What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was I justified in asking my bro this question (1 Viewer)

This is an interesting story when you realize that 'skiing' is code for... something else.

Did I miss where there was an actual lesson? If you ask him to ski with you and some friends, is that code that you want a lesson and will pay him?
I think it's common sense to assume if you ask a world class skier to ski with your group that you should expect he's going to instruct you especially given the following:

1) he has always been has always been paid;

2) the people in your group range in skiing ability from novice/intermediate - expert; and

3) your group is comprised of middle aged men.

Unfortunately, my brother doesn't always exhibit street smarts and could be described as somewhat naive.  Don't get me wrong, he's a smart guy but the logic behind his math and comp sci-fi background sometimes gets in his way.  i.e. I didn't explicitly ask Brent to teach my group so he shouldn't expect to get paid. 

Was there any actual lesson giving......  for real not schtick

if you know what I mean though

I assume this is at Deer Valley? I'm curious how much the ski instructors make? (how much of the $$ paid to the resort do they actually keep). I'm guessing he can make more money doing "lessons" on his own.

I assume this is at Deer Valley? I'm curious how much the ski instructors make? (how much of the $$ paid to the resort do they actually keep). I'm guessing he can make more money doing "lessons" on his own.
It's a good question.  We can't ski with these "kids" at DV because DV actively polices this kind of behavior.  You are not allowed to pay anyone to teach you at DV unless it's a DV employed instructor.  I'm not completely sure, but for a day of private instruction at DV, I think you could expect to pay ~$1000.  It's very expensive and variable in terms of the quality of the instructor.  I can ski better than half of them.  Personally, I prefer other resorts to DV--PCMR and Alta are my top two.

We pay our guys $300-350/day. They're very happy with that rate and we are too.

It's a good question.  We can't ski with these "kids" at DV because DV actively polices this kind of behavior.  You are not allowed to pay anyone to teach you at DV unless it's a DV employed instructor.  I'm not completely sure, but for a day of private instruction at DV, I think you could expect to pay ~$1000.  It's very expensive and variable in terms of the quality of the instructor.  I can ski better than half of them.  Personally, I prefer other resorts to DV--PCMR and Alta are my top two.

We pay our guys $300-350/day. They're very happy with that rate and we are too.
Quite a bold statement.  You can really judge this when you're all making turns on a blue run?  Or, did these instructors take you through some deep powder in the trees and they couldn't keep up with you?   

Quite a bold statement.  You can really judge this when you're all making turns on a blue run?  Or, did these instructors take you through some deep powder in the trees and they couldn't keep up with you?   
My brother used to teach and I can ski better than him.  The bar to become a ski instructor at a resort isn't that high.

This story is not that interesting.  However, with the board being as slow as it is, I thought I'd ask the FFA if I were justified in asking the question below.  Here's the backstory.

One Tuesday night, my brother and 5 of his friends arrived at my ski house in Park City.  They've planned their trip for months and I was more than happy to let them stay at my place.  They will be there until Monday.  My bro has been to the house many times with his family and is familiar with the area.  He also knows some of the ski instructors that we've used over the years to teach our kids to ski.

On Wednesday am, he tells me that he's arranged to ski with Brent who's was nationally ranked skier who competed to make the Olympic team in 2014 in his discipline.  He was ranked about 10th nationally and is a world class skier.  We have skied with Brent for many years and he's a great guy.  My bro and his family have also used Brent as an instructor and have gotten along very well.  Even though Brent has been over to the house many times for dinner, the skiing relationship has always been professional--i.e. we always pay him.

I was surprised to have the following text message exchange yesterday:

Bro:  Do you ever ski with Austin without paying him?

Me: no

Bro: Invited him just to ski with us and give him folks to ski with. Think he is assuming he is here to teach us.

Me: That would be a good assumption from his perspective

Bro: K  Expensive lesson.  I got two runs before having to quit.  

ASIDE:  my bro was diagnosed with Lyme disease earlier this week and had to stop skiing yesterday because of that

Me:  with all due respect, Brent probably doesn't want to ski with a bunch of ~45yo guys on his day off

There was no response from him so around dinner, I texted him the following:

Me: please tell me you took care of Brent

Bro:  Why do you even need to ask?

Was I justified in asking?  Is my bro justified in being pissed off?
No problem whatsoever if he asked the guy to ski and the fact it was stated “just to ski with” to me distinctly notes this is NOT a lesson so no payment should be expected. You come across as really uppity here.

No problem whatsoever if he asked the guy to ski and the fact it was stated “just to ski with” to me distinctly notes this is NOT a lesson so no payment should be expected. You come across as really uppity here.
Swing and miss.

Uppity  :lol:  

when it comes to all things bro etiquette i deffer to our resident brombudsman the swcer and you can take that to the bank

just for some clarity here... you actually call your blood brother "bro"? or are we talking about some frat jag off dood.

just for some clarity here... you actually call your blood brother "bro"? or are we talking about some frat jag off dood.
I don't call him "bro" but for the purposes of this thread, that's how I chose to refer to him.  He is my younger brother.

You can't even tell a simple rich ski instructor story without outing an Olympic champion and exposing his info for all to see and you want to get on @Nathan R. Jessep?

You should be ashamed.

I don't think there was any harm in asking, but I think you asked in a slightly dooshy way.

"Please tell me you took care of Brent," could have been "Hey, just making sure things worked out with Brent," or "How much did Brent end up charging to ski with you guys?" or something like that. You come off as accusatory, and he probably took a little bit of offense to the way the quesion was asked.

I don't think there was any harm in asking, but I think you asked in a slightly dooshy way.

"Please tell me you took care of Brent," could have been "Hey, just making sure things worked out with Brent," or "How much did Brent end up charging to ski with you guys?" or something like that. You come off as accusatory, and he probably took a little bit of offense to the way the quesion was asked.
In fairness to Chet, I’m sure his brother is more than used to him being slightly dooshy

Last edited by a moderator:
so about this house in Park City.....um......would you ever, you know, let a fellow-FBG use it?  we're all amongst friends here and if you can't trust some guy from the internet, who can you trust? 

so about this house in Park City.....um......would you ever, you know, let a fellow-FBG use it?  we're all amongst friends here and if you can't trust some guy from the internet, who can you trust? 
Well, Tom Cruise and Mary J. Blige have stayed there (not together) so I don't see why not.

I don't call him "bro" but for the purposes of this thread, that's how I chose to refer to him.  He is my younger brother.
And that is the essence of your problem. If I asked either of my younger brothers that question, I'd get the same response. I'm pretty sure each would take care of the dude, but if I wasn't sure, I'd probably want to know, particularly if it's a relationship that important for one reason or another (never mind you want to make sure the guy is taken care of).

Next time, think of the answer you want, and ask a question that gets you the answer without coming across as an overbearing brother. For example, "Expensive huh? How much was it?"

Damn it. Beat me to it. 

We don't have this issue in my family. It's straight to the point.  

You better pay his ###, dude, or I'm gonna be pissed. Oh you mad? Well get over it. That's silly. Alright, moving on.  

If your brother wasn’t looking for instruction, why in the world did he want to invite the guy to ski with them? 
I should invite Arnold Schwarzenegger to work out with me sometime.  He's probably lonely. 

inspect your expectations.  he opened the door with the initial question.  you are free and clear.  can i stay at your joint in park city?  i will over tip/pay everyone in site. ;)  

So long as Miguel was paid for his time instructing on the slopes, I say all's well than ends well.   

Users who are viewing this thread