What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Risers and Fallers***2017 (1 Viewer)

According to Fantasy Pros ADP I would think that Jamaal Charles will sky rocket up. He's sitting at RB45 and 126 Overall in PPR.

Booker and CJA are good back ups but Charles is/ can be a true stud. The team needs something that doesn't rely on the QB for big plays. That defense is so good that they can wait for Charles to bust a big run. Yes injuries are a concern but he could vault up 20 positional spots and still be outside the top 24 RBs. 

It's not really a stretch to think he's going to average 5 ypc. Give him 200 carries in a time share and he's at 1000 yards on the ground. Say 35 catches at 8.6 (career average) and he's a 1300 total yards. I'd say that's still a decent return if he vaults up to RB25. Even if he just starts out on pace for something like this but you're worried about his injuries, trade him. One Sports Center highlight with the name recognition that he has should net a decent return. 

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Fantasy Pros ADP I would think that Jamaal Charles will sky rocket up. He's sitting at RB45 and 126 Overall in PPR.

Booker and CJA are good back ups but Charles is/ can be a true stud. The team needs something that doesn't rely on the QB for big plays. That defense is so good that they can wait for Charles to bust a big run. Yes injuries are a concern but he could vault up 20 positional spots and still be outside the top 24 RBs. 

It's not really a stretch to think he's going to average 5 ypc. Give him 200 carries in a time share and he's at 1000 yards on the ground. Say 35 catches at 8.6 (career average) and he's a 1300 total yards. I'd say that's still a decent return if he vaults up to RB25. Even if he just starts out on pace for something like this but you're worried about his injuries, trade him. One Sports Center highlight with the name recognition that he has should net a decent return. 
I have been thinking about the Denver RB situation.  They have a great schedule this year.  Problem is one could see it go through any of those three guys.  I think Charles is done imo.  But who knows

I have been thinking about the Denver RB situation.  They have a great schedule this year.  Problem is one could see it go through any of those three guys.  I think Charles is done imo.  But who knows
My opinion of Booker coming out last year was that he's going to be that back that fills in for a bit and looks good so everyone goes "Why don't they plan him more?!??" Then they do and he's kind of meh. To be fair to him I didn't watch any of his snaps last year though. 

CJA's long run of each season is 27, 48 and 28 yards (not counting his rookie year which was pretty much a red shirt year) and ran a 4.60 at the combine. He doesn't seem like a big play guy and with the QB situation in Denver, I think that is what they need from their RBs. Which is why I think Charles "wins" the lead job and gets 200 carries.

My opinion of Booker coming out last year was that he's going to be that back that fills in for a bit and looks good so everyone goes "Why don't they plan him more?!??" Then they do and he's kind of meh. To be fair to him I didn't watch any of his snaps last year though. 

CJA's long run of each season is 27, 48 and 28 yards (not counting his rookie year which was pretty much a red shirt year) and ran a 4.60 at the combine. He doesn't seem like a big play guy and with the QB situation in Denver, I think that is what they need from their RBs. Which is why I think Charles "wins" the lead job and gets 200 carries.
If I had to bet o would bet on Booker even though he didn't do much last year.  Just a hunch and he's a cheap lotto ticket.  Preseason may help us see the answer

He doesn't seem like a big play guy and with the QB situation in Denver, I think that is what they need from their RBs. Which is why I think Charles "wins" the lead job and gets 200 carries.

I could not disagree more with this statement, and not just about the DEN situation but about football in general.  If a team has a dominant D, they should be about controlling the clock, moving the chains, and not making mistakes.  A team like DEN doesn't need big plays, they just need to keep the other team's D on the field for a long time.  

That goes beyond putting up a lot of wins, it makes a team very difficult to beat.  There's a difference.  Witness their last SB winning season.  That team was just nasty, and the O was not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination - Manning or no Manning.

FWIW, I also agree that Charles is a ways past the downhill turn on his career.  He was awesome in his prime, but he can't stay healthy and his age and size have caught up with him IMO.  It's well documented that I do not believe in Booker for reasons I have posted elsewhere. You want a late round dart to throw in the DEN backfield, get De'Angelo Henderson before the rest of your league finds out about him.

Bronco Billy said:
I could not disagree more with this statement, and not just about the DEN situation but about football in general.  If a team has a dominant D, they should be about controlling the clock, moving the chains, and not making mistakes.  A team like DEN doesn't need big plays, they just need to keep the other team's D on the field for a long time.  
What are you even talking about? I'm projecting Charles (a proven veteran back) to get 200 carries in a time share. That's a team being safe and running the ball. You talk about controlling the ball and moving the chains with long sustained drives (if they are keeping the others teams D on the field) but that's the goal of almost every single team in the league. I'm pretty sure if you asked any coach what the ideal outcome of a drive is that they'd say "a long drive that ended in a score". It's not just some easy casual thing to do. Especially, with the QBs that Denver has.

The Broncos need a back who can maximize yards when there is the odd blown coverage. CJA is likely only to get maybe 25 yards on those big plays but Charles has the potential to get a lot more. This is important because in all but 1 of their 7 losses last year they scored less than 21 points. Of their wins, 8 of 9 (or 7 of 8 if you throw out the Week 17 nothing game against Oakland) they scored 21 or more. 

The best way to be conservative but to still score is with a dynamic RB. If you think CJA is good enough for that role and Charles is done, fine. That's a different conversation. Anderson only averaged 4.0 ypc in 2 of his 7 games last year. He also averaged below 3.0 ypc in two of 7 games last year. If Denver is going to have a RB average 3.97 ypc (or Booker at 3.5 ypc) why not have a guy who can at least break a big run when they get the chance. I would bet that a quarter of Denvers offensive TDs last year came from big plays (over 20 yards).

The whole point is that this offense isn't going to have enough success sustaining and converting drives into points. They might have longer drives with Anderson in the backfield but how many result in points? 

Risers

• Alshon Jeffrey (current FFC ADP - WR15) - on a one year deal in PHI with 2nd year ascending QB in Wentz.  A year removed from averaging 6/90 per game.
  • Martavis Bryant (WR22) - bottom line is this.  Draft season is rose-colored glasses season.  Josh Gordon's draft stock soared on two TD catches from RGIII in pre-season last year.  Bryant isn't nearly the habitual offender Gordon was and he has BB throwing him the ball with Antonio drawing coverage.  Could see him as early as WR11-12 when all is said and done.
  • John Brown (WR42) - for reasons already mentioned.
  • Devante Parker (WR36) - Dolphins now talking him up...likely won't stop doing so during pre-season which means Parker's first round pedigree will vault him iabove the Willie Snead's/Golden Tate's of the world.
  • Tyrell Williams (WR49) - lowest ranked 2016 1,000 yard receiver.  Next lowest is Pierre Garçon at WR39.  And his QB is now Hoyer.
  • Todd Gurley (RB11) - lost in his awful 2016 was the fact that he still accumulated 1200+ YFS and 6 TD's in a nightmare season all-around.
  • Adrian Peterson (RB19) - he's a year removed from 1700+ YFS and 11 TD's.  I'd attribute his slow start last year to the fact that Sam Bradford's time in the offense could still be measured in days when the season kicked off.  His offense is now helmed by Drew Brees.  And after playing just 20 games the last three seasons, I think the 32 year old body thing is being way overplayed.
  • Dalvin Cook (RB26) - 1st round pedigree but fell in the draft due to off-field and testing concerns.  The one player on offense that MIN can build around.
Fallers

• Brandin Cooks (WR11) - Brady still has Gronk and Edelman to throw to.  Not to mention James White/Dion Lewis/Dwayne Allen/Malcom Mitchell.  And Brady knows how to feed them all.  And if Cooks goes all 'closed mouths don't get fed' under Belichick...?  Well...let's just say that won't fly.
  • Tyreek Hill (WR20) - Being drafted higher than Jeremy Maclin was last year. Kelce is clearly the #1 option in that passing game.  Not having established himself as a true offensive centerpiece, drafters will get cold feet.
  • Carlos Hyde (RB18) - Kyle Shanahan is a 2 RB coach. Wants to split the workload.  Hyde's value last year was in his volume.  Whispers also that Hyde isn't a Shanahan-type RB' are also out there and the Joe Williams story (about how he was drafted) will scare folk as pre-season coverage intensifies.  He's an RB you settle for.
  • Mike Gillislee (RB23) - Gillislee and Rex Burkhead essentially signed for the same amount of ACV.  And the Patriots also have The aforementioned James White/Dion Lewis.  People will realize they want no part of this backfield early in their draft.

What are you even talking about? I'm projecting Charles (a proven veteran back) to get 200 carries in a time share. That's a team being safe and running the ball. You talk about controlling the ball and moving the chains with long sustained drives (if they are keeping the others teams D on the field) but that's the goal of almost every single team in the league. I'm pretty sure if you asked any coach what the ideal outcome of a drive is that they'd say "a long drive that ended in a score". It's not just some easy casual thing to do. Especially, with the QBs that Denver has.

The Broncos need a back who can maximize yards when there is the odd blown coverage. CJA is likely only to get maybe 25 yards on those big plays but Charles has the potential to get a lot more. This is important because in all but 1 of their 7 losses last year they scored less than 21 points. Of their wins, 8 of 9 (or 7 of 8 if you throw out the Week 17 nothing game against Oakland) they scored 21 or more. 

The best way to be conservative but to still score is with a dynamic RB. If you think CJA is good enough for that role and Charles is done, fine. That's a different conversation. Anderson only averaged 4.0 ypc in 2 of his 7 games last year. He also averaged below 3.0 ypc in two of 7 games last year. If Denver is going to have a RB average 3.97 ypc (or Booker at 3.5 ypc) why not have a guy who can at least break a big run when they get the chance. I would bet that a quarter of Denvers offensive TDs last year came from big plays (over 20 yards).

The whole point is that this offense isn't going to have enough success sustaining and converting drives into points. They might have longer drives with Anderson in the backfield but how many result in points? 

What am I talking about?  I thought I was pretty clear.  You said DEN required big plays out of their RBs.  I disagreed and stated that they could be a tougher out if they get consistent chain-moving ball control mistake free play that keeps the opponents D on the field longer. 

Is that clear enough?

I also posted that I felt Charles has pretty much completed his career given his recent injuries, his age, and that he isn't a big back; whereas you feel he can manage at least 200 carries plus receptions.  If my position is correct, DEN will have to look elsewhere for the predominance of its rushing yards, which is what I am expecting.  I see Charles as a possible part time piece at best, whereas you clearly see him as the lead back.

Does that help to clarify my opinion?

What am I talking about?  I thought I was pretty clear.  You said DEN required big plays out of their RBs.  I disagreed and stated that they could be a tougher out if they get consistent chain-moving ball control mistake free play that keeps the opponents D on the field longer. 

Is that clear enough?
In the NFL it isn't just that simple to consistently move the chains, control the ball and play mistake free. Denver specifically was 28th in first downs per game last year. If you use that same website you can also see that they were 20th in scoring but tied for 14th in total plays. And 1.9 TDs per game has them tied for 23rd. 

In theory, yes it would be best to do what you're talking about but it is not that easy to actually execute on Sundays. I actually agree with you that they need to do these things (as I'm sure everyone would since it's a good general concept) and I'm sure everyone could agree that putting the ball more in the hands of Siemian and Lynch probably might be the best way to accomplish these goals. Since the Broncos are 28th in 1st downs but 14th in plays, they shouldn't be much more inefficient with a big play guy but they would end up with more potential of scoring on those big plays when they do happen.

I'm just playing out what I think to be a possible scenario for Charles to become the lead back.

My last post I was kind of a jerk and I apologize.

I also posted that I felt Charles has pretty much completed his career given his recent injuries, his age, and that he isn't a big back; whereas you feel he can manage at least 200 carries plus receptions.  If my position is correct, DEN will have to look elsewhere for the predominance of its rushing yards, which is what I am expecting.  I see Charles as a possible part time piece at best, whereas you clearly see him as the lead back.

Does that help to clarify my opinion?
Your position on Charles was always clear. What you're missing is that it could happen and his current price of 126 overall in PPR ADP he could be a huge value. Even if he were to move up 20 positional spots to RB25 he'd be in the Doug Martin, Bilal Powell, AP, Mike Gillislee range. 

The whole point of the thread is Risers and Fallers. Assuming these guys don't get injured, I don't think there will be many negative reports out of Broncos camp about Charles because every preseason coaches and media almost exclusively just talk guys up. So to hear good things about Charles during training camp/preseason and then look at Martin, Bilal Powell, AP and Gillislee who all have their only issues then why not Charles. Again, this would be if rose up 20 spots.

If you're still not convinced Charles will be a riser then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. 

In the NFL it isn't just that simple to consistently move the chains, control the ball and play mistake free. Denver specifically was 28th in first downs per game last year. If you use that same website you can also see that they were 20th in scoring but tied for 14th in total plays. And 1.9 TDs per game has them tied for 23rd. 

In theory, yes it would be best to do what you're talking about but it is not that easy to actually execute on Sundays. I actually agree with you that they need to do these things (as I'm sure everyone would since it's a good general concept) and I'm sure everyone could agree that putting the ball more in the hands of Siemian and Lynch probably might be the best way to accomplish these goals. Since the Broncos are 28th in 1st downs but 14th in plays, they shouldn't be much more inefficient with a big play guy but they would end up with more potential of scoring on those big plays when they do happen.

I'm just playing out what I think to be a possible scenario for Charles to become the lead back.

My last post I was kind of a jerk and I apologize.

Your position on Charles was always clear. What you're missing is that it could happen and his current price of 126 overall in PPR ADP he could be a huge value. Even if he were to move up 20 positional spots to RB25 he'd be in the Doug Martin, Bilal Powell, AP, Mike Gillislee range. 

The whole point of the thread is Risers and Fallers. Assuming these guys don't get injured, I don't think there will be many negative reports out of Broncos camp about Charles because every preseason coaches and media almost exclusively just talk guys up. So to hear good things about Charles during training camp/preseason and then look at Martin, Bilal Powell, AP and Gillislee who all have their only issues then why not Charles. Again, this would be if rose up 20 spots.

If you're still not convinced Charles will be a riser then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Bah no worries.  Let's discuss.  We're big boys.

I think the rules are different for teams with prolific extraordinary QBs.  The mentality in that circumstance should be to put points on the board quickly to apply pressure on the other team to keep up.  That leads to mistakes.

But for the other 26 teams, +/-, the name of the game should be ball control.  Look at the stats of teams who don't turn the ball over and control the clock.  Then look at the teams who put up the most big plays.   On that latter list you'll find teams like SF, CLE, MIA, and BUF among the top third in the league.  Game theory subscribes to teams keeping the ball away from the other team - especially when the D is the strength of the team.  Field position and clock management, wearing down their D while you wait for their mistakes.   Do you take big plays when they happen?  Sure, but you don't need them to win.  Play keep away and don't beat yourself.

Borden said:

So Charles is your sleeper (super sleeper if you really buy the 200 carries), but for him to actually be a riser other people have to believe he's back. He's only got 83 carries in the past 2 years, he got like a 1-year $900k contract, and he's the dreaded age of 30. I can't see many people jumping on this bandwagon unless CJA gets hurt in the preseason.

Personally, I'm pretty skeptical. If he was that confident in his abilities, wouldn't he have held out for more money or a better situation?

Just in case it hasn't been said and somebody believes this, this web site is a prank news site.
Please give me proof that Rivers isn't in serious legal trouble. Until I get that, I am going to have to assume Rivers is involved in a transexual prostitution ring. 

So Charles is your sleeper (super sleeper if you really buy the 200 carries), but for him to actually be a riser other people have to believe he's back. He's only got 83 carries in the past 2 years, he got like a 1-year $900k contract, and he's the dreaded age of 30. I can't see many people jumping on this bandwagon unless CJA gets hurt in the preseason.

Personally, I'm pretty skeptical. If he was that confident in his abilities, wouldn't he have held out for more money or a better situation?
I think the issue is no NFL team was confident in his abilities and so a contract with no guaranteed money was all he could get. 

I think the issue is no NFL team was confident in his abilities and so a contract with no guaranteed money was all he could get. 
Yeah, that doesn't fill me with confidence about his FF prospects. I think Elway was just throwing a cheap dart. I'll be really surprised if other people start to buy in and he becomes a riser (without an unforeseeable injury to an incumbent). 

Yeah, that doesn't fill me with confidence about his FF prospects. I think Elway was just throwing a cheap dart. I'll be really surprised if other people start to buy in and he becomes a riser (without an unforeseeable injury to an incumbent). 
My guess is he gets cut. 

His contract your right is 900k base. Then 100k work out bonus and a 480k roster bonus. Then he has a bunch of performance bonuses starting at 500 scrimmage yards up to 1400 + team playoffs. I'm not saying this in regards to our discussion, sometimes I just find these things interesting. 

There's a few reasons why I think he will rise. Forget completely about my wishful thinking projections and think about it like this. A big name stud goes to a run heavy team. Now add in that you can already find a few articles on Charles being the best back when healthy.

The other thing that us turbo dorks forget is the casual people out weigh us and will have a big impact on ADP. When they are looking at names to pick in Charles ADP range 116 to 126 (Charles is 126) it's Mike Wallace, Adam Theilen, Jordan Mathews, Duke Johnson, Jack Doyle, Matt Stafford, Eric Ebron, Terrence West,  Kenny Britt, Jonathan Stewart. I don't think any of those names carry the weight that Charles does. I'm sure some fantasy "expert" will talk up Charles as a sleeper too.

And if he breaks a long run against some practice squad defense (since CJ should be on first team O) he will definitely rise.

His contract your right is 900k base. Then 100k work out bonus and a 480k roster bonus. Then he has a bunch of performance bonuses starting at 500 scrimmage yards up to 1400 + team playoffs. I'm not saying this in regards to our discussion, sometimes I just find these things interesting. 

There's a few reasons why I think he will rise. Forget completely about my wishful thinking projections and think about it like this. A big name stud goes to a run heavy team. Now add in that you can already find a few articles on Charles being the best back when healthy.

The other thing that us turbo dorks forget is the casual people out weigh us and will have a big impact on ADP. When they are looking at names to pick in Charles ADP range 116 to 126 (Charles is 126) it's Mike Wallace, Adam Theilen, Jordan Mathews, Duke Johnson, Jack Doyle, Matt Stafford, Eric Ebron, Terrence West,  Kenny Britt, Jonathan Stewart. I don't think any of those names carry the weight that Charles does. I'm sure some fantasy "expert" will talk up Charles as a sleeper too.

And if he breaks a long run against some practice squad defense (since CJ should be on first team O) he will definitely rise.
These are good points. And I agree that casual people are the ones mostly impacting ADP, but remember that the common narrative among casual fans is that Charles is toast. People have been burned by him two years in a row and if they didn't own him they watched him sitting atop the waiver wire all year long. Most casual fans just draft blindly by their cheatsheets based on need.

200 carries???  Coming off all his surgeries. I don't think it will happen. Maybe 150 carries at best and I think it will be closer to 100.

I guess about the late 3rd round/early 4th round. He’s a huge difference maker and people won’t let him slip very far
No way he gets out of the 2nd round.  He's far more important to me in weeks 14-16 than 1-6 anyway, I'm not afraid of 6 weeks at all, it's not like you are taking his donuts at the position.  Draft McFadden and Morris a bit earlier if you must, the purpose of your 4th RB is to cover risk of missing time anyway and it's not like you're starting Matt Forte if Elliott is healthy so McFadden is a zero opportunity cost in that slot.

No way he gets out of the 2nd round.  He's far more important to me in weeks 14-16 than 1-6 anyway, I'm not afraid of 6 weeks at all, it's not like you are taking his donuts at the position.  Draft McFadden and Morris a bit earlier if you must, the purpose of your 4th RB is to cover risk of missing time anyway and it's not like you're starting Matt Forte if Elliott is healthy so McFadden is a zero opportunity cost in that slot.
Is Zeke this mysterious 6 game suspension player that everyone is talking about?

Those who are interested in the Denver backfield should be glad that Charles is there to drive down the price of the Denver RBs who will actually be healthy enough to play most games. 

Hankmoody said:
On second thought your probably right. I could see him going in the later part of the second round or early 3rd.

Hankmoody said:
It depends how many teams make the playoffs. To take a guy in the 2nd round who you can't play in 7 games is a risky move. That is more than half of the regular season. Zeke isn't helpful in weeks 14-16 if a team doesn't make the playoffs. Plus roster size is important. The smaller the roster, the more value Zeke loses. Holding on to Zeke for 7 weeks also means you could be missing on important breakout players, QBs you need to hold for streaming, handcuffs, etc. 

Somewhat of a side tangent on this investigation into Elliot. In a spoiler as a attempt to not clog up the thread. 

The NFL has put themselves behind the 8-ball now. If a video is released of him doing something wrong from before last season (I believe that's the incident that they are still investigating) the "public" will condemn the league for not suspending him earlier. And assume they knew about it the whole time. This will happen no matter what suspension they hand down since he has already been able to capitalize/monetize off of that season.

If they do hand out a suspension now without any kind of video then Elliot and PA should sue them. His case was dismissed and without any proof (or actual wrong doing!) they should have a strong argument. Even if they didn't want to approach it as a business or contract or CBA issue, they might be able to call it a defamation case. I (obviously) am not a lawyer but it seems like this is a bad direction to go as well. *The Brady suspension makes nervous though. Complete BS. And that's from a Bills fan that hates Brady.

The third option is that nothing comes from this. The league closes the investigation and walks away. 

There is the possibility that the league has or has knowledge of evidence that he did something wrong but is sitting on it. Presumably, they are just hoping that nothing ever goes public. But that's a bit...  :tinfoilhat:

If I had to bet o would bet on Booker even though he didn't do much last year.  Just a hunch and he's a cheap lotto ticket.  Preseason may help us see the answer
I am still very high on Booker and I have read a couple good things things about him this offseason, although for the most part it has been very quiet in regards to him.

I am hoping he continues to fly under the radar and that I can snatch him up at rock bottom prices.

I agree with Borden that as long as Jamal Charles stays healthy enough his ADP will likely rise going into redraft season.

Somewhat of a side tangent on this investigation into Elliot. In a spoiler as a attempt to not clog up the thread. 

What is this rumored incident? 

Given the time I think they are sitting as well. I don't think he'd fall much... even if he's suspended for a game or two, or 4 (worst case IMO). Bell dropped to 1.10 for me last year because of his 4 game suspension and I was beyond surprised. I wouldn't see Zeke falling further than 1.06

What is this rumored incident? 

Given the time I think they are sitting as well. I don't think he'd fall much... even if he's suspended for a game or two, or 4 (worst case IMO). Bell dropped to 1.10 for me last year because of his 4 game suspension and I was beyond surprised. I wouldn't see Zeke falling further than 1.06
The domestic abuse thing with beating up his girlfriend from last summer and the number Schefter floated out was 6 games

The domestic abuse thing with beating up his girlfriend from last summer and the number Schefter floated out was 6 games
Was there ever any proof?  I thought this was all over with last summer.  I thought  the accuser was falsely claiming all this cause he broke up with her, i could be wrong on that.  But I do think it says something the police and authorities never even charged him

Was there ever any proof?  I thought this was all over with last summer.  I thought  the accuser was falsely claiming all this cause he broke up with her, i could be wrong on that.  But I do think it says something the police and authorities never even charged him
Something maybe but not a lot.  Many incidents aren't charged if it isn't likely to get a conviction, yet they still happened.  The burden on the league administratively is lower and the rules of evidence are lax. 

Might be nothing, but the lack of civilian prosecution doesn't make it so. 

I don't know much about it, I just know that Schefter said in the eyes of the NFL, this incident is not resolved. 

Something maybe but not a lot.  Many incidents aren't charged if it isn't likely to get a conviction, yet they still happened.  The burden on the league administratively is lower and the rules of evidence are lax. 

Something must have happened in the past few months to force the league to revisit it

Growing sense Elliott faces short suspension

Adam Schefter is hearing that while the investigation is still ongoing, Ezekiel Elliott is bracing for a short suspension stemming back to his alleged domestic violence incident in 2016.

link

Users who are viewing this thread