What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (8 Viewers)

I didn't make an accusation.  You asked me a question about my opinion, and I answered honestly.  If you don't want an honest answer, don't ask the question.

And I carefully avoided levying that charge against specific posters, or even the majority of them. In fact I said the opposite.

This is now twice today that you've mischaracterized my posts in a way that seems designed to make me look bad. You know I'm a fan of your work and the community you've helped build, but it's hard not to take that personally. If you want me to leave, just ask me.
You absolutely made an accusation.

You said

I mean that there's a microscope on AOC because conservative news knows their viewers/readers love to hate on young women of color.
I asked you 

1. Do you think conservatives here on this forum "love to hate on young women of color."?
You answered:

Some of them, probably.
You can try to spin that however you like but those are your words not mine. I'm not mischaracterizing anything. 

And I'm definitely saying that to you personally. I'm not asking you to leave but I hate to see you make those kinds of statements when your back up for an accusation that strong is something as flimsy as "well they voted for Trump".

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not unfair at all. She brought this on and people will be critical of her using the term concentration camps because when people hear that phrase they think of Nazi Germany.
I think of the South Park episode where the kids are sent to a camp for their ADD so that they can learn to concentrate.

Whoops, memory failed.  That was not an ADD episode but a bad joke made by Cartman about Kyle's cousin not being able to concentrate in class. Cartman suggested he be sent to a concentration camp.  There is nothing beyond the pale for Cartman.

The biggest flaw in what AOC said isn't rooted in the fact that the US isn't treating the migrants like the Germans treated Jews (you know by killing them in gas chambers), its from the fact that the migrants aren't being brought here by their captors. They're coming in mass, system-overwhelming numbers on their own free will.

Were you outraged when people died in detention centers prior to Trump ?
"Before December 2018, no children had died in CBP custody in a decade." link

Don't try to turn this around. Trump supporters are the ones who seem not to care that KIDS were psychologically tortured and are dying NOW, as a direct result of the policies of an administration that they elected and support. Once you speak out and take action to stop that, I'll be happy to discuss what did or didn't outrage me 4 years ago.

Don't try to turn this around. Trump supporters are the ones who seem not to care that KIDS were psychologically tortured and are dying NOW, as a direct result of the policies of an administration that they elected and support. Once you speak out and take action to stop that, I'll be happy to discuss what did or didn't outrage me 4 years ago.
Here we go again with your broad based generalizations. So now you think Trump supporters don't care about kids. This is exactly what @Joe Bryant calls you out for doing.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/immigrant-deaths-under-trump-on-par-with-obama-numbers-dhs

We mostly didn’t know about it. Trump has focused a lot of media attention to the border and we are seeing what’s going on. I think we all agree that more transparency on the issue would be preferred regardless who is in the office. 

Incredible 

Also if it was a problem under Obama or not is irrelevant at this point. We have a problem and need a solution. 

We knew about it , the media didn’t accurately report on it
If the media wasn’t reporting it accurately or reflective of reality than it means we as average Americans didn’t really know about it. I had paid very little attention to anything border related until Trump rightfully made it a big issue. 

So if I'm following this thread accurately, we currently have two discussions going on.

In one, conservatives are attempting to argue that a poll conducted by the "Stop the AOC" PAC shows AOC with unfavorable numbers in her district :mellow:

In the other, conservatives are trying to argue that AOC was out of line when she evoked WW2 concentration camps whose primary purpose was genocide (even though she didn't actually say anything about WW2 or Nazis), because the detention centers at the border are merely run of the mill internment camps where minorities only die due to neglect and children merely suffer psychological scarring attributable to Trump administration policy.

Great stuff all around.
When she said "Never again," what exactly was she referring to?  How would a typical, non-partisan listener interpret that phrase?

If the media wasn’t reporting it accurately or reflective of reality than it means we as average Americans didn’t really know about it. I had paid very little attention to anything border related until Trump rightfully made it a big issue. 
My attention to the matter goes back to Reagan and the deals he struck which were to solve this for all time.

I'm pro-immigration.  If it were up to me, most of the people who have come here seeking asylum would get it.  Anybody without a criminal record in their home country should be welcome here.  Separating kids from their parents is horrifying and disgraceful and something we ought not to be doing.

But it's literally not the Holocaust.  I can explain why it's bad without resorting to inflammatory hyperbole.  I strongly prefer that AOC stop helping on this one.

You absolutely made an accusation.

You said

I asked you 

You answered:

You can try to spin that however you like but those are your words not mine. I'm not mischaracterizing anything. 

And I'm definitely saying that to you personally. I'm not asking you to leave but I hate to see you make those kinds of statements when your back up for an accusation that strong is something as flimsy as "well they voted for Trump".
All due respect but you are waaaay off here, Joe.

I said:

"I mean that there's a microscope on AOC because conservative news knows their viewers/readers love to hate on young women of color."

You call that an accusation. Who am I accusing? Conservative news organizations?  I guess Their viewers in general? I'd say it's more of a characterization than an accusation, but fine.  Both are accusations/characterizations I could have defended, if you'd asked.

But you didn't ask about those claims.  Instead you asked me about "conservatives here on this forum," a group I hadn't even mentioned in the previous post.  So there's the first problem with your angle here, IMO.  This is why @parasaurolophus said it seemed like you were trying to trap me.  I hadn't said anything about specific posters or even posters in general, and you chose to steer the conversation towards that subject.

You then asked me if I thought that that they "love to hate on young women of color." I gave you my honest and careful answer: "some of them, probably."  If anything that was too cautious- in a group this large of course there are going to be some bigots, just like there's probably some people who have committed sexual assault or driven drunk or cheered for an opponent's injury or drank milk directly out of the carton. That's not an accusation, it's a statistical probability/educated guess. I was even careful to say that I didn't think it was true of most of them. So there's the second problem. The third problem IMO was when you said I was claiming that some specific people "can't think for themselves," an accusation I hadn't made.

This isn't really related but as for the Trump thing: you pressed me on why I thought some members of a group were OK with hating on women of color. As much as you may hate to admit this (and I totally understand why you do), I am 100% certain that Trump supporters are, on average, more bigoted than non-supporters, on average. There is a TON of evidence on this. So if you ask me why I think some small percentage of a larger group of people are bigots, and that larger group has been shown to contain a disproportionate number of bigots, that is simply evidence supporting my conclusion. As is their support for a politician who runs on openly bigoted policies and makes openly bigoted statements, of course. Supporting Trump doesn't make you a bigot, obviously, but if you take a sample of 20 people who all supported Trump and ask if some of them are bigots, the fact that they voted for Trump is a fairly solid argument for "yes."

So if I'm following this thread accurately, we currently have two discussions going on.

In one, conservatives are attempting to argue that a poll conducted by the "Stop the AOC" PAC shows AOC with unfavorable numbers in her district :mellow:

In the other, conservatives are trying to argue that AOC was out of line when she evoked WW2 concentration camps whose primary purpose was genocide (even though she didn't actually say anything about WW2 or Nazis), because the detention centers at the border are merely run of the mill internment camps where minorities only die due to neglect and children merely suffer psychological scarring attributable to Trump administration policy.

Great stuff all around.
When she said "Never again," what exactly was she referring to?  How would a typical, non-partisan listener interpret that phrase?
EO9066 is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

I'm pro-immigration.  If it were up to me, most of the people who have come here seeking asylum would get it.  Anybody without a criminal record in their home country should be welcome here.  Separating kids from their parents is horrifying and disgraceful and something we ought not to be doing.

But it's literally not the Holocaust.  I can explain why it's bad without resorting to inflammatory hyperbole.  I strongly prefer that AOC stop helping on this one.
Agreed on all counts. Let's get all who come and pose no threat (vast majority) processed legally and as quickly as possible. AOC throwing around these gross characterizations is not going to help that happen.

All due respect but you are waaaay off here, Joe.

I said:

"I mean that there's a microscope on AOC because conservative news knows their viewers/readers love to hate on young women of color."

You call that an accusation. Who am I accusing? Conservative news organizations?  I guess Their viewers in general? I'd say it's more of a characterization than an accusation, but fine.  Both are accusations/characterizations I could have defended, if you'd asked.

But you didn't ask about those claims.  Instead you asked me about "conservatives here on this forum," a group I hadn't even mentioned in the previous post.  So there's the first problem with your angle here, IMO.  This is why @parasaurolophus said it seemed like you were trying to trap me.  I hadn't said anything about specific posters or even posters in general, and you chose to steer the conversation towards that subject.

You then asked me if I thought that that they "love to hate on young women of color." I gave you my honest and careful answer: "some of them, probably."  If anything that was too cautious- in a group this large of course there are going to be some bigots, just like there's probably some people who have committed sexual assault or driven drunk or cheered for an opponent's injury or drank milk directly out of the carton. That's not an accusation, it's a statistical probability/educated guess. I was even careful to say that I didn't think it was true of most of them. So there's the second problem. The third problem IMO was when you said I was claiming that some specific people "can't think for themselves," an accusation I hadn't made.

This isn't really related but as for the Trump thing: you pressed me on why I thought some members of a group were OK with hating on women of color. As much as you may hate to admit this (and I totally understand why you do), I am 100% certain that Trump supporters are, on average, more bigoted than non-supporters, on average. There is a TON of evidence on this. So if you ask me why I think some small percentage of a larger group of people are bigots, and that larger group has been shown to contain a disproportionate number of bigots, that is simply evidence supporting my conclusion. As is their support for a politician who runs on openly bigoted policies and makes openly bigoted statements, of course. Supporting Trump doesn't make you a bigot, obviously, but if you take a sample of 20 people who all supported Trump and ask if some of them are bigots, the fact that they voted for Trump is a fairly solid argument for "yes."
I'm not off. And none of what you wrote there changes what you said. 

Interesting you feel asking you clarify exactly what you mean is "trapping".  

And I'll always pull the discussion back to our group. Our community is front and center here for me. 

And as I said, if your backup for making the accusation people here "love to hate on young women of color", you need to do better than "because they voted for Trump". Full Stop.  Be way more cool than that if you want to post here. 

No. It isn’t. And by saying so I’m not sure you get what the concentration camps (and gulags, the Russian versions) were all about. That would take to long to describe here but their horribleness was not an issue of lack of supplies or separating families. Or put it this way: in these refugee camps, when somebody dies, it makes the national news. Now, nobody should die; that’s an awful thing. But in a real concentration camp (not a death camp) death is a daily occurrence.
Concentration camps existed long before the Nazi camps.  And some of the camps during WWI were pretty reasonable places.  People certainly weren't dying every day in every camp.  At least at first (which is kind of the point here.)

And the definition being used here was generated prior to Trump -- based on the common features of ALL prior camp systems, not just the worst ones -- in 2013.  Which is also when the book referenced in the article AOC Tweeted was initiated.  Trump is not mentioned in that book, though both Obama and GWB come in for criticism.

"Never again" is a reminder that Jews repeat to themselves and to the larger community to ensure that we remain vigilant and never even start down that road again. It's ingrained in us. The point of the phrase is not simply that we should never reach that destination again, it's that we should make sure we never even start down that path.

I agree that the reference to concentration camps was maybe a bit too inflammatory and thus maybe counterproductive, but I have zero problem with her using the phrase "never again." I believe I was taught the phrase when I was a little kid for exactly this sort of situation.

AOC linked the Esquire concentration camp article that has the quote right under the title: 

"Things can be concentration camps without being Dachau or Auschwitz."
Honestly, I think AOC is setting a trap.  She has to be aware how her critics will explode without even reading the article.  Yet her statement is easily defensible in the context of the article.  I’d like to think that the end result of this tactic will be making people more aware of the conditions on the border. But it probably won’t to any meaningful degree.

AOC linked the Esquire concentration camp article that has the quote right under the title: 

Honestly, I think AOC is setting a trap.  She has to be aware how her critics will explode without even reading the article.  Yet her statement is easily defensible in the context of the article.  I’d like to think that the end result of this tactic will be making people more aware of the conditions on the border. But it probably won’t to any meaningful degree.
Her statement isn't defensible at all. Those migrants are coming to the US border by their own choice. There is no definition of a concentration camp (WWII or before) that jives with that simple fact.

I'm not off. And none of what you wrote there changes what you said. 

Interesting you feel asking you clarify exactly what you mean is "trapping".  

And I'll always pull the discussion back to our group. Our community is front and center here for me. 

And as I said, if your backup for making the accusation people here "love to hate on young women of color", you need to do better than "because they voted for Trump". Full Stop.  Be way more cool than that if you want to post here. 

I am 100% certain that you're off base here, and I'm sorry I'm not finding a way to make you see that. Let's try a different tack:

Do you think some people here drive drunk?

Now if you answer no, you're almost certainly wrong and you're ignoring basic probability.

If you answer yes, by your definition you have now accused posters here of driving drunk.  Would you feel that's an accurate characterization of your response to my question? Have you levied an accusation against a particular poster or group of posters here? 

Of course you haven't, IMO. You've simply responded to my question as best you could, based on the available information. And that's exactly what I did in response to your question.

I am 100% certain that you're off base here, and I'm sorry I'm not finding a way to make you see that. Let's try a different tack:

Do you think some people here drive drunk?

Now if you answer no, you're almost certainly wrong and you're ignoring basic probability.

If you answer yes, by your definition you have now accused posters here of driving drunk.  Would you feel that's an accurate characterization of your response to my question? Have you levied an accusation against a particular poster or group of posters here? 

Of course you haven't, IMO. You've simply responded to my question as best you could, based on the available information. And that's exactly what I did in response to your question.
Don't try to backpedal this into some sort of statistical probability defense exercise. 

Just move on. And please be more thoughtful throwing out you think some people here probably love to hate women of color without something clear and specific to back it up.

Don't try to backpedal this into some sort of statistical probability defense exercise. 

Just move on. And please be more thoughtful throwing out you think some people here probably love to hate women of color without something clear and specific to back it up.
Don't forget his latest generalization that we don't care about kids. 

The biggest flaw in what AOC said isn't rooted in the fact that the US isn't treating the migrants like the Germans treated Jews (you know by killing them in gas chambers), its from the fact that the migrants aren't being brought here by their captors. They're coming in mass, system-overwhelming numbers on their own free will.
I feel this is an important point. The japanese camp comparisons are awful too. 

The japanese camps were terrible because the united states took people that were american citizens, hell they even took children that were born here to parents that were born here, and locked them away in camps. 

So a political action committee called the Stop AOC PAC conducts a poll that says people don't like AOC?

Wow, what a surprise. You would never expect any bias in the methodology from such a politically neutral organization.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/poll-aoc-unliked-untrusted-unwanted-in-her-own-ny-district

This poll was worse than I thought. It was conducted door-to-door :mellow:  and although 10,000 doors were knocked on by two self identified "student activists" only 2,261 homes were actually surveyed representing just 21% of the 10,000. That would seem to me to be too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions.

We don't know what time of the day these students conducted the survey. If it was during the day when most people are at work, they might have interviewed a disproportionate number of older residents, who would tend to be more conservative.

41.73% of respondents polled in her district were unfamiliar with AOC. :o   How can that be? Particularly since we keep getting told in this thread about all the publicity she is getting and is supposedly the face of the Democratic party.

Questions 3 and 4 seemed a bit biased to me as to how the questions were phrased:

3 - Do you support allowing businesses like Amazon to move here and hire thousands of new jobs?

4 - Do you believe politicians, like AOC, had our community's best interest in mind when they forced Amazon out of Queens?
Question 5 asks:

Will you pledge to OPPOSE AOC in our next election?
and gives 3 options: Yes Pledge, No Pledge or Unsure. Pledge to oppose was not defined and respondents were not given the option to indicate they supported AOC or would vote for her in the next election, so not surprisingly 66.56% answered No Pledge or Unsure.

Horrible poll.

Her statement isn't defensible at all. Those migrants are coming to the US border by their own choice. There is no definition of a concentration camp (WWII or before) that jives with that simple fact.
What on God's green earth are you talking about?

Dictionary.com - first sentence: "a guarded compound for the detention or imprisonment of aliens"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/poll-aoc-unliked-untrusted-unwanted-in-her-own-ny-district

This poll was worse than I thought. It was conducted door-to-door :mellow:  and although 10,000 doors were knocked on by two self identified "student activists" only 2,261 homes were actually surveyed representing just 21% of the 10,000. That would seem to me to be too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions.

We don't know what time of the day these students conducted the survey. If it was during the day when most people are at work, they might have interviewed a disproportionate number of older residents, who would tend to be more conservative.

41.73% of respondents polled in her district were unfamiliar with AOC. :o   How can that be? Particularly since we keep getting told in this thread about all the publicity she is getting and is supposedly the face of the Democratic party.

Questions 3 and 4 seemed a bit biased to me as to how the questions were phrased:

Question 5 asks:

and gives 3 options: Yes Pledge, No Pledge or Unsure. Pledge to oppose was not defined and respondents were not given the option to indicate they supported AOC or would vote for her in the next election, so not surprisingly 66.56% answered No Pledge or Unsure.

Horrible poll.
What about these polls?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/28/18285533/aoc-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-poll-favorables-media

It wasn't a backpedal. It was an attempt to clarify by way of example. So I'll make it more direct:

Do you think there are posters here who love to hate women of color?

Seems like an unfair question, right?  Puts you on the spot in a no-win situation, doesn't it? If you answer yes, someone might take offense and think you're referring to them and/or their friends even though you've done no such thing. But if you answer no, you're downplaying the omnipresence of bigotry and misogyny in our culture as well as study after study demonstrating their frequency among certain demographics, including political ones.

That's exactly what you did to me. I didn't say a single word about posters here until you asked me the question. And when you did, I tried to couch it in the most innocuous terms I could, saying "some, probably" and clarifying that I thought most weren't bigoted themselves but were instead taking cues from the media they consume, as we all do.

The essence of her point was the comparison to concentration camps.  It was a fundamentally incorrect comparison.  The primary purpose of WW2 concentration camps was to facilitate genocide.
She didn't compare it to WWII concentration camps.  
It's very odd that jonessed subtly shifted the topic from "concentration camps" to "WW2 concentration camps". Does he not know that the term had been in use long before WW2?

It's very odd that jonessed subtly shifted the topic from "concentration camps" to "WW2 concentration camps". Does he not know that the term had been in use long before WW2?
That doesn't matter. When most people hear the term concentration camps they think of Nazi Germany. That isn't hard to understand. She made a poor choice of words.

Juxtatarot said:
Did you read the article?
From one of the links in the article...

Authorities have encountered 182 groups of 100 migrants or more this fiscal year, including 48 in May, officials said. Last year, Border Patrol encountered 13 such groups.

Last week, a group of over 1,000 migrants surrendered to Border Patrol agents after crossing the border illegally. It was the largest group Border Patrol has ever seen, officials said.
This is probably the single biggest reason for the conditions being experienced. That is not what the article itself would have you believe. 

Juxtatarot said:
Did you read the article?
of course not.  he doesn't read many of the ones he himself links to.  tim has outed him several times.  old hat.

and, it is totally america 2019, where the outrage against a controversial point is that too many people will, through ignorance, conflate it with something else.

John Blutarsky said:
Ah yes...the typical liberal tactic....don't like the news attack the source. So are you implying that poll is fake news?
Since the motif of the day is "generalizations." I bet you are never guilty of such generalizations, are you?

zoonation said:
She didn't compare it to WWII concentration camps.  
Of course she did.  You know it, I know it, and she knows it.  

It's not the sort of thing to get worked up about -- people make bad Nazi analogies all the time.  They're a staple of internet discourse.  But there's also no need to be willfully dishonest about what she was saying.  She should just walk it back and move on.

squistion said:

Question 5 asks:

Horrible poll.
Wait...What?  I was under the impression that polls were awesome????   Are you saying polls can be manipulated by the questions asked or who gets asked those questions? Say it isn't so!!!

Users who are viewing this thread