What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (5 Viewers)

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs' 4.60-second 40-yard dash "isn't expected to hurt Jacobs."

Jacobs (5'10/216) tested like a below average NFL running back at his pro day, but Miller isn't overly concerned because Jacobs' game is about his vision, agility, and power. While true, it is hard to envision that Jacobs goes inside the top 20 now and some analysts were slotting him there before his pro day. At this point, Jacobs is most likely to be selected in the latter portion of the first round or, worst case, early in Round 2.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 22, 2019, 1:40 PM

Greg Cosell write up on Jacobs is pretty strong, not bad on Miles Sanders either(which is on same page) but strong praise for Jacobs, just one guy's opinion of course but here is the link: https://twitter.com/gregcosell/status/1109514401835569152
Not that he can’t miss but I like Cosell and this makes me think Jacobs is still in the mix for my 1.01. Down to Harry, AJ Brown and Jacobs. Landing spot could shuffle any of these guys or have someone below them jump ahead of them.

Jacobs went 5.03 in my startup, if he didn’t go there I doubt he’d make it very far after that as well.  He’s very much in play for top rookie pick. 
Curious. Was there any other rookies who went before him? If so, what round?

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein projects Joshua Jacobs to be selected by the Philadelphia Eagles at pick No. 25 in his latest mock draft.

After not participating in the NFL Scouting Combine, Jacobs (5'10/216) tested poorly at his Pro Day. He ran a 4.60-second 40-yard dash, good for the 46th percentile when adjusting for size. All we really have to go off now is his tape as he's below average in athleticism and production metrics. His tape is outstanding though as he displays top-tier agility and power nearly every time he touches the ball. Jacobs is the only running back selected in the first round of Zierlein's mock and would be a good fit to take on a sizeable workload for the Eagles.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 24, 2019, 11:05 AM

Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs has official visits with the Ravens next week.

Jason La Canfora also reports that the Eagles, Titans, and Colts are "very intrigued" in Jacobs (5'10/216). Of the four teams, the Eagles have the biggest running back need, but their analytics influence may steer them away from Jacobs. The other teams have at least one decent running back on the current roster -- Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, and Marlon Mack -- but those backs don't completely rule out their teams selecting a running back early. All four teams pick in the second half of Round 1, which is where most analysts expect Jacobs to come off the board.

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 27, 2019, 8:20 AM

JOSHUA JACOBS RB, ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

The Philadelphia Eagles traded a 2020 sixth-round pick in exchange for Bears RB Jordan Howard.

The pick could turn into a 2020 fifth-rounder, but the biggest impact of the trade surrounds the Eagles' team needs. Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs has been commonly mocked to the Eagles' 25th overall pick, but the likelihood of that happening has decreased with Howard on the roster, even if he's been a replaceable-level runner since his rookie season. It's still reasonable to expect Jacobs to go Round 1, but there's a chance he could slide.

SOURCE: Eagles on Twitter

Mar 28, 2019, 6:39 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Alabama RB Josh Jacobs to Buffalo Bills RB Frank Gore.

"Teams will rightfully question his breakaway speed, but it’s rare to get a back with this much talent and so little damage done to his body coming out of college," Miller writes. He views the 5-foot-10, 216-pound Jacobs as the "unquestioned" RB1 in the 2019 class, noting that he possesses "early Pro Bowl potential." While Jacobs is still probably the consensus top back in the class, a rather unimpressive pro day showing has thrown some dirt on his Day 1 stock.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 2, 2019, 9:30 AM

If he gets drafted in the 1st it won't matter if he's really good or just ok because he'll be forced touches like other mediocre RBs have in the past. Front offices can't really survive missing on lots of 1st rounds picks. 

If he gets drafted in the 1st it won't matter if he's really good or just ok because he'll be forced touches like other mediocre RBs have in the past. Front offices can't really survive missing on lots of 1st rounds picks. 
If he’s drafted in the first that whole front office should be #### canned anyway.

Please get back to discussing the players and not shots at each other. Thanks. 
What’s good for the gander, right Joe? Guy does this daily without discussing a single thing about players. He should just go to the FFA if he wants to be a troll. 

I’ve come around on Jacobs to a degree. The lack of college touches could signal he’s not as good as thought, or if he hits, it means he’s useful in FF for 7-8ish years rather than 5-6ish. Interesting gambit we don’t always see with a high end back. IIRC, Kamara saw few touches in college (injury related, though)

I’ve come around on Jacobs to a degree. The lack of college touches could signal he’s not as good as thought, or if he hits, it means he’s useful in FF for 7-8ish years rather than 5-6ish. Interesting gambit we don’t always see with a high end back. IIRC, Kamara saw few touches in college (injury related, though)
I agree. I have Jacobs as my 3rd overall player right now. if I'm drafting 1.1 or 1.2 and I need a RB, I'd gladly take him. He has just as much risk as the consensus (biabreakables poll) wr1 and wr2. 

I like Jacobs but the Kamara thing is mis-used I think.  Kamara was underutilized as a runner in college.  But Kamara was VERY heavily utilized as a receiver in college.  He was getting Christian McCaffrey/Reggie Bush type usage as a receiver, he just wasn't getting the chance to run the ball like them.

I like Jacobs but the Kamara thing is mis-used I think.  Kamara was underutilized as a runner in college.  But Kamara was VERY heavily utilized as a receiver in college.  He was getting Christian McCaffrey/Reggie Bush type usage as a receiver, he just wasn't getting the chance to run the ball like them.
My broader point is, sometimes players are underutilized in college and it’s not because they lack talent. 

NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brant listed the Oakland Raiders as the best fit for Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs.

"Landing a true bell-cow back would help make the Raiders' overhauled receiving corps even more effective. Jacobs has very good hands, outstanding quickness and strength as a runner," Brant wrote. The Raiders have three first-round picks, and while a running back likely isn't in play at fourth overall this could be a position the team looks to address with either the 24th or 27th overall pick. Jacobs carried the ball 251 times during his Alabama career, thanks to the amount of talent in the backfield, and the comparative lack of use could work in his favor.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 4, 2019, 10:57 AM

Alabama RB Josh Jacobs visited the Ravens on Thursday.

Considered by many to be the top running back in this year's draft, the 'Bama alum will also visit the Eagles next week. The Ravens paid up for Mark Ingram in free agency, but are still looking to add to their backfield. Jacobs, who turned 21 in February, tacked on 887 yards from scrimmage (640 rushing, 247 receiving) with 14 touchdowns for the Crimson Tide this past season.

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 5, 2019, 2:12 PM

Faust said:
"I don't know if there really is a first-round running back in this class," one former NFC general manager told me. "I love Jacobs' character and toughness, but he doesn't have enough production to necessarily warrant a first-round grade. Sure, he has strength, power, wiggle and pass-catching skills, but he's never been the focal point of the offense. How do we know how he'll respond to a heavy workload when we've never seen him do it?

Didn't get a ton of opportunity at Bama, but when he did he looked really good.  As a Raider fan I'd be very happy with him at 24 or 27.
Agreed. Been compared to Frank Gore in terms of running style. Could do way worse than that with a late first if Jacobs has that type of career.

Last edited by a moderator:
So athleticism doesn't matter or production? So what does matter?
Both matters to a degree. What can’t be measured is what’s between a players ears and IMHO that’s why there’s so many misses in the NFL that’s why they make them take that outdated test to try and gauge something that can’t be measured.

Tex

The rise of Jacobs as everyone's #1 RB prospect is kind of fascinating IMO. I can't remember when it was (perhaps it coincided with the college football playoffs or something), but it seemed he went from a guy no one was discussing a couple of months ago to a possible 1.01 rookie draft pick in the space of a weekend on Twitter. We all know how these things work - one influential guy/scout says he's the best RB in this class, that gets retweeted, an echo chamber forms etc etc (a similar thing is happening right now with Miles Sanders actually). Suddenly Jacobs is the RB prize in the draft and there's not much debate about it. He's obviously helped by a lack of top end RB talent in this class because his poor metrics seem to have had no impact on his dynasty rookie draft stock (or not much anyway). 

Not saying he isn't good, or can't be a high end dynasty asset in the right spot, but his rise does seem largely media driven and it's not obvious to me that he's THAT much better than the rest of the RBs who will get drafted in the first 4 rounds of the NFL draft. 

The rise of Jacobs as everyone's #1 RB prospect is kind of fascinating IMO. I can't remember when it was (perhaps it coincided with the college football playoffs or something), but it seemed he went from a guy no one was discussing a couple of months ago to a possible 1.01 rookie draft pick in the space of a weekend on Twitter. We all know how these things work - one influential guy/scout says he's the best RB in this class, that gets retweeted, an echo chamber forms etc etc (a similar thing is happening right now with Miles Sanders actually). Suddenly Jacobs is the RB prize in the draft and there's not much debate about it. He's obviously helped by a lack of top end RB talent in this class because his poor metrics seem to have had no impact on his dynasty rookie draft stock (or not much anyway). 

Not saying he isn't good, or can't be a high end dynasty asset in the right spot, but his rise does seem largely media driven and it's not obvious to me that he's THAT much better than the rest of the RBs who will get drafted in the first 4 rounds of the NFL draft. 
I would say in December or January was when Dane Brugler listed him as his top RB and I thought that he was the first person high on him but I came across an article from Rob Rang back in late November that said he could possibly be the top RB selected if he declares, Rob added a few disclaimers in that comment but at least got a guy on record in November saying he could possibly be the top RB.

I do agree with the echo chamber influence of media people with respect to each other. In this case I don't think his rise is media driven because I think he's going to be the #1 RB drafted and if not likely #2. I just think the media is often behind the real NFL decision makers so sometimes it seems like a player is rising but in reality the media is just catching up. Saying that not sure he should be considered the RB prize of the draft so much so that even in a mediocre class someone has to carry the mantle of top guy and I do think he is it with majority of NFL teams. We'll see.

I would say in December or January was when Dane Brugler listed him as his top RB and I thought that he was the first person high on him but I came across an article from Rob Rang back in late November that said he could possibly be the top RB selected if he declares, Rob added a few disclaimers in that comment but at least got a guy on record in November saying he could possibly be the top RB.

I do agree with the echo chamber influence of media people with respect to each other. In this case I don't think his rise is media driven because I think he's going to be the #1 RB drafted and if not likely #2. I just think the media is often behind the real NFL decision makers so sometimes it seems like a player is rising but in reality the media is just catching up. Saying that not sure he should be considered the RB prize of the draft so much so that even in a mediocre class someone has to carry the mantle of top guy and I do think he is it with majority of NFL teams. We'll see.
I think people got their undies in a bundle when Brugler mocked him to #5 and it was reported he had ratings higher than Fournette by some NFL teams. I dont think some of those people have worked that bundle out and it's still giving them fits today, even though a more realistic projection is accepted. 

Knowing his stats and having seen him play numerous times, I don't see anything there other than just another good Alabama RB.  Nothing special.

RushHour said:

This isn't unique to just fantasy drafts. 

When Kyler Murray gets picked 1st overall in the NFL draft that will mark the second year in a row where the 1.1 NFL pick wasn't even being mocked as a 1st rounder in Dec/Jan mocks. 

NBC Sports' Peter King hears that the Oakland Raiders "love" Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs.

Jacobs (5'10/216) has been commonly mocked to the Raiders 24th or 27th overall pick, and now there's a report to back that connection up. Not only is Jacobs the type of player Jon Gruden would love -- powerful, competitive, a winner -- but he also fills a team need. Of course, positional value and Jacobs' limited production are reasons to dislike this pick, but those reasons don't appear to be enough to keep the Alabama back out of the top 40 picks.

SOURCE: Football Morning In America

Apr 8, 2019, 7:14 PM

This isn't unique to just fantasy drafts. 

When Kyler Murray gets picked 1st overall in the NFL draft that will mark the second year in a row where the 1.1 NFL pick wasn't even being mocked as a 1st rounder in Dec/Jan mocks. 
Trubisky and wentz were both late risers too if i remember correctly.  

In his three-round mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. does not have Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs going off the board until pick No. 35 to the Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders have been consistently linked to Jacobs, with NBC Sports' Peter King passing along earlier this week that Oakland "loves" the Alabama prospect. While Jon Gruden's crew might be infatuated with the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder, Kiper does not have the team using any of their three first-round selections on him. All told, he sees the Raiders using No. 4 on Quinnen Williams, No. 24 on Rock Ya-Sin, No. 27 on Irv Smith and then No. 35 on Jacobs. This would be a solid early haul for Oakland in our book, outside of the Smith pick, which feels a bit reach-y in our estimation.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Apr 10, 2019, 3:58 PM

Users who are viewing this thread