What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pet Peeve Thread - Automotive Division (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
Really, I just want to get some other opinions on whether this is a justified pet peeve, but it's likely too narrow to merit its own thread, so we can make this a more general effort in the automotive realm.

But here's my personal pet peeve of the week:  Employee Parking in Prime Spaces.  A couple examples from the last two weeks.

1)  The parking lot is always busy at the local Target.  Last weekend, I was out early and swung by Target.  I got there about 10 minutes before it opened.  I was the only customer waiting at the door.  And yet the 20 parking spaces closest to the store had cars parked in them.  As this is a stand-alone Target, I can only assume that these are employees' cars.  So these cars will take up the 20 spots closest to the door for the next 8 hours.  No wonder those spots are hardly ever available.

2)  Went to one of those outdoor malls.  There is a single row of parking that runs along the storefront, with a giant parking lot around the backside of the building.  During peak times there is almost never available parking immediately in front of the stores.  Well, this weekend I went to my usual place to get my haircut first thing.  Next door is some shop of some sort and I noticed that the employee opening up the store had parked right in front of the shop.  She got out of her car at the same time that I did, and was pulling out her keys to open the shop.  There are literally only 2 spaces immediately in front of her shop and she parked in one of them.  So I guess she'll occupy that spot for however long her shift is and customers will have to park around the back side of the building.  

I am not a retail business owner, but if I were, my first directive to all employees would be to NOT park in the most convenient parking spaces closest to my business.  That prime spot could have been used by 30+ customers coming and going during the course of that single employee's shift.  Am I crazy? 

I agree that employee parking should be at the part of the lot farthest from the door .

yeah you are crazy but not because of this post

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, I just want to get some other opinions on whether this is a justified pet peeve, but it's likely too narrow to merit its own thread, so we can make this a more general effort in the automotive realm.

But here's my personal pet peeve of the week:  Employee Parking in Prime Spaces.  A couple examples from the last two weeks.

1)  The parking lot is always busy at the local Target.  Last weekend, I was out early and swung by Target.  I got there about 10 minutes before it opened.  I was the only customer waiting at the door.  And yet the 20 parking spaces closest to the store had cars parked in them.  As this is a stand-alone Target, I can only assume that these are employees' cars.  So these cars will take up the 20 spots closest to the door for the next 8 hours.  No wonder those spots are hardly ever available.

2)  Went to one of those outdoor malls.  There is a single row of parking that runs along the storefront, with a giant parking lot around the backside of the building.  During peak times there is almost never available parking immediately in front of the stores.  Well, this weekend I went to my usual place to get my haircut first thing.  Next door is some shop of some sort and I noticed that the employee opening up the store had parked right in front of the shop.  She got out of her car at the same time that I did, and was pulling out her keys to open the shop.  There are literally only 2 spaces immediately in front of her shop and she parked in one of them.  So I guess she'll occupy that spot for however long her shift is and customers will have to park around the back side of the building.  

I am not a retail business owner, but if I were, my first directive to all employees would be to NOT park in the most convenient parking spaces closest to my business.  That prime spot could have been used by 30+ customers coming and going during the course of that single employee's shift.  Am I crazy? 
The daycare where I drop off and pick up my son has a grand total of three designated spaces.  We're supposed to try to get in and out in 5 to minutes.  But the daycare center owner parks in one of the three designated spaces at least three times a week.  So I'm either parking in the World Wildlife Fund's designated spaces (violators will be towed) or in the fire lane (violators will be towed).  It makes me extra stabby. 

Not sure if it's all of them or just our local store, but our Best Buy has like 10 handicapped parking spaces ... Are there that many handicapped people that shop at Best Buy??  

The daycare where I drop off and pick up my son has a grand total of three designated spaces.  We're supposed to try to get in and out in 5 to minutes.  But the daycare center owner parks in one of the three designated spaces at least three times a week.  So I'm either parking in the World Wildlife Fund's designated spaces (violators will be towed) or in the fire lane (violators will be towed).  It makes me extra stabby. 
The daycare owner? I'd find a new daycare (easier said than done).

My peeve is people who camp in the passing lane. I found that my fellow Minnesotans are some of the worst offenders. I drove from MN to Kansas City and back TWICE in the past month. On both trips, I'd say 90% of the offenders had Minnesota plates. While I did not see this from South Dakota, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas or Iowa cars.

Not sure if it's all of them or just our local store, but our Best Buy has like 10 handicapped parking spaces ... Are there that many handicapped people that shop at Best Buy??  
Blame the law for this. The number of handicapped spaces required is determoned by the total spaces in the lot. 

Blame the law for this. The number of handicapped spaces required is determoned by the total spaces in the lot. 
Gotcha.. Knew there had to be a reason for it..  I've never seen more than 1 or 2 being used whenever I'm out that way.. Just looks odd with all those empty handicapped spaces. But yeah, the parking lot itself is pretty big, so it makes sense now.

This was a common ask/demand when I was a teenager working retail. I doubt it's changed, but I'm guessing the enforcement isn't worth the manager's time is what has.

A similar note: the opposite should apply for gyms. I can't tell you how many people I see driving around and around trying to find a spot close to the door of the gym to go inside and walk on a treadmill. That baffles me.

When I managed at a Papa Johns, I told the drivers to not park by the door. We were on a corner so we had 6 spots but there were stores next to us with spots that the drivers would park in or our spots. We also had spots across the parking lot, about 30 feet away that I asked for them to park in. They didn't get it and they kept parking near the door. You can't fix stupid. 

The Vons near my house has a mini-Starbucks inside.  They actually have a few parking spots, right next to the handicapped spots, dedicated for "our coffee customers".  I park there if one is open.

I'm going to spend $100 on groceries but some goon who is buying a $5 coffichino gets priority parking? Buuulllll####.

Make it easiest for your customers to get to you. Only time employees should be parking so close to the store fronts is if their shift ends after sundown for Safety reasons.  Even then they shouldnt be in the front row.

Damn cell phones. Exponentially increased the number of drivers leaving a full car length in front of them while at stoplights and in turn lanes. 

Of course 3/4 of the time the phone also causes them to be slow to react and the gap widens to 3-4 car lengths before they wake up. I use my horn more than I ever did when I was younger.

Take up that slack and stick to the vehicle in front of you in the turn lane when it turns green!!!

Used to think handicapped drivers were unbelievably awful drivers. Was amazed at how often I would see some idiot swerving, changing lanes without signalling, not going when the light turns green, etc and when I would finally pass them, there it was hanging from the mirror. I used to think was it the medication? The disability? A brace causing issues? 

Eventually I realized that driving while the handicapped tag is hanging from your mirror is against the law and it is clearly in the line of sight. Had nothing to do with being disabled, the tag hanging from the mirror just meant they were already a person more likely to disobey traffic laws and clearly not very bright since they drive around with something that obstructs their view. It also meant that they were lazy since they couldnt be bothered to remove something that says right on it to remove while driving vehicle. All things that make you a worse driver. There are plenty of handicapped drivers that I never even notice driving just fine because they take the thing off their mirror like they are supposed to. 

I like to use the handicapped stalls in bathrooms.  I figure if I don't see any handicapped people on my way to the bathroom, I will be done by the time they would get there anyway.

Many intersections in this area offer multiple left turn lanes.  Typically the leftmost travel lane has a left/straight option, and an additional left turn lane opens near the intersection.

Inevitably, drivers just cruise along in the lane they are already in, and fill it up past the point where the dedicated left-turn lane is accessible, leaving that lane mostly empty throughout the light cycle.  

Traffic backs up to where it takes multiple light cycles to get through the intersection, yet lazy drivers won't fill the lanes so that twice as many cars per cycle could get through.

Idiots.

Morons who do not understand the concept of a traffic circle.  I'm not fond of those morons.

Morons who do not understand the concept of a traffic circle.  I'm not fond of those morons.
Agreed - I pass through 3 circles between home and work and at least once a week, someone already in the circle will stop to try and let me in.  What am I supposed to do in that situation - if I enter and he hits, me it's clearly my fault, so I just wait (sometimes with a horn of encouragement) for them to realize that they have the right of way and I must wait for them.  If fact, yielding established right of way for any reason is dangerous and a peeve in general for me.

Pet peeve: People who have the right of way but don't take it. There's a three-way stop on the way home from work, the side street joining in is on my right. So many times a car there has the right of way and just sits there looking at me until I've waved to them to go.

Damn cell phones. Exponentially increased the number of drivers leaving a full car length in front of them while at stoplights and in turn lanes. 

Of course 3/4 of the time the phone also causes them to be slow to react and the gap widens to 3-4 car lengths before they wake up. I use my horn more than I ever did when I was younger.

Take up that slack and stick to the vehicle in front of you in the turn lane when it turns green!!!
I'm not convinced it's all cell phones but they certainly don't help.  I think people are just worse drivers.  I see people driving in the bicycle lanes or only half getting into the turn lanes with their rear end taking up half of the middle lane so you can't go straight.  I find myself laying on the horn more also.  Plus, I'm more prone to gestures now.

Pet peeve: People who have the right of way but don't take it. There's a three-way stop on the way home from work, the side street joining in is on my right. So many times a car there has the right of way and just sits there looking at me until I've waved to them to go.
I do this quite a bit because I don't trust other drivers to know that I have the right of way.  Way too many times I have had to slam on my breaks because I clearly had the ROW, so I go, and so do they.  It happens so frequently I was beginning to think the law changed.

Cocky BMW/Mercedes/Audi drivers. We all know that most of you can't afford to own that car. Don't act like you do.

Cocky BMW/Mercedes/Audi drivers. We all know that most of you can't afford to own that car. Don't act like you do.
Why do most people think this?  Entry level additions of all these cars are less than a Honda or pickup truck.  Now if you are talking a M4 or S-series sure but 328 and a C-class are cheap.  

Why do most people think this?  Entry level additions of all these cars are less than a Honda or pickup truck.  Now if you are talking a M4 or S-series sure but 328 and a C-class are cheap.  
While entry level of these cars are reasonable, to say cheaper than a Honda is a bit of a stretch.

A top of the line Accord is about the same price of the entry 3 series

Overly aggressive drivers.

I drive the same path home from work every day.  There's a stretch of a street that goes from 2-lane, 40 mph to 1-lane, residential (houses on both sides), 30 mph.  There's even one of those signs that shows you your mph and alerts you if you're over 30 mph.  I always take it easy, right under 30 mph.

Some hothead pr1ckjob in a big-### truck is tailgating me yesterday and when he got his chance, passed me in the median going well over 45.  I give the two hand "what the heck" motion and he must have been looking in his rearview cuz the clown waves back like "see ya, slowpoke".  :lol:

Dude makes a right where I also make a right and he's flying, going at least 40-45 around the bend.  I end up catching up to him on the next street.  

Wow, pal... that aggro move really saved you time.  These are the times I wish the fuzz were just hanging out and saw this clown.   :yawn:

I thought employees were suppose to park at some amount of distance away from the door to leave spots for customers. At one local mall there is a yellow line about 200 feet away from the store in each parking lane where nearest point workers can park.

Users who are viewing this thread