What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official PSF Moderation Thread*** (2 Viewers)

NCCommish said:
 You have a tool use it or stop complaining. They can't see every post in every thread.
Let it go..we are grown adults.

I was a Mod for a Labrador Retriever forum that was worldwide with over 50K members.  It was way worse than this place with people insulting each other about food and training and whatever and there was no political talk. 

This forum is as docile as it gets for public forums.
Not according to a good number.  Anyway, NCC's point was the mods have asked us to report things.  People whine about a specific incident and when asked if they did as the mods asked and reported it, he gets the childish "pfft....I'm too badass to report people....that's for whiners".  You can't deny the irony there.  And thus my point from before....if people would just do as the mods ask, there are plenty around here to draw attention to shots at either the left or the right.  The reason one happens more than the other is NOT board demographics it's simply an unwillingness to do what the mods asked them to do and then, in the richest irony ever known to man whine about how the mods mod.

Joe Bryant said:
The Commish said:
Again....tough to say given peoples' unwillingness to be honest but 30ish and 50ish?  I'm not a big fan of either if that helps.
Thanks.

My personal take from just knowing the board is it's more like 

10% view Graham as favorable

and

60% view AOC as favorable. 

But either way, it seems like there are way more people here that view AOC as favorable than there are people who view Graham as favorable. 

So when someone calls AOC a moron, it's much more likely it'll be reported simply because there are more people that view her favorably. 

That's what I mean by demographics affecting the number of reports we see and what is reported. 

It's not bad. It's just a function of the demographics. 
To be fair, I don't pay much attention to the alias nation around here.  I can't count how many times I've been going round and round with someone only to be told by another poster "you realize that's really person X, right?"  I guess you guys have better insight into who's who.  I don't and it's mainly why I stick to the comment made rather than the person making it.  

I get that there's a larger pool of anti-Trump people around here and thus the higher possibility of something being reported.  I just don't think many of those whining about your moderation are doing what you asked.  If they were, there's be significantly more action taken.  They are content to create the environment they are professing to hate by not reporting, then whining about it.

Let it go..we are grown adults.

I was a Mod for a Labrador Retriever forum that was worldwide with over 50K members.  It was way worse than this place with people insulting each other about food and training and whatever and there was no political talk. 

This forum is as docile as it gets for public forums.
Oh I agree. I've never reported anyone I would feel silly. And yeah I've been places that are actually what some try to make this place seem to be. It's pretty tame here these days. Well by my standards. 

For those of you who are against reporting, here's a thought exercise:

What would this place be like if nobody reported anyone?

I don't report often but have on occasion.  I think it's needed to keep the level of discourse above the cesspool level with any consistency.  

I don't report often but have on occasion.  I think it's needed to keep the level of discourse above the cesspool level with any consistency.  
 Oh I don’t disagree. It’s just that I don’t care to do it. 

I had already thought, without the exercise, that we'd be better off moderating ourselves rather than using a report button.  As pointed out endlessly; the report button is used way too often by way too few of the people.   That causes regulation to be heavily skewed to those few people's points of view.  Ideally we could moderate ourselves during normal discussion and handle posters we simply disagree with while a moderator goes through and removes posts and posters that are way over the line on what the owners of the board want to see.  The problem is the forum isn't moderated at all, it relies on the report button that gets used for things that aren't even close to over the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had already thought, without the exercise, that we'd be better off moderating ourselves rather than using a report button.  As pointed out endlessly; the report button is used way too often by way too few of the people.   That causes regulation to be heavily skewed to those few people's points of view.  Ideally we could moderate ourselves during normal discussion and handle posters we simply disagree with while a moderator goes through and removes posts and posters that are way over the line on what the owners of the board want to see.  The problem is the forum isn't moderated at all, it relies on the report button that gets used for things that aren't even close to over the line.
Maybe I don't understand, but it seems like you are suggesting that moderators read every post to find ones "way over the line".  I know Joe thinks the time and effort to do that is unreasonable.  For a board that's free, that makes sense to me.

If a poster is reporting posts that they shouldn't over and over, isn't it up to the moderators to deal with that by telling the reporter?  And if that poster keeps reporting posts inappropriately, wouldn't it be reasonable to start warning/suspension procedures since that poster is wasting their time?  If that is allowed to happen (I'm skeptical), frankly that's just poor moderation, in my opinion.

I think we need to move away from sides in this.  If someone posts something they shouldn't, they should expect ramifications.  If liberals are getting away with saying things that conservatives can't, the problem isn't that the conservatives are disciplined.  It's that the liberals aren't being reported. 

One thing that I think is unfortunate is this idea that liberals should report conservatives and conservatives should report liberals.  I remember the last person I reported.  I'm a liberal and I reported a liberal for saying something inappropriate about a conservative poster.  If it's wrong, it's wrong.  It shouldn't have anything to do with politics.

Final point.  It's quite easy to never get in trouble here whatever your political beliefs are.  All you have to do is disagree respectfully and know when you should walk away from an exchange.  

Maybe I don't understand, but it seems like you are suggesting that moderators read every post to find ones "way over the line".  I know Joe thinks the time and effort to do that is unreasonable.  For a board that's free, that makes sense to me.

If a poster is reporting posts that they shouldn't over and over, isn't it up to the moderators to deal with that by telling the reporter?  And if that poster keeps reporting posts inappropriately, wouldn't it be reasonable to start warning/suspension procedures since that poster is wasting their time?  If that is allowed to happen (I'm skeptical), frankly that's just poor moderation, in my opinion.

I think we need to move away from sides in this.  If someone posts something they shouldn't, they should expect ramifications.  If liberals are getting away with saying things that conservatives can't, the problem isn't that the conservatives are disciplined.  It's that the liberals aren't being reported. 

One thing that I think is unfortunate is this idea that liberals should report conservatives and conservatives should report liberals.  I remember the last person I reported.  I'm a liberal and I reported a liberal for saying something inappropriate about a conservative poster.  If it's wrong, it's wrong.  It shouldn't have anything to do with politics.

Final point.  It's quite easy to never get in trouble here whatever your political beliefs are.  All you have to do is disagree respectfully and know when you should walk away from an exchange.  
:shrug:  It's part of the FBG brand which is a business to make money.  Most boards have moderators and if you really care that much what is posted then that's pretty much the job of a moderator.   If you don't then let the posters sort it out themselves.

Agree with this model they'd need to tell those other posters, but, look at slapdash's case.  He got criticized for it and didn't even know until he saw it on his record, I never check and could care less what's on my record.  That seems like a lot of work to.

I'm not against reporting, especially something that is over the line.  I think I've maybe reported 3-4 posts ever (that I remember) and may 1-2 of those in PSF and the others in the FFA.  I find the ignore feature to be much better, easier and I wish more people used it.  My guess is that 50% of my ignore list are aliases that are now banned but when a new alias pops up that appears to be from a banned poster I just immediately put them on ignore.

Report, don't report. It doesn't matter to me. I've rarely used the report button in the 10+ years on this board. 

I would like a board ruling on whether or not telling other posters to stop quoting a poster is whining? 

What conservative posters are complaining about is the fact that Tanner's multiple accounts are allowed to exist at all.

(They don't seem to have the same complaints about alias accounts associated with conservative posters, however.)
Tanner probably has 150,000 posts. Trying to compare the issue with his multiple accounts to anyone else on this board is ridiculous.  

Example of what I mean on demographics.

This post talking TDS and loonies was made today https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753767-the-trump-years-every-day-something-more-shocking-than-the-last/?do=findComment&comment=21800428

It instantly had multiple people report it. As it should have. We don't want posts like that here. The poster was suspended.

But something posted equally bad against the Anti Trump crowd would have seen way less reports. 

Simply because of the numbers. We see this type of thing play out every day. 

This post talking TDS and loonies was made today https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753767-the-trump-years-every-day-something-more-shocking-than-the-last/?do=findComment&comment=21800428

It instantly had multiple people report it. As it should have. We don't want posts like that here. The poster was suspended.

But something posted equally bad against the Anti Trump crowd would have seen way less reports. 

Curious Joe....what's generally the number of reports that gets moderation attention?  I know you must have many of these things come through daily.  For example...at my work, I monitor particular systems...after I get 3-4 emails with the same error, I investigate.  What's that number for reported posts around here?

Why can`t some people receive messages?  Needed to let someone know something that was not quite appropriate for the general board.

Curious Joe....what's generally the number of reports that gets moderation attention?  I know you must have many of these things come through daily.  For example...at my work, I monitor particular systems...after I get 3-4 emails with the same error, I investigate.  What's that number for reported posts around here?
That is one of the biggest problems I have always had with the report button.  My single report rarely would produce action by the mods, and these are for things like insinuating I am a pedophile or calling me a racist. So I usually would eventually feel the need to respond back.   My response back gets multiple reports and immediate attention and response by the mods.   It is particular tough when there are multiple posters being jerks by insulting your intelligence and mocking you and being complete tools, and in a way a single report won't get any action.  My response in kind would always get immediate attention from the mods because there were so many reports.   

It is not unusual for a conservative poster to be pitted against 6 or 7 posters with more leftist views on the topic.  It is very difficult to have a good discussion when those 6 to 7 posters have more leeway with the mods.   It is not like I am staking out any crazy position from the fringe, my positions are usually held by the majority of conservatives or even the majority of people, but in here you are treated like a kook for that.  

Re: reports

I can't speak for Joe or any of the Mods, but I imagine every report gets reviewed.  I don't think it takes a magic number.  I also imagine there is a log of reports that Joe can review when he has time to see what was reported, any that are still open, and the action taken, if any.

What we sometimes forget is that the Mods are not full-time hall monitors who react immediately to every report.  Sometimes it takes time.  And, sometimes, not every report rises to the level of action.  Just because you report a post - does not make it objectionable.

That is one of the biggest problems I have always had with the report button.  My single report rarely would produce action by the mods, and these are for things like insinuating I am a pedophile or calling me a racist. So I usually would eventually feel the need to respond back.   My response back gets multiple reports and immediate attention and response by the mods.   It is particular tough when there are multiple posters being jerks by insulting your intelligence and mocking you and being complete tools, and in a way a single report won't get any action.  My response in kind would always get immediate attention from the mods because there were so many reports.   

It is not unusual for a conservative poster to be pitted against 6 or 7 posters with more leftist views on the topic.  It is very difficult to have a good discussion when those 6 to 7 posters have more leeway with the mods.   It is not like I am staking out any crazy position from the fringe, my positions are usually held by the majority of conservatives or even the majority of people, but in here you are treated like a kook for that.  
Maybe the stuff you reported wasn’t deemed inappropriate by the mods?

*******SERIOUS POST ALERT**********

In an effort to bring all sides together, can we put a stop to all these threads about individual politicians?  This is getting out of hand.
I actually like those threads.  They provide an easy landing spot for stories involving those folks, kind of like player-specific threads in whatever forum it is that deals with magic football.

I actually like those threads.  They provide an easy landing spot for stories involving those folks, kind of like player-specific threads in whatever forum it is that deals with magic football.
You guys have at it.  I'll just wade past them.  I guess this is a "get off my lawn moment" and others aren't shuked by them as I am.  I'll stick to the threads of the stories involving those people.  

Then be upset with those not reporting.  That's not a mod issue :shrug:  I'll, again, point out that I don't have a problem discussing points with those that have "leftist views".  I suspect that's primarily because I've made it clear I respect their opinions even if I don't agree.  I also don't hold my opinion in any higher regard than anyone else's.  It's my opinion and I am comfortable with it even if it's in the minority.  Of course it's easier when one is part of the majority on things, but that's not always the case.

Another explanation for your lack of success with the report button is maybe they don't agree with your interpretation of what was said.  This goes to posting history I'd suspect.  Not sure a way around that.

The bolded...just makes me laugh.

To claim this ignores so many things that have happened on here.

There's a reason the forum needs moderation. People get worked up when they talk about politics.  It's hard to fathom that someone else really and truly looks at the exact same information and believes something that's diametrically opposed to what you believe, and it's even more frustrating when they try to change the laws to fit their world view when it's the exact opposite of yours. 

It's also hard to discuss these things with the same crowd, day after day, and not try to use humor.  But it's hard to hear "humor" from the other side and not feel insulted. 

I listened to a conservative explain why it was totally ok for a guy who said trump couldn't be guilty of obstruction to be appointed by trump, declare that trump was innocent, then hand the investigation of trump to trump to decide what should be redacted, and then quote trump's misquote of that report as "TOTAL EXONERATION"... and my honest response was just laughter.  I just don't see how an intelligent adult who follows this stuff thinks that is ok. 

But i also think it's ok for right wingers to celebrate the apparent victory that the mueller report will not lead to further indictments, and to laugh at people who thought it was going to lead to the president getting charged for treason.  

I hope that there's more of us between those two extremes than either side would like to admit. 

I don't think anyone on the left really wanted to admit right away that they got out maneuvered on this, but the more concerning thing was the thought that the whole thing might have been a lie.  I don't think you'll find many lefties who say it right now but the first thing most of them thought was oh no, what if i've been duped. 

And the righties probably had the opposite experience.  I think most of them were high fiving excitedly when barr's summary first came out. I think that elation would die down a bit when they realize the potential that this was just more corruption.  Nobody on the right is going to lead with it in an internet message board debate but i hope people saying that trump was exonerated are really saying "i'm happy that trump isn't going to face charges from the Mueller report and that the left was embarrassed, but i hope that he really was exonerated and i hope if the information ever becomes public it confirms what i believe". 

Those are pretty compatible positions. Both sides want things to work out favorably for their best interests and both sides act more confident in their beliefs than they really are (or should be).

I don't think it's trolling to say "TOTAL EXONERATION" or for someone to respond to that with a lmao. That's normal adult conversation. I don't even think it's that bad to make fun of someone a little. 

People clicking report over minor stuff are annoying to the mods and nobody else. Whining about the lmao smiley as a grown up is embarrassing and demanding justice for it deserves to be mocked.  Stop it.

What conservative posters are complaining about is the fact that Tanner's multiple accounts are allowed to exist at all.

(They don't seem to have the same complaints about alias accounts associated with conservative posters, however.)
I started this conversation about tanner and I will say for me the bold is correct. I got an alias clipped because Epic Problem likely reported it(which I think is a limp ditka alias but I am not positive, irony there if true). I say he probably reported it because he called it out in a thread and then 10 minutes later poof. Although I am sure it could have been any number of other prolific report button users. Tanner is the easiest to point out because he has so many of them and he doesn't exactly hide the fact that they are him and that he gets suspended. Pretty easy to see which ones are his by reading a couple pages in GMTAN. 

So if my account gets clipped because Epic Problem whined, then I want to know why other people are allowed to do it. The explanations given so far are junk. I dont think tanner's "main account" is even around anymore so it is easy cover for the mods. 

I would rather they just say it is our board and we decide who can post and have alias accounts and who can't. Tanner probably creates lots of traffic for them because he is a popular poster with many and also disliked by many and he has like 474,000,323 posts. So he is probably good for business. I can live in that world. Kind of like when your boss just tells you to do something and you have to do it.  

I would have never cared about tanners accounts if mine wasn't clipped. I have never liked tanner, but never complained a peep about his accounts until now. The fact that his accounts exist is clearly preferential treatment. I just would prefer they admit it as such. 

There's a reason the forum needs moderation. People get worked up when they talk about politics.  It's hard to fathom that someone else really and truly looks at the exact same information and believes something that's diametrically opposed to what you believe, and it's even more frustrating when they try to change the laws to fit their world view when it's the exact opposite of yours. 

It's also hard to discuss these things with the same crowd, day after day, and not try to use humor.  But it's hard to hear "humor" from the other side and not feel insulted. 

I listened to a conservative explain why it was totally ok for a guy who said trump couldn't be guilty of obstruction to be appointed by trump, declare that trump was innocent, then hand the investigation of trump to trump to decide what should be redacted, and then quote trump's misquote of that report as "TOTAL EXONERATION"... and my honest response was just laughter.  I just don't see how an intelligent adult who follows this stuff thinks that is ok. 

But i also think it's ok for right wingers to celebrate the apparent victory that the mueller report will not lead to further indictments, and to laugh at people who thought it was going to lead to the president getting charged for treason.  

I hope that there's more of us between those two extremes than either side would like to admit. 

I don't think anyone on the left really wanted to admit right away that they got out maneuvered on this, but the more concerning thing was the thought that the whole thing might have been a lie.  I don't think you'll find many lefties who say it right now but the first thing most of them thought was oh no, what if i've been duped. 

And the righties probably had the opposite experience.  I think most of them were high fiving excitedly when barr's summary first came out. I think that elation would die down a bit when they realize the potential that this was just more corruption.  Nobody on the right is going to lead with it in an internet message board debate but i hope people saying that trump was exonerated are really saying "i'm happy that trump isn't going to face charges from the Mueller report and that the left was embarrassed, but i hope that he really was exonerated and i hope if the information ever becomes public it confirms what i believe". 

Those are pretty compatible positions. Both sides want things to work out favorably for their best interests and both sides act more confident in their beliefs than they really are (or should be).

I don't think it's trolling to say "TOTAL EXONERATION" or for someone to respond to that with a lmao. That's normal adult conversation. I don't even think it's that bad to make fun of someone a little. 

People clicking report over minor stuff are annoying to the mods and nobody else. Whining about the lmao smiley as a grown up is embarrassing and demanding justice for it deserves to be mocked.  Stop it.
:goodposting:  Especially the bold.  If there is a standard that is expected a political forum ought to be moderated or cut out all together.  Report button is silly.

I often dispute untrue things.

Not long ago when a poster was suspended for 10 days for a comment about the NRA...did you even receive a warning for calling him a tool?
Again, don't get confused.

It wasn't just a "comment about the NRA". The poster claimed the NRA had a history of celebrating mass shootings. Than backpedaled when he got pushback. Just a tad more than "a comment." 

I started this conversation about tanner and I will say for me the bold is correct. I got an alias clipped because Epic Problem likely reported it(which I think is a limp ditka alias but I am not positive, irony there if true). I say he probably reported it because he called it out in a thread and then 10 minutes later poof. Although I am sure it could have been any number of other prolific report button users. Tanner is the easiest to point out because he has so many of them and he doesn't exactly hide the fact that they are him and that he gets suspended. Pretty easy to see which ones are his by reading a couple pages in GMTAN. 

So if my account gets clipped because Epic Problem whined, then I want to know why other people are allowed to do it. The explanations given so far are junk. I dont think tanner's "main account" is even around anymore so it is easy cover for the mods. 

I would rather they just say it is our board and we decide who can post and have alias accounts and who can't. Tanner probably creates lots of traffic for them because he is a popular poster with many and also disliked by many and he has like 474,000,323 posts. So he is probably good for business. I can live in that world. Kind of like when your boss just tells you to do something and you have to do it.  

I would have never cared about tanners accounts if mine wasn't clipped. I have never liked tanner, but never complained a peep about his accounts until now. The fact that his accounts exist is clearly preferential treatment. I just would prefer they admit it as such. 
First off, "I wasn't going to complain about Tanner until I got in trouble" is just the worst kind of whining. Taking other people down with you is not cool.

Second, if you look at things from an objective point of view (instead of the "Why did I get banned?" point of view), then you'll see that there are plenty of conservative posters who have been allowed to use alias accounts. Just ask jon_mx and HellToupee. (Jon will probably respond with "But what about all the hypocrite liberal aliases?!", and HT will probably say "New Hampshire is lousy with alias fraud" before deleting his post. Ba-dum-dum.)

Anyway, you're probably never going to get an official explanation that satisfies you. But based on what I've seen over the past 15 years, aliases have been unofficially allowed to exist as long as they behave themselves. But if you troll or break the rules, you're going to get popped. So, I would humbly suggest that the reason your own alias got clipped is because you were engaging in the same behavior that got your original account in trouble in the first place.

Now, it looks like the endless complaints about Tanner will result in a big win for the MAGA crowd. Tanner and his aliases may get permabanned. But the endless supply of Trumper troll aliases will be allowed to pollute the board -- not because the mods have a deliberate double-standard, but because the mods simply won't be able to figure out if accounts like @Bishop (a brand new account that just happened to make its debut in the P(S)F) are aliases or not. So they are forced to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This board is at its best when nobody whines and non-offending aliases are allowed to exist. When those two benchmarks are removed, then this place will become worse than the Geek Club at FFT.

It wasn't just a "comment about the NRA". The poster claimed the NRA had a history of celebrating mass murder. Just a tad more than "a comment." 
Im not confused...I get that was over the line and have said as much.

But he had previously explained the NRA's motivations around shootings (and as we have now seen in several thread a playbook for how they handle them and its disgusting).

The point was more about Jon's reaction to a poster not saying a thing about him but about the NRA...was he disciplined?  Does that seem to show that moderation is not as uneven as he claims?

Im not confused...I get that was over the line and have said as much.

But he had previously explained the NRA's motivations around shootings (and as we have now seen in several thread a playbook for how they handle them and its disgusting).

The point was more about Jon's reaction to a poster not saying a thing about him but about the NRA...was he disciplined?  Does that seem to show that moderation is not as uneven as he claims?
Confused was giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you want to call it just a comment then you're getting into willfully misleading territory. Don't do that. 

I have seen you defend Dickies comment multiple times now and cry that Jon didn't get suspended for correctly calling him out.  Enough is enough.  Let the moderators do their job.
I didn't cry about Jon...Im pointing out the fact that Jon's post was scrubbed.  No don't...or things the mods do...just scrubbed.

Im showing that the moderators do their job and don't favor one side over him.  That his comments about left leaning posters getting leeway was false.

Confused was giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you want to call it just a comment then you're getting into willfully misleading territory. Don't do that. 
Fair enough...that wasn't the point of my message though Joe.  Dickie's comment aside...it wasn't about a poster or anyone here but about an organization.  Even as bad as what he said was...it showed the moderation to be fair.  Thats what Im saying...Im actually defending you and your moderators here.

Fair enough...that wasn't the point of my message though Joe.  Dickie's comment aside...it wasn't about a poster or anyone here but about an organization.  Even as bad as what he said was...it showed the moderation to be fair.  Thats what Im saying...Im actually defending you and your moderators here.
Thanks. All good. 

First off, "I wasn't going to complain about Tanner until I got in trouble" is just the worst kind of whining. Taking other people down with you is not cool.

Second, if you look at things from an objective point of view (instead of the "Why did I get banned?" point of view), then you'll see that there are plenty of conservative posters who have been allowed to use alias accounts. Just ask jon_mx and HellToupee. (Jon will probably respond with "But what about all the hypocrite liberal aliases?!", and HT will probably say "New Hampshire is lousy with alias fraud" before deleting his post. Ba-dum-dum.)

Anyway, you're probably never going to get an official explanation that satisfies you. But based on what I've seen over the past 15 years, aliases have been unofficially allowed to exist as long as they behave themselves. But if you troll or break the rules, you're going to get popped. So, I would humbly suggest that the reason your own alias got clipped is because you were engaging in the same behavior that got your original account in trouble in the first place.

Now, it looks like the endless complaints about Tanner will result in a big win for the MAGA crowd. Tanner and his aliases may get permabanned. But the endless supply of Trumper troll aliases will be allowed to pollute the board -- not because the mods have a deliberate double-standard, but because the mods simply won't be able to figure out if accounts like @Bishop (a brand new account that just happened to make its debut in the P(S)F) are aliases or not. So they are forced to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This board is at its best when nobody whines and non-offending aliases are allowed to exist. When those two benchmarks are removed, then this place will become worse than the Geek Club at FFT. 

Bishop is from fftoday, been there a long time with a low post count. Similar to myself.

I didn't cry about Jon...Im pointing out the fact that Jon's post was scrubbed.  No don't...or things the mods do...just scrubbed.

Im showing that the moderators do their job and don't favor one side over him.  That his comments about left leaning posters getting leeway was false.
Dickies has gotten away with several over the line posts so perhaps that was karma.  And Jon was correct.

It wasn't just a "comment about the NRA". The poster claimed the NRA had a history of celebrating mass shootings. Than backpedaled when he got pushback. Just a tad more than "a comment." 
Have you read some of the recent articles about the NRA just in the time since my comment?  I backpedaled on the "supporters" side of my comment, but feel like we are splitting hairs when it comes to the NRA itself.  They're a terrorist organization.

NRA officer enlisted a Sandy Hook truther to sow doubt about Parkland shooting, emails show

How to sell a massacre: NRA's playbook revealed

Users who are viewing this thread