What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a (bordering on former) Wolves fan, watching that eight times in a row legit makes me want to punch a wall.  Towns and Gibson especially.  Sickening considering the game situation and how long it took the ref to get Jokic the ball. Might be time to just fold the franchise.
Isn’t that on Wiggins, Deng and/or Bayless?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t that on Wiggins, Deng and/or Bayless?
It’s on all of them, and I’m sure it's mostly on the top guard (Baylee’s here).  But #### if Towns and Gibson aren’t just out for a stroll shooting the ####.  

Fultz is due $10/12/16M over the next three years and can't even play basketball for some nebulous reason. If he's not a negative asset already he will be soon.

Conley is overpaid at $30.5/32.5/34.5M but he should still net a decent player + a middling first-round pick (looks like Utah and Detroit are offering something like this). You have Memphis getting a crappy player and the pick is going in the wrong direction  :shrug:
Points granted. My thinking was that memphis sheds approx 50% of salary spend over three years. They get a player that might need a change of scenery and could pan out which is worth it since they arent a FA destination.  I did err in seeing their pick status.  I thought Memphis had commitments to send out two of their next 3 firsts so sending the 2023 wasnt a big deal.  My bad  

Abraham said:
Points granted. My thinking was that memphis sheds approx 50% of salary spend over three years. They get a player that might need a change of scenery and could pan out which is worth it since they arent a FA destination.  I did err in seeing their pick status.  I thought Memphis had commitments to send out two of their next 3 firsts so sending the 2023 wasnt a big deal.  My bad  
FWIW, here was the Conley deal on Dunc'd On mock trade deadline.

Conley to Utah for Rubio, Exum, Grayson Allen, 2019 top 4 protected first rounder

bananafish said:
Fultz is due $10/12/16M over the next three years and can't even play basketball for some nebulous reason. If he's not a negative asset already he will be soon.

Conley is overpaid at $30.5/32.5/34.5M but he should still net a decent player + a middling first-round pick (looks like Utah and Detroit are offering something like this). You have Memphis getting a crappy player and the pick is going in the wrong direction  :shrug:
Fultz was playing good defense when he was still on the court, something i know most don't care about. Fultz is also still the youngest player to have a triple double, and has played very little so far (less wear and tear on the body). Still a huge unknown, but a team who doesn't expect to be competitive this year or next would be smart to take a chance on him. Virtually everybody had him as 1.01 that draft

That may all be true (I have nothing against the kid and drafted him in fantasy), but no team is going to give up much value for him now; there's just too much uncertainty and he makes too much guaranteed money. A trade for Dewayne Dedmon from the Hawks was rumored a few days ago which seems about right, but if that's all they're going to get the Sixers might just decide to keep him instead of selling low. The problem with low-valued assets, though, is they can always go lower. And they supposedly want to win now so Fultz has them in a pickle. 

I have a feeling that they are overvaluing him due to where he was drafted, and you might be having the same issue. At this point his draft position is irrelevant and is unrecoverable sunk cost. If the 2017 draft were held again today where do you think he would go? Late first? Mid-second? Is he drafted at all? Admitting that may be embarrassing and a tough pill to swallow for Philly, but they'd be better off assessing his value today, not what it was or should've been (obviously).

You're right in that he has the potential to be a star one day and other teams might be getting a steal, but every day that goes by his potential moves further away from the present-day column and closer to past tense.  I think he got a tough shake of things and would be happy to see him become an All-Star, but the chances of that occurring have to be well below 50%. Heck, I'd say his chances of becoming a decent NBA rotation player are less than 50/50 at this point. Josh Gordon had loads of potential, too, and today he's watching the Super Bowl from a rehab center, out of football.

I know you like to harp on Boston so maybe you'll like this: I think they're in a similar situation with Hayward. Yes, he was the jewel of free agency two years ago and it wasn't foolish to give him the max, but they'd be fools to think he's anything other than a negative asset now. Of course, like Fultz, he still has potential. But every day that potential gets dimmer.
Brand can move him and blame it on that #### colangelo.

you are definitely right, but in the end, I think that getting some vet with a low marginal benefit is just not worth the chance of fultz’s ceiling.  But it sounds like they are definitely shopping him, so maybe they are just done.  

@thecatch What are the Kings going to do with their $11 million in cap space? They should use it this week either on a player they want or to get pick compensation by facilitating a trade for another team.  Interesting team to talk about that isn’t getting much press.

@thecatch What are the Kings going to do with their $11 million in cap space? They should use it this week either on a player they want or to get pick compensation by facilitating a trade for another team.  Interesting team to talk about that isn’t getting much press.
You’re right, but it sounds to me like they’ve been a little too precious with the cap space. They’re trying to get a good first round pick for taking on bad deal, or get a player like Otto Porter in a salary dump who solves a long term need. They certainly have the opportunity to be a player at the deadline, but I’m skeptical of their ability to actually get anything done. 

Sixers are supposed to be active at the deadline.  I read a rumor that they are interest in Mirotic, which makes sense.  However, how can they fit him under cap rules without trading Fultz?

Sixers are supposed to be active at the deadline.  I read a rumor that they are interest in Mirotic, which makes sense.  However, how can they fit him under cap rules without trading Fultz?
trade wilson chandler

OR

some combination of

Muscala (5)

Patton (2.6667)

Kork (1.74)

Amir Johnson (2.4)

Trade Exception (2.526)

It’s very difficult to play 4 on 5 offensively in the NBA.  The slack that Fultz allows the defense to have bogs down the entirety of the rest of the offense.  
He was able to drive and hit some shots. Overall still better than TJ running the second unit. 

If they want to win this year, trade picks for Mirotic. Second unit options of a healthy Fultz and Zaire smith; muscala; shamet; brewer; chandler and change is nice energy. 

You’re right, but it sounds to me like they’ve been a little too precious with the cap space. They’re trying to get a good first round pick for taking on bad deal, or get a player like Otto Porter in a salary dump who solves a long term need. They certainly have the opportunity to be a player at the deadline, but I’m skeptical of their ability to actually get anything done. 
Wesley Mathews is available for Zach Randolph’s corpse and a 2nd rounder!

Sixers need the opposite of a big move. Another hi-profile ball talent will interfere with their already poorly-tended spacing. They need someone who can meet the ball up top and get out of the way on offense. It would be nice if they could pot a trey now & then, but another ball-dominant will only add to the mess. The Clips have two guys - Pat Beverly & Avery Bradley - who could do that and be had for a song. And they could probably get another guy from a crowded guard rotation, Gary Harris, for little more than Fultz or Zhaire Smith

Sixers need the opposite of a big move. Another hi-profile ball talent will interfere with their already poorly-tended spacing. They need someone who can meet the ball up top and get out of the way on offense. It would be nice if they could pot a trey now & then, but another ball-dominant will only add to the mess. The Clips have two guys - Pat Beverly & Avery Bradley - who could do that and be had for a song. And they could probably get another guy from a crowded guard rotation, Gary Harris, for little more than Fultz or Zhaire Smith
Could see Beverly or Bradley being had for cheap. Either would provide sone much needed depth.  

Gary Harris would cost plenty more than Fultz or Smith. He’s battled injuries, but he’s been one of the most efficient scoring 2-guards in the league on top of being a plus defender. No chance Denver moves him for anything based around Fultz or Smith.

Could see Beverly or Bradley being had for cheap. Either would provide sone much needed depth.  

Gary Harris would cost plenty more than Fultz or Smith. He’s battled injuries, but he’s been one of the most efficient scoring 2-guards in the league on top of being a plus defender. No chance Denver moves him for anything based around Fultz or Smith.
Don't really care because coach would screw it up anyway. His answer to every strategic element is to add a EuroSlo™. But Muscala as a pick & pop, an AB type & a little more athleticism on their bench is really all they need.

I assumed they'd want to keep Chandler.  Much easier if they don't.

(FYI - trade exceptions can't be combined in a trade.)
hmm, i guess there's no finagling to make that work?  neither team is in the tax.

i don't think that they want to trade chandler.  i just think that if they can't get anything else to work, i would like to seem them trade him for an upgrade like Ariza or Mirotic.

hmm, i guess there's no finagling to make that work?  neither team is in the tax.
Well, if multiple players are coming back to the Sixers and one salary is under $2.5 million they might be able to structure it as two separate trades.  But to combine it with Muscala, Patton, etc. to get Mirotic....no.

Well, if multiple players are coming back to the Sixers and one salary is under $2.5 million they might be able to structure it as two separate trades.  But to combine it with Muscala, Patton, etc. to get Mirotic....no.
Right right right, so I guess they could do Amir, Patton and muscala and Be within 125% and then do separate deal for like Darius Miller for the trade exception.  Or Frazier and Jackson.

Now that Lonzo is on the trade block I guess the gag order on his dad has been lifted.

also pretty cool that a point guard shooting 41% from the free throw line is trying to make trade demands. 

Davis listing the clips, knicks, and bucks as three other teams he would sign with, in addition to the Lakers. But the other three really dont have much to offer...
The only real thing the Lakers are offering that I consider valuable is the 1st round pick.

The Clippers can probably give a bunch of garbage and a pick too. 

Then AD and Kawhi can overshadow Lebron's Lakers.... please let it happen.

I see no downside to this!

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Pels are waiting on Lakers to overwhelm them w/ an historic haul of picks. To Nola, that means Lakers offering 4 first-round and second-round picks as part of a Davis package. Pels want to be compensated - perhaps even overcompensated - to even consider a deal with LA now.

12:02 AM • 2/5/19

AD should have just said nothing and played the contract out.  What the hell is one more year?  Go to the Lakers then or wherever you want.

Instead he may end up with Lebron (year 17), a bare roster and no picks.  Their is definetly a chance things could go sideways. 

Why risk it?

If the Lakers were willing to give up 3 firsts, and the Suns were willing to take Ball for Bridges, and I could find another taker for Ingram, I think I'd do it if I were NO. You'd have a ton of cap space, and (ideally) post-Lebron era picks to play with. The downside is that you need to flip Ball, and Ingram blows.

It sounds like the Celtics would offer Tatum, and they have picks this year, but only the Sacramento one and the Clippers one get you in the Zion lottery, and barely at that. You could get Rozier too, I guess. It's wild that Ainge is willing to gamble on Davis staying.

As a Lakers fan, I wouldn’t give up more than Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma and two 1sts. No Solomon Hill contract back. If that’s not enough, Pels can pound sand. They won’t get any better offer now or in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread