What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaylen Samuels - Steelers RB/TE Hybrid - Dynasty (2 Viewers)

I wonder if they mix in Samuels (and Snell for that matter) more once Conner is back on the field. It's pretty apparent Conner tends to get dinged. Not sure Conner is a true workhorse once he's back. 
I'm pretty sure he is, since he has been every time he's returned from injury so far.  He's the guy when healthy, until we see otherwise. 

Jaylen Samuels rushed 14 times for 29 yards and caught 3-of-7 targets for 11 yards in the Steelers' Week 10 win over the Rams.

Samuels is not a traditional running back and it's fair to question if he should handle 10+ carries in NFL games, but he had been a reliable plug-and-play fantasy starter whenever James Conner missed because of his pass-catching ability. This week, Mason Rudolph had issues connecting with Samuels, who also lost 10 combined carries to Tony Brookes-James and Trey Edmunds. If Conner misses Week 11, Samuels will be a volume-based RB2 option with pass-catching upside against the Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaylen Samuels rushed five times for 26 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Browns, adding five receptions for 19 yards and a touchdown.

James Conner touched the ball only six times before departing with an aggravation of his shoulder injury, but the Steelers struggled to get Samuels involved despite the fact that JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion) and Diontae Johnson (concussion) joined Conner on the sideline. Even with all the injuries in the Steelers' backfield, Samuels has cleared 10 carries just twice. If Conner is out, Samuels will have major RB2 appeal for next week's smash spot with the Bengals' league-worst run defense.

He was the number one handcuff I wanted to grab in all my leagues but with the ineffectiveness and giving up some work to the others it hasn't panned out as well.
Of course, I dropped him prior to the game. That said, I don't see a ton of value here. Tomlin will sprinkle in Edmonds and that other guy. And who knows, Snell could be back.

Opponent is Cinci. However, with Mason at QB and the entire WR corp with concussions, I don't see that offense moving the ball too well.

Someone dropped Latavius Murray after Kamara came back in my work league, had to cut Samuels to grab him and feel fine about it. If Kamara gets dinged again Murray could be a league winner. 

And that matters to a RB who handles a heavy rushing workload, but Samuels has never done that in his college or pro career. He has always and will always be a complementary back.
Trey Edwards neither. That's why Snell could be the Steeler to own, if he can play soon.

Jaylen Samuels rushed just two times for six yards and caught all three of his targets for 26 yards in the Steelers' Week 12 win over the Bengals.

Most expected Samuels to again be the Steelers' lead back with James Conner (shoulder) missing another game, but Benny Snell was back in the lineup off his multi-week knee injury and handled 22 touches, turning them into 103 scoreless yards. Even Kerrith Whyte (6-43 rushing) and Trey Edmunds (2-7) out-produced Samuels on the ground. Samuels is looking like someone to cut loose in redraft leagues with Conner likely set to return very soon.

Last Tuesday's Add is this Tuesday's Drop.
Any one of us could work for these fantasy sites. They put in about as much work & insight as we do. Heck they keep ranking Barkley top 5 option when most people with a brain don't even flex him.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Jaylen Samuels (groin) will be evaluated this week.

With James Conner (shoulder) expected to practice "at some capacity" this week, Tomlin said he won't worry about workload distribution at the running back position until he's sure who's in. If both Samuels and Conner are absent, fantasy players should expect fourth-round rookie Benny Snell to receive an uptick in volume as a touchdown-or-bust RB3/4 since it's Samuels who's hoarded Pittsburgh's receiving-game role the past two weeks. Kerrith Whyte and Trey Edmunds would also be involved behind Snell in that scenario.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 12:49 PM ET

Jaylen Samuels (groin) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

The biggest news in Pittsburgh today were the returns of James Conner (shoulder) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee). Both are now expected to play Week 15 against the Bills, which renders Samuels close to useless even if he is active. With a DNP to start the week, Samuels is questionable, at best, for Sunday.

SOURCE: Steelers.com

Dec 11, 2019, 6:07 PM ET

(FantasyPros) Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jaylen Samuels caught 1-of-2 targets for a 16-yard gain in a 28-10 loss to the Ravens in Week 17. Analysis: Samuels didn't receive a carry. The Steelers clearly view him as little more than a third-down back as his work in the running game was scaled back as the season wore on. He finishes the year with 47 receptions.
droppable in dyno?

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette believes Steelers RB Jaylen Samuels may not make the team.

It's a numbers game, and Samuel's roster spot may come down to the team's decision to keep either three or four traditional running backs. This offseason, the Steelers signed FB Derek Watt and drafted Anthony McFarland out of Maryland. Both acquisitions will make the roster, as will James Conner and Benny Snell. Bouchette notes that Samuels is likely competing with Kerrith Whyte in training camp for the final spot. Ultimately, Bouchette left Samuels off his initial 53-man roster projection. Samuels averaged 2.7 yards on his 67 carries and 5.4 yards on his 57 targets last season.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 10, 2020, 12:37 AM ET

Steelers released RB Jaylen Samuels.

Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland will remain on the roster behind first-rounder Najee Harris in (significantly) lesser roles. Samuels has flashed abilities as a Swiss Army knife from the backfield at times but averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and 5.4 yards per catch as the team's No. 3 back last year. He could step right in as a viable option on 3rd-down if given a shot elsewhere ahead of Week 1.

I think the Steelers should have kept Samuels over Snell for his versatility and ability to contribute on special teams.   He'll land on someone's practice squad I bet 

Steelers released RB Jaylen Samuels.

Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland will remain on the roster behind first-rounder Najee Harris in (significantly) lesser roles. Samuels has flashed abilities as a Swiss Army knife from the backfield at times but averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and 5.4 yards per catch as the team's No. 3 back last year. He could step right in as a viable option on 3rd-down if given a shot elsewhere ahead of Week 1.
A couple of years too late.

Users who are viewing this thread