolidations that don't provide value. Wine & Spirits lags over the next couple of months before picking up for the holidays. For a month on weekly metric calls I had pointed out the incoming hit to velocity and argued that there was a way to mitigate. Most of my day shift folks had run out of PTO, but there was an opportunity for unpaid time on a volunteer basis. Finally got the COO and Director to sign off. Implemented on Wednesday. Came in on Thursday to a bunch of nasty emails (no impact to production at all, just union complaints from other work groups) from my Director. Attempted to clear the air with him. He told me it was "another mistake in judgment" and suggested corrective action. He then calendared a meeting with the COO. I presented the data that we were covered properly, the workload that was done and the COO took a hands off approach, while my director doubled down on his mistake in judgment line.

I stated it obviously wasn't working and quit effective immediately. Hung up the Teams call. Gave my master key to the senior manager under me and left.
Might want to check in with the doctor about that episode while driving, just in case it's something else.

There are so many jobs - good for you to leave one that was miserable.
Cardiologist appointment on Monday, but I feel much better. I think it was stress (the above issue was just the most recent), but do want to get checked out.

I was doing work. I was happy to do work. I liked most of the job. My action was a direct response to the accusations of my Director. I'm unsure if he was pushing me to leave, but the company wouldn't have given me two weeks if they decided to let me go.
I’ve always given 2 weeks but I get it if someone doesn’t.

I’ve been laid off before, and was given zero notice
Ding ding. If they're going to let you go there's not likely to be any notice so you owe them nothing in return. Prospective future employer might be the only one to worry about if it comes up.
I have a couple references already lined up from this job, so I'm not too concerned. There's only two major Wine and Spirits players in NY, so I'm not likely going back into the same product lines.
Do you still get unemployment bennies if you quit?
Usually no.
I made a previous employer fire me for this exact reason. They verbally asked me to do unethical activities (obviously wouldn't put it in writing) and I said no. They called my bluff, found out I wasn't, thought I'd quit, didn't, so they had to cut the cord. I've had some toxic weeks at work before, but nothing will ever compare to that one.
I could have done that and thought about it, but I'm not really the type of employee that can just go on cruise. I want to make an impact. I'm OK getting called on the carpet if there's substance. I originated in data analysis, that's how most of my decisions are made. The physical effects really got me to a point where either I was going to make a meaningful impact in my work environment or I was not going to stay in that work environment.

I appreciate all the comments, even people who think I'm in the wrong. Wife is freaking out a bit more than I and I'm not looking forward to the COBRA bill, but I just had a nice morning with my 4 year old before he starts school on Monday and I wasn't stressed a bit.

I didn’t mean to sound accusatory or inflammatory. Although, it probably came off that way.

This hits home for me as I just had someone do this last week after a meeting where I had to bring them in to “be called on the carpet” for abrasiveness toward numerous colleagues, offensive comments, and generally negative behavior.

They quickly became defensive and stormed out.

Just curious what the Director’s accusations were?

I didn’t mean to sound accusatory or inflammatory. Although, it probably came off that way.

This hits home for me as I just had someone do this last week after a meeting where I had to bring them in to “be called on the carpet” for abrasiveness toward numerous colleagues, offensive comments, and generally negative behavior.

They quickly became defensive and stormed out.

Just curious what the Director’s accusations were?

I get it, only time in my career that enough was enough and I left w/o notice. I'm 44 and manage in a way that credit goes downhill and blame goes uphill. I was working for guys in their 60s. I had been brought in (and told by the COO earlier that day) that I was key in the succession planning. But every time I looked for more responsibility I was shot down. Every time I tried to implement process improvements I would be shut down by anonymous complaints that weren't backed up by data. Every time there was a problem, blame flowed downhill. For successes, they originated from the Director.

It always isn't one thing, it's the culmination of unaddressed issues that lead to the breaking point of any employee. A key example is that I planned and managed a 50 person meeting across 3 sites on Monday with no IT support. My Director was on site. We had a 1-on-1 calendared at 3 PM after the meeting concluded. The meeting was cancelled without any explanation and he just left.

From the incident in Thursday it was accusations of unprofessionalism and lapses in managerial judgment. I had data that I presented, but he's a 40+ year employee. Que sera sera.

One piece of advice. Enjoy your time off and don’t stress about having to find something else right away.

I was let go from my company in December and have only just started looking for my next gig. I enjoyed the time traveling, spending time with my family, being able to see every single one of my son’s senior year of baseball, chilled out and didn’t have to worry about nothing., It’s been great. Like you, I was luckily enough to have the ability to enjoy the time and not have to immediately find something else.

In your working career, you will NOT have the opportunity to do this very often, and most likely never again. Enjoy it while it lasts. Get better at golf, learn a new hobby, acquire a new skill/certification, appreciate not having to wake up at 6am every morning and get home at 7p every night.

Just ENJOY…
Excellent advice. My friend lost his finance job about 4 years ago. Instead of jumping back into the work force, he bought and fixed up a sprinter van, then toured the country climbing for a year.

It seemed crazy at the time, but during that trip he had a perfect trial run with his current wife (then girlfriend), and gained life experiences impossible in a 9-5 life. And he landed a better position at the backside.

If you have the luxury to take the time off, do it. People with valuable skills can always find another job.

I appreciate all the comments, even people who think I'm in the wrong. Wife is freaking out a bit more than I and I'm not looking forward to the COBRA bill, but I just had a nice morning with my 4 year old before he starts school on Monday and I wasn't stressed a bit.
PSA in case you didn't know this about cobra. https://krazy.finance/how-to-keep-your-insurance-for-free-the-cobra-loophole/
Further PSA, terrible headline. COBRA is not free and there is not a loophole. There is a built in grace period but as soon as you use your insurance or elect for COBRA, you are on the hook for premiums for first eligible day.

PSA in case you didn't know this about cobra. https://krazy.finance/how-to-keep-your-insurance-for-free-the-cobra-loophole/
Further PSA, terrible headline. COBRA is not free and there is not a loophole. There is a built in grace period but as soon as you use your insurance or elect for COBRA, you are on the hook for premiums for first eligible day.
Did you read the article?

Yes. Quoting two key sections:

"Using this strategy, you can get up to 105 days of free coverage if you don't need care, and still have coverage in case of medical events. Do note that this second strategy means you technically owe the insurance company premiums even if you don't need care. However, I don't know of a situation where an insurer pursued a subscriber for premiums." They may not pursue you for premiums, but they sure as heck aren't going to pay your medical bills for you. Guess who WILL pursue you? The provider who provided your care that didn't get paid by the insurer.

"I am not an attorney." No ****.

"Using this strategy, you can get up to 105 days of free coverage if you don't need care, and still have coverage in case of medical events. Do note that this second strategy means you technically owe the insurance company premiums even if you don't need care. However, I don't know of a situation where an insurer pursued a subscriber for premiums." They may not pursue you for premiums, but they sure as heck aren't going to pay your medical bills for you. Guess who WILL pursue you? The provider who provided your care that didn't get paid by the insurer.

You didn't have any medical bills in that case. That's why you didn't pay.

My point was just that the article already spelled out what you mention above. There is a loophole in the first 60 days, but in the 105 day scenario it's not a loophole (it's fraud, actually, although the article puts it nicer than that).

Sure, but you didn't have insurance either so for the article to say you do is flat incorrect. This is not a "Loophole," it's a gamble. The 60 day grace period is built into the law primarly beacuse if you move on to a new job, you typically have to wait 60 days to enroll in the new company's plan. If at any point you enroll in COBRA or try to use your insurance, you are on the hook.

When I have an employee leave, they are terminated from the medical plan immediatly. If they decide within the 60 day grace period to enroll, I reactivate them as COBRA participant from their first eligible day. If they dont' elect COBRA but try to use their insurance at a doctor, the insurer reactivates them as a COBRA participant from the first elibible day or they will refuse the claim. As soon as someone decides to accept COBRA or try to use their insurance, they are on the hook for one or both.

The potential hit you might take from walking off a job depends on the work, and how small the world is that you work within.

Some people are in fields where they cannot burn a bridge. Many are not, and are much more likely to get jobs through their personal network.

And everyone knows someone who gave notice, and was not allowed to finish those two weeks.

Sure, but you didn't have insurance either so for the article to say you do is flat incorrect. This is not a "Loophole," it's a gamble. The 60 day grace period is built into the law primarly beacuse if you move on to a new job, you typically have to wait 60 days to enroll in the new company's plan. If at any point you enroll in COBRA or try to use your insurance, you are on the hook.

When I have an employee leave, they are terminated from the medical plan immediatly. If they decide within the 60 day grace period to enroll, I reactivate them as COBRA participant from their first eligible day. If they dont' elect COBRA but try to use their insurance at a doctor, the insurer reactivates them as a COBRA participant from the first elibible day or they will refuse the claim. As soon as someone decides to accept COBRA or try to use their insurance, they are on the hook for one or both.
You have insurance if you pay for it at some point in that 45 day window no? So you submit your cobra paperwork at day 60 so now you technically have cobra coverage and you have 45 days to pay your bill.

Last edited:

You have insurance if you pay for it at some point in that 45 day window no?
You would if you elect for it , reenroll and pay for the two previous months of premiums plus the current month you're in. You wouldn't be reenrolled on my company plan until we receive your premium payment. The way claims and payments work these days, you would almost certainly have to settle up on your premiums before the provider's claims were processed by the insurer.

So is the article techinically accurate? Sort of. But this is not a loophole. Insurance companies don't leave those, certainly not for schlubs like us on their crappy plans.

You have insurance if you pay for it at some point in that 45 day window no?
You would if you elect for it , reenroll and pay for the two previous months of premiums plus the current month you're in. You wouldn't be reenrolled on my company plan until we receive your premium payment. The way claims and payments work these days, you would almost certainly have to settle up on your premiums before the provider's claims were processed by the insurer.

So is the article techinically accurate? Sort of. But this is not a loophole. Insurance companies don't leave those, certainly not for schlubs like us on their crappy plans.
And just to add, more and more, insurance plans require continuous coverage for certain procedures. So if you decide not to do COBRA for six months, then wait two at your new job to get on their plan, you may have to be on their plan for a period of time for some procedures (vasectomy I belive is one). To use a dental example, you have to wait 6 months on most plans before you can get a crown.

Wishing you the best, Gawain- sounds like a relief for you.. good for you, enjoy your time.

I've been laid off a number of times. I've left positions a number of times. architecture sucks.

but when leaving of my own accord, I always give as much notice as I think is required for the project(s) I"m working on. I stayed on one for months to get it out the door first (client changes delayed my exit, not my own scheduling). as professionals and human beings, we generally owe each other that much.

that said, I've had one "I QUIT!" moment (after building for months) that felt glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread