What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (8 Viewers)

Wow. Michelle Caruso Cabrera (formerly CNBC) is challenging her in the primary. 
Just the fact that MCC is a D is surprising to me.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if all 4 of the squad were defeated? 
Would be surprised if anyone runs against Tlaib.  Nobody has run against the former incumbent John Conyers for decades. Even when he was having all the legal issues.

The district is mostly uneducated, low income and historically gets poor voter turnout.  John Conyers ran unopposed for decades and Tlaib ran unopposed when she was elected. If someone does run against her it will be a fellow dem.  It looks like a little kid on Adderal drew the map for her district as it zig zags all over.  Making sure it covers the worst parts of Detroit and Highland Park.

.  It looks like a little kid on Adderal drew the map for her district as it zig zags all over.  Making sure it covers the worst parts of Detroit and Highland Park.
mine (11th - haley stevens) is similarly shaped. the gerrymandering is absurd.

Hopefully Michelle takes this woman's spot and sends her back to where she came from. That would be great for the USA.

Well yeah but that link is much, much stronger in an official who regularly leverages official acts and power for private benefit.
Well of course he does it every single day if the threshold is any tangential link available. 

I am not saying he doesnt do it, i just think it is a bit over the top if we have the discussion every time. I think this one is very over the top. 

This just reeks of the lock her up crowd that saw a plot in every single thing that Hillary did. 

ShaqAttaq said:
mine (11th - haley stevens) is similarly shaped. the gerrymandering is absurd.
Write Haley asking her to support the FRA, which creates multi-member districts and eliminates gerrymandering. It can happen if Dems get the Senate back in the next two years.

Well yeah but that link is much, much stronger in an official who regularly leverages official acts and power for private benefit.
NY blocked immigration authorities from accessing DMV records and completing background checks for NY residents so Global Entry is turned off for those residents until the background checks can be completed.

Seems rather simple.  Not sure why it’s become a conspiracy theory.

NY blocked immigration authorities from accessing DMV records and completing background checks for NY residents so Global Entry is turned off for those residents until the background checks can be completed.

Seems rather simple.  
Sorry, why did they do this?

eta - Also - thanks for the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
NY allowed illegal immigrants to obtain normal drivers licenses with foreign documents and didn’t want ICE or Border Patrol to see any of the info.  That meant shutting off their access to DMV records.
Honestly, thanks for the background, I really didn't understand what it was about.

I've seen since though that this is what Cortez was referring to:

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

I’m seeing Governor Cuomo today at The White House. He must understand that National Security far exceeds politics. New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes. ...

12:30 PM · Feb 13, 202
- Why is Trump referencing "National Security" (which I take to mean the Global Entry policy) and why is he linking it here to lawsuits and investigation of him his company?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, thanks for the background, I really didn't understand what it was about.

I've seen since though that this is what Cortez was referring to:

- Why is Trump referencing "National Security" (which I take to mean the Global Entry policy) and why is he linking it here to lawsuits and investigation of him his company?
You have to take her statement as true in order to ask your question. It seems highly unlikely that Trump is referencing his personal lawsuits here or taking any action regarding his personal lawsuits. He is more than likely referencing the fact that the state of New York is suing the administration for violation of 5th and 14th amendments. Also threatening to sue for some other claims that they say are tantamount to political extortion.

I think it is important to note that the NY officials involved here have not made the claim AOC is making at all. They feel this is all about the Trump admins stance on immigration. 

This is political retribution, plain and simple, and while the president may want to punish New York for standing up to his xenophobic policies, we will not back down,
Trump's stance on immigration isn't a secret. 

You have to take her statement as true in order to ask your question. It seems highly unlikely that Trump is referencing his personal lawsuits here or taking any action regarding his personal lawsuits. He is more than likely referencing the fact that the state of New York is suing the administration for violation of 5th and 14th amendments. Also threatening to sue for some other claims that they say are tantamount to political extortion.

I think it is important to note that the NY officials involved here have not made the claim AOC is making at all. They feel this is all about the Trump admins stance on immigration. 

Trump's stance on immigration isn't a secret. 
Thanks, I agree, that makes sense.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claimed many restaurants "are feeling the pain of racism" because people are avoiding Chinese food out of fear of contracting the coronavirus.

"Honestly, it sounds almost so silly to say, but there's a lot of restaurants that are feeling the pain of racism," the New York Democrat said Tuesday night on Instagram Live. "People are literally not patroning Chinese restaurants. They're not patroning Asian restaurants because of just straight-up racism around the coronavirus."
Can you guys back in the states please stop being racist.  My favorite Chinese place went under about a year ago and I haven't found a "go-to" place yet.  If my hibachi spot closes too, there will be hell to pay!!!!  

Chinese restaurants are taking a bigger hit than other kinds of restaurants.  Seems like racism to me.
I'm having a hard time drawing the same conclusion.  A lot of those places get their supplies from china.  China was the center of the outbreak.  If someone wants to avoid a Chinese restaurant while this situation plays out, that isn't racism.  

This seems to be pretty regional and I find it difficult to associate it with racism. Probably more ignorance, but we will see.

One month ago I would not have gone to a chinese restaurant in Chinatown in any major city. Today I woudln't hesitate for a second. Would have never hesitated to go to my local go to.

My guess is that we see this turn around quite a bit as more and more people become aware that the people that they might hear speaking chinese next to them have definitely not been to china recently. 

There also could be some perception issues that will cause some problems. For example the today show was talking about a restaurant that was hurting and they had this on the front of the place. They were just trying to inform people, but that's a terrible optic. Another place being asked questions I saw had some workers with masks on. If you walked into a restaurant and saw that you might turn around before asking if they were just being precautionary.  

There also could be some perception issues that will cause some problems. For example the today show was talking about a restaurant that was hurting and they had this on the front of the place. They were just trying to inform people, but that's a terrible optic. Another place being asked questions I saw had some workers with masks on. If you walked into a restaurant and saw that you might turn around before asking if they were just being precautionary.  
That's heartbreaking. I imagine a lot of the people who own small local restaurants (Chinese or otherwise) aren't natural marketers, and the examples you cite sound like people who were trying to be helpful and were unwittingly sabotaging their businesses in the process.

I do agree it will get better as we learn more about the virus, and I think that a lot of these expressions are some combination of uncertainty, fear, and yes, xenophobia and racism, with the exact ratio depending on the individual.

Users who are viewing this thread