What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaylen Samuels - Steelers RB/TE Hybrid - Dynasty (1 Viewer)

There is a good chance that they are intentionally underestimating how long he'll be out and will act like he is coming back for several weeks when he has no chance to actually come back because they will want teams to have to prepare for all of his wildcat/gadget plays.  I'm still holding on to him.  He can still be a league winner if Conner goes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Jaylen Samuels (knee) is back practicing "partially."

It's only been two weeks since Samuels was initially diagnosed with a 4-6 week timetable following a knee scope, which is great news for his availability in the near future. Fourth-round RB Benny Snell has since worked as Conner's backup, most recently handling 17 carries for 75 yards and one score once Conner left Week 6 with a knee injury. Whomever wins the backup role with all three healthy has an obvious path to opportunity given the fact Conner's now dealt with two week-long injuries in only six games played.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Oct 22, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

Jaylen Samuels (knee) is questionable for Week 8 against the Dolphins.

Samuels has practiced in full this week, but he's still drawing a questionable tag for whatever reason. The matchup against the Dolphins is appealing, but Samuels has been a non-factor in all but one game this season. Samuels will be a change-of-pace option behind James Conner if he's active. Samuels' return would slightly decrease Conner's outlook.

SOURCE: Missi Matthews on Twitter

Oct 26, 2019, 2:14 PM ET

Picked him up, but not sure if I can put him in over Ekeler in my flex. The only game I haven't started Ek I got burned on his massive receiving share, and on paper the matchup agains GB is juicier than the stouter Indy D.

Hold our horses LOL.

I'd love to Giddy Up with Samuels IF Connors is OUT. His injury doesn't appear to be too big of a deal. He may play? He may sit? Or a hybrid version.

Speaking of, Samuels used to qualify as a TE and RB. Not anymore?

Hold our horses LOL.

I'd love to Giddy Up with Samuels IF Connors is OUT. His injury doesn't appear to be too big of a deal. He may play? He may sit? Or a hybrid version.

Any site that allowed him to be a TE last year made a mistake.  The Steelers said he would play exclusively at RB when they drafted him and that is exactly what has happened.

Hold our horses LOL.

No, at least I don't think so. Yahoo did last year, though.

Was just offered White for Jaylen in a 0.5 ppr. Very tempted to pull the trigger..... if conner misses more time do we think it’s gonna be the Samuels show in Pitt?

ahartig said:
Was just offered White for Jaylen in a 0.5 ppr. Very tempted to pull the trigger..... if conner misses more time do we think it’s gonna be the Samuels show in Pitt?

Deamon said:
Ditto yes to the Samuels show in PIT if Connors misses anymore. Samuels is a consensus home run pick for today. All signs point to a big game. 

J White has a new little injury just enough to cause owners to finally bail. He's supposed to have a good second half?

All that being said, I guess I gotta hold on Samuels this week and let this thing play itself out. The trade offer will most likely be there next week if interested in re-visiting, or not? Depending upon the landscape. Samuels imparts a lil excitement. I don't think he'll tank.

Giddy Up on Samuels 

EDIT: 6:50 a.m. Ouh oh reading news on Connors injury could be longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... stay tuned

Ditto yes to the Samuels show in PIT if Connors misses anymore. Samuels is a consensus home run pick for today. All signs point to a big game. 

J White has a new little injury just enough to cause owners to finally bail. He's supposed to have a good second half?

All that being said, I guess I gotta hold on Samuels this week and let this thing play itself out. The trade offer will most likely be there next week if interested in re-visiting, or not? Depending upon the landscape. Samuels imparts a lil excitement. I don't think he'll tank.

Giddy Up on Samuels 

EDIT: 6:50 a.m. Ouh oh reading news on Connors injury could be longerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... stay tuned
Samuels wont be at his current price next week if 1- he had a big game, and 2- news about Connors injury is more well known

Just traded a late 2nd (probably) and Ryan Finley for Samuels in a devy league.  I know Conner is the guy, but I could use Samuels for a few weeks and I like his long term upside.

Giddy Up on Samuels 

Appreciate the input. I also have Sony, Brady, Sanu and the NE D. Not sure i should put so many eggs in one basket, even though it’s a damn good basket. 

i remember Jaylen being a league winner last year, especially with his TE status in yahoo. The Pitt o line always seems to be top notch and their commitment to the run is rare nowadays. 

Jaylen has the body type to be a bell cow.  There is no reason to believe he can't be a heavily used running back.  But it might not happen this week.  He recently had surgery on his knee.  He wasn't healthy enough to be active last week.  Maybe it was precautionary.  Maybe he wasn't/isn't 100%.  It's possible that Trey Edmunds out touches Samuels this week.  Or maybe Samuels gets 30 touches.  Any thing could happen.

Jaylen has the body type to be a bell cow.  There is no reason to believe he can't be a heavily used running back.  But it might not happen this week.  He recently had surgery on his knee.  He wasn't healthy enough to be active last week.  Maybe it was precautionary.  Maybe he wasn't/isn't 100%.  It's possible that Trey Edmunds out touches Samuels this week.  Or maybe Samuels gets 30 touches.  Any thing could happen.
all reports said he was 100% last week and healthy enough to be active, but pit decided to make him a healthy scratch

I think we can safely put to rest the talk of Jaylen taking over RB1 from James Conner. Jaylen is a great backup and an excellent passing option but this team misses James when they need to rush the ball for short yardage.

I think we can safely put to rest the talk of Jaylen taking over RB1 from James Conner. Jaylen is a great backup and an excellent passing option but this team misses James when they need to rush the ball for short yardage.
Who was saying this?

Jaylen Samuels rushed eight times for 10 yards in the Steelers' Week 9 win over the Colts, adding 13 receptions for 73 additional yards.

Samuels was roughly two inches away from scoring a short touchdown but was ruled short. He was featured early and often, particularly as a receiver. The majority of his receptions were simply dump offs after Mason Rudolph decided against throwing downfield, but the Steelers also made an effort to feed Samuels in the screen game. This was the case in Week 4 even with James Conner (shoulder) active. Samuels will continue to flirt with high-end RB2 status with Conner and Benny Snell (knee) sidelined, although he did fumble and didn’t have a complete workhorse role Sunday with Trey Edmunds (12 rush attempts, 17 snaps) also involved. Next week’s matchup against the Rams isn’t ideal, but Samuels is an auto-start RB2 in fantasy formats of all shapes and sizes with this type of pass-game work.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:57 PM ET

Well, seems like the status on Connors is a bit iffy for next week too! Thursday night vs the Browns.

Also seems like Samuels is moving way up the ranks for this week especially - in the category of a strong RB 2 with upside. I see his ROS projections rising as well. As a Samuels owner in all 3 leagues (free FA pick up) I'm looking to sell for a Hyde, Coleman, or disgruntled D Johnson owner. I may sacrifice short term points for long term solution. I don't know if they'd bite? The Hyde owner needs help this week.

Lots of love for Samuels right now.

Wasn't really thrilled to see him rush the ball, which scares me some. Can't count on that many receptions week in and week out.

Anymore Samuels thoughts? I realize Connors is a variable.

Jaylen doesn't look that great running the ball.  He is Corey Clement but with even better receiving skills.  He is PPR platinum.

Well, seems like the status on Connors is a bit iffy for next week too! Thursday night vs the Browns.

Also seems like Samuels is moving way up the ranks for this week especially - in the category of a strong RB 2 with upside. I see his ROS projections rising as well. As a Samuels owner in all 3 leagues (free FA pick up) I'm looking to sell for a Hyde, Coleman, or disgruntled D Johnson owner. I may sacrifice short term points for long term solution. I don't know if they'd bite? The Hyde owner needs help this week.

Lots of love for Samuels right now.

Wasn't really thrilled to see him rush the ball, which scares me some. Can't count on that many receptions week in and week out.

Anymore Samuels thoughts? I realize Connors is a variable.
I own both Samuels and Coleman and would struggle to decide on that trade. But I haven’t been very good at starting Coleman at the right times.

Samuels worries me, just based on last week’s look, as Edmunds seemed to be the guy they want running the ball. 

Maybe that all changes if they had reviewed that TD and he’d have gotten in.

Long term I think you are right though. Coleman has more potential.

I own both Samuels and Coleman and would struggle to decide on that trade. But I haven’t been very good at starting Coleman at the right times.

Samuels worries me, just based on last week’s look, as Edmunds seemed to be the guy they want running the ball. 

Maybe that all changes if they had reviewed that TD and he’d have gotten in.

Long term I think you are right though. Coleman has more potential.
And that was a TD!

I traded Samuels for James White this week to the Conner owner. 0.5 ppr. White is due for more TDs especially with NE schedule coming up. 

I traded Samuels for James White this week to the Conner owner. 0.5 ppr. White is due for more TDs especially with NE schedule coming up. 
I'm wondering if us Samuels owners should be trying to secure Conner. Conner owners have to be frustrated right now and the threat is real that he doesn't play next Thursday.

For example, I'm tinkering with the idea of offering K. Drake for Conner. Drake is startable, but Edmonds could be back soon. Securing the PIT backfield could be wise understanding what looks to be a sweet playoff schedule.

I'm wondering if us Samuels owners should be trying to secure Conner. Conner owners have to be frustrated right now and the threat is real that he doesn't play next Thursday.

For example, I'm tinkering with the idea of offering K. Drake for Conner. Drake is startable, but Edmonds could be back soon. Securing the PIT backfield could be wise understanding what looks to be a sweet playoff schedule.
I've tried to acquire Conner in the leagues where I own Samuels.  I own Samuels in all of my leagues.  All Conner owners have asked a lot.

Once Conner is fully healthy pretty sure he goes back to the workhorse role including 4-6 targets a game. 

big unknown is how bad is the shoulder injury. 

I've tried to acquire Conner in the leagues where I own Samuels.  I own Samuels in all of my leagues.  All Conner owners have asked a lot.
I think Conner owners are emboldened that Samuels is used as a passing down back and the Steelers have shown they like Edmunds better as a runner. 

That seems to say Conner is the guy when healthy, and he's going to clean up on the combination of those rushing yards plus Dr. Dumpoff at QB being unable to throw the ball down the field. 

Once Conner is fully healthy pretty sure he goes back to the workhorse role including 4-6 targets a game. 

big unknown is how bad is the shoulder injury. 
Totally true.  And the truth that Conner may not play another down this season is as true as anything else.  The land is fecund.  Whether you have plenty and have Conner to trade or if you are lacking and want to acquire Conner.  The land is fertile.  And it is all better combined with Samuels.

I think Conner owners are emboldened that Samuels is used as a passing down back and the Steelers have shown they like Edmunds better as a runner. 

That seems to say Conner is the guy when healthy, and he's going to clean up on the combination of those rushing yards plus Dr. Dumpoff at QB being unable to throw the ball down the field. 
I wonder if they mix in Samuels (and Snell for that matter) more once Conner is back on the field. It's pretty apparent Conner tends to get dinged. Not sure Conner is a true workhorse once he's back. 

Users who are viewing this thread