What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (5 Viewers)

Does anyone have any actual facts?  Or are we assuming that empty Chinese restaurants = racism?

I noticed today at 5 guys that they barely had any customers.  Is that racism too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any actual facts?  Or are we assuming that empty Chinese restaurants = racism?

I noticed today at 5 guys that they barely had any customers.  Is that racism too?
Plenty of chinese restaurants are saying it is business as usual. 

It is also entirely possible that the restaurants that are hurting are hurting because chinese customers are avoiding them. 

That pic I showed had three signs in not english and one sign in english on the front. Very possible a huge % of their customers arent even white. 

In other words this is all anecdotal by a democrat with an agenda. Business as usual, ironically. 

So we have an unsupported claim with zero evidence presented and there are people who want to throw out white-shaming/race-baiting charges of racism around?  Amazing, although not shocking.  You wonder why Democrats don't get the white vote?   This presumption that racism is always present in some dominant way is maddening.  Here is some helpful advise when courting voters, don"t accuse them of being racist especially when you have zero verified facts and no basis for such claim.  

First link extends it to Chinese people as well

Coronavirus rumors are hurting Chinatowns around the world

https://qz.com/1798597/coronavirus-rumors-are-hurting-popular-chinese-restaurants/

Amid coronavirus fears, Chinese restaurants report a drop in business

https://tinyurl.com/sdcp4ln

Chinese restaurant owners pin downturn in business on coronavirus fears

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/chinese-restaurant-owners-pin-downturn-in-business-on-coronavirus-fears

Coronavirus anxiety is devastating Chinese businesses in New York City

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/business/chinese-business-new-york-city-coronavirus/index.html

lots more on simple searches.

So we have an unsupported claim with zero evidence presented and there are people who want to throw out white-shaming/race-baiting charges of racism around?  Amazing, although not shocking.  You wonder why Democrats don't get the white vote?   This presumption that racism is always present in some dominant way is maddening.  Here is some helpful advise when courting voters, don"t accuse them of being racist especially when you have zero verified facts and no basis for such claim.  
Did anyone mention white people?

Or do you have a complex tossed into it?

It is a well established according to the consensus of leftists only white privileged people can be racist.  
Simply bologna. Racism occurs across the spectrum. Plenty of black people are racist towards white people, Mexican people that don’t like black people/white people, and plenty of white people who aren’t privileged that are racist. There are racist democrats, republicans, communists, nazis. 
Feel free to link this “well established” fact though, shouldn’t be hard since there’s a “consensus.”

Oh please.  When the far leftwing (someone in the mold of AOC) speaks about racism, they are talking about whites, period.  
In AOC’s comments, do you think she was only thinking of whites not going to Chinese restaurants or do you think she was talking about people of multiple races?

Simply bologna. Racism occurs across the spectrum. Plenty of black people are racist towards white people, Mexican people that don’t like black people/white people, and plenty of white people who aren’t privileged that are racist. There are racist democrats, republicans, communists, nazis. 
Feel free to link this “well established” fact though, shouldn’t be hard since there’s a “consensus.”
Do people live under a rock?.  This is a very common theme among PC Leftist like AOC.  Here are a few articles on the subject:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/minorities-cant-be-racist

Racism comes from prejudice and the group with the prejudiced having power.  All throughout history and to this day, white people are the majority group in America.  Systematically, white people have the power and when you add prejudice you end up with racism.

When you have people of color in America, they are the minority groups. They don’t have the power like the white majority do. Hatred toward people of other races in cases of minority groups to other minority groups or minority to majority in cases of race, isn’t racism. It’s prejudice

https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/dear-white-people-why-black-people-cant-be-racist/1960206

Racism is the oppression of a marginalized group in a society that is based on white supremacy. If you are a white person, then you naturally benefit from white privilege.

This means that the exclusionary things black people are often accused of being racist for doing — creating a "Black Lives Matter" movement, attending historically black colleges, having a "Black Girls Rock" event  — could never be racist.

https://www.thecrimson.com/column/between-the-lines/article/2018/8/10/gao-who-can-be-racist/

Another camp thinks primarily of institutional racism and factors in a person’s power to use their racist beliefs against others. As one African-American lead character from the 2014 movie “Dear White People” argues, “Black people can’t be racist. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. Black people can’t be racists since we don’t stand to benefit from such a system.”

https://atlantablackstar.com/2016/10/06/google-pisses-some-people-off-by-claiming-blacks-ethnic-minorities-cant-be-racist-toward-whites/

So can African-Americans really be racist toward the very racial group that oppressed them for so many years? The answer is a resounding “no,” according to tech giant Google and a host of other experts poised in debunking the myth known as “reverse racism.”

https://medium.com/humanist-voices/can-minorities-be-racist-a9ff8c7bc102:  "On one end of the spectrum, PC leftists say there’s no such thing as reverse racism because minorities can’t be racist."

https://www.pambazuka.org/governance/black-people-can’t-be-racist

Black people can never be racist – we never had the tools or power to institutionalise racial oppression.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reverse-racism-isnt-a-thing_n_55d60a91e4b07addcb45da97

Some people simplify racism as one group not liking another, and think “racist” and “prejudiced” are interchangeable. But racism is a concept that operates on both an individual and institutional level. 

At its core, racism is a system in which a dominant race benefits off the oppression of others — whether they want to or not. We don’t live in a society where every racial group has equal power, status, and opportunity. Yes, white people all over the world and throughout history have experienced atrocities like slavery and persecution. But in the very specific context of American history, white people have not been enslaved, colonized, or forced to segregate on the scale that black people have. They do not face housing or job discrimination, police brutality, poverty, or incarceration at the level that black people do. This is not to say that they do not experience things like poverty and police brutality at all. But again, not on the same scale —  not even close. That is the reality of racism. 

----------------------------------------------

This theory really got into the limelight around 1992 during Clinton's attack on Sister Souljer for racist lyrics, and leaders such as Jessie Jackson and others touted that it is impossible for blacks to be racist.  Today it is pretty mainstream among liberal PC types to deny that minorities can be racist.  I am kind of shocked this is even a point of contention by anyone who participates in racial discussions.

In AOC’s comments, do you think she was only thinking of whites not going to Chinese restaurants or do you think she was talking about people of multiple races?
When AOC talks about racism, she is absolutely taking about only white people.  That is how many people on the more extreme side of the racial politics define racism.  

Juxtatarot said:
Is your answer to my question yes?
Y - E - S.  Do I need to spell it out slower for you?  I know there were a few multiple syllable words in there, but I was very clear on my response.  

BigSteelThrill said:

https://qz.com/1798597/coronavirus-rumors-are-hurting-popular-chinese-restaurants/

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/chinese-restaurant-owners-pin-downturn-in-business-on-coronavirus-fears

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/business/chinese-business-new-york-city-coronavirus/index.html

That first link has this image. And said their business cratered when a rumor that a worker had corona virus started.

???   It was the first 4 links on the google search.  Of lots and lots.

Did it link the picture to any particular part of the story?
It fits with exactly what i was saying earlier in the thread and the other image i posted. 

Asian people are far more likely to wear masks. Even 6 months ago you probably couldnt go through any major international airport in the US without seeing an asian person wearing a mask. 

Also business struggles are seldom reported in real time. Nobody makes a big deal with a slow few days. These things usually lag. And one month ago initial US cases were often linked to china. I will give you one guess to name a place in the US where you were more likely a month ago to run into people that have traveled to china. It rhymes with the way a wahlberg might say miner town

jon_mx said:
When AOC talks about racism, she is absolutely taking about only white people.  That is how many people on the more extreme side of the racial politics define racism.  
What if blacks and Hispanics don`t want Chinese food for awhile?

BigSteelThrill said:

People react the same way as the stock market on fears and jitters.  If people have fear they are not getting on a plane or in this case eating something they fear even if it is ok.   

Think about if you ever had food poisoning and the food that caused it.  Many people never eat that food again even though you could have it the next day and be fine.  It is all about perception, or misperception as MT stated.

What if blacks and Hispanics don`t want Chinese food for awhile?
That is an act of prejudice, not racism.  Blacks, Hispanics and even Chinese are all incapable of racism in a white privileged society according to the advanced liberal-think.  Now homeless whites can be racist since they are clearly part of the privileged class.  

Snorkelson said:
Thanks for the semantics lesson @jon_mx I suppose I didn’t understand the definition of racism fully. 
There are different definitions of racism.  In this AOC example, she is not using the definition Jon suggests about requiring it to be institutional and systemic.  

That's funny. We were talking about AOC in the "Is Biden the safe choice?" thread and I figured, rather than derail that topic, I should post in the dedicated AOC thread. So I come here and it's all about Chinese food.  :shrug:

Anyway, in an effort to get both threads back on track, I'll just say that I've been really impressed with her comments over the past few days, especially compared to a certain subset of rose-emoji Twitter trolls. She gets that politics is about coalition building, and that the lesson to take away from Bernie's seeming demise is that the left has to do a better job at persuading people.

I find it odd that people are so quick to dismiss her as some kind of dim-witted star-f##ker when everything I've seen from her indicates that she has a smart, nuanced take on both politics and the underlying substantive issues. And I say that as someone whose politics probably hew closer to the center than hers do.

That's funny. We were talking about AOC in the "Is Biden the safe choice?" thread and I figured, rather than derail that topic, I should post in the dedicated AOC thread. So I come here and it's all about Chinese food.  :shrug:

Anyway, in an effort to get both threads back on track, I'll just say that I've been really impressed with her comments over the past few days, especially compared to a certain subset of rose-emoji Twitter trolls. She gets that politics is about coalition building, and that the lesson to take away from Bernie's seeming demise is that the left has to do a better job at persuading people.

I find it odd that people are so quick to dismiss her as some kind of dim-witted star-f##ker when everything I've seen from her indicates that she has a smart, nuanced take on both politics and the underlying substantive issues. And I say that as someone whose politics probably hew closer to the center than hers do.
Dim witted? Pffffft. She took second place at the science fair. She is practically in charge of the cdc. 

Now that ought to get this thread back on track. 

I don`t mind her, she reminds me of Lavar Ball in a way.  Say outlandish stuff and keep your name in the press.  In todays age it really does not matter if anything you say is actually fact or true as it disappears in 24-48 hours.  Hell the impeachment was never talked about again after a day or so.    
Pulling this in from the Biden thread. I'm genuinely curious: What kind of "outlandish stuff" has AOC said? I'm racking my brain trying to think of something she did that was particularly controversial. Certainly nothing on par with Tlaib ("Impeach the MFer") or Omar ("All about the Benjamins").

I feel like the idea of AOC seems really radical, but whenever I've seen her speak she has come across as substantive, well-informed and nuanced.

FYI, this quote in particular was what I was thinking of:

“I always want to see us come together as a progressive wing,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said. “I think that’s important and where we draw strength from. But at the same time, I come from the lens of an organizer, and if someone doesn’t do what you want, you don’t blame them — you ask why. And you don’t demand that answer of that person — you reflect. And that reflection is where you can grow.”

There are different definitions of racism.  In this AOC example, she is not using the definition Jon suggests about requiring it to be institutional and systemic.  
I would bet anyone $100 that AOC is entirely onboard with the concept that minorities can not be racist.  She is absolutely part of the far-left liberal think PC mindset concerning race.  

I would bet anyone $100 that AOC is entirely onboard with the concept that minorities can not be racist.  She is absolutely part of the far-left liberal think PC mindset concerning race.  
Absolutely. I don't know how anyone who knows her or who has read anything about her cannot come to that conclusion.

Nonsense. I am sure in her lifetime she has seen Latinos who are racist and may have experienced racism herself from other minorities. 

I won't make a bet because it is impossible to prove or disprove unless she makes a statement on the subject, which we won't see. 

Nonsense. I am sure in her lifetime she has seen Latinos who are racist and may have experienced racism herself from other minorities. 

I won't make a bet because it is impossible to prove or disprove unless she makes a statement on the subject, which we won't see. 
So then by the Democratic Party Standards of Guilt (used by the House), you are guilty until proven innocent.  We're going to need to see her admit that races other than white are also racist to prove her innocence.

Remember, these are the standards of the Party you are a part of.

I agree. some of the biggest racist`s I know are Latinos from my wife`s side of the family.

jon_mx said:
I know I'm late to this but where did AOC say white people?

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claimed many restaurants "are feeling the pain of racism" because people are avoiding Chinese food out of fear of contracting the coronavirus.

I know I'm late to this but where did AOC say white people?

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claimed many restaurants "are feeling the pain of racism" because people are avoiding Chinese food out of fear of contracting the coronavirus.
A basic tenant of PC liberalism is that racism = white people.  It is impossible for any minority to be racist.  Minorities are prejudice and whites are racist according to the elitist PC crowd's definition of the terms. I provided 7 or 8 links which clearly state this.  

Users who are viewing this thread