What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened?
Warriors/Clippers were tied.  Clippers missed a shot, Green rebounds with 5 seconds left.  Durant is waving his arms and calling for Green to pass him the ball, but Green decides to run the court himself, falls, turns the ball over.  Game goes to OT.  

Green/Durant yelling at each other.

Warriors/Clippers were tied.  Clippers missed a shot, Green rebounds with 5 seconds left.  Durant is waving his arms and calling for Green to pass him the ball, but Green decides to run the court himself, falls, turns the ball over.  Game goes to OT.  

Green/Durant yelling at each other.
Just squawking - that's nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actual fight, the NBA "somebody better hold me back or else" thing, or just squawking?
Sounds like maybe the middle one? 

If it has any relevance at all, which I doubt, it would presumably be as it affects KD's pending free agency rather than this season.

Fight between Draymond and Durant about final play.  Woj is playing it up as "one of most intense of this G-State era."  Being met with a collective shrug.

Strongly disagree. Although to be fair that's probably because it's all I have left.
I guarantee every locker room has drama especially those that aren't freerolling to championships.

Unless we find out Draymond kicked Durant in the nuts, it's two competitive guys arguing, nothing more.  Durant is right to yell at Green on that play and Green is not somebody who is going to reply with "yes sir" when criticized. 

*and yes I understand most fans want every little hope that the Warriors won't stay together for 5 more years

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news.  Don't want anything standing in the way of Butler helping yet another team play as less than the sum of its parts on its way to an earlier than expected playoff exit.
i think from a league perspective, it will be enjoyable to watch. If everything turns out to work great it will be enjoyable to watch. If it goes south, it will probably be more entertaining, because i am positive Embiid, and Simmons too, won't shy away from confronting Jimmy if it gets heated. No matter who came in, the team is Embiid's and Simmons's (likely Embiid if we need one, but both are so key. that injury to Embiid last year where Simmons stepped up in that winning streak was a nice spot for Ben).

I just know it won't be quiet, or things will be swept under the rug if there are issues. Philly sports media won't help either if there is a whisper of discontentment, they will love to stir the pot to get a quote

Ok, last Sixers-centric post from me for awhile (apologies, i know these can be annoying):

1) somehat reliable source, i am guessing there is some truth to it:     

Liberty Ballers✔@Liberty_Ballers

The relationship between Markelle Fultz & Drew Hanlen deteriorated when a member of Fultz’ camp colorfully confronted Hanlen in person about a lack of expected results, sources familiar with the situation have told Liberty Ballers. Hanlen declined to comment on the situation.

2) and further proof that the Jimmy + Sixers relationship will be anything but wonderful success, Sixers team had Jimmy donuts ready for him today to start the press conference. Go team!!    https://twitter.com/darrenrovell?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1062371597565202432&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fphiladelphia-76ers

Seems like the warning signs were there when his team went something like 6-36 in a god awful season for the PAC-10. I don’t want to be all Bill Simmonsy here but I think you want your top pick to win more than 6 games in a train wreck of a conference. 
That's probably overstated in today's game.  Another example - Ben Simmons' LSU team missed the tournament and he looked uninterested a majority of the time (if anything, that's an understatement).  He also seemed suspect on defense.  Despite the obvious issues with his outside shot, Simmons has been a stud on both sides of the court in the NBA without leading his college team to many victories.

This is exactly the thoughts I had about him.  The best defensive team he played was Gonzaga and he didn't do anything in the first half.  His box score looks okay because he scored a bunch of garbage time points already down 20+.

When you think of the perceived value other teams place on a first pick, you better be damn sure your pick is some once in a generation freak athlete.  If you are truly worth a number one pick in the NBA, you should be good enough to beat most college teams by yourself
MMQB pick for Philly is clearly Jason Tatum, but at the time 99% of NBA pundits were saying Fultz was the pick at #1 regardless of which team won the lottery.  The overall universal agreement on that can't be understated.

Also, Washington was a really rough watch during Fultz's season.  They would always play two non-shooting bigs that just mucked up everything on offense and were slow to move on D.  Fultz had to pull some moves out of his backside to facilitate open looks in that scheme (his dribble spins were especially ridiculous).  His effort on defense was garbage, but that's not why his NBA future is so muddled right now.

i think from a league perspective, it will be enjoyable to watch. If everything turns out to work great it will be enjoyable to watch. If it goes south, it will probably be more entertaining, because i am positive Embiid, and Simmons too, won't shy away from confronting Jimmy if it gets heated. No matter who came in, the team is Embiid's and Simmons's (likely Embiid if we need one, but both are so key. that injury to Embiid last year where Simmons stepped up in that winning streak was a nice spot for Ben).

I just know it won't be quiet, or things will be swept under the rug if there are issues. Philly sports media won't help either if there is a whisper of discontentment, they will love to stir the pot to get a quote
I was mostly kidding, I have a long record of being pro-Butler.

It is kind of weird that it keeps happening But I blame Thibs, who has been with him the whole time.

I guarantee every locker room has drama especially those that aren't freerolling to championships.

Unless we find out Draymond kicked Durant in the nuts, it's two competitive guys arguing, nothing more.  Durant is right to yell at Green on that play and Green is not somebody who is going to reply with "yes sir" when criticized. 

*and yes I understand most fans want every little hope that the Warriors won't stay together for 5 more years
Also most NBA fans are messy #####es who live for drama.

That's probably overstated in today's game.  Another example - Ben Simmons' LSU team missed the tournament and he looked uninterested a majority of the time (if anything, that's an understatement).  He also seemed suspect on defense.  Despite the obvious issues with his outside shot, Simmons has been a stud on both sides of the court in the NBA without leading his college team to many victories.

MMQB pick for Philly is clearly Jason Tatum, but at the time 99% of NBA pundits were saying Fultz was the pick at #1 regardless of which team won the lottery.  The overall universal agreement on that can't be understated.

Also, Washington was a really rough watch during Fultz's season.  They would always play two non-shooting bigs that just mucked up everything on offense and were slow to move on D.  Fultz had to pull some moves out of his backside to facilitate open looks in that scheme (his dribble spins were especially ridiculous).  His effort on defense was garbage, but that's not why his NBA future is so muddled right now.
Ben Simmons was also a 6'10" player with decent guard skills and did other things that translate well to NBA success like 11.8 rpg.

Fultz is a 6'4" guard who put ~20 ppg in a conference full of weaker defenses.  Guys like that are a dime a dozen, certainly not athletically or physically gifted enough to warrant a first overall pick.

It goes to show even guys who do this for a career swing and miss, but him being consensus #1 was always bizarre to me 

I don’t watch NCAA for the most part, but I also thought it was weird he was being hailed as a knock down shooter after only hitting 65% from the free throw line (historically a better indicator of shooting ability than his 41% three point percentage). Obviously the shot fell apart far beyond what that percentage would portend, but I thought it was odd at the time that everyone assumed he’d be a reliable outside threat right away. 

Shams Charania‏ @ShamsCharania

After the Golden State Warriors reviewed comments made in heated moments last night, Green is expected to sit tonight against the Atlanta Hawks to cool off.

Shams Charania‏ @ShamsCharania

After the Golden State Warriors reviewed comments made in heated moments last night, Green is expected to sit tonight against the Atlanta Hawks to cool off.
Woj adds that this is an unpaid suspension.

Great post.  Hate how people love to make hindsight comments saying how Fultz had red flags and was never worth the #1 pick, etc.  Most NBA scouts, executives, etc. all were very high on him.  Should we have traded up?  Probably not.  But he looked like a great fit for our offense and he had drastically improved every year through high school and was flying up mock drafts everywhere until he landed at #1 on pretty much every one you could find. 

He sucks now, I get it.  We hit on Embiid and Ben who also had huge red flags, and if they were sucking right now, everyone would be pointing those red flags out saying it was a stupid pick.  Seems like he is likely past turning it around though... not sure what happened.  But it's winning time now and time to get Jimmy and JJ into the lineup and see if Fultz develops and turns it around in more limited minutes and in practice.

Great post.  Hate how people love to make hindsight comments saying how Fultz had red flags and was never worth the #1 pick, etc.  Most NBA scouts, executives, etc. all were very high on him.  Should we have traded up?  Probably not.  But he looked like a great fit for our offense and he had drastically improved every year through high school and was flying up mock drafts everywhere until he landed at #1 on pretty much every one you could find. 

He sucks now, I get it.  We hit on Embiid and Ben who also had huge red flags, and if they were sucking right now, everyone would be pointing those red flags out saying it was a stupid pick.  Seems like he is likely past turning it around though... not sure what happened.  But it's winning time now and time to get Jimmy and JJ into the lineup and see if Fultz develops and turns it around in more limited minutes and in practice.
Why don't you guys just send him to the G league and let him work it out?  It's not like you need him right now.  

I was mostly kidding, I have a long record of being pro-Butler.

It is kind of weird that it keeps happening But I blame Thibs, who has been with him the whole time.
Why do you blame Thibs?  

Butler had a couple years with Hoiberg which didn’t go well chemistry-wise.

I actually think Thibs has mostly been good for Butler. Jimmy respects how hard Thibs works and how prepared he is. (Thibs doesn’t have other interests or a wife or kids and spends basically all his time with basketball.)  

So far I hear Butler wants to win and is intense on the court with his teammates. I honestly didn't know who the guy was until about two years ago. Does he take plays off? Does he quit on his team? What does he do to get the rep? Just curious.

If he gives 110% in Philly and is scoring points and winning games, I can't see how fans won't love him here.

Pretty sure the Warriors are going to be just fine. 

That is until next year when Mo Bamba and Zion Williamson visit in June. 

Lakers fans,

What is the plan this off-season? We can't be wasting any more prime LeBron years.

bananafish said:
I think they're both right. Durant could have made this easy and said how much he likes playing for the Warriors and with his teammates and yada yada yada to quelch the free agency buzzards (like Klay and Dray have done), but there's a part of him that wants to be courted and feel loved so he says he wants to "keep his options open". I think to the rest of the all-stars this is a little bit insulting after they went out of their way to woo him and share the spotlight to make him feel comfortable. Who wouldn't want to stay with this team, with this culture, and win 2-3 more titles and go down as possibly the greatest team in basketball history? 

To Draymond Green, a #####, that's who.

But he shouldn't have said it on the court in front of cameras for all the world to see. It was a petty, biting retort to a legitimate beef that he foolishly didn't give up the ball to the greatest offensive threat on the court with six seconds left. After the infamous nut brush/suspension I think Draymond is particularly sensitive to charges that he let the team down so he reacted defensively and over-the-top. So they're both right and both wrong.

I'm the biggest Draymond fan around and I really hope he can see the bigger picture, swallow some pride and clear his side of the street because Durant's not going to do it. But as big of a fan as I am I don't know that he has the emotional maturity and humility to accept his role as the instigator in all this, especially after he was suspended by the team. He's really good at playing the victim and it'll be hard to get his head out of that mentality long enough to shoulder his part of the blame. I think the legs of this story depend on how he reacts but I'm 50/50 on whether his ego will let him be the bigger man and apologize.

IMO none of this happens if Steph, their emotional keel, was there to keep things light and joyous. If he, who sacrificed more than anyone else to bring Durant into the fold, can accept Durant's pending free agency with a shrug then who is Draymond to start farting up the room? Supposedly Steph went to Draymond's house yesterday to hash things out. I think we'll know for sure how big of a deal this is when he returns (hopefully Saturday).

There's a reason most great teams splinter apart but if there's a culture and coach that can overcome the disease of me I think it's the Warriors, Myers, and Kerr. I don't think there's any doubt that their greatest threat to their dynasty prospects lies within their own locker room and not the one across the arena. If they can't mitigate this then I don't think it was possible to do so. We shall see.
It was a good run.

Yikes.  Apparently Dray called KD a B*tch and also made comments to his face about KD's free agency. 
everyone says Durant is the sensitive one but Draymond goes nuclear option at the slightest hint of what could maybe be perceived as a possible slight..  which is probably not even a slight, he's just so sensitive that he thinks everyone is attacking him all the time.

Keep milking it.
was crazy when Lakers snuck by Kings and Hawks and the sports media was hyping how Lakers are ready now and putting them as 3rd or 4th seed in the West. Crazy talk. Not saying it isn't possible, but to go from the reporting a week earlier to top 3 or 4 was just nutty. 24-hour sports news is almost as bad as 24-hour news channels

was crazy when Lakers snuck by Kings and Hawks and the sports media was hyping how Lakers are ready now and putting them as 3rd or 4th seed in the West. Crazy talk. Not saying it isn't possible, but to go from the reporting a week earlier to top 3 or 4 was just nutty. 24-hour sports news is almost as bad as 24-hour news channels
They don't care about being right. They just care that you are talking about it. This team was always going to be bad right now. There will probably be a mini spike sometime in the next few weeks. Followed by something worse shortly before the trade deadline. Maybe then they will start to find their footing, but prior? Nope.

New look Wolves up big over NO early in the second. I know its waaaaay early but they look completely different/energized. 

A wing that can defend and shoot the three?! Don’t remember the last time we had one that could do either.

It’s like angels singing.
Covington is another good but not great player. As long as you don't have expect him to be an all star, he won't let you down.

And JJ steps out of bounds on a game tying 3. So much for the Butler debut. Sixers really need to figure out this road thing. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread