What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Miller WR Houston Texans (2 Viewers)

Taylor Gabriel is his immediate problem.

I like Miller a ton, but he's going to be fighting for snaps. Factor in White (who's been playing pretty well and would be a big red zone threat) and maybe Wims, and god help us but Bellamy always manages to be on the field somehow. Plus you have 2 pretty good pass catching tight ends... oh and Cohen. There are just a lot of mouths to feed on an offense that might not be very efficient anyway. 

If Miller is going to have any real fantasy value outside of best ball leagues, he has to beat out Grabriel, and thats no lock. Miller has a way higher ceiling, but rookies make mistakes, and mistakes lead to turnovers. Nagy may want to ease him in this season, and with all these options, thats just not a recipe for fantasy success in my mind.
Gabriel is the least of Miller’s worries.  I just hope his foot doesn’t act up.  If he stays healthy he has a good chance of outperforming all of those WRs.  One who could outperform all of them is Kirk.  He’s currently favored to be the WR #2.  Gallup has the best situation, I just don’t think he’s as good as Miller or Kirk, or Washington.   Washington has the biggest uphill climb due to competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miller. He has no competition. he's already their best WR. He was their best guy once the drafted him. Gabriel is no competition and neither is White. Gallup has no QB. Sutton has 2 guys in his way. Washington as well.
How exactly is Trubisky better than Prescott?  

Sure, Mitch may be better than Dak in the long run, but we certainly haven't seen that yet.

I can’t help but wonder if we shouldn’t see a rookie catch a few regular season passes before we elevate him way past a guy who has a 1400 yd sophomore season on his resume despite having Bortles as his QB?

I can’t help but wonder if we shouldn’t see a rookie catch a few regular season passes before we elevate him way past a guy who has a 1400 yd sophomore season on his resume despite having Bortles as his QB?
I don't even understand why people are drafting rookie WRs in general. I think everyone thinks that their rookie pick is going to strike gold and pull a Cris Collinsworth. For the majority of them being fantasy relevant isn't even in their range of outcomes. 

I don't even understand why people are drafting rookie WRs in general. I think everyone thinks that their rookie pick is going to strike gold and pull a Cris Collinsworth. For the majority of them being fantasy relevant isn't even in their range of outcomes. 
It doesn't happen often.  K. Benjamin & M. Thomas come to mind but they were both slated to start day 1.

There are always fantasy relevant rookie WRs:
OBJ, Evans, Thomas, Benjamin, Shepherd, Kupp, JuJu, Tyreek, Jordan Matthews, Cooper, Watkins, Keenan Allen, Fitzgerald, AJ, Torrey Smith, Julio, Tampa Mike Williams to name a few. It is rare to get a WR1 type season but it is likely 1-3 receivers end up as WR3s or 4s

It doesn't happen often.  K. Benjamin & M. Thomas come to mind but they were both slated to start day 1.
Of course most of these guys were drafted earlier than Miller but: Evans, Odell, Amari, Sammy Wat, Nuk, Landry. I think even Patterson and Gordon put up wr2 numbers down the stretch as rookies. I agree with the overall point that it tough to see redraft value from Miller or the rookie wrs in general. But it does happen. 

Ilov80s said:
What is going on with Allen Robinson? Is he practicing or playing pre season?
Nagy said he doesn't think preseason helps enough to risk his [starting] players health (paraphrasing). So if Robinson didn't see action it is probably a good sign.

Cmon Cupp, mike Thomas,  schuster, t hill, Beckham, Keenan Allen are just a few that I thought of the last few years 

eta...you guys beat me to the punch

Cmon Cupp, mike Thomas,  schuster, t hill, Beckham, Keenan Allen are just a few that I thought of the last few years 

eta...you guys beat me to the punch
good list but I think K. Allen lost his first two seasons due to injury.  still-good list.

There are always fantasy relevant rookie WRs:
OBJ, Evans, Thomas, Benjamin, Shepherd, Kupp, JuJu, Tyreek, Jordan Matthews, Cooper, Watkins, Keenan Allen, Fitzgerald, AJ, Torrey Smith, Julio, Tampa Mike Williams to name a few. It is rare to get a WR1 type season but it is likely 1-3 receivers end up as WR3s or 4s
Definitely happens, though I do think that 2014 season has caused people to overestimate the likelihood.  5 of the top 26 rookie WR seasons of the past 25 years occurred that year.  And 10 of the top 87.  About half your list is from that year.  Which I guess is kind of arbitrary, but I still think the fact that is fresh is causing a bias.

He is overrated until he is not. Kid has a chance if Mitch is decent and Nagy is as aggressive as he has portrayed. ARob had a great year once surviving off deep balls and touchdowns (two of the hardest things to be consistent with). Trubisky has no more experience with ARob vs Miller so we will see what happens.

-X- said:
LOVED watching this kid play in Memphis.  Solid route runner, exceptional hands, exceptional body control, plus speed, and above average ability to elevate to pull down contested balls. 

He lacks focus at times (has some drops as a result), but he works hard as hell and carries just the right amount of swagger IMO. 

If he gets his shot and is used properly, he’s going to be dangerous. 

So...  Anyone rolling the dice on starting him tomorrow?  After watching all those highlights a few times, I’m thinking about swapping out Amari Cooper for him.  Crazy, right?  1.0 PPR.

ooh boy, I too have high hopes for this young man but that does seem a little nuts to me.  I am in wait and see mode with most of the Bears offensive players.  I just think we need a week or three to see how the targets shares shakeout.  So much change there and new weapons i'd still start Amari this week without hesitation.

I still don't see a path to redraft value despite liking his talent. I think there's a good chance he ends up behind ARob, Burton and possibly Cohen. The offense will move through Howard. I don't see Trubisky passing a lot. What am I missing?

ooh boy, I too have high hopes for this young man but that does seem a little nuts to me.  I am in wait and see mode with most of the Bears offensive players.  I just think we need a week or three to see how the targets shares shakeout.  So much change there and new weapons i'd still start Amari this week without hesitation.
Rams’ corners scare me, though; analytics show both Peters & Talib have kept Cooper in check.  Only hope is that the Rams put up big points, so their D plays softer coverages in the second half during garbage time.

Opponent already hung a 28 on me with Julio Jones...

I just have a feeling Miller’s going to get a lot of Trubador love due to his quickness, separation skills and route-running (aside from his huge sticky mitts).

So...  Anyone rolling the dice on starting him tomorrow?  After watching all those highlights a few times, I’m thinking about swapping out Amari Cooper for him.  Crazy, right?  1.0 PPR.
Not me. Big Bears fan here. I grabbed him in early second of dynasty and late in all my redrafts. I wouldn't dare start him until I saw him put up some decent games.

I think you have to start Cooper at least until Miller shows himself to be a better option, which will be hard, as Cooper is a very good WR despite a poor season last year.

I agree with flap that I wouldn't plan on starting Miller until he has shown what he can do in a few games.

LOVED watching this kid play in Memphis.  Solid route runner, exceptional hands, exceptional body control, plus speed, and above average ability to elevate to pull down contested balls. 

He lacks focus at times (has some drops as a result), but he works hard as hell and carries just the right amount of swagger IMO. 

If he gets his shot and is used properly, he’s going to be dangerous. 
Drafted him in my only dynasty so I’m in on him. Watching the vids, I’ll agree with all of this except the “plus speed”. He’s quick but not fast. Rather easily apparent even on the long TDs, he just doesn’t have that next gear. Rarely gets down field speed based separation even when one on one. Relies on route running. I took my shot with drafting him over Washington based upon immediate opportunity but I may have missed the boat long term 

Drafted him in my only dynasty so I’m in on him. Watching the vids, I’ll agree with all of this except the “plus speed”. He’s quick but not fast. Rather easily apparent even on the long TDs, he just doesn’t have that next gear. Rarely gets down field speed based separation even when one on one. Relies on route running. I took my shot with drafting him over Washington based upon immediate opportunity but I may have missed the boat long term 
I’ll stand by my “rich man’s Jarvis Landry” comp made a month ago in the dynasty value thread.  

Fair assessment...

I guess I was generalizing strong quickness with “unlikely to get caught from behind” speed as an overall “plus speed”. 

That said, he’s definitely not a “Speed” guy who’s going to make his money burning DBs deep. I agree 100% there.  He makes his money either getting separation, or putting himself in a position to make the catch. 

Those commenting on TD’s don’t get it. Miller’s value this year is purely in PPR out of the slot.

There is a solid chance he becomes a good WR3 / flex play purely by virtue of pulling down around a half dozen balls a game (though I think he’ll take some time to develop that rapport, if it develops at all this year).

He has big play ability and will likely take one of two to the house as well, but should not be drafted for his TD production. Agreed 100% with those who say Miller is of dubious value in all but the deepest standard leagues. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Anthony Miller caught 2-of-3 passes for 14 yards in Week 1 against the Packers.

He was the third receiver behind Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel. Miller didn't have any notable plays, but his role should rise as the season progresses. Miller is just a dynastry stash until he passes Gabriel on the depth chart.

Sep 10 - 12:38 AM

Nowhere near where his hype has been at. I saw some people saying he could lead the Bears in targets....it's only 1 game I know, but c'mon. 

Anthony Miller caught 2-of-3 targets for 11 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 2 win over the Seahawks.

Miller's touchdown came from 10 yards out on a fine play by Mitchell Trubisky to throw with his right while running left. Still, Miller is deep down the totem pole for targets in what is currently an ugly passing offense. He has five grabs for 25 yards and the score through two games. Leave him on the wire.

Sep 18 - 12:19 AM

Most impressive play was casually plucking final onside kick off turf. 

What's Gabriel contract situation?
Gabriel us simply in the way because the hard coach hasn't figured it out yet that Miller is a million x Gabriel. All Gabriel has is speed and should be used like Shanahan used him.

Users who are viewing this thread