What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (5 Viewers)

Another "Go Back to your own Country" bigoted tirade.            This was all over our local news but have not seen anything national reported. 
It was picked up by Raw Story on July 19th.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/watch-employee-at-tim-hortons-slurs-muslim-couple-and-tells-them-go-back-to-your-own-country/

And no one has claimed in this forum that blacks or other POC can't be racist or bigoted against other ethnic minorities.

However as University of Michigan law professor, MNSBC contributor and former US Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan  Barbara McQuade noted:

https://twitter.com/BarbMcQuade/status/1152406269363290113

I don’t know all of the facts of this case, but I do know that tone starts at the top. When the president says go back to where you came from, it gives license to others to express similar words of hate. Leadership matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was picked up by Raw Story on July 19th.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/watch-employee-at-tim-hortons-slurs-muslim-couple-and-tells-them-go-back-to-your-own-country/

And no one has claimed in this forum that blacks or other POC can't be racist or bigoted against other ethnic minorities.

However as University of Michigan law professor, MNSBC contributor and former US Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan  Barbara McQuade noted:

https://twitter.com/BarbMcQuade/status/1152406269363290113

I don’t know all of the facts of this case, but I do know that tone starts at the top. When the president says go back to where you came from, it gives license to others to express similar words of hate. Leadership matters.
This incident happened a month ago though before Trump said it. It is just getting picked up now. Ann Arbor News had it but decided not to run with it.   Now that the muslim couple got an attorney they had to.

This incident happened a month ago though before Trump said it. It is just getting picked up now. Ann Arbor News had it but decided not to run with it.   Now that the muslim couple got an attorney they had to.
Well i guess we can criss barbara mcquade off of the reliable source list.

Louisiana police officer fired after suggesting AOC should be shot

The officer called Ocasio-Cortez a "vile idiot" who "needs a round, and I don't mean the kind she used to serve."  According to the news outlet, his comment was a reaction to a fake quote attributed to the congresswoman claiming that "we pay soldiers too much." Both his post and Facebook account have since been taken down.

Cortez: "This is Trump’s goal when he uses targeted language & threatens elected officials who don’t agree w/ his political agenda," she said. "It’s authoritarian behavior. The President is sowing violence. He’s creating an environment where people can get hurt & he claims plausible deniability."

Cortez: "This is Trump’s goal when he uses targeted language & threatens elected officials who don’t agree w/ his political agenda," she said. "It’s authoritarian behavior. The President is sowing violence. He’s creating an environment where people can get hurt & he claims plausible deniability."
The story is damning enough to the officer and by extension the President, but she makes it about dictatorial or authoritarian behavior. It's not. It's about politicking and stupidity. 

No, this type of behavior by Trump is straight out of the wanna-be-dictator playbook.   The things we see happening now in this country are an indirect result.
Except that if he were anything close to a dictator, her life would be in some actual danger.

But unstead, she can openly defy him in the free press with zero fear of any reprecussions and the guy who made a dumb comment has lost his job and likely his career.

@rockaction is right, her rhetoric is containing phrases that aren't anywhere close to the actual historical comparisons.

Our government is becoming more drama filled than a middle school cheerleading squad.  And while Trump is the root cause, members if Congress seem to constantly spur it on.

Except that if he were anything close to a dictator, her life would be in some actual danger.

But unstead, she can openly defy him in the free press with zero fear of any reprecussions and the guy who made a dumb comment has lost his job and likely his career.

@rockaction is right, her rhetoric is containing phrases that aren't anywhere close to the actual historical comparisons.

Our government is becoming more drama filled than a middle school cheerleading squad.  And while Trump is the root cause, members if Congress seem to constantly spur it on.
Its what he wants, not what he has.

The 'Squad' continues to build upon their impressive anti-semitic resume.

And no, a new office for potentially a few thousand employees is not anywhere near the 25,000 to 40,000 jobs that the new head quarters would have produced.  Can't read the WSJ article without a subscription, but do they even know if these will be new jobs or simply a relocation of Amazon already existing 5,000 New York employees.  Still a really dumb move to throw away tens of thousands of high-paying jobs and tens of billions in tax revenue.  New York will survive, but absolutely stupid move. 

Well, the bolded below didn't last long did it:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/777216-goodbye/?tab=comments#comment-22012371

Goodbye

jon_mx posted a topic in The Politics Forum

I am leaving this forum. I liked the challenge of making a good arguement. But it seems I am not wanted here, so I will leave. Thanks for the years of discussions.
Told you all after that overly dramatic and theatrical exit (there is a term for a person like that which escapes me) he would be back.

To quote Hell Toupee "Like a moth to a flame"

I watched that and maybe she was playing for the particular audience she was at but it seems like the strategy to beat Omar is to hope that men are so sexually frustrated in that district that they will be tired of seeing that "Muslim all covered up" and vote for her.   

Again I realize this is sexist on my part but based on that short video, I assume she will come in the debate wearing a USA string bikini and just yell AMERICA, GUNS, FREEDOM a lot.

She claims she can’t remember due to PTSD:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/republican-aiming-to-unseat-ilhan-omar-charged-with-felony/

Shes also really into Qanon. 
And even the QAnon stuff is disputed by a former assistant. Said she mentions it on social media because she knows it will help with the Trump crowd, but that the candidate "doesn't understand any of it." 

She's a crank, but that's probably to be expected in MN 5th from a Republican. They've got no shot at it so any reasonable candidate won't waste their time.

And even the QAnon stuff is disputed by a former assistant. Said she mentions it on social media because she knows it will help with the Trump crowd, but that the candidate "doesn't understand any of it." 

She's a crank, but that's probably to be expected in MN 5th from a Republican. They've got no shot at it so any reasonable candidate won't waste their time.
Listen, I've talked to a few of these Qanon people over the last few months, both here and in real life, and none of them understood any of it (other than "Trust Trump's Plan.")

You support a traitor and a criminal, one of the most, if not the most, despicable people to ever walk in the White House.  Do you have a better explanation?  I'm actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.  Am I wrong in doing that?

You support a traitor and a criminal, one of the most, if not the most, despicable people to ever walk in the White House.  Do you have a better explanation?  I'm actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.  Am I wrong in doing that?
I support this country doing well and I am not unhinged. 

You support a traitor and a criminal.  No question about it.  Do you consider that better than copping out to just being unhinged?  Again, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.
I support this country doing well. TDS is not allowed here and calling someone unhinged should be too.

You support a traitor and a criminal.  No question about it.  Do you consider that better than copping out to just being unhinged?  Again, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.
Most Trump supporters don’t believe he’s an full blown criminal- most I think know deep down that he’s a sleazy guy but they don’t regard him as a serious criminal. 

As far as traitor goes, there is unlikely to be a single Trump supporter who believes this. I can’t stand Trump but I’m not even sure I’d call him a traitor. 

Its really insulting IMO to use words like unhinged. And it serves no purpose. 

Ive seen unhinged posted here a lot...and quite often pointed at the non trump people.  Odd how now it gets then complaint.
It's not just the word, it's the context:

Honestly, she doesn't seem all that much more unhinged than an everyday run of the mill republican/trump supporter.  She even has being a criminal in common with trump.  Fits right in with those folks.
Saying a shoplifting, Qanon support tweeter is as similarly unhinged as a run of the mill Republican is not only silly but inflammatory.  It derails threads and should have no place here.

This is all I'll say about this since I don't think we should have extensive moderation discussions outside of a few designated threads.

It's not just the word, it's the context:

Saying a shoplifting, Qanon support tweeter is as similarly unhinged as a run of the mill Republican is not only silly but inflammatory.  It derails threads and should have no place here.

This is all I'll say about this since I don't think we should have extensive moderation discussions outside of a few designated threads.
Fair enough. 👍 

And no, a new office for potentially a few thousand employees is not anywhere near the 25,000 to 40,000 jobs that the new head quarters would have produced.  Can't read the WSJ article without a subscription, but do they even know if these will be new jobs or simply a relocation of Amazon already existing 5,000 New York employees.  Still a really dumb move to throw away tens of thousands of high-paying jobs and tens of billions in tax revenue.  New York will survive, but absolutely stupid move. 
Being critical of Israel isn't the same as being anti-Semitic.

You're right.  But comparing Israel to Nazi Germany is pretty clearly over the line.  Find some other analogy.
I could respect their position on free speech if they were consistent.  But to draw the line on a non-binding resolution while supporting all kinds of real restrictions on free speech fails the smell test.  They are using the free speech angle to cloak their anti-Israel/anti-semitic views.  

Users who are viewing this thread