What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (11 Viewers)

No love (or hate) for Patrick Onwuasor? No one posted it yesterday.  I have an IDP league, so I pay attention to defensive players. This guy looked very good at times and appeared to be CJ's replacement in Baltimore.  He played a lot in the first month, but barely anything the rest of the way.  I guess he couldn't handle a full time role. Looks like good depth for us.

I wonder if they will keep Williamson.  He played well before getting hurt, but now there is a glut of inside linebackers. 

Winters is still around, too. I can't see him staying with that salary. He will be cut or re-negotiated. I guess they will keep him as is until they add someone else or draft a lineman.

No love (or hate) for Patrick Onwuasor? No one posted it yesterday.  I have an IDP league, so I pay attention to defensive players. This guy looked very good at times and appeared to be CJ's replacement in Baltimore.  He played a lot in the first month, but barely anything the rest of the way.  I guess he couldn't handle a full time role. Looks like good depth for us.

I wonder if they will keep Williamson.  He played well before getting hurt, but now there is a glut of inside linebackers. 

Winters is still around, too. I can't see him staying with that salary. He will be cut or re-negotiated. I guess they will keep him as is until they add someone else or draft a lineman.
PO is another good dumpster dive - showed potential before tailing off....I think Willamson and Winters are sitting in reserve and will be cut if the cash is needed or depending on how the draft goes....good for flexibility....thats a quick $14M to clear if they decide to make a trade (Trent Williams - if Washington gets back to reality and takes a 3rd)

id love signing Trent - yes hes old and expensive but they have the $ and would be a great protector for Sam and mentor for any OL brought in....Fant or a rookie - even a top one - wouldnt be as good....

PO is another good dumpster dive - showed potential before tailing off....I think Willamson and Winters are sitting in reserve and will be cut if the cash is needed or depending on how the draft goes....good for flexibility....thats a quick $14M to clear if they decide to make a trade (Trent Williams - if Washington gets back to reality and takes a 3rd)

id love signing Trent - yes hes old and expensive but they have the $ and would be a great protector for Sam and mentor for any OL brought in....Fant or a rookie - even a top one - wouldnt be as good....
I would like to acquire Williams and go WR with our first pick, but at what cost? I don't mind us spending the cap on him. It's the trade cost that is the bigger issue. I know that they want a second rounder, but good luck with that. Can we get him for a 4th rounder? Late third? I wouldn't even offer up the NYG's third rounder.  The Redskins are in a tough spot. No reason to spend more than necessary to get him.  Take him if we can get him at a cheap trade price.

I think that may signal the end of Williamson but I'd like for them to keep him. They have plenty of cap room left and no real high priced free agents left - unless they plan to trade for Trent Williams which I think would be a mistake given his age and salary demands,

I'm not sure we can say that for sure - Williams is 31 and hasn't played in 2 years. 

I think that may signal the end of Williamson but I'd like for them to keep him. They have plenty of cap room left and no real high priced free agents left - unless they plan to trade for Trent Williams which I think would be a mistake given his age and salary demands,
Having the cap flexibility for a trade is a good reason, but another possibility is that they roll over the cap space to the following year.  Still, I think Gase is under pressure to win this year and they will do what they can to win this year.

Williams wants a long term deal. Too risky for a guy past 30 who hasn't played and has cancer in his past.

I wouldn't mind a mid-round pick or even spending cap space on him this. But he's going to want a multi-year deal with guaranteed money. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure we can say that for sure - Williams is 31 and hasn't played in 2 years. 
obviously nothing is for sure - but I'd feel better about a top 4 overall pick who made 6 straight pro bowls than any other alternative....for the next 2 yrs or so...definite risk with the layoff but think he'll be fine.  

Id deal the Jets own 3rd rder for him....that way they can still grab a top OL in 1st or 2d rd to learn from him...start at RT and groom to take over....should have been done yrs ago when Brick was slowing down...awful planning

Williams wants a long term deal. Too risky for a guy past 30 who hasn't played and has cancer in his past.

I wouldn't mind a mid-round pick or even spending cap space on him this. But he's going to want a multi-year deal with guaranteed money. That just doesn't make sense to me.
Im fine with a 4 yr deal as long as their is an out after 2....most have that....except Trumaine!  lol

obviously nothing is for sure - but I'd feel better about a top 4 overall pick who made 6 straight pro bowls than any other alternative....for the next 2 yrs or so...definite risk with the layoff but think he'll be fine.  

Id deal the Jets own 3rd rder for him....that way they can still grab a top OL in 1st or 2d rd to learn from him...start at RT and groom to take over....should have been done yrs ago when Brick was slowing down...awful planning
I'm just not a fan of giving away a pick AND paying a huge contract. If his demand was more reasonable, and the Skins' demands were as well (which will likely happen) then maybe. With that said you won't hear me complain if they end up with him.

Curious as to what the Jets faithful think here in terms of draft. With the Perriman signing, do you still think the Jets should absolutely look at drafting WR in the first round?

Or is an o-lineman more of a priority to protect Darnold? Is there another position of greater need you think they should absolutely address first?

I think with the draft being so WR-deep, finding the best O-line is priority as they are going to be scarcer. But with a shot at at Top 2/3 WR prospect at an area of need, that might also be the play.

What do you think the Jets should do with that first round pick?

Having the cap flexibility for a trade is a good reason, but another possibility is that they roll over the cap space to the following year.  Still, I think Gase is under pressure to win this year and they will do what they can to win this year.
Would explain all these 1 year deals.  Douglas is giving himself an out to wipe much of the roster clean if they do end up firing Gase after this season.  Nice to have a GM with some foresight.

Curious as to what the Jets faithful think here in terms of draft. With the Perriman signing, do you still think the Jets should absolutely look at drafting WR in the first round?

Or is an o-lineman more of a priority to protect Darnold? Is there another position of greater need you think they should absolutely address first?

I think with the draft being so WR-deep, finding the best O-line is priority as they are going to be scarcer. But with a shot at at Top 2/3 WR prospect at an area of need, that might also be the play.

I think if Douglas likes one of the OTs that fall to the pick that is who he will take - but I'm sure a WR would be considered as well. It's hard to say though as this is the first time through for Douglas.

JD did a nice job to not have a gaping need for the #11 pick which gives them flexibility.  Everything Im reading says the WR position is much deeper than OL - both are big needs so I think if one of the top OL are there JD takes him....if none are there I think he would take a WR...depends on how the cards fall.....as long as its not defense ill be happy even though I understand edge and CB are needs.  

JD did a nice job to not have a gaping need for the #11 pick which gives them flexibility.  Everything Im reading says the WR position is much deeper than OL - both are big needs so I think if one of the top OL are there JD takes him....if none are there I think he would take a WR...depends on how the cards fall.....as long as its not defense ill be happy even though I understand edge and CB are needs.  
....and even those positions were addressed with at least depth.

....and even those positions were addressed with at least depth.
agreed - and its more of a confidence in the DC rather than the talent on defense.  Williams showed he could put out a pretty good defense with the personnel at hand....add CJ and some of the other signings and the defense should be playoff level next year...its the offense that is a train wreck and needs the 1st 3 picks addressing it.....O was ignored for far too long under Mac

Would explain all these 1 year deals.  Douglas is giving himself an out to wipe much of the roster clean if they do end up firing Gase after this season.  Nice to have a GM with some foresight.
My friend said the same thing to me this morning. He said JD wasn't married to Gase. I asked why he thought that. He said, well all these one-year deals means that he can get rid of all these Gase-type players for next year if we can him.  I replied, yeah, I guess that's a possibility or he just wants the cap flexibility.

Either way, JD seems light years better than the previous clueless clowns. 

agreed - and its more of a confidence in the DC rather than the talent on defense.  Williams showed he could put out a pretty good defense with the personnel at hand....add CJ and some of the other signings and the defense should be playoff level next year...its the offense that is a train wreck and needs the 1st 3 picks addressing it.....O was ignored for far too long under Mac
GW is a modern-day miracle-worker We had the worst CBs in the league to start the year we were down to the re-treads by the end of the season.  We lost Williamson in the pre-season and CJ basically after one game. Cashman went down to injury and even Hewitt at one point. We had re-tread Burgess leading the way at the end. We traded our "best" lineman to the Giants at the deadline and our prized third overall pick was hurt early and for the most part, completely invisible in his first year. Even Anderson didn't do well.

Somehow our defense played great for the most part. Just a miracle.

I really think it all boils down to just HOW good the top players are at each position.

I mean.....if there's a 10 year pro-bowl LT available, I think you take him regardless of what is there at WR. But lets say they really think that Lamb (or jeudy, or whoever) is a top 3-5 WR type and the best OT available only grades out to a league average LT. At that point, I think you might take the WR.

Its like a 3 dimension sliding scale and at the end of the day, it kinda just comes down to gut feeling. I think we'd all be thrilled to have another 10 year run of DBrickshaw Ferguson level stability on the left side. But if that means passing on the next Hopkins or Michael Thomas, do you still do it? I dont think I would.

It's a good and tough question.  We have a huge need at each, not to mention that Edge has been our biggest need for 2 decades.

The Jets are going to a spread o-line focused on athletic linemen that can play multiple positions. Their free agent moves back this up. All athletic. If we had to go into the season with what we have right now, it would be upgrade over last year's debacle.  Yet, they still need to draft 1-2 lineman, one of them at tackle and another guard imo.

These are the Offensive Tackles and their Adjusted SPARQ Percentile which measures their athleticism (although it doesn't reflect talent or skill)

Mekhi Becton 1.00 (100%)

Tristan Wirfs 0.97

Matt Peart 0.96

Alex Taylor 0.95

Ezra Cleveland 0.91

Austin Jackson 0.89

Terence Steele 0.82

Charlie Heck 0.80

Jedrick Wills 0.74

Andrew Thomas 0.71

Jack Driscoll 0.69

Joshua Jones 0.60

Hakeem Adeniji 0.54

I think Wirfs is the #1 target for the Jets, but he should be gone.  Would they go for Becton if he's there? I don't know. There isn't a history of huge OTs like him. I think they tend to have more injury issues over time. Are Wills and Thomas athletic enough for what Gase and JD are trying to build? I'm not sold on it.  I could see them going for a tackle like Jackson or Cleveland, maybe even Peart later in the draft.  Maybe they can get Peart if they go WR in the first. Maybe Cleveland if you believe in miracles.

Would they go for an edge player at 11? It's a big need, but i doubt it. They have to go offense after years of neglect. For the same reason, I think they wouldn't go CB either despite it being another need.

So, would they take Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs at 11 if Wirfs and Bechton aren't there?  It makes sense to get a stud WR, but there are so many WRs that the value might be better if they wait until the second round.

The other option that I think is a strong possibility is a trade down. They could still grab a WR if one of the top 3 falls OR they can draft someone like Jefferson or an OT like Jackson or Cleveland. They have lots of needs and can pick up another third rounder or maybe even a second rounder depending on how far back they trade.  They can even use that extra pick on an edge player in round 2 or 3.

I don't know what they are going to do, but they have tons of options at positions of need.

My $.02 on Perriman:  good signing.  He had hands problems in Baltimore, but overcame them in CLE.  He was actually re-signed to stay in CLE prior to the Browns acquiring OBJ.

I think the 1 yr contracts are more due to the value and flexibility for future.  They are going to have a ton of cap room next year and hopefully a solid draft to fill in some of the holes.  I dont think its a hedge against Gase but more of a stopgap while he drafts and integrates those players....JD is aware of extensions looming for Adams and Sam....should be a lot of  room to not only lock them up to good extensions but add a few key pieces as they get closer.  

NFL Gamepass is free for the rest of this month so I just watched one of the only games worth watching (only goes back to 2009), the 2010 Divisional Game. Sanchez got off to a shaky start but played fantastic afterwards. Sean Ellis was a beast and Rex had an ingenious game plan to stop Brady. Damn we need days like that back again. We’ve suffered so long since.

NFL Gamepass is free for the rest of this month so I just watched one of the only games worth watching (only goes back to 2009), the 2010 Divisional Game. Sanchez got off to a shaky start but played fantastic afterwards. Sean Ellis was a beast and Rex had an ingenious game plan to stop Brady. Damn we need days like that back again. We’ve suffered so long since.
Rex dropped eight in the box all game to beat Brady that one, if I'm not mistaken. Rushed three. That never works against the Pats. It did in 2010, IIRC. 

As far as all the new talk, they signed Burgess to a contract extension at LB for one year at five million. It looks like Williams and Williamson are both gone. I'm not sure about Onwuasor, but it sure seems like he's moving Williamson along. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex dropped eight in the box all game to beat Brady that one, if I'm not mistaken. Rushed three. That never works against the Pats. It did in 2010, IIRC. 

As far as all the new talk, they signed Burgess to a contract extension at LB for one year at five million. It looks like Williams and Williamson are both gone. I'm not sure about Onwuasor, but it sure seems like he's moving Williamson along. 
He blitzed a few times but yes it was mostly a three man rush and dropping 8 back into coverage - the three were getting to Brady because he couldn’t find anyone open. 

Speaking of the Pats.....if Bill O'Brien's entire football coaching career has been a long con designed to get the Patriots a superstar QB in the post-Brady era, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to walk into traffic. 

rockaction said:

Todd, are you smoking dope in your isolation? I haven't seen any contract deals, but Burgess has never made more than minimum. He's made $1.7m in his career with no guaranteed money. If JD paid him $5m, that would be the equivalent of the Trumaine Johnson contract.

Todd, are you smoking dope in your isolation? I haven't seen any contract deals, but Burgess has never made more than minimum. He's made $1.7m in his career with no guaranteed money. If JD paid him $5m, that would be the equivalent of the Trumaine Johnson contract.
I have not found any details on the contract but considering they did not even tender him at original value as a RFA I can't imagine they then went on to pay him $5MM.

I have not found any details on the contract but considering they did not even tender him at original value as a RFA I can't imagine they then went on to pay him $5MM.
Yeah, I'm not worried about it. He's never been paid more than minimum. I'm just busting Todd's balls.

If dope=Rotowire, linked to by MFL, you got me. I have him in dynasty so's I get news. 

(RotoWire) The Jets and Burgess agreed to a one-year contract Monday, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Analysis: Signed in the wake of C.J. Mosley's final appearance for the Jets last season, Burgess started the final 10 games, finishing with 80 tackles (51 solo), one interception, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a half sack. Mosley's recovery from a groin injury has extended into the offseason, so Burgess has been brought back after proving his worth to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

MFL is wrong, it seems. It's Jordan Jenkins at five million, Burgess back for less.
You're responsible for what you post. What if someone sees that Burgess signs for $5m and then accuses the Jets of tanking and then Farook comes along and berates him? Then the previous poster feels bad about the tanking comments and does something rash? 

Get better sources bro (and I clicked your links because my head is still spinning from doing my taxes and my gf's taxes back to back, but I didn't see anything about $5m in there).  I expect more from you. Ha.

PS. The Cowboys signed Greg the Leg for $2.5m/year and we still have Sam Fricken Ficken. My head will explode next season if we don't upgrade.

PS. The Cowboys signed Greg the Leg for $2.5m/year and we still have Sam Fricken Ficken. My head will explode next season if we don't upgrade.
That's okay. There's not going to be football next year. We can't lose that way, so the anti-tankers should be happy. 

All these contracts...what are they going to do with them when there is no season? 

That's okay. There's not going to be football next year. We can't lose that way, so the anti-tankers should be happy. 

All these contracts...what are they going to do with them when there is no season? 
More importantly, what are we going to do without football? Especially you since you post all the time in all the other threads. I guess it's never too early for your input on 2021 fantasy.

More importantly, what are we going to do without football? Especially you since you post all the time in all the other threads. I guess it's never too early for your input on 2021 fantasy.
I mainly break down Chris Godwin in other threads. And Will Fuller. But the wellspring of life stems from those two.

I don't know what we'll do without football. I was thinking of starting the 100 most important punk rock records of all time in the FFA, but that leaves the question, "What do you mean by important?" which will likely be followed by a spirited five-page debate, so the 100 most important punk rock records thread will just stay shelved for the near future.

Maybe I'll ride a stationary bike and finally get in all that good shape I've been promising myself. Any leads? 

I mainly break down Chris Godwin in other threads. And Will Fuller. But the wellspring of life stems from those two.

I don't know what we'll do without football. I was thinking of starting the 100 most important punk rock records of all time in the FFA, but that leaves the question, "What do you mean by important?" which will likely be followed by a spirited five-page debate, so the 100 most important punk rock records thread will just stay shelved for the near future.

Maybe I'll ride a stationary bike and finally get in all that good shape I've been promising myself. Any leads? 
Good luck with the Godwin and Fuller threads even thought I know you're joking .

I was laughing the other day on Jet Nation (I don't post there, but lurk from time to time) and these guys are arguing about Anderson vs Perriman. 90% of those guys arguing for or against Perriman have never seen him play. Then some are throwing things out there like Perriman benefited from having Godwin and Evans out there despite them being target hogs. One guy would counter that Perriman was the #1 guy down the stretch, but another would say but Godwin and Evans only missed 1 game. 

Evans missed 3 games and 3 quarters. I know because I saw him get hurt after his one catch in the first quarter of week 14 against Indy. Godwin got hurt early in the third quarter of week 15 against Detroit.  He missed 2 and a half games. I had both of these guys on multiple fantasy teams. None of them paid attention and even when they quote stats, they're wrong.  That's why I usually don't waste time talking about players in other threads.  Back to Perriman vs Anderson, if you watched Perriman play, he made catches and ran routes that Anderson could never dream of doing even in his Brady dreams.

Regarding your punk thread, I would think that punk might be harder to define than the word important. Was Joy Division punk? Is Green Day punk or pop? Good grief. Sum 41? Lol Just give me Bad Brains, the Stooges, or the Sex Pistols.

Stationary bike? You can spend $3k on the Peloton like I did or just get a little Shih Tzu ($1400) and chase him around the house like I do. Or just jump up and down for free.  The options are limitless.  Don't mind me, I'm coronavirus-cooped up rambling.

Marqui Christan did not sign with us after all. Couldn't agree to official terms. Thanks for the memories. Almost the same stats as Trumaine Johnson in 17 less games.

Very good deal!!!!!

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Jets’ deal for G Greg Van Roten represents great value late in free agency: He got a 3-year, $10.5M deal with $3.25M guaranteed. It’s worth up to $14.25M with incentives.

David Fales signed - another Gase connection - has shown zero proof that he can be a backup...after last yrs disaster I an praying that they dont think he is the backup QB ....

David Fales signed - another Gase connection - has shown zero proof that he can be a backup...after last yrs disaster I an praying that they dont think he is the backup QB ....
The only way to defend this move is that there may not be any OTAs this offseason and/or even training camp so Fales knowing the offense already is a plus. Of course he showed to be total garbage so if Sam does have to miss games there’s no way to have any confidence in him holding down the fort. I’m not sure what they can really do at this point though. Some Jet fans want Flacco but he’s been terrible for the last few seasons and is coming off a major back issue. Sam needs to stay on the field.

The only way to defend this move is that there may not be any OTAs this offseason and/or even training camp so Fales knowing the offense already is a plus. Of course he showed to be total garbage so if Sam does have to miss games there’s no way to have any confidence in him holding down the fort. I’m not sure what they can really do at this point though. Some Jet fans want Flacco but he’s been terrible for the last few seasons and is coming off a major back issue. Sam needs to stay on the field.
That's a good point.  These teams that switched coaches are going to have a rough start.

Flacco stinks.

I hear you but Whats the point of knowing the playbook if he is awful?  I thought they would have learned from last yr - so basically if Sam is out they are raising the white flag.....I think they will draft a developmental QB in the later rds to be a backup.  

Let's say the Jets draft Lamb or Jeudy. What are the fantasy implications for this WR corps? 

Lamb/Jeudy, Perriman, Crowder. Seems like a pretty decent group with a lot of potential minus two factors:

1. Gase

2. Darnold under Gase

I feel like under a competent coach this group could produce 2 weekly fantasy starters at WR 

The bolded is the part I'm concerned about.

I know very little about football. I stopped playing it before I hit puberty. (although i was a pretty damn disruptive 11 year old linebacker)  But even I could see that the Jets passing attack was designed terribly last year based on the personnel they had.  Too many big drop-backs based on the O-Line personnel and the depleted receiving corps.  One of the best pass catching backs in the league (and a 2nd back that is also a former WR and pretty damn good at it)....completely underutilized. No common sense, no creativity.  Bell caught significantly fewer balls than he did in Pittsburgh, and that was an offense with a lot more weapons and a much more capable/experienced QB to sling it downfield. 

Bell is your highest paid offensive player. And for whatever reason (combination of a bad o-line, some rust on his part and MAYBE (but hopefully not) some skill deterioration) the traditional running attack was ineffective. There's no reason Bell shouldn't have gotten at least 100 targets last year.  Hell, McCaffrey got 142!!!!!!!   Alvin Kamara (who was less effective than Bell on a yards/catch basis and had Michael Thomas eating up 185 targets) got 97.

Not saying 2019 Bell is anything close to the player McCaffrey or Bell are, but for him to only get 78 targets was absurd, given the fact that the Jets offense was so desperate for big plays.

So even if the Jets land one of the big WR's, I'm just not sold that Gase knows how to build an explosive or even consistent offense. He just inspires no confidence.

So even if the Jets land one of the big WR's, I'm just not sold that Gase knows how to build an explosive or even consistent offense. He just inspires no confidence.
I would agree with this.

On the other hand, I heard noise about the Jets and Ruggs if the OL that they want isn't there. Perriman and Ruggs certainly would stretch the field and there's not a coach that can really mess that up. Crowder and Bell could then work underneath, as is their skill set.

Users who are viewing this thread