What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official PSF Moderation Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Wow, this stuff really happens?

I'm very very surprised by this. I guess I'm naive?

Wow 
Reporting?  Yeah it surprises me too.  Seems like a move that a 5-year old would make.  Especially when it comes from someone posting emojis. 

Wow, this stuff really happens?

I'm very very surprised by this. I guess I'm naive?

Wow 
It is what Joe asks us to do and it is better than getting banned for responding too harshly.  And it's obvious trolling. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had to guess, what percentage of the posters in the PSF have a favorable opinion of a Trump Supporting Politician like Lindsey Graham?

If you had to guess, what percentage of the posters in the PSF have a favorable opinion of a Trump Opposing Politician like AOC?
AOC is undoubtedly more popular than Lindsey here.  Lindsey is actually the last GOP Senator I have voted for.  Really seems like a turn recently in abandoning all of the stuff McCain did

It is what Joe asks us to do and it is better than getting banned for responding too harshly.  And it's obvious trolling. :shrug:  
Trolling from posters you disagree with, in your opinion.  There's a ton worse trolling every day in these days that are worse than an emoji

Have you ever witnessed any " trolling " from anyone on your side of most every argument in the PSF?

Have you ever reported any of these posters ?

Have you ever witnessed any " trolling " from anyone on your side of most every argument in the PSF?

Have you ever reported any of these posters ?
Sure and I don't recall.  I didn't recall this one and hence my question to Joe.  It isn't frequent, but I've been banned before for responding to someone who was trolling and then reporting the responses. 

Feel free to report it, like Joe asks.  Yes, I'm sure you don't agree with his stance on that emoji
I haven't used that emoji in months.  I don't really care.  I'm saying if you're reporting that over Buzzfeed but not reporting so many other posts that are easily way worse than that it's because you're going after the poster.  You openly beg for conservative posters to get banned here.  

I have to say I don’t understand reporting people either. I get why the moderators want us to do it: it makes life easier for them and I certainly don’t mind that aspect of it. I don’t blame them at all for requesting it. And I can also understand reporting if somebody writes something truly foul, or racist, or really offensive. It’s nice that those sorts of things are not allowed here. 

But- beyond that , I still don’t get the motivation. So somebody that you don’t know and will never meet is rude to you on the Internet? Who cares? Or if they were rude to somebody you agree with? What’s the point? If you take personal satisfaction from having that person punished I’d say you’re a strange dude. 

But the worst of all is reporting someone for being rude to a politician. Earlier Joe Bryant wrote that when somebody calls AOC a moron the Moderators get several reports. Really? Hey I don’t think the woman is dumb at all, but Im certainly not going to waste my time reporting someone for posting that. Just really bizarre. 

I have to say I don’t understand reporting people either. I get why the moderators want us to do it: it makes life easier for them and I certainly don’t mind that aspect of it. I don’t blame them at all for requesting it. And I can also understand reporting if somebody writes something truly foul, or racist, or really offensive. It’s nice that those sorts of things are not allowed here. 

But- beyond that , I still don’t get the motivation. So somebody that you don’t know and will never meet is rude to you on the Internet? Who cares? Or if they were rude to somebody you agree with? What’s the point? If you take personal satisfaction from having that person punished I’d say you’re a strange dude. 

But the worst of all is reporting someone for being rude to a politician. Earlier Joe Bryant wrote that when somebody calls AOC a moron the Moderators get several reports. Really? Hey I don’t think the woman is dumb at all, but Im certainly not going to waste my time reporting someone for posting that. Just really bizarre. 
:reported:

I haven't used that emoji in months.  I don't really care.  I'm saying if you're reporting that over Buzzfeed but not reporting so many other posts that are easily way worse than that it's because you're going after the poster.  You openly beg for conservative posters to get banned here.  
That is a blatant lie.  I want posters that spend the vast majority of their time trying to antagonize other posters banned.  Even better would be if they stopped doing it and contributed to discussion.  

Agreed. I’ve never reported anyone nor have I’ve been suspended in 15 years or so.   

I really wish I’d included a question in my survey about which direction the moderation is biased in.

I strongly suspect that most people who lean left think the moderation is stacked in favor of Trump supporters while most people who support Trump think the moderation favors the echo chamber.

It’d be nice to have more formal data about that, though.

Next year...
I think it equally sucks ;)  

I think we should be able to call her and any other politician a moron.  I've been banned for calling Trump a moron as have several people.  I'm not going to report someone for that, but I would guess that dynamic plays into it.

I think we should be able to call her and any other politician a moron.  I've been banned for calling Trump a moron as have several people.  I'm not going to report someone for that, but I would guess that dynamic plays into it.
So somebody reported you for calling Trump a moron, and somebody reported somebody else for calling AOC a moron. So dumb. 

I don’t blame the moderators for responding with suspensions. If they get enough reports they probably feel compelled to do so. But who are these people making the reports in the first place? 

So somebody reported you for calling Trump a moron, and somebody reported somebody else for calling AOC a moron. So dumb. 

I don’t blame the moderators for responding with suspensions. If they get enough reports they probably feel compelled to do so. But who are these people making the reports in the first place? 
I feel like I could name 4-5 of the top 10 reporters in the last 12 months easy. Maybe more. But I enjoy reading/posting here, so I'm not going to do that

Rhymes with Blow Huff

And there is an admitted habitual reporter that started this last round of discussion. 

Rhymes with Blow Huff

And there is an admitted habitual reporter that started this last round of discussion. 
Probably less than 10 ever isn't habitual.  Joe has asked us to report things that we see are over the line rather than responding.

Well, I will give you a hint.   When a democrat gets called a moron, there will be 8 reports in a matter of minutes.   When a Republican gets called a moron, there will usually be none or one at most.   Which is a main reason why the moderation leans the way it does.  

The more time I spend reading this thread, the more I want to give Joe and the other mods a medal, or a donation, or maybe just a hug. 

Posting with an alias while one’s main account is serving a suspension gets the alias account permabamned. Tanner included.
If the primary reason for having an alias wasn't allowed we wouldn't see so many aliases. Even Jon_Mx was allowed his Megatron alias for months while he was suspended.  This adjustment to the alias rule must be getting enforced about as much as the original rule does.  

If the primary reason for having an alias wasn't allowed we wouldn't see so many aliases. Even Jon_Mx was allowed his Megatron alias for months while he was suspended.  This adjustment to the alias rule must be getting enforced about as much as the original rule does.  
We didn’t always have that rule. And it wasn’t always enforced consistently. People who made aliases a long time ago were kind of unofficially grandfathered in and allowed to use them. But we decided a while ago that there’d be no exceptions anymore. If anyone gets suspended with one account and posts using another account while serving that suspension, that latter account gets permabanned — if we catch it.

If the primary reason for having an alias
Curious more than anything - what do you think is the primary reason for having an alias?

I have 3 aliases - 2 of which I no longer have the log-in information, so they exist, but can't be used (no longer have the emails for those accounts).   I have one that is widely known among the soccer community, but maybe not widely known throughout the forums.

None of the accounts were created to avoid a suspension.

I would guess that the vast majority of aliases were created with two things in mind - 1) schtick - the alias name has a joke/schtick background, or 2) simply creating an alter-ego to allow someone to post an opinion that they may not want associated with their regular username (which, ironically, is an alias in and of itself).  There may be some recent users who create aliases to avoid suspensions - but anyone who has been here 10+ years and has an alias probably did not create to simply to avoid suspension - a few probably did.  But, most people here do not get lengthy suspensions.

*I know of a few alias accounts, not mine, that were destined to draw a suspension - @BoredStormtrooper I am looking at you....(suspension currently slated to end in 2084).

Curious more than anything - what do you think is the primary reason for having an alias?

I have 3 aliases - 2 of which I no longer have the log-in information, so they exist, but can't be used (no longer have the emails for those accounts).   I have one that is widely known among the soccer community, but maybe not widely known throughout the forums.

I would guess that the vast majority of aliases were created with two things in mind - 1) schtick - the alias name has a joke/schtick background, or 2) simply creating an alter-ego to allow someone to post an opinion that they may not want associated with their regular username (which, ironically, is an alias in and of itself).  There may be some recent users who create aliases to avoid suspensions - but anyone who has been here 10+ years and has an alias probably did not create to simply to avoid suspension - a few probably did.  But, most people here do not get lengthy suspensions.

*I know of a few alias accounts, not mine, that were destined to draw a suspension - @BoredStormtrooper I am looking at you....(suspension currently slated to end in 2084).
That is probably why MT said they had been kinda grandfathered in.  I don't really agree with permabanning the aliases if you find them with one important caveat:  They are not posting in substantially similar topics.  If I get popped for calling Trump a moron and then use my alias to post information in the Shark Pool, shouldn't that still be allowed?  Yes, if you run back into the same subforum/argument then you should be gone.  I think there are a lot of both cases.  Just my two cents.  

Well, I will give you a hint.   When a democrat gets called a moron, there will be 8 reports in a matter of minutes.   When a Republican gets called a moron, there will usually be none or one at most.   Which is a main reason why the moderation leans the way it does.  
The truthfulness of the statement has to count for something.

We didn’t always have that rule. And it wasn’t always enforced consistently. People who made aliases a long time ago were kind of unofficially grandfathered in and allowed to use them. But we decided a while ago that there’d be no exceptions anymore. If anyone gets suspended with one account and posts using another account while serving that suspension, that latter account gets permabanned — if we catch it.
If you know who the aliases are (I assume IP Address?) then isn't it each for you to catch them?

You should have been able to answer your own question by reading what I wrote, which you did.

I think both of your other reasons (certainly #2) could be considered trolling, which isn't allowed either.  And #2 could be done to avoid a suspension, which would be the same thing.

Again....tough to say given peoples' unwillingness to be honest but 30ish and 50ish?  I'm not a big fan of either if that helps.
Thanks.

My personal take from just knowing the board is it's more like 

10% view Graham as favorable

and

60% view AOC as favorable. 

But either way, it seems like there are way more people here that view AOC as favorable than there are people who view Graham as favorable. 

So when someone calls AOC a moron, it's much more likely it'll be reported simply because there are more people that view her favorably. 

That's what I mean by demographics affecting the number of reports we see and what is reported. 

It's not bad. It's just a function of the demographics. 

Where do we draw the line?  @Dickies called the American people stupid yesterday for voting in Trump.  That is far worse insult as it is directed at posters in the PSF who voted for Trump.  I'm sure he won't get banned though since he is on the "right" side....or should I say left?

Where do we draw the line?  @Dickies called the American people stupid yesterday for voting in Trump.  That is far worse insult as it is directed at posters in the PSF who voted for Trump.  I'm sure he won't get banned though since he is on the "right" side....or should I say left?
Did you report it?

No disagreement not allowing people to call other's morons is unusual. Especially in today's climate where everyone is so angry.

But that's how we're going to do things here. 

Thanks. 

He just got 10 days off for saying something bad about the NRA...the poster who called him a tool after got nothing.  Stop this myth that he won't get time off for saying something bad.

If you think he crossed the line, report it rather than this complainging nonstop.

This notion that only right leaning posters get banned or suspended is complete nonsense.

Do I look like Slapdash?
So you'd rather just clutter the board with complaints when the mods have made it clear they don't magically see every post.  BTW I didn't specifically say Americans are stupid for voting for Trump, I said the stupidity of America never ceases to amaze me.  

NCCommish said:
 You have a tool use it or stop complaining. They can't see every post in every thread.
Let it go..we are grown adults.

I was a Mod for a Labrador Retriever forum that was worldwide with over 50K members.  It was way worse than this place with people insulting each other about food and training and whatever and there was no political talk. 

This forum is as docile as it gets for public forums.

Users who are viewing this thread