Bojang0301

Dynasty: Rashaad Penny, Seattle Seahawks

534 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

I agree that he belongs in that tier group of Sony, Guice and Chubb.

I understand that the author is using the college numbers compared to Barkley to illustrate his point but I think Penny has strong enough tape that he didn’t need to do that. I think that ends up putting the wrong spin on the article. But this is a player thread not a article writing thread and I think the point stands that Penny should be considered with those other “1b” guys. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fruity pebbles said:

Not sure why you keep bringing up that game. Not exactly the game I’d hang my hat on to show Barkley can suck too. He played a little over a half, only had 10 carries and had almost 200 total yards in that half. Next time pick the Rutgers game.

Because, if someone wants to bring in quality of competition, then that person needs to be consistent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Borden said:

:rolleyes: Calm down there kiddo. 

Regardless of what the reason is or sample size, he has not demonstrated good pass protection. Also, I didn’t say it was a red flag but it is (obviously) a negative. How much weight you want to give college pass blocking skills up to you. Those were simply my observations.

Perhaps going forward you can post your own breakdowns and observations of players then discuss things instead of claiming that other people are lazy or don’t know something. Also, you’re new to the board so maybe at least try to have an adult conversation to start. 

Oh...look somebody can't stand on their own merit so it has to resort to ad hom from last century like kid and son

Do you even realize in the NFL, RBs are left to block in only 20% of all pass plays? No.

How many RBs come out of college with a large sample size of good pass blocking. Let's start with that. I'd like to assess your baseline of knowledge so I can speak to that rather than say things you will never understand 

Edited by BucsRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I seem to remember Donald Brown leading the nation in rushing too playing a very weak schedule.  I like Penny and would probably take him as the 5th or 6th RB behind Barkley, Guice, Michel, Jones and maybe Johnson, but I'm not ignoring his inflated college stats.

What were his measurables again?

Do you remmeber a guy named Hunt dominating a worse conference in 2016?

Gee, I wonder what happened to him 

 

Edited by BucsRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BucsRule said:

What were his measurables again?

Do you remmeber a guy named Hunt dominating a worse conference in 2016?

Gee, I wonder what happened to him 

 

Again, I like Penny, but I have him as the 5th or 6th RB.  I think you have to consider drafting Barkley, Guice, Michel, and Jones before him unless the draft dictates otherwise.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Concept Coop said:

From what I've read, it's not on par with the most college RBs - effort and technique are bad.  And it does matter, ask Derrick Henry owners.

The effort is there.

The technique is terrible 

He is a below avg college pass blocker which is his biggest weakness. 

I don't know why some people say effort isn't there. That's a character flaw Penny doesn't have if you read what his coaches and teammates say about him.

SDSU rarely used him to block since its pass game is based on play action. They run a pro set where the back up RB broke 1,000 yards something like 4 out of the last 6 seasons. That should tell you why they did not teach him to pass block much with limited practice time and his value as a WR and a decoy in the passing game.

 

 

 

Edited by BucsRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Again, I like Penny, but I have him as the 5th or 6th RB.  I think you have to consider drafting Barkley, Guice, Michel, and Jones before him unless the draft dictates otherwise.

I'd love to have Barkely but the Browns have  a better chance at 16-0 than my Bucs do to acquire him.

I do think Penny is the 2nd best RB in the draft. He brings value even if he takes a year or two to pass block due to his running ability and his special teams play. This kid is a special kick returner. Ties the NCAA record for kick off returns and scores a TD on his first career punt return. 

 

Edited by BucsRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BucsRule said:

I'd love to have Barkely but the Browns have  a better chance at 16-0 than my Bucs do to acquire him.

I do think Penny is the 2nd best RB in the draft. He brings value even if he takes a year or two to pass block due to his running ability and his special teams play. This kid is a special kick returner. Ties the NCAA record for kick off returns and scores a TD on his first career punt return. 

 

Unfortunately return yds and tds won't help most leagues.  I have several picks in the 1.5 range, so I'm guessing Penny mightl be on a couple of my dynasty teams.  No way I take him over Guice, Michel, or Jones II unless one or more get saddled with a bad landing spot in the draft.

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Unfortunately return yds and tds won't help most leagues.  I have several picks in the 1.5 range, so I'm guessing Penny mightl be on a couple of my dynasty teams.  No way I take him over Guice, Michel, or Jones II unless one or more get saddled with a bad landing spot in the draft.

It only helps in one of my leagues. Once he picks up blocking, his catching skills will make him a good pickup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the odds this guy ever makes it past 1.09, 12 tm ppr?

What landing spots are we thinking are ideal for Penny? Det, Indy, NYG, NYJ, Den?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pwingles said:

What are the odds this guy ever makes it past 1.09, 12 tm ppr?

What landing spots are we thinking are ideal for Penny? Det, Indy, NYG, NYJ, Den?

Only way he makes it past 1.09 is if he lands in a terrible spot.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 5:11 AM, BucsRule said:

SDSU rarely used him to block since its pass game is based on play action. They run a pro set where the back up RB broke 1,000 yards something like 4 out of the last 6 seasons. That should tell you why they did not teach him to pass block much...

 

 

 

It should also tell you something about his level of competition.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports besides RB Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny "seems to be the RB teams get most excited about."

Penny has taken predraft official visits with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Rams, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants so far. Despite the hype on Penny, he only produced an athletic composite score in the 41st percentile and has some serious issues with pass-blocking. Penny excelled as a pure-runner, rushing for 2,248 yards while averaging 7.8 yards-per-carry and 23 touchdowns as a senior at San Diego State. It wouldn't be surprising to see him selected in the late first-round, but in a deep running back class it makes more sense for him to be an early Day 2 selection.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter 

Apr 15 - 5:39 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What scares me most about Penny is the lack of power to his game.  I just don't see him breaking tackles. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the acceleration, breakaway speed, and the occasional killer jump cuts.  I'll be drafting him if he makes it to 7,8.  I just wonder if this glaring weakness makes him share duties?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, JohnnyU said:

In all fairness to your boss, in today's world programmers need to have communication skills they didn't necessarily need 30 to 40 years ago.  I know this because I am a software developer. 

I have people skills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An NFL scout told Bob McGinn Football that San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny lacks a "good feel" for the game.

The scout notes that San Diego State's system is designed to pump out gaudy statistical performances from its running backs. Another evaluator told McGinn of the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, "He runs high. I don’t like his pad level. He’s strong and he’s very fast." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein has likewise noted that Penny tends to carry himself a bit upright. On the more positive side of the evaluating ledger, one scout who spoke with McGinn did praise the Aztecs back for his "great contact balance."

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 12:31 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm calling bs on the pad level argument. Dude lowers his shoulders when required.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

I'm calling bs on the pad level argument. Dude lowers his shoulders when required.

Said scout wants penny to fall I bet. Season of misinformation. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, Tecmo said:

What scares me most about Penny is the lack of power to his game.  I just don't see him breaking tackles. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the acceleration, breakaway speed, and the occasional killer jump cuts.  I'll be drafting him if he makes it to 7,8.  I just wonder if this glaring weakness makes him share duties?

He led the nation in YAC with 1,295 last year  and YAC average. That shows he has power. He may not be a tank, but he certainly is no weakling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 5:55 PM, kutta said:

It should also tell you something about his level of competition.

How does the fact SDSU doesn't pass have to do with the level?

A team who runs as often as SDSU is going to churn out multiple 1,000 yard backs. The back up isn't rushing during garbage time. That goes to the 3rd, 4th and 5th RB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BucsRule said:

How does the fact SDSU doesn't pass have to do with the level?

A team who runs as often as SDSU is going to churn out multiple 1,000 yard backs. The back up isn't rushing during garbage time. That goes to the 3rd, 4th and 5th RB. 

It also could mean they are playing against some bad defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Love this guy, fwiw: big, fast, fluid, and elusive. Good vision, could be a little better, but he's decisive so whatever crease he chooses will at least get hit with 220lbs downhill. 

Hopefully he goes in the early 2nd to NYG, Ind, or TB, which would make him the 1.02 in most formats.

Edited by cloppbeast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kutta said:

It also could mean they are playing against some bad defenses.

Marshall Faulk, LT2, David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Kareem Hunt... I'm sorry, while its a true statement it means very little to me. He dominated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Marshall Faulk, LT2, David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Kareem Hunt... I'm sorry, while its a true statement it means very little to me. He dominated. 

And the subject had a better ypc than all of the above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Marshall Faulk, LT2, David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Kareem Hunt... I'm sorry, while its a true statement it means very little to me. He dominated. 

And Donnell Pumphrey dominated too - after all, he’s the all-time NCAA Division 1 FBS rushing leader.

How’s that working out for him?

Edited by kutta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kutta said:

And Donald Pumphrey dominated too - after all, he’s the all-time NCAA Division 1 FBS rushing leader.

How’s that working out for him?

Pumphrey looked awesome before putting pads on but didn't look good in limited pre season work then had a minor hamstring injury.  The eagles put him on ir to keep the roster spot. He was healthy by October, learned the offense and put on muscle mass.  He was about 195 as of early March and still working towards taking the sproles role.  Still has the potential to emerge as a third down or CoP back with touchdown potential, and an outside chance to earn more.  Whether that's with the eagles or not, or this year, I don't know. He's a guy to keep on your dynasty waiver radar or grab for nothing in a trade imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also it's Donnell not Donald. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kutta said:

And Donald Pumphrey dominated too - after all, he’s the all-time NCAA Division 1 FBS rushing leader.

How’s that working out for him?

How’s it working out for David Fluellen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Also it's Donnell not Donald. 

Thanks - bourbon and auto-correct are a tough combo to overcome...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kutta said:

Thanks - bourbon and auto-correct are a tough combo to overcome...

Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way I get him at 1.3 (technically 1.7) now!!! Screw me!!!!

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well heck, have 1.04 in two leagues and was planning on him there in both.  This might draw too much attention though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hankmoody said:

Well heck, have 1.04 in two leagues and was planning on him there in both.  This might draw too much attention though.

Kiss that pick Good bye!!! 

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took him 1.05, very happy with the landing spot. Now get some oline. 

Have 1.03/1.04 in another draft, may have more penny stocks. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is great. Loved me some Penny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld take:

Seahawks selected San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny with the No. 27 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Penny wasn't forecast as a first-round pick but has an impressive profile. Seattle has been in desperate need of improving its running game. Penny (5’11/220) emerged from Donnel Pumphrey’s shadow as a senior, logging a prolific 289/2,248/7.8/23 rushing line and graduating with a silly 7.49 YPC average and eight career return TDs, seven on kickoffs and one on a punt. In 2017, PFF College credited Penny with the most missed tackles forced (86) and runs of 15-plus yards (35) among draft-eligible backs. Penny ran 4.46 at the Combine for an exciting 92nd-percentile Speed Score. Penny needs work in the passing game – his blocking was inconsistent on college tape, and he never caught more than 19 passes in a season – but Penny offers workhorse potential as a faster version of Carlos Hyde.

Apr 26 - 11:08 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dynasty Maverick‏ @DFF_Maverick 6m6 minutes ago

Penny to Seattle at 27 just absolutely blew up rookie drafts. No longer a mid to late 1st.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.