Last night I popped a pilly

Silly in Philly

neatnik willy-nilly

pass out from the heat

so much ice I'm chilly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

You all rock. All of you.

To be fair, only rockaction really personifies it. And obviously ilove80s and Workhorse. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonydead said:

No offense, but, you lost a lot of credibility today and here you are still running around correcting people. You should give it a rest, there isnt much weight in your posts right now. 

:goodposting:

5 hours ago, dkp993 said:

At this point it’s fair to say everyone has made their point about everyone else.  Can we move on or do you guys complaining about dog piling want to dog pile some more?

If you have a more pressing moderation issue jump on in fella. Don’t hold back. 

• Laughing 1

7 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Hey, fair game. I said a wretched thing five years ago I should be embarrassed about. I am.  It’s totally reasonable for anyone who wants to be upset about that. 

So we know the point that the term became politically incorrect was sometime within the last five years?

If someone used that term, before then or during the transition period, and then apologizes for their comments, we should accept it and move on?

Does this also apply to politicians, or are they held to a different standard?

10 hours ago, tonydead said:

Weird that someone that has that view of themselves would take it upon themselves to spend so much time going around telling people how to behave.  How does worse Henry compare to Trump?  

Did you ever hear the Biblical story of Paul? It's sort of what reformed sinners do.

Edited by apalmer

23 hours ago, tonydead said:

Your problem is that you are hung up on your defined list of slurs, and then you put them all on equal footing.  If people don't agree with your list it isn't an insistence to use slurs, it's a disagreement on what is a slur. Like it or not one is much more acceptable in society than the other, I don't see anyone referring to Tranny as the T-word. 

It’s not “my list” -

If a term upsets/offends a number of people because they recognize it as a slur against their race, religion, orientation, identity etc, and that term is considered by many others to be a slur, what is so wrong with having the decency to not use that word?

Honestly, it doesn’t matter to “me” nor am I personally insulted by the term in question - but I know many others who are. I learned to understand the history of the term and it’s range of meanings. Why would I purposefully use a word when I know that many consider it a slur, and more importantly, that using such a term may be hurtful if not even harmful to segments of our population?

is it too much to ask that if we are told our words hurt, to use another term - whether we agree with the definition or not? Just seems the right thing to do.

:shrug: 

How many times do I have to get stoned and post ridiculous song lyrics in here before this thread is totally derailed? I’m committed to it- no number is too high. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

How many times do I have to get stoned and post ridiculous song lyrics in here before this thread is totally derailed? I’m committed to it- no number is too high. 

In. :football:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gold sounds
You're always in my mind
Since before you were a child
And my love for you's entire
But it gets multiplied and not divided
Almost nothing is one-sided
Please accept I think you'll like it

We can grow
Through things we don't know

• Like 1

We could slip away
Wouldn't that be better
Me with nothing to say
And you in your autumn sweater

• Like 1

I made a mistake
I should have never tried
I took the cake
Thinning every slice
I moved away
Still playing off the fights
For every day
I share our love delight

• Like 2

I'm parting the sea between brightness and me
Before I drown myself and everyone and everything

The water will shape the sides
And I'll walk with my head held high
And when it all comes crashing in
It will be worth it, if I'm still breathing

If actions speak louder than words
I'm the most deafening noise you've heard
I'll be that ringing in your ears
That will stick around for years

They call me Mr. Knowitall
I will not compromise.
I will not be told what to do.
I shall not step aside.

They call me Mr. Knowitall
I have no time to waste.
My mouth it spews pure intellect.
And I've such elegant taste.

Can you hear them?
They talk about us
Telling lies
Well, that's no surprise

Can you see them?
See right through them
They have no shield
No secrets to reveal

It doesn't matter what they say
In the jealous games people play
Our    t  i  t   s    are real

Edited by Ilov80s

Who knew the use of #### was heavily moderated

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Taking a break from building a deck but this happy little diddy has gone through my brain often the last couple of years:

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away

Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation
It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation

At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation
It nullifies the night
From overkill

Come back another day

I can't get to sleep
Of diving in too deep

Especially at night
I worry over situations that
I know will be alright
It's just overkill

Edited by Sheriff Bart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Koya said:

It’s not “my list” -

If a term upsets/offends a number of people because they recognize it as a slur against their race, religion, orientation, identity etc, and that term is considered by many others to be a slur, what is so wrong with having the decency to not use that word?

Honestly, it doesn’t matter to “me” nor am I personally insulted by the term in question - but I know many others who are. I learned to understand the history of the term and it’s range of meanings. Why would I purposefully use a word when I know that many consider it a slur, and more importantly, that using such a term may be hurtful if not even harmful to segments of our population?

is it too much to ask that if we are told our words hurt, to use another term - whether we agree with the definition or not? Just seems the right thing to do.

:shrug: 

I dunno, maybe ask all your friends on the left that have a history of using it on this forum. Not my job to run around trying to figure out the latest words put on the PC run amok list. 

5 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Taking a break from building a deck but this happy little diddy has gone through my brain often the last couple of years:

I can't get to sleep
Of diving in too deep

Be Good, Johnny/skip-diddy-skip/up the road/off to school you go

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I dunno, maybe ask all your friends on the left that have a history of using it on this forum. Not my job to run around trying to figure out the latest words put on the PC run amok list. 

Whether its this forum or otherwise, no one is asking you to run around and figure out anything.   Is it too much to ask that when something is pointed out as a slur then we have the decency to respectfully not use that term?

I mean, is it that difficult? And what does it say if someone learns that a term is harmful and hurtful, and still chooses, on purpose, to use that term? Forget about how long it's been accepted as an epithet. Forget who's "dictionary" or "PC guide" it may or may not appear - why would anyone choose to use a word that is hurtful and harmful to others, in those people's estimation and experience?

And for those foolish or naive enough to think it's just "words" - google the news. There's been a terrifying rash of murders and assaults on Trans people.  It's sickening and saddening- those words absolutely contribute to the atmosphere where these things occur. 

It's saddening that at the best, some just don't care. And worse, others want to seemingly provoke using the same terms we now know are just that - harmful, hurtful. When you recognize the context of other harassment and dangers, it's actually quite scary. We should be better than this, as a country, in my estimation (I do believe that while many things about the next generation are just the same as when the previous was the next, they have a far greater understanding and respect for the range of humanity that we represent, and accept far more simply for who they are).

FYI - we aren't talking about PC run amok, but generally accepted epithets and certainly terms that when used, make a good number of people feel less safe, certainly less welcome, and whatever someone personally believes about a word or term, why use something that does that?

9 hours ago, KCitons said:

So we know the point that the term became politically incorrect was sometime within the last five years?

If someone used that term, before then or during the transition period, and then apologizes for their comments, we should accept it and move on?

Does this also apply to politicians, or are they held to a different standard?

No. We know I said something vulgar and offensive five years ago. 

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

No. We know I said something vulgar and offensive five years ago. 

Not sure I agree with you. Let me try another approach. 

It is now politically incorrect to make the OK sign with your hand. For 99% of my life it was perfectly fine, or at least it wasn't considered by society as being wrong. Is everyone that gave the OK sign 5 years ago a white supremacist?

Honestly, I think someone needs to publish a politically incorrect guide. Seems like things are changing every day. So, probably dont want to publish it in paperback, digital would be better.

Edited by KCitons

17 minutes ago, KCitons said:

It is now politically incorrect to make the OK sign with your hand. For 99% of my life it was perfectly fine, or at least it wasn't considered by society as being wrong. Is everyone that gave the OK sign 5 years ago a white supremacist?

Honestly, I think someone needs to publish a politically incorrect guide. Seems like things are changing every day. So, probably dont want to publish it in paperback, digital would be better.

I believe the Anti Defamation League does this. If not them, someone does. 

Edit: and your question is why people say things like “uh, no, Trudeau, brown face wasn’t socially acceptable in the 2000s.”

Edited by Henry Ford

“Vulgar and offensive” often depends on the intent of the person saying or writing it, rather than the words itself. 

For example, a few minutes ago @boots11234 wrote of AOC, “I am glad she won’t have children.” I found that about as vulgar and offensive as anything I have read in this forum in years. Yet boots wasn’t politically incorrect, he didn’t use bad language. All he did was express a very cruel sentiment on a person he doesn’t know. And to me that was uglier than all the bad language. 

42 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I believe the Anti Defamation League does this. If not them, someone does. 

Edit: and your question is why people say things like “uh, no, Trudeau, brown face wasn’t socially acceptable in the 2000s.”

I'm looking at it from a behavioural standpoint. Specifically positive, neutral, and negative reinforcement by society to ones behaviour. With th OK sign we moved from positive to negative fairly quickly. With blackface we moved from neutral to negative reinforcement. And terms identifying transgendered people, from I dont know what, to negative. I'd also throw in things like statues, th National Anthem, and the cross or ten commandments. The changes come fast and often without much warning. Partly because not all of us are black, or transgender, or Christian. We have been conditioned to act a certain way all our lives. We've been playing by the same rules, then someone changes the rulebook. A rulebook that doesn't exist and the only time youre made aware of it is when you break a new rule.

With apologies to both Rockaction and Henry, since they are both done with this, I have to comment because reading these threads has been bugging me. 

Despite the impressive and focused search efforts (:rolleyes:) for the “gotcha”, these inane charges of hypocrisy miss the point...totally.

It was never about someone using the slur...per se. It was about the doubling and tripling down once it was pointed out. It was the determined effort to not back down in the face of “political correctness”. I mean, I didn’t know the word in question was a slur and I’m pretty damned politically correct. I’ve never had reason to spend a lot of time thinking about it or interacting with that language.

As Koya has pointed out, why the resistance to being sensitive to language if it causes no tangible harm to those asked to be sensitive to It?

I’ve told the story before, I was humiliated in my 20’s when, working with emotionally disturbed teenagers, I was walking around saying “Mammy....ooohhh Mammy”. I thought it was funny because it sounded funny, had no idea where I had heard it. When my work partner-black guy and my best friend at the time-told me it was racist, I was horrified.

I didn’t rail against political correctness, I didn’t angrily insist I could say whatever TF I wanted. I profusely apologized and thought about it.

Its ok to be ignorant about the intent, symbolism,  power of words. I didn’t think it was ok to reject those concerns. Rock obviously reached the same conclusion. He’s a smart and decent individual imo. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

With apologies to both Rockaction and Henry, since they are both done with this, I have to comment because reading these threads has been bugging me. 

Despite the impressive and focused search efforts (:rolleyes:) for the “gotcha”, these inane charges of hypocrisy miss the point...totally.

It was never about someone using the slur...per se. It was about the doubling and tripling down once it was pointed out. It was the determined effort to not back down in the face of “political correctness”. I mean, I didn’t know the word in question was a slur and I’m pretty damned politically correct. I’ve never had reason to spend a lot of time thinking about it or interacting with that language.

As Koya has pointed out, why the resistance to being sensitive to language if it causes no tangible harm to those asked to be sensitive to It?

I’ve told the story before, I was humiliated in my 20’s when, working with emotionally disturbed teenagers, I was walking around saying “Mammy....ooohhh Mammy”. I thought it was funny because it sounded funny, had no idea where I had heard it. When my work partner-black guy and my best friend at the time-told me it was racist, I was horrified.

I didn’t rail against political correctness, I didn’t angrily insist I could say whatever TF I wanted. I profusely apologized and thought about it.

Its ok to be ignorant about the intent, symbolism,  power of words. I didn’t think it was ok to reject those concerns. Rock obviously reached the same conclusion. He’s a smart and decent individual imo. 

Given the sources/attitudes (who's apologized, owned and moved on vs who's continuing to troll after the apologies and ownership of their actions) this should be comical to you, not bugging you.  It's quite the show...sit back and enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KCitons said:

I'm looking at it from a behavioural standpoint. Specifically positive, neutral, and negative reinforcement by society to ones behaviour. With th OK sign we moved from positive to negative fairly quickly. With blackface we moved from neutral to negative reinforcement. And terms identifying transgendered people, from I dont know what, to negative. I'd also throw in things like statues, th National Anthem, and the cross or ten commandments. The changes come fast and often without much warning. Partly because not all of us are black, or transgender, or Christian. We have been conditioned to act a certain way all our lives. We've been playing by the same rules, then someone changes the rulebook. A rulebook that doesn't exist and the only time youre made aware of it is when you break a new rule.

I was talking with my brother once about the bedtime stories we were read by my father. Took us about thirty seconds to both mention our chagrin when we realized through conversation that not everyone was read Uncle Remus stories as a kid.  And what the Tar Baby story really was about. 

34 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I was talking with my brother once about the bedtime stories we were read by my father. Took us about thirty seconds to both mention our chagrin when we realized through conversation that not everyone was read Uncle Remus stories as a kid.  And what the Tar Baby story really was about. 

The point that seems to be missed is the social acceptance. If you were a white woman dating a black man in the late 1800's were you socially accepted. Those same social pressures are working in reverse, and for the better. I'm just pointing out the difficulty of the process. Depending on age, there could be people that may have been politically incorrect before and again now. Where is this knowledge acquired? Is it reasonable expectation that everyone will be on the cutting edge of changes in all areas?

1 hour ago, Ranethe said:

There was more than one lesson learned here. I only did a search because it was mentioned that the term was only used in Who's Hottest threads, which I thought was odd since most, if not all, have been purged. It wasn't for a "gotcha" Once found, I didn't think it was something that should be ignored given the heat taken by rock to begin with. You're free to judge whether the charges of hypocrisy are inane or not but the point wasn't missed.

2 hours ago, KCitons said:

I didn't know that.    I hope some group doesn't take 'thumbs up' away from us too.   

3 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

I didn't know that.    I hope some group doesn't take 'thumbs up' away from us too.   

Keep your hands in your pockets, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

I was also thinking about the way the FCC has changed its stance in regards to what is acceptable on TV. Cable certainly change it a lot. But, there is a lot more curse words and beeps (even though you know what they are saying). This didn't happen 30 years ago. However there are people that are still offended by the language being used. Theyre even offended by some of the attire worn by people today. Somehow society decides it's okay. This month we had the POTUS tweet the word bull$#&* and it was reported on main stream media news outlets without the beep. 

Just seems odd how we decide what is or isn't offensive and how we communicate those changes. Seems very reactive and not so much proactive.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jamny said:

There was more than one lesson learned here. I only did a search because it was mentioned that the term was only used in Who's Hottest threads, which I thought was odd since most, if not all, have been purged. It wasn't for a "gotcha" Once found, I didn't think it was something that should be ignored given the heat taken by rock to begin with. You're free to judge whether the charges of hypocrisy are inane or not but the point wasn't missed.

FWIW I wasn’t remotely referring to you. I wasn’t even aware you had searched anything. If you had, and posted anything, I must have missed it. Had I noticed, I wouldn’t have assumed that of you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koya said:

Whether its this forum or otherwise, no one is asking you to run around and figure out anything.   Is it too much to ask that when something is pointed out as a slur then we have the decency to respectfully not use that term?

I mean, is it that difficult? And what does it say if someone learns that a term is harmful and hurtful, and still chooses, on purpose, to use that term? Forget about how long it's been accepted as an epithet. Forget who's "dictionary" or "PC guide" it may or may not appear - why would anyone choose to use a word that is hurtful and harmful to others, in those people's estimation and experience?

And for those foolish or naive enough to think it's just "words" - google the news. There's been a terrifying rash of murders and assaults on Trans people.  It's sickening and saddening- those words absolutely contribute to the atmosphere where these things occur. 

It's saddening that at the best, some just don't care. And worse, others want to seemingly provoke using the same terms we now know are just that - harmful, hurtful. When you recognize the context of other harassment and dangers, it's actually quite scary. We should be better than this, as a country, in my estimation (I do believe that while many things about the next generation are just the same as when the previous was the next, they have a far greater understanding and respect for the range of humanity that we represent, and accept far more simply for who they are).

FYI - we aren't talking about PC run amok, but generally accepted epithets and certainly terms that when used, make a good number of people feel less safe, certainly less welcome, and whatever someone personally believes about a word or term, why use something that does that?

Yes it is that difficult, some still use and like the word tranny. Until one of my tranny friends asks me not to use it I'll use whatever word I damn well please in real life. In pretent fantasy forum I'll try to follow Joe's rules, which I havent seen a ruling yet, but I know some mods have used the word in the past though so there is that. 

4 hours ago, KCitons said:

Keep your hands in your pockets, you'll be fine.

Walking through some neighborhoods, you want your hands out of your pockets to show those watching you that they are empty.

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

I found that about as vulgar and offensive as anything I have read in this forum in years.

What????? 

That doesn't even make any sense. He isn't making fun of some medical condition she has or saying she is unattractive. He is mostly mocking her for her statements about how  is it okay to still have children? 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, tonydead said:

The biggest one was tripple A batteries.  I mean I even started feeling uncomfortable.  Then again if you add all the Tanners together its probably a close race for T. 

Is that the one where he called a female attorney who appears on a news station he doesn't like a tranny?

2 hours ago, tonydead said:

Yes it is that difficult, some still use and like the word tranny. Until one of my tranny friends asks me not to use it I'll use whatever word I damn well please in real life. In pretent fantasy forum I'll try to follow Joe's rules, which I havent seen a ruling yet, but I know some mods have used the word in the past though so there is that. 

You seem mean.

• Laughing 1

35 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:
2 hours ago, tonydead said:

You seem mean.

He's not mean, he's just angry. And he's taking out his anger on this forum, thinking that weaponizing a word will make libs cry.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

7 hours ago, tonydead said:

I applaud you for having multiple such friends.  Many people automatically shy away from such relationships.

6 hours ago, [scooter] said:

He's not mean, he's just angry. And he's taking out his anger on this forum, thinking that weaponizing a word will make libs cry.

You and the regulars have been doing that for years, why can’t he?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, tonydead said:

The biggest one was tripple A batteries.  I mean I even started feeling uncomfortable.  Then again if you add all the Tanners together its probably a close race for T. 

Wait - what?  I’m not even sure what this is about.  I have use “tranny” all the time in the past joking around if that’s what you are asking.  Guilty as charged.  Also, I have no clue if the term is offensive as I don’t know any transvestites.  I’ve probably used it recently too.

Is that what this is about?

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Wait - what?  I’m not even sure what this is about.  I have use “tranny” all the time in the past joking around if that’s what you are asking.  Guilty as charged.  Also, I have no clue if the term is offensive as I don’t know any transvestites.  I’ve probably used it recently too.

Is that what this is about?

I started a thread, used the word, defended it, and things went from there. I later apologized. Turns out that people that were telling me not to use it have used it in the past on this very board. It was a vehement protestation of me using the word, ergo, the past few pages of this thread. And here we are...

I think we should sort of drop it now. In the words of Fugazi (or the Catholics) "We are all here. And we are all. Guilty!"

:)

eta* The thread was deleted by a mod. My apology is halfway down the front page. 

Edited by rockaction

People are doing forum searches for usage of “tranny” and I’m one of the biggest offenders?  Huh.  This is weird on so many levels.  Can I get summary of what is going on?  If it’s helps - I haven’t been in this thread in a while and while I saw the rockaction thread I just kind of skipped it as I had no clue what was going on - although that’s somewhat typical of rock’s thread ;)  - just kidding rock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

People are doing forum searches for usage of “tranny” and I’m one of the biggest offenders?  Huh.  This is weird on so many levels.  Can I get summary of what is going on?  If it’s helps - I haven’t been in this thread in a while and while I saw the rockaction thread I just kind of skipped it as I had no clue what was going on - although that’s somewhat typical of rock’s thread ;)  - just kidding rock.

I'm sort of bowing out, but figured since you were involved, I'd do you the courtesy of a summation. You've essentially got it. And that rockaction thread about bathrooms made little sense, either, so you didn't miss much. It's sort of impossible to do with clarity when the thread has been deleted. Faulty memories and all.

Peace. Back to song lyrics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Yes...because Rock got called out, mostly by those whoa re anti Trump...a few went and searched and posted all the people critical of Trump who have used the word.  Even if they weren’t involved  in the discussion.

And I get called board cop :lmao: