Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

Anti-Semitism

2 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

For whatever it’s worth (not that anybody asked me), I think accusations of trolling are leveled far too often.

Tobias’s post was excessively inflammatory in rhetoric and possibly in substance, but I think he believed every word of it. He wasn’t trolling. He wasn’t insincerely claiming something he didn’t believe simply to waste another person’s time or to get a rise out of someone. He was stating his heartfelt opinion using gratuitously incendiary language.

That may justify a suspension for not being excellent, but it’s starkly different from trolling.

That's cool. We can disagree there.

It was completely unexcellent and I believe designed as a shot to attempt to "score points" and get a reaction from the "other" side. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he very well may truly believe it. Doesn't make it any less trolling in my opinion. But to be fair, I've little interest in debating the actual word of what's trolling. Either way, we're definitely not having what he did here. 

Edited by Joe Bryant

For anyone who is interested, The Daily podcast (New York Times) did an interview with rashida tlaib today. She came off well, and most definitely did not sound anti-Semitic. Further her interview in which she uttered the comments regarding the holocaust was played. She absolutely did not try to convey pride over the holocaust. Her words in context were expressing pride for the Palestinians helping the Jews after WW2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glass Joe said:

For anyone who is interested, The Daily podcast (New York Times) did an interview with rashida tlaib today. She came off well, and most definitely did not sound anti-Semitic. Further her interview in which she uttered the comments regarding the holocaust was played. She absolutely did not try to convey pride over the holocaust. Her words in context were expressing pride for the Palestinians helping the Jews after WW2. 

Clearly, you don't "know what she means" when she says what she says.  I think there's a special decoder ring involved but you'll have to consult the experts on that.

16 hours ago, timschochet said:

First off I reject the analogy of the United States. If the USA was the size of Vermont and surrounded by enemies on all sides, I certainly would not be for open immigration. The immigrants who come to this country want to be part of our system, they want the freedom and the economic and social opportunities. And we have plenty of room for them. Those are the key differences. 

Surrounded by enemies?  This is Netanyahu think.  Most Palestinians are just human beings trying to live a normal life.  When you characterize them as terrorists seeking to destroy Israel, I think you are being xenophobic.  

A better analogy would be if Vermont settlers herded a bunch of Vermont natives into a ghetto, then tried to say the natives are a demographic threat.  

2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Surrounded by enemies?  This is Netanyahu think.  Most Palestinians are just human beings trying to live a normal life.  When you characterize them as terrorists seeking to destroy Israel, I think you are being xenophobic.  

A better analogy would be if Vermont settlers herded a bunch of Vermont natives into a ghetto, then tried to say the natives are a demographic threat.  

I didn’t characterize Palestinians as terrorists. But the sad facts are that their two governments, freely elected, consistently publicly call for the violent destruction of the state of Israel and have done so ever since 1948. The government of Gaza, Hamas, has gone even further, declaring a holy war against Jews and calling for their complete extermination. They engage in terrible propaganda in their media and schools, hateful bigoted anti-Semitism. Frankly, they make Netanyahu’s own bigotry much easier. 

So let’s not pretend that if these people were allowed to move into Israel it would be one big happy country. It would not. It wouldn’t be South Africa in 1992. Although there is no good analogy, the best one I can come up with is India/Pakistan 1949: massacres, genocide, destruction of social order, perhaps millions dead.