What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the Mavs would offer the max at the first chance. I don’t understand why he needs to posture. It’s strange to me.
Maybe he doesn’t want to be in Dallas.   

@Kev4029 he would play next year on the QO and then be an UFA in 2020 offseason.  There wouldn’t be a chance for Dallas to match.

I probably wouldn’t have done this if I was the Knicks, but they did get a good pu pu platter in essentially 5 first round picks worth of value (Smith, the 2 firsts, and 55 million worth of contracts).  

brother porzingis a PITA too.  you can deal with PITAs, but cant gamble this guy walks.  maybe he just doesn't like NY and losing every year.

I don't remember if KP was a very good defender when he was healthy or not. I know he blocked shots, but is he actually considered good on the defensive end? I believe Luca is considered a defensive liability, no?

point being, they may to need to get some defensive stoppers if they're counting on centering their organization around those two.

I don't remember if KP was a very good defender when he was healthy or not. I know he blocked shots, but is he actually considered good on the defensive end? I believe Luca is considered a defensive liability, no?

point being, they may to need to get some defensive stoppers if they're counting on centering their organization around those two.
He’s a good rim protector, but has problems defending the PnR (ie in space)

on the same hand, Butler and Embiid had pretty bad games. Outside of that 3rd quarter, Embiid may have had his worst game of the year

ETA:

Liberty Ballers✔@Liberty_Ballers

Joel Embiid shot 8-24 from the field and had 8 turnovers.

Jimmy Butler had 7 points on 3-12 from the field.

And the Sixers just beat the Warriors by 9.
THIS MUST MEAN PHILADELPHIA IS THE NBA'S BEST TEAM, RIGHT!??!

He’s a good rim protector, but has problems defending the PnR (ie in space)
That is what I thought. Good block numbers, but not really a good defender outside the paint.

They will have trouble defensively with both of those guys on the floor unless they can really scheme it up and but some great defenders around them.

Maybe he doesn’t want to be in Dallas.   

@Kev4029 he would play next year on the QO and then be an UFA in 2020 offseason.  There wouldn’t be a chance for Dallas to match.

I probably wouldn’t have done this if I was the Knicks, but they did get a good pu pu platter in essentially 5 first round picks worth of value (Smith, the 2 firsts, and 55 million worth of contracts).  
My point was he isn't taking the QO this off-season. The realistic worst case is Dallas is offering a 5 year deal and he doesn't want to sign so he goes and gets a 3 year deal from somebody else and they match this off-season.

THIS MUST MEAN PHILADELPHIA IS THE NBA'S BEST TEAM, RIGHT!??!
if I was a Celtics' fan this is what i would say. What it means is the Sixers played a very good game last night, and showed they can hang with the top of the NBA. What it says is i would bet the Sixers wouldn't get completely swept by the Warriors in the championship. 

As stated on Dunc'd On, yesterday morning Dallas had a rising star to build around in Doncic and a bunch of avenues by which to do so. Now they have essentially eliminated all other options to put all their eggs in the Porzingis basket. A huge gamble on an asset with multiple risks (health, attitude, and probability of re-signing). Part of the calculation has to be the difficulty of luring FAs to Dallas, but it seems too desperate by half.

NYK gets rid of said risky asset, clears a ton of bad salary from their books, gets two first-round picks (2021 is unprotected and is probably lottery), and a decent PG in Dennis Smith, Jr. Now they have cap space to sign two max FA, which may indicate that they already have assurances from one or more FA of their intent to sign.

It may pay off for Dallas but the risk/reward seems way too high, especially given the health of their situation before the trade.

Obviously the initial reaction was to tear into the Knicks, but now that the details are out I don't see how it is anything but a win for them, especially if they've been tipped off to KD's and/or Kyrie's intentions. 
Most national sportswriters either are or have been based in NY and they are so harsh on this because history teaches them that Knickerbocker KD/Kyrie-type dreams have always ended in Butler/Boogie realities.

And Porzingis still is a unicorn. 7'3 may indeed never hold up long-term, but you can't call him an attitude problem for finally being Knicksick after four years of Dolan/Jackson. He has no idea an owner can be like Cuban yet. There are some scheme challenges for Carlisle, but NO competent coach wouldn't love to take on the Twonicorns™

it's funny how Kyrie is taking all of this heat from saying in October he would re-sign and not saying the same thing now. What the heck do you want the guy to say at a pep rally they have? Celtics would be below .500 without Kyrie this year, so not sure why Celtic's faithful want to start hating on the guy and basically encouraging him to leave. funny part too, is don't they think this will scare away other players from coming there like AD? It is good Heyward wanted to go there, but i mean....

Last edited by a moderator:
it's funny how Kyrie is taking all of this heat from saying in October he would re-sign and not saying the same thing now. What the heck do you want the guy to say at a pep rally they have? Celtics would be below .500 without Kyrie this year, so not sure why Celtic's faithful want to start hating on the guy and basically encouraging him to leave. funny part too, is don't they think this will scare away other players from coming there like AD? It is good Heyward wanted to go there, but i mean....
Celtics are 6-2 this year with no Kyrie

Celtics are 6-2 this year with no Kyrie
true, but they have been playing some scrub teams. I just think some parts of the fanbase saw the playoffs last year and think that is the floor for this team. Unfortunately i don't think that is the case. Will be an interesting next few months. 

As a Celtics' fan, if Dany doesn't get AD and Kyrie walks will you consider him a lesser GM? The Horford and Heyward contracts are a bit of an albatross around this team, and in my opinion i think you have to give credit to the Golden Boy Stevens for the success of guys like Baynes and Smart. i think he can keep that up, but it is interesting that it seems he has an inability to work with the superstars in the team (not sure if it was the Open Floor podcast or a few others, but when the C's were doing worse this came up a few times). It will be interesting to see what kind of contracts they want to give Brown and eventually Tatum and how it will all fit. 

Horford contract is an albatross? Huh? Guy has been nothing short of spectacular for the duration of his time in BOS. And you can't blame the Hayward thing on him. Pre injury Hayward was absolutley worth a max deal.

And if you give credit to Stevens (which is probably correctly placed) don't you have to give credit to Ainge for hiring him?

I dunno, Ainge has certainly made some mistakes, but to reboot as quickly and as strongly as BOS did after they traded away Pierce/Garnett/Allen is pretty spectacular.

Horford contract is an albatross? Huh? Guy has been nothing short of spectacular for the duration of his time in BOS. And you can't blame the Hayward thing on him. Pre injury Hayward was absolutley worth a max deal.

And if you give credit to Stevens (which is probably correctly placed) don't you have to give credit to Ainge for hiring him?

I dunno, Ainge has certainly made some mistakes, but to reboot as quickly and as strongly as BOS did after they traded away Pierce/Garnett/Allen is pretty spectacular.
well the absolute robbery of Billy King has a ton to do with that. Ainge has done well, but will you not be dissapointed if you have just a mediocre team that is around a 4/5 seed fir the next 4-5 years? If the Knicks can maxmimize the free agents, and Oladipo can recover well from his off-season surgery, Boston may legit be 6-8 seed in the East for years to come.

And i look at a deal like yesterday, i wonder if Boston called the Knicks and tried to pry away Porzingis. Haven't seen him play in a bit, but you would have to think that is one of the ideal guys they could have brought in. The Sixers deal for Jimmy will be undecided until we see what the contract is that he signs, but those kind of deals show the GMs who are willing to take risks. Ainge has always seemed like the kind of guy where if the trade is not obviously in his favor he won't take a chance. i remember the Sixers basically trying to give away Okafor and Noel, and Boston had multiple chances at either for real cheap, and just never pulled the trigger. not saying either is an all-star, but they certainly would help a team in need of a solid center, and not put all of that on Horford

The Sixers deal for Jimmy will be undecided until we see what the contract is that he signs, but those kind of deals show the GMs who are willing to take risks.
What do you mean by this?  Which team he signs with or the money he signs for?

What do you mean by this?  Which team he signs with or the money he signs for?
i'm thinking the money he signs for, and for how long the contract will be. If they give him a max contract it will be a little bit  :scared:  with his past history and trying to figure out how well he fits with the team. I have heard rumblings of a Jimmy Butler for Jrue Holiday trade and some others which could be interesting. 

i'm thinking the money he signs for, and for how long the contract will be. If they give him a max contract it will be a little bit  :scared:  with his past history and trying to figure out how well he fits with the team. I have heard rumblings of a Jimmy Butler for Jrue Holiday trade and some others which could be interesting. 
Jimmy will sign somewhere for the max.  That's my hot take for today.

Jimmy will sign somewhere for the max.  That's my hot take for today.
he might, depends on what he wants with his career. Brown manages his minutes well and treats him a hell of a lot better then Tibs for longevity of his career. He has said he wanted to retire by age 35 or something in the past, so if that is the case you may be right and he may leave for a total max. But i am sure the Sixers and him are discussing now to figure out what makes sense for both. 

Elton Brand is pretty good at that kind of stuff with players. He is still learning, but from all accounts a lot of players respect him quite a bit

Kyrie will change his mind about what to do dozens of more times between now and July 1 and he wont be happy with where he goes about 9-15 months after he goes. The only thing you can predict about Kyrie is he will be grumpy no matter what he chooses. 

Okafor and Noel?

Good good man
could have got either or a bag of peanuts. Noel is doing well defensively in OKC like he has done all year. And Okafor is doing quite well in New Orleans at this time. you don't think you could have got either for a 2nd round pick or something? Certainly neither are going to be superstars in the league at this point, but you don't think either could have helped when the biggest hole in the Celtics has been center position for sometime?

he might, depends on what he wants with his career. Brown manages his minutes well and treats him a hell of a lot better then Tibs for longevity of his career. He has said he wanted to retire by age 35 or something in the past, so if that is the case you may be right and he may leave for a total max. But i am sure the Sixers and him are discussing now to figure out what makes sense for both. 

Elton Brand is pretty good at that kind of stuff with players. He is still learning, but from all accounts a lot of players respect him quite a bit
I don't think you "get" Jimmy yet.  The idea of not being paid the max will be highly insulting.  Also, no GM or coach is going to convince him otherwise.

I don't think you "get" Jimmy yet.  The idea of not being paid the max will be highly insulting.  Also, no GM or coach is going to convince him that otherwise.
maybe. thing about is that the Sixers won't necessarily fold if Jimmy doesn't re-sign. either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out. This is the first time in Jimmy's career he isn't the best player on the team or expected to win a ton of games.  

I'm starting to like the trade for the Knicks. There's a remote chance but they could potentially start: KD, Brow, and Kyrie next year.

1) Flip Lance Thomas non-guaranteed contract for a regular expiring of similar value.

2) Draft Zion or whoever the Pels want

3) Sign KD and Kyrie to MAX deals

4) Trade Zion/Rookie+DSJ+Knox+Nilikita+contract acquired for Thomas+Robinson/Dotson and DAL/NYK draft pick combo for Brow

KD+Brow+Kyrie+ mercenaries is a scary, scary, team.

could have got either or a bag of peanuts. Noel is doing well defensively in OKC like he has done all year. And Okafor is doing quite well in New Orleans at this time. you don't think you could have got either for a 2nd round pick or something? Certainly neither are going to be superstars in the league at this point, but you don't think either could have helped when the biggest hole in the Celtics has been center position for sometime?
Al Horford is the Celtics center. And Baynes is the backup. The center position is not the biggest hole. 

Al Horford is the Celtics center. And Baynes is the backup. The center position is not the biggest hole. 
isn't Horford better off not guarding most of the centers in the league? i thought i have always heard that.

And believe me, i know he is pretty good. I have no idea how, but he covers Embiid very well when they play. 

maybe. thing about is that the Sixers won't necessarily fold if Jimmy doesn't re-sign. either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out. This is the first time in Jimmy's career he isn't the best player on the team or expected to win a ton of games.  
I'm sure Jimmy thinks he's the best player on the team.  We've heard rumors of the dysfunction between the Sixers big three and this shouldn't be surprising.  Jimmy feuded with KAT and had his issues with Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah on the Bulls.  These patterns are repeating over and over.  I know you don't believe me but I think you'll realize this sooner or later. 

Edit:  Jimmy very much has the ego that Michael Jordan and Kobe had.  (He just obviously isn't as good.)

Horford is in somewhat of a tough spot in that he can't really bang with the big centers (thankfully they are uncommon) and he can't chase stretchy fours on the perimeter. 

But he does play a large majority of his minutes at the 5 for he rarely is on the court with Baynes

Horford is in somewhat of a tough spot in that he can't really bang with the big centers (thankfully they are uncommon) and he can't chase stretchy fours on the perimeter. 

But he does play a large majority of his minutes at the 5 for he rarely is on the court with Baynes
 so out of curiosity, you think the Celtics should go afte AD? if so, how much do they give up and what do you think would be too much? killer is that it can't happen until after 7/1, which will cancel out some of the draft capital assets and you have Rozier and Morries as free agents. 

They for sure should go after AD. Horford only has a year left on his deal and it's a player option so he may actually sign elsewhere. Ideally they trade Brown + whatever picks it takes but likely would take Tatum +

Anyway this goes down it is fascinating to watch. Superbowl is in a couple days but all anyone is talking about is Kyrie, AD, and Porzingis

Most national sportswriters either are or have been based in NY and they are so harsh on this because history teaches them that Knickerbocker KD/Kyrie-type dreams have always ended in Butler/Boogie realities.

And Porzingis still is a unicorn. 7'3 may indeed never hold up long-term, but you can't call him an attitude problem for finally being Knicksick after four years of Dolan/Jackson. He has no idea an owner can be like Cuban yet. There are some scheme challenges for Carlisle, but NO competent coach wouldn't love to take on the Twonicorns™
This.  I have to think Cuban and Carlisle are still pinching themselves today.  6 months ago this franchise was essentially unmoored with zero franchise building blocks.  Now they have two absolute anchors who have unique skills and ceilings.  This was a masterstroke.  I think Porzingis falls in love with the Mavs org and playing with Luka, and the Mavs are extremely relevant for the next 5-8 years.  

Brilliant move.  And Dallas is now a top 3-4 league pass team for the foreseeable future.   

Teams like Portland, Indiana, Charlotte, etc...the smaller market teams just have no shot.  It's very hard to be a fan of a team you know just can't compete because the best players won't be an option for your team.  Ever.  I still go to Portland games, but it's less and less every year and I almost never watch them on TV.  What's the point?  Another first round exit is almost a foregone conclusion every year.  I hope Dame gets a chance to play for a megateam at some point.  Good dude, good player.  Not his fault nobody wants to play here.  

Wel, except Evan Turner.   :X

I would bet that kp signs a big deal w dallas. I think this has all been worked out behind the scenes. 

Pelton also liked this trade more for the Knicks. I dont think any of us can properly judge it without knowing if kp and the mavs do actually have a wink wink, or if the knicks have an indication of who is coming.

I would bet that kp signs a big deal w dallas. I think this has all been worked out behind the scenes. 

Pelton also liked this trade more for the Knicks. I dont think any of us can properly judge it without knowing if kp and the mavs do actually have a wink wink, or if the knicks have an indication of who is coming.
Agreed.  If the Knicks get KD and a max sidekick, this deal worked for both teams.  That's a big if though - considering NY's recent struggles in FA.  

That said, I think KD does sign with NY this offseason.  I just wonder if the Knicks wouldn't have been better off keeping KP to pair with KD and Zion.  

As annoying and unlikable as Curry is, it's kinda fun when he's dialed in as long as it's not the Finals.
Maybe it's b/c I'm originally from Curry country, but I don't find him annoying or unlikeable at all.  I love everything about him as a player and person.  He has the perfect amount of swagger and humility.  :shrug:

sure, but i do agree with the take that this gives the knicks a lot more flexibility and kind of locks the mavs into some kind of a path.  if kristaps signs a max deal,  and the mavs are out all these picks, it is going to be tricky to build this team.  if kristaps leaves, well they have nothing and they are out these picks.  if kristaps signs a max deal and gets hurt, then they are really ####ed.

doubt they can be players in FA this year unless they can trade barnes.  i guess their cap sheet is pretty crispy and clean for 20-21, so maybe they have a plan revolving around that.

if i run the Celts, i sit down w Kyrie today and, if i don't like the answer, i leave him in NYC and come home w DSJ, DAJ (Horford's knee is pretty bad & needs rest) & 2 Dalpix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread