What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Headphone Draft And Why? (1 Viewer)

audio-technica ath m50x

I bought them based on reviews and pricetag. They are on the bulky side, but the sound is fantastic imo. 

Still going with with with Grado Studio s60 sr 60e for sound at price point. Nothing Better.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Cans: Status HD One

Why: Because they messed up my GB's order and sent him two pair.  When he told them, they said to keep both give the extra set to a friend; so he did.   They sound great to me.

ETA:  I do want to get a high impedance set of cans to take full advantage of the quad-DAC in my phone, but I like free for now. 

I listen with IEMs a lot more than full size headphones these days.  They provide better isolation and comfort with the trade-off of inferior soundstage.  

1MORE Triple Drivers are the best all-around IEMs I own.  They combine two balanced armatures with a dynamic driver in a tiny comfortable package.  A lot of hybrid designs loop the cables around the ear which impacts the fit for glasses wearers; the 1MOREs have a cable that runs straight down.

The sound signature of the 1MOREs is a little bit on the bassy side which suits the music I listen to most of the time.

audio-technica ath m50x

I bought them based on reviews and pricetag. They are on the bulky side, but the sound is fantastic imo. 
When I researched headphones, those are the ones I decided I should get. I haven't ordered yet but I'm glad to hear from an actual owner here.

ETA: In case anyone hasn't come across it, they've got a great headphone review/rating system over at https://www.rtings.com/headphones

I go Bose. My snobby earphone friend says they are for old business guy traveller - but that’s who I am :lol:

Have the latest wireless over the ear sound cancelling ones.

Also have the workout wireless sport ones for walking around. The sound cancelling ones are too big and and I don’t like not hearing anything when walking around.

I go Bose. My snobby earphone friend says they are for old business guy traveller - but that’s who I am :lol:

Also have the workout wireless sport ones for walking around. The sound cancelling ones are too big and and I don’t like not hearing anything when walking around.
Bose does have great noise canceling.  I use those on flights and other trips.  I don't have the wireless version, so I use Skullcandy Crushers for daily commute.  Sound isn't great, but it has a really long battery life. 

I listen with IEMs a lot more than full size headphones these days.  They provide better isolation and comfort with the trade-off of inferior soundstage.  

1MORE Triple Drivers are the best all-around IEMs I own.  They combine two balanced armatures with a dynamic driver in a tiny comfortable package.  A lot of hybrid designs loop the cables around the ear which impacts the fit for glasses wearers; the 1MOREs have a cable that runs straight down.

The sound signature of the 1MOREs is a little bit on the bassy side which suits the music I listen to most of the time.
Thank you. My mind is so preoccupied with something I was a little pissed at you in the other thread because your advice was compelling but cryptic. I just wanted you to say get these. If I can find those I will try them. I don't do well with IEMs. They seem to aggravate tinnitus or fail to mask it like open back over the ear phones do.

Speaking of them this is a great deal. Audiophile quality. Clairo y Cucos drop from yesterday sounding sweet. I have a pair of closed back Sennies of similar quality for when people are around. The open back sound stage is probably what I seek the most. "Where's the live band? I hear it but cannot see it."

Honorable mention to these Sennheiser HD-435 headphones that I've had for going on 40 years.  I distinctly remember wearing them when I traveled from Wisconsin to SF in 1982. 

I've had to replace the foams a few time but otherwise their all-plastic design is pretty much indestructible.  They spent some time in storage box and my kids used them for a while but they survive to hold a place of honor in the bedroom when I don't have a set of IEMs handy.

Still going with with with Grado Studio s60 sr 60e for sound at price point. Nothing Better.  
I've been rocking a pair of SR60e for about a decade now.   Love em. 

Others I have and like:
AKG K550

I caught a crazy sale on these (I think they were $45?) , these are pretty darn solid:
California Silverados

And, I generally don't like ear buds very much, but the default AKGs that came with my newest phone (S8+) are pretty sweet.  
There's a lot of them supposedly for sale now , but also a lot of bad feedback that the ones people are selling as the same model are not actually the same as what shipped with the phone. 

Also, for a pair of blootoofs sweaty / beater / workout / lawnmowers , these Ankers are decent for $30.   Not great, but they hold a charge for several hours and sound is good enough. 

The amount of hate Bose gets is pretty amazing.   They've overpriced, but they still make good stuff.

You're just paying for a lot of their advertising.  Like Dyson with vacuums.   

The amount of hate Bose gets is pretty amazing.   They've overpriced, but they still make good stuff.

You're just paying for a lot of their advertising.  Like Dyson with vacuums.   
I have a huge head and huger ears. Senny and Bose fit the most comfortably. I don't hate the Bose but I have a better option. I do not own wireless cans but I think it's time.

Thank you. My mind is so preoccupied with something I was a little pissed at you in the other thread because your advice was compelling but cryptic. I just wanted you to say get these. If I can find those I will try them. I don't do well with IEMs. They seem to aggravate tinnitus or fail to mask it like open back over the ear phones do.
The 1MOREs are a lot more expensive than the Chi-Fi ones I touted in the other thread.  These go for about $100 nowadays (I think I paid $70) which is about 4x-5x what a pair of KZ ZS5 or ZSA would set you back on AliExpress.  The KZs have comparable sound quality with a slightly more trebly signature.  The big difference for me is the straight cables of the 1MORE are more comfortable.

If I'd bought the ZS5 first, I probably never would have spent the money on the 1MOREs.  The higher priced 1MOREs are packaged for Western consumers.  It has a nice leather case and a whole bunch of different ear tips.  I love 'em but the KZs are much better from a price/performance standpoint.

I've been rocking a pair of SR60e for about a decade now.   Love em. 

Others I have and like:
AKG K550

I caught a crazy sale on these (I think they were $45?) , these are pretty darn solid:
California Silverados

And, I generally don't like ear buds very much, but the default AKGs that came with my newest phone (S8+) are pretty sweet.  
There's a lot of them supposedly for sale now , but also a lot of bad feedback that the ones people are selling as the same model are not actually the same as what shipped with the phone. 

Also, for a pair of blootoofs sweaty / beater / workout / lawnmowers , these Ankers are decent for $30.   Not great, but they hold a charge for several hours and sound is good enough. 
Do the Grados really leak that much sound?

it's certainly a valid complaint.  They're the only pair of open-ears that I've liked enough to keep for a long time, so I'm not sure I have a good baseline to compare them to.  But yes, they can be noisy for other nearby.

To answer the question, mine were maybe just a little more leaky than other open backs I've used. They're all an issue if being quiet is important but the sound stage is worth it. This won't be popular, but I had the SR80es. They were not comfortable. The pads were cheap. The hardware was cheaper. They are fragile and do not stand up to me tossing things around sometimes. They sounded very good, but not nearly as good as the Sennies linked above for +$50. 

I have a huge head and huger ears. Senny and Bose fit the most comfortably. I don't hate the Bose but I have a better option. I do not own wireless cans but I think it's time.
Wireless is the way to go. Didn’t think it would be a big deal but very nice not having that cable catch on everything, getting tangled, getting caught and ripping out, etc.

I now rock a wireless pair of Sennheiser HD! M2 OEBT and love them.  But I may have skipped my place in the draft 

How's battery life?
Have a couple pairs. Bigger over ear type lasts 20 hours according to Bose. I’m not sure it’s that long but definitely lasts flight from Seattle to Europe on one charge.

The smaller ones probably last 8 hours or so. 

Just like anything with that needs to charge you adapt and make sure it’s plugged in before you know you are going to need them.

When I researched headphones, those are the ones I decided I should get. I haven't ordered yet but I'm glad to hear from an actual owner here.

ETA: In case anyone hasn't come across it, they've got a great headphone review/rating system over at https://www.rtings.com/headphones
Yep, can confirm as well. Very good headphones. I'll say my only complaint and the main reason why I do not use them as much as I used to, they (for me at least) were very tight on my head. Adjusting them didn't help, they just kind crushed my ears a bit and made me sweaty wearing them. Could only use them for short amounts of time.

I've been using these as on-ear ANC to avoid the real clunky look and feel of the over ear:

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Cancelling-Bluetooth-Headphone-04092138/dp/B07BB4QFY2
I've had mixed results with on-ear designs.  The old plastic Sennheisers I posted earlier are comfortable but I feel like I'm losing bass due to lack of seal.  I have this model of Harman Kardon on-ears but never bonded with them.  The designers solved the sealing problem by increasing pressure on the ear pads which wears out my head after a while. 

I'm a guy who spends too much time with IEMs plugged in his ear canals so I have a strange perspective on what's comfortable but I couldn't wear the HKs for more than an hour at a stretch.

I've had mixed results with on-ear designs.  The old plastic Sennheisers I posted earlier are comfortable but I feel like I'm losing bass due to lack of seal.  I have this model of Harman Kardon on-ears but never bonded with them.  The designers solved the sealing problem by increasing pressure on the ear pads which wears out my head after a while. 

I'm a guy who spends too much time with IEMs plugged in his ear canals so I have a strange perspective on what's comfortable but I couldn't wear the HKs for more than an hour at a stretch.
I wear glasses. Over-ear becomes really uncomfortable really quickly. There isn't a ton of on ear anc out there. I'm sure more noise leaks in than an over ear design, but I don't have glasses lines across my temples.

I have these exact HKs as well.   Sound is decent but they are not very comfortable.  These are a "####, left the headphones I'd rather be using somewhere else" pair.  

@mr. furley

Just picked up my third pair of Bose while on vacation. Went wireless this time because of the stupid lightening connector situation. They do a buyback deal which helps take the bite out of the ridiculous price. 
The buyback thing no longer exists.  I checked their forum and there was also a reddit post where people went on about it.  Seems it was nixxed about a year ago. 

Just picked up my third pair of Bose while on vacation. Went wireless this time because of the stupid lightening connector situation. They do a buyback deal which helps take the bite out of the ridiculous price. 
The buyback thing no longer exists.  I checked their forum and there was also a reddit post where people went on about it.  Seems it was nixxed about a year ago. 

This seems as good a place to take this tangent as anywhere else. 

Anybody using a mini tube amp?    I have a Bravo v1.  Never used another one, so not a lot to compare it to, but I like this thing.  

Users who are viewing this thread