What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is mahomes held in such higher esteem than trubisky? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
Both 2nd year players.  Trubisky with more nfl starting experience.  Both have weapons around them.  Trubisky has Nagy who was from KC.  Does he fantasy community simply believe that Mahomes is that much more talented than trubisky?  Mahomes was drafted in most 12 team leagues, trubisky wasn’t.  

Andy Reid, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce >>>>>their Bears counterparts.

At least that's the perception.

Andy Reid, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce >>>>>their Bears counterparts.

At least that's the perception.
Plus the perception of a cannon for an arm, and legs to move around.

I don’t even know where Trubisky played college ball, but I’ve seen the damage Mahomes can do. But, to be fair.... I watch a lot of Big 12 Football.

"wow" moments vs. average at best moments.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but Trubisky (although has played more), has not had anything spectacular happen.  Nothing he's done has caught attention.  Mahomes has done it over and over again (although just preseason).  

The other reason is just the unknown.  Again people have seen Trubisky play and they see a guy that's probably average right now.  As for Mahomes everyone hasn't seen him lead an offense for a full game, so the expectations are just astronomical.  People want to expect the best.  

A year younger entering the league.  A much longer NCAA resume.  A bit sturdier.  Bigger arm.  Much better situation.

I think Mahomes has the more illustrous college resume yes. But now in the nfl, trubisky has more game experience, and as far as weapons and coaching go I think they are comparable.  

Mahomes has a rocket arm but trubisky arm strength is good. And he has excellent accuracy.  And he also has athletic ability to make plays outside of the pocket.  

I just don’t see how you can be high on Mahomes and not trubisky this season.   They may both fall flat on their faces, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they did.  But I can also see them both enjoying lots of success in their first full year as starters with the weapons surrounding them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I said something similar in either the Trubisky or Mahomes player thread. Mahomes is just one of those guys that generates hype and captures the imagination because it seems like he has a much higher ceiling. The media is on board with him while there hasn’t been much positive narrative around Trubisky.

Personally I think they’re both top 10 dynasty QBs shortly, with top 5 upside. I don’t think there’s a good reason for Mahomes to be ranked significantly higher - if anything they’re in similar situations, only Trubisky was (IMO) a better college prospect and at least has a year of NFL experience under his belt.

The one thing that Mahomes does have over Trubisky right now is that the Chiefs defense will be awful and he will be in shootouts all season...oh, and he has Tyreek.

It’s the unknown with Mahomes. 
My guess.   Trubisky didn't do much last season so more of the same is expected.   That is probably not fair since he has likely developed and has better weapons this season.  This is a big year for Trubisky.   He is expected to perform as a good QB this season and get wins.  The rookie QB pass is over and Chicago has a good team on both sides of the ball.   

And Mahomes can throw the ball really far.  

The Chiefs had a Top 5 QB last year and traded him away in favor of Mahomes. The logic being they wouldn’t trade Smith if they didn’t think Mahomes was better. 

I like them both.  I have Mahomes in a 14 teamer with Trubisky on the wire.  I would try to scoop him up if the benches werent so shallow.  In my 12 team with deep benches both are rostered.

Perception wise, its pretty easy to see why Mahomes is held in higher esteem.  Yes, both have weapons but Kelce, Hill, Hunt are considered significantly better than Burton, AR15, and Howard- the first 2 who are new to the team.  The Chiefs offense as a whole is seen as significantly better than the Bears.

That said, I could easily see a scenario where Trubisky fairs as well or better than Mahomes.  I expect them both to have good years that outperform their ADPs.  But also realize they are 1st year starters who could fall flat on their faces as well.

flapgreen said:
#fakenews

I dont think mitch is that good to be honest...unsure on mahomes.....we will find out soon enough....i expect alot of wow plays and mistakes from mahomes..mitch strikes me as a guy who can maybe turn into a game manager

Last edited by a moderator:
#fakenews

I dont think mitch is that good to be honest...unsure on mahomes.....we will find out soon enough....i expect alot of wow plays and mistakes from mahomes..mitch strikes me as a guy who can maybe turn into a game manager
What's fake news? What about Mitch makes you think he's a "game manager?" 

Holy hell. This thread can now die a quick death.  Mahomes looked like the next coming of Favre today and trubisky looked like a player in his 2nd year struggling to figure out how to play in the nfl.  
It's one game....

But yeah, Mahomes is great. I don't think we should bury Trubisky quite yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread