What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Lakers fan, I wouldn’t give up more than Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma and two 1sts. No Solomon Hill contract back. If that’s not enough, Pels can pound sand. They won’t get any better offer now or in the summer.
Probably true, but you might have to eat Hill's contract to seal the deal.  Not the worst thing in the world. 

Kind of telling that this AD schedule moved up and literally every young “rising star” on the Lakers is about to be traded. I guess the honeymoon is over and Lebron doesn’t want to waste any time after seeing he is human with an injury. 

Kind of telling that this AD schedule moved up and literally every young “rising star” on the Lakers is about to be traded. I guess the honeymoon is over and Lebron doesn’t want to waste any time after seeing he is human with an injury. 
I mean who couldn’t see this coming? Father Time is knocking for Lebron. All that nonsense him and the Lakers were spinning at the beginning of the year about being patient and building a team, was laughable. We all knew LeBron didn’t come to LA to not try and get another ring. 

The problem for James IMO  is he is in the West and just bringing in AD won’t be enough. If you empty the cupboard of all the young talent including future #1s what are you left with? He needs a deeper team around him to make a run. 

As a Lakers fan, I wouldn’t give up more than Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma and two 1sts. No Solomon Hill contract back. If that’s not enough, Pels can pound sand. They won’t get any better offer now or in the summer.
Sure they will. Boston will beat that offer immediately. 

AD should have just said nothing and played the contract out.  What the hell is one more year?  Go to the Lakers then or wherever you want.

Instead he may end up with Lebron (year 17), a bare roster and no picks.  Their is definetly a chance things could go sideways. 

Why risk it?
wants to get to lebron sooner before he is totally dead

Seems likely AD is staying until the offseason.  Might be another ho-hum trade deadline.  Mike Conley seems like the biggest name player that might be moved.

Yeah, but this isn't exactly giving up on the young guys to get veterans.  This is Anthony Davis.
True. Just funny based on all the hype of the young guys and lebron together and the bs line of this not being a wasted season etc when every single young piece gets moved and the team is lebron and the castoff vets he brought in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
AD should have just said nothing and played the contract out.  What the hell is one more year?  Go to the Lakers then or wherever you want.

Instead he may end up with Lebron (year 17), a bare roster and no picks.  Their is definetly a chance things could go sideways. 

Why risk it?
cause Lebron was utterly foolish thinking he could go to LA with that team and the pieces they added and accomplish anything. It is crazy that last near the end of last year they were showing flashes of a growing young nucleus, and that with the addition of Lebron this year that has all gone kaput.

So thankful Lebron didn't want to come to Philadelphia. I had no idea the wreckage he can cause with his arrival.

People keep saying this, but are the Celtics really going to offer Tatum, Brown, Smart, and the Memphis pick because that’s what it’s going to take to beat the Lakers all-in offer.  
I was just thinking about how I would rank the various Celtics and Lakers "assets".

Top of the list would be Tatum.  Second would be the Memphis pick.  I'd have to research some stats to decide what order to put Brown, Kuzma, Ingram and Ball.  Lakers picks aren't worth that much.

I really think a Celtics offer could be much better.

People keep saying this, but are the Celtics really going to offer Tatum, Brown, Smart, and the Memphis pick because that’s what it’s going to take to beat the Lakers all-in offer.  
most of the media out there (now) feel if Boston doesn't get AD, Kyrie leaves. So any deal Boston makes may be essentially for Kyrie and AD.

It is funny all of the hoopla around Jimmy Butler, which was justified. But you have guys like Lebron, AD, and Irving basically putting their teams in turmoil at the same time. Only difference is Jimmy needs a better PR guy or a little less in your face kind of thing. Funny thinking now about it with all the worries about Jimmy coming to Philadelphia. Most here in Philly feel that one of the main benefits of bringing Jimmy in is that it has made Ben and Joel closer, knowing how important both are and how they need each other.

it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, no worries here.....

I was just thinking about how I would rank the various Celtics and Lakers "assets".

Top of the list would be Tatum.  Second would be the Memphis pick.  I'd have to research some stats to decide what order to put Brown, Kuzma, Ingram and Ball.  Lakers picks aren't worth that much.

I do think there is a legit question as to what has happened to Tatum this year. Why has he not grown from last year and how does his future look. Most I have heard seem to blame it on Kyrie being in the way. Not sure it is all of that, but Tatum isn't as sexy as he was after last season. Same with Brown too.

ETA: not saying he isn't the top asset there, but something if I were New Orleans I would have to think about.

Crazy to me more teams aren't involved here. I am sure AD will play for whoever trades for him through his contract, get him on a rental or trade him yourself. Would love to see him on a Toronto or Milwaukee, if even just for this year.

I still am trying to figure out how the Celtics would look if they re-sign Kyrie and they trade for AD. They would have to unload guys like Tatum and Brown because I don't know how they can fit them all in under the salary cap with the heyward contract and needing other bodies. Makes me think if I am Ainge I want to give the impression that those guys are untouchable, but in reality I would rather keep some of these draft picks and have some young guys with rookie contracts for a few years until that heyward contract expires.

Ingram, Tatum, Ball, Memphis pick, Kuzma, Brown.

cause Lebron was utterly foolish thinking he could go to LA with that team and the pieces they added and accomplish anything. It is crazy that last near the end of last year they were showing flashes of a growing young nucleus, and that with the addition of Lebron this year that has all gone kaput.

So thankful Lebron didn't want to come to Philadelphia. I had no idea the wreckage he can cause with his arrival.
The Lakers showed signs of being a dominant team when everyone was healthy. The reason the team isn’t top 3 in the conference is that LeBron and Rondo have each missed 18 games, Ingram 7, Lonzo 6 and counting, Kuzma 4.

Seems likely AD is staying until the offseason.  Might be another ho-hum trade deadline.  Mike Conley seems like the biggest name player that might be moved.
People are sleeping on the Conley to the Jazz possibility. Conley would be such a huge upgrade on Rubio, and that team is pretty good already. 

The Lakers showed signs of being a dominant team when everyone was healthy. The reason the team isn’t top 3 in the conference is that LeBron and Rondo have each missed 18 games, Ingram 7, Lonzo 6 and counting, Kuzma 4.
will be interesting when all are healthy then. I did think the Lakers in the last 1/3 of the season last year really looked like they were coming together. comparing to this year, they seem much more fractured. I have only seen 2-3 games, but the recent one against Philly it seemed that Luke had no control over the team and they had more turnovers than made shots in the 1st quarter

will be interesting when all are healthy then. I did think the Lakers in the last 1/3 of the season last year really looked like they were coming together. comparing to this year, they seem much more fractured. I have only seen 2-3 games, but the recent one against Philly it seemed that Luke had no control over the team and they had more turnovers than made shots in the 1st quarter
Did you go on to watch the second quarter? Showed the team's potential, and that was without LeBron and Kuzma.

If the Lakers were willing to give up 3 firsts, and the Suns were willing to take Ball for Bridges, and I could find another taker for Ingram, I think I'd do it if I were NO. You'd have a ton of cap space, and (ideally) post-Lebron era picks to play with. The downside is that you need to flip Ball, and Ingram blows.

It sounds like the Celtics would offer Tatum, and they have picks this year, but only the Sacramento one and the Clippers one get you in the Zion lottery, and barely at that. You could get Rozier too, I guess. It's wild that Ainge is willing to gamble on Davis staying.
I'd rather have the Knicks draft package (Zion?+DAL picks (Unicorn could be injury prone) then anything else really.

None, LBJ talk.

How has Jahlil Okafur looked on the defensive end? Offense was never a doubt, but if he's improved to just below average on D he's a legit player.

John Wall will be out of the NBA for at least 12 months with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Marc J. Spears‏Verified account @MarcJSpearsESPN 8m8 minutes ago

Wizards say guard John Wall will have surgery to repair a ruptured left Achilles tendon and is expected to return in a year. Wall had developed an infection in the incision from initial surgery on Jan. 8 and he suffered the rupture after slipping and falling in his home.

Wizards have to blow it up, right?  Or at least move Porter if not Beal. This group is 10 games under .500 as it is, and if they re-sign Morris and Satoransky in an attempt to stay competitive, they will probably be paying the luxury tax for a 34 win team next year. 

Now that Lonzo is on the trade block I guess the gag order on his dad has been lifted.

also pretty cool that a point guard shooting 41% from the free throw line is trying to make trade demands. 
Thank God. Free Lavar:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819421-lavar-ball-rips-worst-coach-luke-walton-anthony-davis-as-he-eyes-lonzo-trade

I mean which team would not want to bring in anybody affiliated with this family? you do get headlines......

ETA: small preview:

"Luke Walton was the worst coach he ever had. It was Magic [Johnson] who said he was going to be the dang face of the franchise. But Magic ain't doing no coaching. And the only person to kill Lonzo is the coach pulling him out and not having no confidence in him. Everyone who's had confidence in Lonzo just let him go and let him win. That's what he does. He wins. Luke Walton turned him into a loser. A loser's mentality is like, 'Oh, he's young, he'll get it.' Instead of just letting him go out there and do what he does."

"The Lakers gave my boy that losing attitude," LaVar added.

He continued: "I tell you what: Lonzo makes everybody better. That's what he's always did all his life. You don't even hear of [Kyle] Kuzma if Lonzo don't make him in the Las Vegas Summer League. You see every time Kuzma plays by himself? [Josh] Hart, [Brandon] Ingram by himself? They don't get nothing. They look raggedy."

Davis didn't escape Ball's wrath either.

"AD is good!" Ball said. "But he's not a winner. How many playoff games has he won? He's been in the league a long time, there's a difference between players and winners."

No surprise...

The Lakers have “pulled out” of any more conversations in trying to acquire New Orleans All-Star Anthony Davis because of the Pelican’s “outrageous” trade requests, according to a person with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly.

Magic Johnson, the Lakers president of basketball operations, told New Orleans general manager Dell Demps Tuesday morning that Los Angeles had made its best offer that the Pelicans had wanted, but that the Lakers were not willing to add anything else and would be moving on, a person said.

The Lakers were not going to give the Pelicans the six to eight draft picks they wanted for Davis, the person said, knowing that the four first-round picks and second-round picks were more than the Lakers would offer.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-anthony-davis-trade-talks-20190205-story.html

interesting things being floated out there now

1. Apparently the Knicks wanted to get Donovan Mitchell or De'Aaron Fox before settling for Smith with Dallas. KP on Sac or Utah would have been interesting.

2. Toronto offering Lowry for Gasul and Connelly. man they seem to be trying to trade Lowry a lot. would be an interesting return.

2. Toronto offering Lowry for Gasul and Connelly. man they seem to be trying to trade Lowry a lot. would be an interesting return.

The Grizzlies reportedly reached out to the Raptors with an offer of Mike Conley and Marc Gasol for Kyle Lowry and Jonas Valanciunas.

The Grizzlies initiated this offer in an attempt to gauge the market for their players, but talks reportedly did not go far here. Most notably, Memphis has engaged with the Utah and Detroit regarding Conley, with the Jazz offering a combo of Ricky Rubio and Derrick Favors and the Pistons building their package around Reggie Jackson and draft compensation. Utah's offer seems to be the most serious one, but the Grizzlies are still evaluating their options as the deadline approaches.

If the Pelicans come back to the Lakers with a counter offer Thursday morning, they'd have played this with the Lakers the best they could.  It just seems likely they don't want to move him until the offseason.

I love Magic threatening to break off talks if the Pelicans don’t show a willingness to engage in trade talks with LA.

Hey Magic: you have zero leverage here. 

I love Magic threatening to break off talks if the Pelicans don’t show a willingness to engage in trade talks with LA.

Hey Magic: you have zero leverage here. 
:confused:

Seems like they had trade talks, so the engage thing already happened. Magic found their counter offer unreasonable, so he's done talking for now. Seems like a pretty standard negotiation.

Seems like they had trade talks, so the engage thing already happened. Magic found their counter offer unreasonable, so he's done talking for now. Seems like a pretty standard negotiation.
maybe, but what is Magic going to do? i mean Paul and Lebron really put the Lakers on the spot here by making this public declaration with AD. if they don't get AD now, i would think the chance of them getting him after the season are less than 50%. if AD doesn't go to LA now, will they still be able to sign a top free agent? i don't know if Kyrie or anyone would be jumping through hoops to go sign with LA seeing how they look now, particularly if the Knicks sign Durant which it would seem they likely are considering the moves they are making. 

and at some point will Lebron start complaining about the team and the org. if they don't bring anyone else on? i don;t know what kind of deals were made when Lebron decided to sign there, but i would imagine Magic told him they are going to bring in more help. If he didn't do it last summer with PG or Kawhi, and can't do it now with Lebron, you have to think his patience is going to wear thin soon. I mean he is already taking off nights against tough teams for load management, you would have to think it can get potentially worse if they are unable to bring any additional help in now. 

I don't know, but i would think Magic is just playing them back. the whole org. has to feel some sort of pressure. Lebron brought the headlines and energy back to the Lakers, but if nothing happens here you have to wonder if they can make the playoffs, and will Lebron give it his all to finish the year for potentially the 7th or 8th seed to face the Warriors or Nuggets 1st round. 

Of course i am saying this also holding a bunch of Lakers under win for the seasons plays, and knowing if AD goes there Lebron certainly will be playing and those bets could be in rough shape. So what do i know  :shrug:

Did they even make a counter offer?   Regardless, Magic's stubbornness cost them Kawhi last time around.  He might get one of LBJ's buddies to 'do him a solid' and buy out a vet but nobody is going to do him any favors in acquiring a top 5 player.

Yep.  #### these reported offers.  Keep the young core, go into the summer and use the max slot they'll have on either Kawhi or Kemba or Kyrie or Klay or KD.

Much rather run out there with LeBron, Kawhi, and the rest of the 2018 Lakers than LeBron, AD, and dumpster fire trash.  

Did they even make a counter offer?   Regardless, Magic's stubbornness cost them Kawhi last time around.  He might get one of LBJ's buddies to 'do him a solid' and buy out a vet but nobody is going to do him any favors in acquiring a top 5 player.
That's what's implied in the quote above. Seems like the Lakers made their offer and the Pelicans said something like we want that plus 4 more picks.

I think he and Pelinka are playing things the right way, being patient, holding on to their cap space.

That core is dog piss.
Dog piss?  Go and look at Kuzmas stats this season next to Tatums.  Go and look at Ingrams stats versus Tatums this season.  All three players have very comparable stats.  I get that there are a lot of people in this thread that hate the Lakers--but acting like their assets are complete garbage is intellectually dishonest. That doesn't even take into account Zubac--who is one of the nicer young bigs in the game.  

Dog piss?  Go and look at Kuzmas stats this season next to Tatums.  Go and look at Ingrams stats versus Tatums this season.  All three players have very comparable stats.  I get that there are a lot of people in this thread that hate the Lakers--but acting like their assets are complete garbage is intellectually dishonest. That doesn't even take into account Zubac--who is one of the nicer young bigs in the game.  
please include Embiid and Ben Simmons in any future reference of young up and coming players  :bowtie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread