What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (2 Viewers)

I love how when he throws he gets all splay-legged and cocks back like a pistol, weight off of the back foot to exaggeratedly transferred to the front, ready and raring to aim the ball high, wide, and to the right of the receiver downfield.

Ahhh, yes. The missed uncontested throws have been my favorite part of the Mayfield experience this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know.  He digressed but is young so lots of time to learn.  I am just not so sure the Browns coaching staff is up to the task and may be doing more harm than good 
I would think Kitchens is gone after the season. I doubt the new hire is going to be obligated to stick with Mayfield just because he was a #1 pick. I would think Mayfield is competing for a starting job next preseason. 

What in the world is going on with this guy!? Why in the world is he shaving between arriving at the stadium and warmups and then again between the end of the game and the press conference? 

Link
We will probably find out later he was filming a commercial. He certainly didn’t look like the face of any franchise I would want any part of at the end game press conference. 

are they really going to use another first rounder on a QB or will they be smart and get Teddy Bridgewater or someone like this?  they have so much talent on both sides of the ball they just whiff every single time with the QB.it's a shame, hopefully they get this figured out but history says they won't

The guy has a nice fantasy playoff schedule....(wk 14 CIN, wk 15 AZ, wk 16 BAL, wk 17 CIN).

Any chance this ship gets remotely righted in time to make him a viable pickup?  They are The Browns.....a late run when it means nothing with a team that was supposed to be a playoff team is  very "Brownsish".  

The guy has a nice fantasy playoff schedule....(wk 14 CIN, wk 15 AZ, wk 16 BAL, wk 17 CIN).

Any chance this ship gets remotely righted in time to make him a viable pickup?  They are The Browns.....a late run when it means nothing with a team that was supposed to be a playoff team is  very "Brownsish".  
None

I would think Kitchens is gone after the season. I doubt the new hire is going to be obligated to stick with Mayfield just because he was a #1 pick. I would think Mayfield is competing for a starting job next preseason. 
It would take extraordinary circumstances for Baker not to be the week 1 starter next year. 

Agreed on this. Maybe the QB whisperer Adam Gase will become available and can get to Mayfield? :P

Seriously though, veteran leadership and a respected HC that kicks some ### could be all the Brownies need.

It would take extraordinary circumstances for Baker not to be the week 1 starter next year. 
If they're going to land a big time NFL head coach, he's not going to sign being told he has no choice on his starting QB.  If they continue with Kitchens or hire a second-flight new guy, management can tell them that Mayfield has to be the QB. But any in-demand coaching prospect is not going to choose a team where he's saddled with a QB because a previous staff liked him coming out of school.

If they're going to land a big time NFL head coach, he's not going to sign being told he has no choice on his starting QB.  If they continue with Kitchens or hire a second-flight new guy, management can tell them that Mayfield has to be the QB. But any in-demand coaching prospect is not going to choose a team where he's saddled with a QB because a previous staff liked him coming out of school.
Dorsey picked him and Dorsey isn't going anywhere.  Your points are certainly debatable.  I'm also not convinced Baker's stock has fallen IRL as much as a few posters think it has on a message board.  

Dorsey picked him and Dorsey isn't going anywhere.  Your points are certainly debatable.  I'm also not convinced Baker's stock has fallen IRL as much as a few posters think it has on a message board.  
I think his stock has fallen WAY more nationally than it has in Cleveland. He looks lost out there.

I think his stock has fallen WAY more nationally than it has in Cleveland. He looks lost out there.
He is - he's also not going anywhere based on the circumstances you laid out. The key word I used before was 'extraordinary.' We never say never in Cleveland. When you do that's when Billy Manziel shows up. But whatever the circumstances it's going to need to be a whole lot more than heeding what mystery coach demands.

He is - he's also not going anywhere based on the circumstances you laid out. The key word I used before was 'extraordinary.' We never say never in Cleveland. When you do that's when Billy Manziel shows up. But whatever the circumstances it's going to need to be a whole lot more than heeding what mystery coach demands.
I have no idea if he's going anywhere of not. I'm simply saying they aren't going to get a bigtime coach if they tell him he doesn't have a say in who his quarterback is. If Dorsey makes the decision that they're sticking with Mayfield no matter how bad he is, it will seriously limit the caliber of coach they get.

I have no idea if he's going anywhere of not. I'm simply saying they aren't going to get a bigtime coach if they tell him he doesn't have a say in who his quarterback is. If Dorsey makes the decision that they're sticking with Mayfield no matter how bad he is, it will seriously limit the caliber of coach they get.
If it does then so be it. Doesn't change him not leaving barring something jarring though.

Isn’t this mostly the offensive line and not Mayfield? Does he have any time to throw?
No. That's been a false narrative all season. I'm just happy to see others are catching up. Finally starting to see more correct problem identification the last couple days. Baker's got some weaknesses around him, but his biggest problem is himself and it isn't particularly close.

No. That's been a false narrative all season. I'm just happy to see others are catching up. Finally starting to see more correct problem identification the last couple days. Baker's got some weaknesses around him, but his biggest problem is himself and it isn't particularly close.
So disappointing. Cleveland not going anywhere and I worry about how this affects Chubb. Maybe Mayfield can fix the issues? What are his issues? He was super accurate in college. What happened?

So disappointing. Cleveland not going anywhere and I worry about how this affects Chubb. Maybe Mayfield can fix the issues? What are his issues? He was super accurate in college. What happened?
He can certainly fix the issues. It's probably going to take the offseason though. Would love for him to prove me wrong the next 8 weeks, but I'm sure not expecting it at this point.

There's lot of things that have gone wrong, but I am skeptical it all comes back to one issue that I never would have guessed 2 months ago - he got lazy with his craft between last season and this one. Given his background I didn't think this would ever be a concern, but here we are. I think he's head strong enough to get right again, but it's going to take time.

He gets nervous feet and his first instinct is to roll to his right and towards the sideline. Of course, that removes a large percentage of the playing field and he usually either ends up throwing out of bounds or throwing ill-advised passes into tight windows.   Of course, that's not THE problem, but it's certainly one that I've noticed.  I watch him a lot because I'm a Beckham owner in fantasy.

There isn't an offensive position group or coach that hasn't contributed significantly to their collective problem.

He gets nervous feet and his first instinct is to roll to his right and towards the sideline. Of course, that removes a large percentage of the playing field and he usually either ends up throwing out of bounds or throwing ill-advised passes into tight windows.   Of course, that's not THE problem, but it's certainly one that I've noticed.  I watch him a lot because I'm a Beckham owner in fantasy.
This was a major problem early in the year, but I don't think it's been there 4 of the last 5 games. 

he looks like he's thinking way too much.

exact opposite of what i liked about him last year.  he'd take the snap and throw the ball before you could blink.

the whole thing is a mess.  if he makes it out of this year without being completely ruined, i still think he has a chance to have a heck of a career.

Why did you link to a game in which the Browns scored 42 points from 13 months ago.
Because the play at 1:24 is simply stupid. Doesn't matter what the score is. They tried it again vs NE and it failed miserably. Just run the damn ball and get the few yards needed instead of losing yards and putting yourself in a hole with stupid #### that isn't fooling anyone.

Has there ever been a worse player than Baker Mayfield who gets alot of the NFL commercials?  My mind is drawing a blank to think of someone worse?

bucksoh said:
Has there ever been a worse player than Baker Mayfield who gets alot of the NFL commercials?  My mind is drawing a blank to think of someone worse?
Obvious answer is no, but I'm sure he signed those endorsement deals after his promising rookie season.  I can't remember a more drastic fall for an NFL player who's remained healthy.  And has more talent around him now. Was there something the league noticed on film? It looks like a different player.

bucksoh said:
Johnny Manziel had a few back in the day.  It’s a Browns QB thing.

bucksoh said:
Hi, I'm Braylon Edwards for Five-Hour Energy Drink

I know they haven't been good, but perhaps a little over reaction is going on here.

Including the Bills this weekend, the Browns last 5 opponents rank 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 21st in QB FF points allowed.  

I know they haven't been good, but perhaps a little over reaction is going on here.

Including the Bills this weekend, the Browns last 5 opponents rank 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 21st in QB FF points allowed.  
I hear what you’re saying and partly agree but a lot of Baker’s problems have been self inflicted.

His schedule gets much easier so he should improve but if he doesn’t he has no excuses.

I hear what you’re saying and partly agree but a lot of Baker’s problems have been self inflicted.

His schedule gets much easier so he should improve but if he doesn’t he has no excuses.
The biggest self-inflicted wound would be him backing Freddie Kitchens to be the head coach when Freddie had less than one year experience as a coordinator and zero experience as a HC on any level.  By elevating Freddie to a position he wasn't qualified the team suffered on all  levels and Baker lost the valuable one-on-one he got from Freddie on the sidelines and last year when Kitchens had one job to do, basically come up with unique offensive game plans/wrinkles this year he's swamped and he is pulling double-duty as HC/OC so his game plans have suffered.

Baker Mayfield completed 26-of-38 passes for 238 yards and two touchdowns in the Browns' 19-16, Week 10 win over the Bills.

Stunningly, it was Mayfield's first two-touchdown performance through the air this season. He was extremely lucky to get there after a stupefying first half series of events that saw the Browns score zero points on 12 plays over two series at the goal line. Mayfield found Jarvis Landry for a 17-yard score and Rashard Higgins for a game-winning seven-yarder with 1:44 remaining. It was by no means a scintillating performance, but Mayfield kept his wits about him vs. a solid defense. He doesn't figure to be so lucky for Thursday's short-week matchup with the Steelers.

Baker Mayfield completed 17-of-32 passes for 193 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Browns' 21-7, Week 11 win over the Steelers, adding a one-yard touchdown rush.

Mayfield came out smoking, going 3-of-3 for 57 yards and the rushing score on the Browns' opening drive. He was much shakier thereafter, sailing one throw after another. His second touchdown was a blind luck eight-yarder to "Stephen Carlson" in the back of the end zone. His first was a one-yarder to an uncovered Jarvis Landry. Mayfield's play has definitely improved in recent weeks, but it's still not to an above-average level. Had the Steelers had any offense at all this evening, the Browns would have lost. The tissue-soft Dolphins are on tap for Week 12. Mayfield will actually have some streaming appeal for that one.

Hmnn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Baldinger‏Verified account @BaldyNFL

.@Browns @bakermayfield this bizzaro play was Baker’s last INT., 143 passes ago. He is doing a much better job of taking care of the football and made the biggest plays last night to defeat the @steelers. #BaldysBreakdowns

6:12 AM - 15 Nov 2019 from NFL Films

Users who are viewing this thread